|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Chanel meet Etienne Balsan?
2. In the foreword, how is Chanel's work ethic described upon her return to Paris after her exile?
3. What does biographer Edmonde Charles-Roux say Chanel tried to conceal her entire life?
(a) Her real name.
(b) Her shoe size.
(c) Her religious beliefs.
(d) The circumstances of her birth.
4. At the time of her birth, what was Chanel's mother's marital status?
5. In what year did Chanel return to Paris fashion?
6. When she was twenty years old, in which town was Chanel offered a job?
7. Who was Etienne Balsan?
(a) A horse breeder and equestrian.
(b) An architect and painter.
(c) A manufacturer of uniforms.
(d) An investment banker.
8. How soon after opening Chanel's shop does WWI begin?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) Six months.
(d) A year and a half.
9. What did Chanel's frequent role as a mistress to married men make her yearn for?
(a) A man to chose her above all others.
(b) The good sense to stay away from married men.
(c) For marriage to be outlawed.
(d) A life on her own.
10. Which of the following events was not described as happening when Chanel was born?
(a) Riding instructions.
(b) Presentations of troops.
11. In the city where Chanel was born, what influenced women's fashion?
(a) Bohemian artistry.
(b) The harsh dust and sun.
(c) The proximity to the sea.
(d) The cold climate.
12. What occupation was Chanel's father?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A traveling peddler.
(d) A tailor.
13. What effect did the plagues have on provincial villages?
(a) The plagues had no lasting effect on provincial villages.
(b) Villages began to collapse.
(c) Village communities became distrustful of outsiders.
(d) Village populations began to grow.
14. What kind of orphanage took in Chanel after she was abandoned?
(a) A foreign orphanage.
(b) A provincial orphanage.
(c) A private orphanage.
(d) A city orphanage.
15. In what area was Chanel's pairing with "Boy" Capel advantageous?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the style of the era when Chanel was born?
2. Who was "Boy" Capel to Chanel?
3. In the city where Chanel was born, for how long had women's fashion gone unchanged?
4. What was Chanel's sudden return to Paris fashion described as?
5. What brought Chanel back to Paris?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)