|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease does the coach warn the men about because of their age?
2. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
3. What type of business does Phil have that George's political opponent has tried to ruin?
4. Why does James say that Phil does not support George's re-election?
5. With what weapon does George threaten to kill Phil?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tom able to verbalize to the Coach that the others cannot?
2. How does the author show that Coach is a racist?
3. What theory does James have for why George's wife may have started an affair with Phil?
4. How many of the men have known the truth about the final game for all these years?
5. How does James' interest in running for mayor come up in conversation?
6. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
7. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
8. What is the role of the men's friend, Phil, in George's political career?
9. How does Coach respond when Tom suggests the possibility that the championship was a myth?
10. Why does James feel a political career would be a positive thing for him at this point in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Miller's use of humor in the play, especially with Tom's character. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)