|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did Chanel stay at the novitiate?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Four years.
2. After opening the shop in Biarritz, how many people did Chanel have in her employ?
(a) One hundred and seventy-five.
(b) One hundred.
(c) Around fifty.
(d) Three hundred.
3. Who was George Clemenceau?
(a) An investor in Chanel's shop.
(b) France's President du Conceil.
(c) Chanel's main fashion industry rival in the 1910s.
(d) Boy Capel's business partner.
4. What variety of artist provided Chanel unexpected exposure?
(a) A fashion illustrator.
(b) A portrait painter.
(c) A charicaturist.
(d) An animator.
5. What did Chanel style her first summer home after?
(a) The orphanage she grew up in.
(b) Balsan's chateau.
(c) The Paris Museum of Natural History.
(d) Buckingham palace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eventually took over Chanel's shop at Biarritz?
2. In addition to Adrienne, who did Chanel recruit to wear her fashions around town?
3. Who took it upon herself to help Chanel recover from Boy's death?
4. What did Paul Morand write about Chanel and Capel?
5. How is the shop described where Chanel was sent to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Boy Capel die, and who helped Chanel through her grieving?
2. What happened when Balsan found out about Chanel's relationship with Capel?
3. Following her success as a hat designer, on what areas of fashion did Chanel focus her attention?
4. What was life at Balsan's chateau like for Chanel?
5. What effect did the First World War have on women's fashion?
6. What characterized Chanel's Russian period?
7. How did Chanel earn her nickname, "Coco"?
8. How did Chanel use her friends to find commercial success?
9. What was different about what Chanel wore to the racetrack?
10. How did Chanel benefit from the invasion of France in 1914?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)