|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of surgery has the coach recently had?
2. To what does the coach compare this team of men?
3. In what year does the story take place?
4. George is about to launch a re-election campaign against someone of what religious affiliation?
5. Which corporation has promised George's opponent that it will bring new jobs to the town?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding George and a gun?
2. How does Phil learn Sharmen's real feelings about him?
3. How does Act 2 begin?
4. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
5. What does Phil state as his main reason for his unwillingness to back George in the election?
6. Why does Phil think that people just want him for his money after he witnesses the scene between James and George about politics?
7. How does the author show that Coach is bitter about what has happened in his life since the championship season?
8. How does Coach respond when Tom challenges him on the championship being a myth?
9. How does Phil's affair with George's wife become known?
10. What city does the play take place in and how does its decline mirror the lives of the men of the championship team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Miller's use of humor in the play, especially with Tom's character. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of George. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Miller uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)