|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the men falls down the steps?
2. When did the affair between Phil and Marion begin?
3. James substitutes the phrase "take care of each other" instead of ______________.
4. Why does Phil say he can't afford to support George?
5. How does the author show that George is emotionally distant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Coach. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)