|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men do to lighten the mood in the room?
2. George asks Tom if Tom has a ______________ problem.
3. George is about to launch a re-election campaign against someone of what religious affiliation?
4. What is the prominent religion in the city of Scranton?
5. Phil's name is the caption underneath a picture of what animal in the school newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theory does James have for why George's wife may have started an affair with Phil?
2. How does Phil's affair with George's wife become known?
3. Which one of the men shows some sensitivity about Sharmen's religious beliefs?
4. How does Coach respond when Tom suggests the possibility that the championship was a myth?
5. Which character seems to be the only one with a voice of reason in the play?
6. How does Phil learn Sharmen's real feelings about him?
7. How is George's emotional unavailability become evident as Act 2 progresses?
8. What does Coach reveal about his past that sheds light on his anti-Semitic views?
9. How does Coach try to bolster George's self-esteem regarding the upcoming election?
10. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Coach and the four men in the play. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
The search for The American Dream is an important theme in THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)