|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does James say he hasn't been sleeping well lately?
2. Phil's name is the caption underneath a picture of what animal in the school newspaper?
3. Who does Tom intend to appoint as Superintendent of Schools?
4. What is Tom Daley doing in the living room?
5. In what year does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is George's position on accepting help from Phil after learning about the affair and what advice does Coach give George on the subject?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding George and a gun?
3. How many of the men have known the truth about the final game for all these years?
4. What resentments does James carry about his life?
5. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
6. How does the play end?
7. Which one of the men shows some sensitivity about Sharmen's religious beliefs?
8. What does George do when he learns about Phil's affair with his wife?
9. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
10. How does Coach respond inappropriately when Tom falls down the steps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Coach. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Miller is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON is a classic loyalty and betrayal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)