|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The coach tells the men that they must ________________ in times of danger and dissension.
2. Who will be mad if he arrives and finds Tom drunk?
3. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
4. George is proud of the recent opening of _________________.
5. What brand of beer do the men drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which one of the men shows some sensitivity about Sharmen's religious beliefs?
2. What do the troubled lives of the men serve as a metaphor for?
3. What role did Coach play in George's decision to institutionalize his special needs child?
4. What theory does James have for why George's wife may have started an affair with Phil?
5. What metaphor does Coach use for the men of the winning championship team?
6. How does James' interest in running for mayor come up in conversation?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding George and a gun?
8. How many of the men have known the truth about the final game for all these years?
9. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
10. What is Phil's opinion of George's chances of winning the election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the championship trophy. What does the trophy symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Coach?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Phil. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)