|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens to kill Phil?
2. What disease does the coach warn the men about because of their age?
3. How much money has Phil offered for George's re-election campaign?
4. What is Tom Daley doing in the living room?
5. What is the prominent religion in the city of Scranton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
2. What is the role of the men's friend, Phil, in George's political career?
3. Who is Martin and how is he remembered by the men?
4. How does the author show that Coach is a racist?
5. How does Phil learn Sharmen's real feelings about him?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding George and a gun?
7. What is George's profession and how does it compare to the high school basketball championship?
8. What is Tom able to verbalize to the Coach that the others cannot?
9. How have the men betrayed themselves by betraying each other?
10. What does George share with Tom regarding the upcoming re-election campaign?
Essay Topic 1
THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON is a classic loyalty and betrayal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Although Martin never appears in the play he is very much a part of the story. What is Martin's impact on the story? Why is his absence so conspicuous? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Martin's character in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Miller's use of humor in the play, especially with Tom's character. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)