|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Chanel select to be the director of design for her new line of jewelry?
(a) Comte Etienne de Beaumont.
(b) Jacques Doucet.
(c) Jean Cocteau.
(d) Pierre Reverdy.
2. To which commission was Boy Capel transferred by Clemenceau?
(a) The Franco-English wartime coal commission.
(b) The Paris city protection commission.
(c) The naval ship building commission
(d) The patent application commission.
3. Where did Chanel's nickname, Coco, come from?
(a) Her love for chocolate.
(b) Her tendency to wear brown.
(c) From the sound of her laughter.
(d) Songs she sang in the theatre.
4. At what age did Chanel decide to enter the novitiate?
(a) Twenty years old.
(b) Ten years old.
(c) Eighteen years old.
(d) Sixteen years old.
5. How long did Adrienne Chanel wait to marry her lover?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
6. What was distinctive about Clemenceau's manner of dress?
(a) It was a combination of finery and rumpled field clothes.
(b) It was intricately decorated.
(c) It was a combination of men's and women's clothing.
(d) It was considered inappropriate for a man of his age.
7. Who was Adrienne Chanel?
(a) Coco's mother.
(b) Coco's cousin.
(c) Coco's aunt.
(d) Coco's sister.
8. What were the 10th Chasseurs?
(a) A travelling group of performers.
(b) A group of nineteenth century painters and poets.
(c) A regiment of aristocratic gentlemen.
(d) A nickname for the royal family.
9. After opening the shop in Biarritz, how many people did Chanel have in her employ?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Around fifty.
(c) One hundred and seventy-five.
(d) One hundred.
10. Where did Balsan allow Chanel to open up a millinery shop?
(a) In a department store.
(b) On Rue Cambon.
(c) On the grounds of his chateau.
(d) In his unused apartment.
11. Around the time Chanel was trying to break into the theatre, what performances were favored by the nouveau-riche?
(a) Orchestral performances.
(c) Poetry readings.
12. Why did Chanel take a job as a water dispenser?
(a) To earn money for fabrics and threads
(b) To earn money for singing lessons.
(c) To brush shoulders with high society.
(d) To pay for her sister's schooling.
13. Simply put, for what did Chanel become famous?
(a) Being different.
(c) Her love life.
(d) Shocking the public.
14. During Chanel's Russian Period, what did she incorporate into her fashions?
(a) Furs and embroidery.
(b) French lace.
(c) Crochet and macramé.
15. After WWI, what image did women want fashion to project?
(a) That they took pride in their looks.
(b) That they were as tough as men.
(c) That they were to be taken seriously.
(d) That they were dainty and delicate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Le Mode magazine begin to do which helped Chanel's career?
2. While living at the chateau, what did Chanel begin to develop a wardrobe specifically for?
3. What was the occupation of Chanel's friend, Caryathis?
4. Who took it upon herself to help Chanel recover from Boy's death?
5. How long did Chanel stay at the novitiate?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)