|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chanel realize she could do at Biarritz?
(a) Mix anonymously with members of high-society.
(b) Start her career over again.
(c) Have her family near her while she worked.
(d) Repeat the success she had in Deauville.
2. How long did Chanel stay at the novitiate?
(a) Four years.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
3. What major event occurred in 1914 which affected Chanel's work?
(a) A labor strike prevented the manufacture of fabrics.
(b) Downtown Paris flooded destroying Chanel's design shop.
(c) The Germans invaded France.
(d) A legislative election was held.
4. What did Boy's transfer away from the front lines allow him to do?
(a) Market research to benefit Chanel's shop.
(b) Devote time to publicizing Chanel.
(c) Hold more meetings with investors in Chanel's business.
(d) Take Chanel on vacation.
5. After opening the shop in Biarritz, how many people did Chanel have in her employ?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Around fifty.
(c) One hundred and seventy-five.
(d) Three hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. What garment gave Chanel her first major commercial success?
2. How long did Adrienne Chanel wait to marry her lover?
3. Who did Chanel choose as her lover from the 10th Chasseurs?
4. Who did Capel have make an elegant version of the simple lines Chanel always wore?
5. Where did Chanel's nickname, Coco, come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Chanel benefit from the invasion of France in 1914?
2. Following her success as a hat designer, on what areas of fashion did Chanel focus her attention?
3. What characterized Chanel's Russian period?
4. What garment, common today, was conceived by Chanel?
5. How did Boy Capel die, and who helped Chanel through her grieving?
6. Explain Chanel's brief involvement with Hollywood.
7. What role did Vogue magazine play when Chanel began mass-producing dresses?
8. How did late eighteenth-century photographs of Chanel already exhibit her unique style?
9. Explain how Chanel used mannequins to promote her work.
10. In what way did the invention of the motor vehicle highlight the impracticalities of women's fashion?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)