|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To which of her acquaintances did Chanel share a very similar background?
(a) Suzanne Orlandi.
(b) Etienne Balsan.
(c) Gabrielle Dorziat.
(d) Cecil Sorel.
2. Where did Chanel open a shop with help from Capel?
(a) The Ritz Hotel.
(b) Beside a theatre.
(c) On Rue Rivoli.
(d) On Rue Cambon.
3. What was distinctive about Clemenceau's manner of dress?
(a) It was a combination of finery and rumpled field clothes.
(b) It was considered inappropriate for a man of his age.
(c) It was a combination of men's and women's clothing.
(d) It was intricately decorated.
4. During Chanel's Russian Period, what did she incorporate into her fashions?
(a) Furs and embroidery.
(b) Crochet and macramé.
(d) French lace.
5. How long did Adrienne Chanel wait to marry her lover?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
6. Why did Sam Goldwyn want to use Chanel's fashions in his films?
(a) To create a timeless look for his films.
(b) To attract women to the cinema.
(c) To capitalize on Chanel's fame.
(d) To help Chanel out when business was bad.
7. What did Chanel style her first summer home after?
(a) The Paris Museum of Natural History.
(b) Balsan's chateau.
(c) The orphanage she grew up in.
(d) Buckingham palace.
8. What was the occupation of Chanel's friend, Caryathis?
(a) A cubist painter.
(b) A dancer.
(c) A fashion designer.
(d) A concert pianist.
9. Who eased the public into accepting the idea of mass-produced dresses by Chanel?
(a) The retailers who sold the dresses.
(b) Vogue magazine.
(c) Le Mode magazine.
(d) Newspaper fashion editors.
10. How is Boy Capel's attitude described?
11. What did Le Mode magazine begin to do which helped Chanel's career?
(a) Focusing on active wear.
(b) Printing in color.
(c) Photographing women outdoors.
(d) Reporting on up-and-coming designers.
12. Who arranged a job for Chanel at a shop?
(a) A former teacher.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) A local merchant.
(d) Her canonesses.
13. How did Chanel wear her collars which were unlike other women of the time?
(a) Decorated with frills and lace.
(b) Chanel purposely never wore collared shirts.
(c) Popped up.
(d) As simple folded-down squares.
14. What common item of clothing was Chanel credited with developing?
(a) Women's shorts.
(b) The bathing suit.
(c) Knitted sweaters.
(d) The boater hat.
15. After WWI, what image did women want fashion to project?
(a) That they were as tough as men.
(b) That they were to be taken seriously.
(c) That they were dainty and delicate.
(d) That they took pride in their looks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What variety of artist provided Chanel unexpected exposure?
2. Who did Chanel choose as her lover from the 10th Chasseurs?
3. Because of her inexperience in the fashion trade, what characterized Chanel's shop?
4. What did Chanel design to sell at Biarritz?
5. Who was Gabrielle Dorziat?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)