|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described as an important center of style in Chanel's birth city?
2. When did Chanel's father abandon her?
3. When did Chanel's parents marry?
4. What is said to have shaped the world in which Chanel spent her childhood?
5. Who was Etienne Balsan?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Saumer, what influenced women's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
2. What are some pieces of fashionable styles for men named in the Introduction of the book?
3. Because of her mother's death, what happened in Chanel's life?
4. What made Chanel memorable to the people who met her?
5. What did Chanel's father do for a living?
6. What was the result of Chanel's affair with a German officer?
7. Emotionally, how important was Chanel's relationship with Arthur "Boy" Capel?
8. How is Chanel's style of working after her return to Paris described?
9. What sort of environments was Chanel surrounded by as a child?
10. What caused the decline and collapse of French rural communities in the 1800s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of Chanel and Her World. Describe the last years of Chanel's career. Was Chanel successful until the end of her life? Did she remain as hardworking and innovative as she was in her earlier years before her exile?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influential relationships in Chanel's life. How did these relationships impact Chanel's career and her style?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of the book. How did the setting and the environment that Chanel was a part of affect her outlook and design aesthetic? What was going on in the world of fashion in France at the start of her career that allowed Chanel to become successful? Would Chanel have been as successful if she were from a different country? Why or why not?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)