|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Balsan allow Chanel to open up a millinery shop?
(a) On the grounds of his chateau.
(b) In a department store.
(c) In his unused apartment.
(d) On Rue Cambon.
2. For which stage production directed by Cocteau did Chanel act as costumer?
(a) La Lampe d'Aladin.
(b) Les Monstres sacrés.
3. How did Boy Capel die?
(a) In an automobile accident.
(b) From tuberculosis.
(c) In a hotel fire.
(d) By a case of measles.
4. Where did Chanel make her stage debut?
(b) Château de Boisclaireau.
(c) Moulin Rouge.
(d) La Rotunde.
5. Who eventually took over Chanel's shop at Biarritz?
(a) Boy Capel.
(b) Charles Fredrick Worth.
(c) Adrienne Chanel.
(d) Antoinette Chanel.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Chanel gain much of her business in 1914?
2. Who was George Clemenceau?
3. To which commission was Boy Capel transferred by Clemenceau?
4. What invention made the flaws of women's dress apparent?
5. What did Chanel style her first summer home after?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Chanel benefit from the invasion of France in 1914?
2. How did Boy Capel die, and who helped Chanel through her grieving?
3. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
4. What effect did the First World War have on women's fashion?
5. What happened when Balsan found out about Chanel's relationship with Capel?
6. In what way did Chanel's placement at a hosiery shop introduce her to high society?
7. What role did Vogue magazine play when Chanel began mass-producing dresses?
8. What fascinated visitors to Chanel's Rue Cambon shop when it first opened?
9. Explain Chanel's brief involvement with Hollywood.
10. Describe Emilienne d'Alecon.
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)