|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chanel realize she could do at Biarritz?
(a) Mix anonymously with members of high-society.
(b) Repeat the success she had in Deauville.
(c) Have her family near her while she worked.
(d) Start her career over again.
2. To which commission was Boy Capel transferred by Clemenceau?
(a) The Paris city protection commission.
(b) The Franco-English wartime coal commission.
(c) The patent application commission.
(d) The naval ship building commission
3. What common item of clothing was Chanel credited with developing?
(a) Women's shorts.
(b) Knitted sweaters.
(c) The bathing suit.
(d) The boater hat.
4. Who lived nearby to Chanel's millinery shop?
(a) Adrienne Chanel.
(b) Boy Capel.
(c) Pierre Reverdy.
(d) George Clemenceau.
5. How is Boy Capel's attitude described?
6. Where did Chanel open a shop with help from Capel?
(a) Beside a theatre.
(b) The Ritz Hotel.
(c) On Rue Cambon.
(d) On Rue Rivoli.
7. Where did Balsan allow Chanel to open up a millinery shop?
(a) On the grounds of his chateau.
(b) In a department store.
(c) In his unused apartment.
(d) On Rue Cambon.
8. Chanel designed costumes for plays at which venue?
(a) Balsan's chateau.
(b) La Rotunde.
(c) The Moulin Rouge.
(d) The palace at Versailles.
9. Who did Capel have make an elegant version of the simple lines Chanel always wore?
(a) Chanel herself.
(b) One of his mistresses.
(c) A competing designer.
(d) An English tailor.
10. What was the occupation of Chanel's friend, Caryathis?
(a) A concert pianist.
(b) A cubist painter.
(c) A dancer.
(d) A fashion designer.
11. From where did Chanel gain much of her business in 1914?
(a) Wealthy people replacing their clothes destroyed in the war.
(b) Manufacturing military uniforms.
(c) Doing business with Hollywood.
(d) Christmas sales of her popular new perfume.
12. Around the time Chanel was trying to break into the theatre, what performances were favored by the nouveau-riche?
(a) Poetry readings.
(b) Orchestral performances.
13. Who was George Clemenceau?
(a) Boy Capel's business partner.
(b) An investor in Chanel's shop.
(c) Chanel's main fashion industry rival in the 1910s.
(d) France's President du Conceil.
14. What variety of artist provided Chanel unexpected exposure?
(a) A charicaturist.
(b) A fashion illustrator.
(c) An animator.
(d) A portrait painter.
15. What was Chanel's signature scent developed during her Russian Period.
(a) Bois des ÃŽles.
(b) Chanel No. 5.
(c) L'Heure Bleue.
(d) Pot Pourri.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Le Mode magazine begin to do which helped Chanel's career?
2. Who eventually took over Chanel's shop at Biarritz?
3. What major event occurred in 1914 which affected Chanel's work?
4. What was Chanel's role in her theatre performances?
5. Why did Chanel take a job as a water dispenser?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)