|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which of her acquaintances did Chanel share a very similar background?
(a) Gabrielle Dorziat.
(b) Suzanne Orlandi.
(c) Cecil Sorel.
(d) Etienne Balsan.
2. What fashion staple did Chanel introduce in her black period?
(a) The little black dress.
(b) Black high heels.
(c) Black satin gloves.
(d) Matching purse and shoes.
3. What did Chanel realize she could do at Biarritz?
(a) Repeat the success she had in Deauville.
(b) Have her family near her while she worked.
(c) Mix anonymously with members of high-society.
(d) Start her career over again.
4. What did Chanel design to sell at Biarritz?
(b) Two-piece bathing suits.
(d) Straw hats.
5. Who did Chanel select to be the director of design for her new line of jewelry?
(a) Pierre Reverdy.
(b) Jacques Doucet.
(c) Comte Etienne de Beaumont.
(d) Jean Cocteau.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Chanel different from the other girls at the novitiate?
2. What did Boy's transfer away from the front lines allow him to do?
3. What property did Chanel purchase in cash for her business?
4. What invention made the flaws of women's dress apparent?
5. Who did Chanel choose as her lover from the 10th Chasseurs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What inspired Chanel's English period?
2. How did Chanel use her friends to find commercial success?
3. What was different about what Chanel wore to the racetrack?
4. What was life at Balsan's chateau like for Chanel?
5. What garment, common today, was conceived by Chanel?
6. According to Chanel, what made her successful in designing fashion for society?
7. What fascinated visitors to Chanel's Rue Cambon shop when it first opened?
8. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
9. In what way did Chanel's placement at a hosiery shop introduce her to high society?
10. What decision was Chanel required to make when she turned eighteen?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)