|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does not characterize Phil?
2. Why does George believe that Phil was able to seduce Marion?
3. Why does Coach say he never married?
4. Who advised George to put his child in an institution?
5. Which of the men falls down the steps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of men in the 1970s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not?
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)