|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After WWI, what image did women want fashion to project?
(a) That they were to be taken seriously.
(b) That they took pride in their looks.
(c) That they were as tough as men.
(d) That they were dainty and delicate.
2. How long did Chanel stay at the novitiate?
(a) Two years.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Four years.
3. What inspired Chanel's black period?
(a) Mourning for Boy Capel.
(b) 1920s Art Deco.
(c) A trip to the Black Forest.
(d) Space and stars.
4. What made Chanel different from the other girls at the novitiate?
(a) She dressed differently.
(b) She had no interest in religious life.
(c) She did not come from a wealthy family.
(d) She was an orphan.
5. What was the occupation of Chanel's friend, Caryathis?
(a) A concert pianist.
(b) A fashion designer.
(c) A dancer.
(d) A cubist painter.
6. As a young woman, on what did Adrienne Chanel focus her attention?
(a) Being accepted in high society.
(b) Having a career in fashion.
(c) Raising her siblings.
(d) Studying at university.
7. From where did Chanel gain much of her business in 1914?
(a) Wealthy people replacing their clothes destroyed in the war.
(b) Manufacturing military uniforms.
(c) Christmas sales of her popular new perfume.
(d) Doing business with Hollywood.
8. What did Chanel style her first summer home after?
(a) The orphanage she grew up in.
(b) Balsan's chateau.
(c) Buckingham palace.
(d) The Paris Museum of Natural History.
9. For which stage production directed by Cocteau did Chanel act as costumer?
(b) Les Monstres sacrés.
(d) La Lampe d'Aladin.
10. Where did Chanel's nickname, Coco, come from?
(a) From the sound of her laughter.
(b) Her love for chocolate.
(c) Her tendency to wear brown.
(d) Songs she sang in the theatre.
11. Who arranged a job for Chanel at a shop?
(a) A former teacher.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) A local merchant.
(d) Her canonesses.
12. What did nostalgics lament about the direction of post-war fashion?
(a) That it was the end of the "golden era."
(b) That it was the end of opulence.
(c) That it was the end of good taste.
(d) That it was the end of durable fabrics.
13. What were the first of Chanel's designs to become popular?
(a) Her sweaters.
(b) Her dresses.
(c) Her hats.
(d) Her jewelry designs.
14. Why did Sam Goldwyn want to use Chanel's fashions in his films?
(a) To capitalize on Chanel's fame.
(b) To help Chanel out when business was bad.
(c) To create a timeless look for his films.
(d) To attract women to the cinema.
15. What invention made the flaws of women's dress apparent?
(a) Washing machines.
(c) Motor vehicles.
(d) Electric heaters.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Chanel decide to enter the novitiate?
2. Who was Emilienne d'Alecon?
3. What did Chanel believe people looked to her designs for?
4. How did the press regard Chanel as she gained fame?
5. Where did Chanel make her stage debut?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)