|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not described as an experience of Chanel's childhood?
(a) Fashion shows.
(c) Huge family gatherings.
(d) Public markets.
2. For generations, what was Chanel's family's financial situation?
(a) Her family was wealthy.
(b) Her family was working class.
(c) Her family was poor.
(d) Her family was middle class.
3. What property did Chanel's great-grandfather rent?
(a) A hall.
(b) A store room.
(c) A plot of farm land.
(d) An inn.
4. In the city where Chanel was born, for how long had women's fashion gone unchanged?
(a) For a hundred years.
(b) For not very long.
(c) For fifty years.
(d) For decades.
5. With which of the following dukes did Chanel have a relationship?
(a) The Duke of Savoy.
(b) The Duke of Burgundy.
(c) The Duke of Westminster.
(d) The Duke of Lorraine.
6. In terms of fashion, what was evolving quickly when Chanel was born?
(a) Lengths of skirts.
(b) Women's fashions.
(c) Men's fashion.
(d) The use of modern fabrics.
7. What was Chanel's father's name?
8. What is said to have shaped the world in which Chanel spent her childhood?
(a) The war.
(b) Her mother's poor mental health.
(c) The disruption of family life.
(d) Abject poverty.
9. In her twenties, in which artistic field did Chanel attempt to find success?
(a) In music.
(b) In dance.
(c) In the theatre.
(d) In painting.
10. What was the style of the era when Chanel was born?
11. In the foreword, how is Chanel's work ethic described upon her return to Paris after her exile?
12. In the city where Chanel was born, what influenced women's fashion?
(a) The cold climate.
(b) The proximity to the sea.
(c) The harsh dust and sun.
(d) Bohemian artistry.
13. What kind of shop did Chanel open?
(a) A millinery shop.
(b) A hosiery shop.
(c) A haberdashery.
(d) A dress shop.
14. When did Chanel's parents marry?
(a) Two months before her birth.
(b) A few months after her birth.
(c) Three years after her birth.
15. What was Chanel's sudden return to Paris fashion described as?
(a) An unwelcomed return.
(b) A well-timed homecoming.
(c) A rebirth.
(d) A lightning reappearance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hobby did Chanel adopt after meeting Balsan?
2. What was Chanel said to have become to "all the young lions of the age"?
3. At what age did Chanel meet Etienne Balsan?
4. What influenced the design of men's clothes when Chanel was growing up?
5. Where would Chanel's family gather their harvest from?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)