Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What anniversary of a state basketball championship are the men gathered to commemorate?
2. Which of the following is not seen in the room?
3. In what state is the high school where the men win the championship?
4. What do the four men joke about together?
5. Phil's name is the caption underneath a picture of what animal in the school newspaper?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
2. Why does James feel a political career would be a positive thing for him at this point in his life?
3. How does Act 2 begin?
4. How is George's emotional unavailability become evident as Act 2 progresses?
5. How does the play end?
6. What theory does James have for why George's wife may have started an affair with Phil?
7. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
8. What is George's position on accepting help from Phil after learning about the affair and what advice does Coach give George on the subject?
9. What is the premise of THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON?
10. How does Coach respond inappropriately when Tom falls down the steps?
Create a brief character study of George. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Regret seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of regret? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Miller is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)