|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was "Boy" Capel to Chanel?
(a) The only man Chanel would ever love.
(b) A distant relation.
(c) A rival.
(d) Her trusted business partner.
2. In the foreword, what is Chanel described as being "to the core"?
(a) A romantic.
(b) An innovator.
(c) An idealist.
(d) A businesswoman.
3. What is said to have shaped the world in which Chanel spent her childhood?
(a) Her mother's poor mental health.
(b) The war.
(c) The disruption of family life.
(d) Abject poverty.
4. In which city was Chanel born?
5. When she was twenty years old, in which town was Chanel offered a job?
6. How soon after opening Chanel's shop does WWI begin?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) A year and a half.
7. In her twenties, in which artistic field did Chanel attempt to find success?
(a) In painting.
(b) In dance.
(c) In music.
(d) In the theatre.
8. What was Chanel's sister's name?
9. What is described as an important center of style in Chanel's birth city?
(a) The courthouse.
(b) The church.
(c) The opera house.
(d) The racetrack.
10. At what age did Chanel leave the orphanage?
11. Who was the first of Chanel's relatives to give up day labor?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her great-grandfather.
(d) Her uncle.
12. Where would Chanel's family gather their harvest from?
(b) Farmed land.
13. Which of the following events was not described as happening when Chanel was born?
(a) Presentations of troops.
(c) Riding instructions.
14. What influenced the design of men's clothes when Chanel was growing up?
(a) The need to be outdoors.
(b) The need to walk long distances.
(c) The need to impress women.
(d) The need to ride horses.
15. What did Chanel's great-grandfather use to rent a property?
(a) Gambling winnings.
(b) He traded livestock.
(c) His wife's dowry.
(d) An inheritance.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Chanel return to Paris fashion?
2. For what was Etienne Balsan famous?
3. For generations, what was Chanel's family's financial situation?
4. What was Coco Chanel's real first name?
5. In the city where Chanel was born, what was August known as?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)