|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Coach believe will happen if George's opponent wins the election?
2. Which of the following does not characterize Phil?
3. Where do the men get Tom settled after he falls down the stairs?
4. When did the affair between Phil and Marion begin?
5. Which one of the men goes outside to speak to the coach privately?
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the championship trophy. What does the trophy symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Coach?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Coach. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)