|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occupation was Chanel's father?
(a) A tailor.
(b) A traveling peddler.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A farmer.
2. What was "Boy" Capel's first name?
3. What does biographer Edmonde Charles-Roux say Chanel tried to conceal her entire life?
(a) Her real name.
(b) The circumstances of her birth.
(c) Her shoe size.
(d) Her religious beliefs.
4. What was the style of the era when Chanel was born?
5. What made Chanel memorable to everyone she met?
(a) Her booming voice.
(b) Her vibrancy.
(c) Her constant laughter.
(d) Her strange dress-sense.
6. What was fashion at the time of Chanel's birth said to have made women look?
(a) Like pillowcases.
(b) Deformed and crippled.
(c) Like haystacks.
(d) Like decorated cakes.
7. What kind of orphanage took in Chanel after she was abandoned?
(a) A city orphanage.
(b) A provincial orphanage.
(c) A foreign orphanage.
(d) A private orphanage.
8. With which of the following dukes did Chanel have a relationship?
(a) The Duke of Savoy.
(b) The Duke of Westminster.
(c) The Duke of Lorraine.
(d) The Duke of Burgundy.
9. Who are described as the fashion setters at the end of the 1800s?
(a) Aristocratic ladies and gentlemen.
(b) Silent film stars.
(d) Bohemian artisans.
10. What did Chanel's frequent role as a mistress to married men make her yearn for?
(a) A man to chose her above all others.
(b) For marriage to be outlawed.
(c) The good sense to stay away from married men.
(d) A life on her own.
11. Where would Chanel's family gather their harvest from?
(c) Farmed land.
12. How soon after opening Chanel's shop does WWI begin?
(a) Six months.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) A year and a half.
13. In the foreword, how is Chanel's work ethic described upon her return to Paris after her exile?
14. When she was twenty years old, in what kind of establishment was Chanel offered a job?
(a) A tailor's shop.
(b) A shoe factory.
(c) A shop.
(d) A cafe.
15. What property did Chanel's great-grandfather rent?
(a) A store room.
(b) A hall.
(c) A plot of farm land.
(d) An inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city was Chanel born?
2. In what year did Chanel return to Paris fashion?
3. In her twenties, in which artistic field did Chanel attempt to find success?
4. Which of the following did Chanel's father sell?
5. What hobby did Chanel adopt after meeting Balsan?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)