|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the coach think would be a great asset as a speech writer for George's campaign?
2. What is the prominent religion in the city of Scranton?
3. What type of surgery has the coach recently had?
4. What disease does the coach warn the men about because of their age?
5. Which one of the men offers to run for mayor with Phil's support?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many of the men have known the truth about the final game for all these years?
2. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
3. How do the men reconcile by the end of the play?
4. What is the irony of Coach's persona of always playing by the rules?
5. What is George's profession and how does it compare to the high school basketball championship?
6. How does Coach respond when Tom suggests the possibility that the championship was a myth?
7. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
8. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
9. What is Phil's opinion of George's chances of winning the election?
10. What do the troubled lives of the men serve as a metaphor for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Phil. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of George. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Coach and the four men in the play. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)