|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Chanel's parents marry?
2. How soon after opening Chanel's shop does WWI begin?
3. When did Chanel's father abandon her?
4. In the foreword, what is Chanel described as being "to the core"?
5. From which village did Chanel's family come?
Short Essay Questions
1. Because of her mother's death, what happened in Chanel's life?
2. What does Charles-Roux explain Chanel strove for her whole life to conceal?
3. What did Chanel's great-grandfather establish for his family?
4. What was significant about August in Saumer?
5. In Saumer, what influenced women's fashion at the time of Chanel's birth?
6. What brought Chanel back to Paris in 1954?
7. What sort of environments was Chanel surrounded by as a child?
8. When did Chanel's parents marry, and what did it mean for the family?
9. Emotionally, how important was Chanel's relationship with Arthur "Boy" Capel?
10. What had Chanel's family done for generations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of Chanel and Her World. Describe the last years of Chanel's career. Was Chanel successful until the end of her life? Did she remain as hardworking and innovative as she was in her earlier years before her exile?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways did Chanel's designs liberate women? What were women able to do with more ease because of the changes in fashion that Chanel was greatly responsible for?
Essay Topic 3
Chanel's life is the classic rags-to-riches story. Compare and contrast the poverty of her youth with the wealth and success she experienced at the height of her career.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)