|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
2. George is proud of the recent opening of _________________.
3. George asks Tom if Tom has a ______________ problem.
4. In what year does the story take place?
5. Which one of the men is having an affair with George's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What city does the play take place in and how does its decline mirror the lives of the men of the championship team?
2. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
3. What is the reason for Coach's sudden pain while the men are singing?
4. What metaphor does Coach use for the men of the winning championship team?
5. What is the premise of THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON?
6. How have the men betrayed themselves by betraying each other?
7. Who are the first two characters to be introduced in the play?
8. How do the men reconcile by the end of the play?
9. How does Coach try to encourage the men to stay together in spite of personal issues and problems?
10. How does Phil learn Sharmen's real feelings about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON is a classic loyalty and betrayal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Miller's use of humor in the play, especially with Tom's character. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)