|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chanel do for her friend Raymond Radiguet?
(a) Paid for his daughter's schooling.
(b) Paid his hospital bills.
(c) Hired him as an assistant designer.
(d) Bought him an apartment.
2. What fashion staple did Chanel introduce in her black period?
(a) Matching purse and shoes.
(b) Black high heels.
(c) Black satin gloves.
(d) The little black dress.
3. What variety of artist provided Chanel unexpected exposure?
(a) A charicaturist.
(b) A portrait painter.
(c) A fashion illustrator.
(d) An animator.
4. Why did Sam Goldwyn want to use Chanel's fashions in his films?
(a) To capitalize on Chanel's fame.
(b) To create a timeless look for his films.
(c) To attract women to the cinema.
(d) To help Chanel out when business was bad.
5. Who did Chanel choose as her lover from the 10th Chasseurs?
(a) Boy Capel.
(b) Etienne Balsan.
(c) The Duke of Westminster.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
6. What did Chanel believe people looked to her designs for?
(a) Sartorial expression.
(c) A new modern lifestyle.
(d) The prestige of her name on the label.
7. What were the 10th Chasseurs?
(a) A regiment of aristocratic gentlemen.
(b) A nickname for the royal family.
(c) A group of nineteenth century painters and poets.
(d) A travelling group of performers.
8. In "Coco, a Kept Woman," which of the following is not described as one of the dominant designers in Paris fashion?
(a) Charles Fredrick Worth.
(b) Jeanne Paquin.
(c) Jacques Doucet.
(d) Paul Poiret.
9. How long did Adrienne Chanel wait to marry her lover?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Ten years.
10. For which stage production directed by Cocteau did Chanel act as costumer?
(a) La Lampe d'Aladin.
(b) Les Monstres sacrés.
11. Where did Chanel's nickname, Coco, come from?
(a) Her tendency to wear brown.
(b) From the sound of her laughter.
(c) Her love for chocolate.
(d) Songs she sang in the theatre.
12. In addition to Adrienne, who did Chanel recruit to wear her fashions around town?
(a) Genevieve Vix.
(b) Suzanne d'Orlandi.
(c) Her sister Antoinette.
(d) Gabrielle Dorziat.
13. Who did Chanel describe as a nasal-voiced old clown?
(a) Emilienne d'Alecon.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) Sarah Bernhardt.
(d) Gabrielle Dorziat.
14. Who was Emilienne d'Alecon?
(a) A leading fashion designer.
(b) A courtesan and poet.
(c) A popular actress.
(d) Chanel's aunt.
15. As a young woman, on what did Adrienne Chanel focus her attention?
(a) Studying at university.
(b) Raising her siblings.
(c) Having a career in fashion.
(d) Being accepted in high society.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chanel open a shop with help from Capel?
2. What was distinctive about Clemenceau's manner of dress?
3. What did Chanel style her first summer home after?
4. What invention made the flaws of women's dress apparent?
5. To which commission was Boy Capel transferred by Clemenceau?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)