|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Chanel meet Etienne Balsan?
2. In what year was Chanel born?
3. For generations, what had Chanel's family made a living gathering?
4. What was Chanel's sister's name?
5. What was fashion at the time of Chanel's birth said to have made women look?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Chanel's great-grandfather establish for his family?
2. How was Chanel able to achieve success even through World War II?
3. Who was named as the fashion-setters at the end of the 1800s?
4. What sort of environments was Chanel surrounded by as a child?
5. What are some pieces of fashionable styles for men named in the Introduction of the book?
6. What caused the decline and collapse of French rural communities in the 1800s?
7. In Saumer, what influenced women's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
8. Who was Etienne Balsan?
9. What brought Chanel back to Paris in 1954?
10. What influenced men's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Chanel's life as a part of the demimonde. What was the demimonde? How did this time in her life impact her career?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the book, Edmonde Charles-Roux. Is she qualified to tell this story? Why or why not? What was her relationship with Coco Chanel? Does she appear to have a biased view of Chanel? What is her background?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Chanel's experience as a costumer. In what plays and productions was she involved? Why was she invited to Hollywood and how did that work out?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)