|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Chanel decide to enter the novitiate?
(a) Sixteen years old.
(b) Eighteen years old.
(c) Twenty years old.
(d) Ten years old.
2. What inspired Chanel's black period?
(a) A trip to the Black Forest.
(b) Space and stars.
(c) 1920s Art Deco.
(d) Mourning for Boy Capel.
3. What was Chanel's signature scent developed during her Russian Period.
(a) L'Heure Bleue.
(b) Chanel No. 5.
(c) Pot Pourri.
(d) Bois des ÃŽles.
4. What did Chanel realize she could do at Biarritz?
(a) Mix anonymously with members of high-society.
(b) Repeat the success she had in Deauville.
(c) Have her family near her while she worked.
(d) Start her career over again.
5. During Chanel's Russian Period, what did she incorporate into her fashions?
(a) French lace.
(b) Furs and embroidery.
(d) Crochet and macramé.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hats, what did Chanel turn her attention to designing?
2. Around the time Chanel was trying to break into the theatre, what performances were favored by the nouveau-riche?
3. What was distinctive about Clemenceau's manner of dress?
4. Who was Gabrielle Dorziat?
5. Who did Capel have make an elegant version of the simple lines Chanel always wore?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Balsan found out about Chanel's relationship with Capel?
2. What fascinated visitors to Chanel's Rue Cambon shop when it first opened?
3. In what way did Chanel's placement at a hosiery shop introduce her to high society?
4. What decision was Chanel required to make when she turned eighteen?
5. What inspired Chanel's English period?
6. What characterized Chanel's Russian period?
7. According to Chanel, what made her successful in designing fashion for society?
8. How did Boy Capel die, and who helped Chanel through her grieving?
9. Describe Emilienne d'Alecon.
10. What effect did the First World War have on women's fashion?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)