|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is said to have shaped the world in which Chanel spent her childhood?
(a) The disruption of family life.
(b) Her mother's poor mental health.
(c) Abject poverty.
(d) The war.
2. In the city where Chanel was born, for how long had women's fashion gone unchanged?
(a) For decades.
(b) For a hundred years.
(c) For fifty years.
(d) For not very long.
3. What hobby did Chanel adopt after meeting Balsan?
(b) Horseback riding.
(d) Dog breeding.
4. After leaving the orphanage, where did Chanel go to live?
(a) A convent.
(b) With relatives.
(c) A country manor.
(d) A boarding school.
5. Who was the first of Chanel's relatives to give up day labor?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her great-grandfather.
(d) Her uncle.
6. What was fashion at the time of Chanel's birth said to have made women look?
(a) Like haystacks.
(b) Like pillowcases.
(c) Deformed and crippled.
(d) Like decorated cakes.
7. In what year was Chanel born?
8. What part of Chanel's life is explored in the book's Introduction?
(a) Her young adulthood.
(b) Her middle age.
(c) Her life just before her death.
(d) Her early childhood.
9. In what area was Chanel's pairing with "Boy" Capel advantageous?
10. In what country was Coco Chanel born?
11. How soon after opening Chanel's shop does WWI begin?
(a) A year and a half.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
12. When did Chanel's father abandon her?
(a) When he joined the military.
(b) After her mother's death.
(c) At her birth.
(d) When he got married.
13. What was Chanel's father's name?
14. Who are described as the fashion setters at the end of the 1800s?
(b) Bohemian artisans.
(c) Silent film stars.
(d) Aristocratic ladies and gentlemen.
15. What was Chanel said to have become to "all the young lions of the age"?
(a) A target.
(b) A trophy.
(c) A distraction.
(d) A darling.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did plagues begin to sweep through provincial villages?
2. For generations, what was Chanel's family's financial situation?
3. From which village did Chanel's family come?
4. At the time of her birth, what was Chanel's mother's marital status?
5. For what was Etienne Balsan famous?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)