|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Chanel open a shop with help from Capel?
(a) On Rue Cambon.
(b) On Rue Rivoli.
(c) Beside a theatre.
(d) The Ritz Hotel.
2. As a young woman, on what did Adrienne Chanel focus her attention?
(a) Being accepted in high society.
(b) Having a career in fashion.
(c) Raising her siblings.
(d) Studying at university.
3. Where did Chanel's nickname, Coco, come from?
(a) Her love for chocolate.
(b) Her tendency to wear brown.
(c) From the sound of her laughter.
(d) Songs she sang in the theatre.
4. What did Chanel do in order to have her fashions publicized?
(a) Staged shows for magazine editors.
(b) Sent samples to fashion magazines.
(c) Held in-store parties for her clients.
(d) Dressed her influential friends.
5. What did Paul Morand write about Chanel and Capel?
(a) A short story.
(b) A play.
(c) An opera.
(d) A magazine article.
6. What were the 10th Chasseurs?
(a) A nickname for the royal family.
(b) A travelling group of performers.
(c) A group of nineteenth century painters and poets.
(d) A regiment of aristocratic gentlemen.
7. Around the time Chanel was trying to break into the theatre, what performances were favored by the nouveau-riche?
(c) Poetry readings.
(d) Orchestral performances.
8. Where did Chanel make her stage debut?
(a) Château de Boisclaireau.
(c) Moulin Rouge.
(d) La Rotunde.
9. Who arranged a job for Chanel at a shop?
(a) A local merchant.
(b) Her canonesses.
(c) A former teacher.
(d) Her uncle.
10. Because of her inexperience in the fashion trade, what characterized Chanel's shop?
(a) Ill-fitting clothes.
(b) Inconsistent business hours.
(c) Underpriced merchandise.
(d) A sense of looseness.
11. Why did Chanel take a job as a water dispenser?
(a) To earn money for fabrics and threads
(b) To earn money for singing lessons.
(c) To pay for her sister's schooling.
(d) To brush shoulders with high society.
12. How long did Chanel stay at the novitiate?
(a) Four years.
(b) Two years.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
13. What invention made the flaws of women's dress apparent?
(a) Electric heaters.
(c) Washing machines.
(d) Motor vehicles.
14. Who was Emilienne d'Alecon?
(a) Chanel's aunt.
(b) A leading fashion designer.
(c) A popular actress.
(d) A courtesan and poet.
15. Where did Balsan allow Chanel to open up a millinery shop?
(a) On the grounds of his chateau.
(b) On Rue Cambon.
(c) In his unused apartment.
(d) In a department store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fashion staple did Chanel introduce in her black period?
2. What did Chanel believe people looked to her designs for?
3. What did Chanel style her first summer home after?
4. Simply put, for what did Chanel become famous?
5. What garment gave Chanel her first major commercial success?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)