|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Chanel's sister's name?
2. Who was "Boy" Capel to Chanel?
3. What made Chanel memorable to everyone she met?
4. In the foreword, how is Chanel's work ethic described upon her return to Paris after her exile?
5. During her time at the chateau, to what did Chanel apply her charms and style?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Chanel memorable to the people who met her?
2. Emotionally, how important was Chanel's relationship with Arthur "Boy" Capel?
3. How is Chanel's style of working after her return to Paris described?
4. What are some pieces of fashionable styles for men named in the Introduction of the book?
5. Where was Chanel's family from, and where was she herself born?
6. What sort of environments was Chanel surrounded by as a child?
7. What caused the decline and collapse of French rural communities in the 1800s?
8. How did Chanel's relationships with aristocrats influence her work?
9. In Saumer, what influenced women's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
10. How was Chanel able to achieve success even through World War II?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chanel's self-imposed exile during and after WWII. Why did she go to Switzerland? What occurred in the fashion world while she was living in Switzerland? What spurred her to return to France?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Chanel's desire to create practical clothes for women. Describe the fashion during the Belle Ã‰poque and how Chanel desires to go in another direction with fashion. How were her designs more practical for the woman? What was impractical about the popular fashion before Chanel came along?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Belle Ã‰poque. What is it and when did it occur? How does the fashion and opulence of that time period compare to the fashion of Chanel? Why did the Belle Ã‰poque come to an end?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)