|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Simply put, for what did Chanel become famous?
(a) Being different.
(b) Shocking the public.
(c) Her love life.
2. What did Chanel do in order to have her fashions publicized?
(a) Sent samples to fashion magazines.
(b) Dressed her influential friends.
(c) Held in-store parties for her clients.
(d) Staged shows for magazine editors.
3. How is the shop described where Chanel was sent to work?
(a) As small and dingy.
(b) As busy.
(c) As elegant.
(d) As inviting.
4. After hats, what did Chanel turn her attention to designing?
(b) Active wear.
(c) Ball gowns.
(d) Wedding dresses.
5. What was the occupation of Chanel's friend, Caryathis?
(a) A dancer.
(b) A fashion designer.
(c) A concert pianist.
(d) A cubist painter.
6. What did Boy's transfer away from the front lines allow him to do?
(a) Take Chanel on vacation.
(b) Devote time to publicizing Chanel.
(c) Market research to benefit Chanel's shop.
(d) Hold more meetings with investors in Chanel's business.
7. Who eventually took over Chanel's shop at Biarritz?
(a) Boy Capel.
(b) Charles Fredrick Worth.
(c) Antoinette Chanel.
(d) Adrienne Chanel.
8. During Chanel's Russian Period, what did she incorporate into her fashions?
(a) Furs and embroidery.
(c) Crochet and macramé.
(d) French lace.
9. Why did Chanel take a job as a water dispenser?
(a) To earn money for singing lessons.
(b) To pay for her sister's schooling.
(c) To brush shoulders with high society.
(d) To earn money for fabrics and threads
10. What was Chanel's signature scent developed during her Russian Period.
(a) Bois des ÃŽles.
(b) Chanel No. 5.
(c) Pot Pourri.
(d) L'Heure Bleue.
11. Who was Emilienne d'Alecon?
(a) A courtesan and poet.
(b) A leading fashion designer.
(c) A popular actress.
(d) Chanel's aunt.
12. What garment gave Chanel her first major commercial success?
(a) A corset-less suit.
(b) A silk capelet.
(c) A folded-collar blouse.
(d) A beaded ladies' dinner jacket.
13. To which of her acquaintances did Chanel share a very similar background?
(a) Etienne Balsan.
(b) Gabrielle Dorziat.
(c) Suzanne Orlandi.
(d) Cecil Sorel.
14. What did Chanel realize she could do at Biarritz?
(a) Have her family near her while she worked.
(b) Start her career over again.
(c) Repeat the success she had in Deauville.
(d) Mix anonymously with members of high-society.
15. Who did Chanel select to be the director of design for her new line of jewelry?
(a) Pierre Reverdy.
(b) Jean Cocteau.
(c) Comte Etienne de Beaumont.
(d) Jacques Doucet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Chanel introduce to her collections in 1932?
2. What fashion staple did Chanel introduce in her black period?
3. At what age did Chanel decide to enter the novitiate?
4. Why did Sam Goldwyn want to use Chanel's fashions in his films?
5. What property did Chanel purchase in cash for her business?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)