|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Chanel feel about the place where she stayed after leaving the orphanage?
(a) Chanel felt unwelcome.
(b) Chanel felt the need to escape.
(c) Chanel felt as if she was making a difference.
(d) Chanel felt at home.
2. In what year did Chanel return to Paris fashion?
3. At what age did Chanel meet Etienne Balsan?
4. What was Chanel's sudden return to Paris fashion described as?
(a) A lightning reappearance.
(b) A well-timed homecoming.
(c) A rebirth.
(d) An unwelcomed return.
5. For generations, what had Chanel's family made a living gathering?
6. In the city where Chanel was born, what influenced women's fashion?
(a) The cold climate.
(b) The harsh dust and sun.
(c) The proximity to the sea.
(d) Bohemian artistry.
7. What brought Chanel back to Paris?
(a) Her company was on the brink of bankruptcy.
(b) She missed her family.
(c) She missed her friends.
(d) Her competition with Christian Dior.
8. What is described as an important center of style in Chanel's birth city?
(a) The courthouse.
(b) The church.
(c) The racetrack.
(d) The opera house.
9. What happened when Chanel's parents marry?
(a) Chanel's parents became eligible for an inheritance.
(b) Chanel went to live with them in Paris.
(c) Chanel's parents did not marry.
(d) Albert Chanel officially became her father.
10. In what area was Chanel's pairing with "Boy" Capel advantageous?
11. What occupation was Chanel's father?
(a) A traveling peddler.
(b) A farmer.
(c) A tailor.
(d) A teacher.
12. Who was the first of Chanel's family to work as a peddler?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her grandfather.
(c) Her great-grandfather.
(d) Her father.
13. What effect did the plagues have on provincial villages?
(a) Village communities became distrustful of outsiders.
(b) Village populations began to grow.
(c) The plagues had no lasting effect on provincial villages.
(d) Villages began to collapse.
14. What was the style of the era when Chanel was born?
15. In the foreword, what is Chanel described as being "to the core"?
(a) An idealist.
(b) A romantic.
(c) An innovator.
(d) A businesswoman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first of Chanel's relatives to give up day labor?
2. What kind of shop did Chanel open?
3. What was "Boy" Capel's first name?
4. In her twenties, in which artistic field did Chanel attempt to find success?
5. What property did Chanel's great-grandfather rent?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)