|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chanel's great-grandfather use to rent a property?
(a) Gambling winnings.
(b) His wife's dowry.
(c) An inheritance.
(d) He traded livestock.
2. What influenced the design of men's clothes when Chanel was growing up?
(a) The need to be outdoors.
(b) The need to walk long distances.
(c) The need to impress women.
(d) The need to ride horses.
3. What did Chanel's frequent role as a mistress to married men make her yearn for?
(a) The good sense to stay away from married men.
(b) For marriage to be outlawed.
(c) A man to chose her above all others.
(d) A life on her own.
4. Which of the following events was not described as happening when Chanel was born?
(a) Presentations of troops.
(b) Riding instructions.
5. Who are described as the fashion setters at the end of the 1800s?
(a) Silent film stars.
(c) Bohemian artisans.
(d) Aristocratic ladies and gentlemen.
6. Which of the following is not described as an experience of Chanel's childhood?
(a) Public markets.
(b) Fashion shows.
(d) Huge family gatherings.
7. What is described as an important center of style in Chanel's birth city?
(a) The racetrack.
(b) The church.
(c) The courthouse.
(d) The opera house.
8. What was Chanel's sister's name?
9. In which city was Chanel born?
10. From which village did Chanel's family come?
11. What was Chanel's sudden return to Paris fashion described as?
(a) A rebirth.
(b) A lightning reappearance.
(c) An unwelcomed return.
(d) A well-timed homecoming.
12. Who provided Chanel the finances to open her shop?
(a) A government grant.
(d) Her grandfather.
13. What kind of orphanage took in Chanel after she was abandoned?
(a) A city orphanage.
(b) A private orphanage.
(c) A provincial orphanage.
(d) A foreign orphanage.
14. What was Coco Chanel's real first name?
15. What is said to have shaped the world in which Chanel spent her childhood?
(a) The war.
(b) The disruption of family life.
(c) Her mother's poor mental health.
(d) Abject poverty.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chanel go during her self-imposed exile following her scandalous affair?
2. When did Chanel's parents marry?
3. What effect did the plagues have on provincial villages?
4. At the time of her birth, what was Chanel's mother's marital status?
5. Which of the following was not described as a popular fashion at the end of the 1800s?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)