|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Chanel's signature scent developed during her Russian Period.
(a) Chanel No. 5.
(b) L'Heure Bleue.
(c) Bois des ÃŽles.
(d) Pot Pourri.
2. What invention made the flaws of women's dress apparent?
(a) Electric heaters.
(c) Motor vehicles.
(d) Washing machines.
3. Why did Chanel take a job as a water dispenser?
(a) To earn money for singing lessons.
(b) To earn money for fabrics and threads
(c) To pay for her sister's schooling.
(d) To brush shoulders with high society.
4. Who is said to have ushered Chanel into chateau life?
(a) Boy Capel.
(b) Adrienne Chanel.
(c) Etienne Balsan.
(d) Suzanne Orlandi.
5. Where did Chanel's nickname, Coco, come from?
(a) From the sound of her laughter.
(b) Songs she sang in the theatre.
(c) Her love for chocolate.
(d) Her tendency to wear brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did nostalgics lament about the direction of post-war fashion?
2. Who did Chanel describe as a nasal-voiced old clown?
3. Who was Gabrielle Dorziat?
4. How long did Chanel stay at the novitiate?
5. How did Boy Capel die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life at Balsan's chateau like for Chanel?
2. What was special about Chanel's work for the 1924 dance operetta, Blue Train?
3. What role did Vogue magazine play when Chanel began mass-producing dresses?
4. What fascinated visitors to Chanel's Rue Cambon shop when it first opened?
5. How did Chanel benefit from the invasion of France in 1914?
6. What inspired Chanel's English period?
7. In what way did Chanel's placement at a hosiery shop introduce her to high society?
8. Describe Emilienne d'Alecon.
9. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
10. How did Boy Capel die, and who helped Chanel through her grieving?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)