|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coach remind Phil of in hopes that Phil will contribute to George's campaign?
2. How does the author show that George is emotionally distant?
3. Why does Phil say he can't afford to support George?
4. What are the men doing as Act 2 begins?
5. How does Sharmen react to Phil's campaign contribution offer?
Essay Topic 1
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Although Martin never appears in the play he is very much a part of the story. What is Martin's impact on the story? Why is his absence so conspicuous? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Martin's character in the play?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)