Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens to kill Phil?
2. What reason does the coach give for an unexpected pain?
3. What does the coach suggest that James needed more of in his diet?
4. Tom has missed how many of the team reunions?
5. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
2. How does the author show that Coach is bitter about what has happened in his life since the championship season?
3. How does the play end?
4. What is the symbolism of George's vomiting in the championship trophy?
5. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
6. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
7. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
8. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
9. How does Coach respond when Tom challenges him on the championship being a myth?
10. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
Essay Topic 1
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 2
Although Martin never appears in the play he is very much a part of the story. What is Martin's impact on the story? Why is his absence so conspicuous? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Martin's character in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Miller is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)