|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city was Chanel born?
2. Who was the first of Chanel's relatives to give up day labor?
3. Which of the following is not described as an experience of Chanel's childhood?
4. For what was Etienne Balsan famous?
5. What did Chanel's great-grandfather use to rent a property?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Chanel's parents marry, and what did it mean for the family?
2. What was the result of Chanel's affair with a German officer?
3. What influenced men's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
4. Who was named as the fashion-setters at the end of the 1800s?
5. Where was Chanel's family from, and where was she herself born?
6. Emotionally, how important was Chanel's relationship with Arthur "Boy" Capel?
7. What did Chanel's father do for a living?
8. What was significant about August in Saumer?
9. Where did Chanel go after leaving the convent?
10. How is Chanel's style of working after her return to Paris described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Chanel as a business woman. How did she choose to run her business? Was she a successful business woman? What are some innovative things she did to improve business? How did her business sense improve overtime?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the photographs in the book. What impact do they have for the reader? Why were the particular photographs in the book chosen? What do the photographs tell the reader than the words do not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author of the book, Edmonde Charles-Roux. Is she qualified to tell this story? Why or why not? What was her relationship with Coco Chanel? Does she appear to have a biased view of Chanel? What is her background?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)