|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does Phil have that George's political opponent has tried to ruin?
2. Which one of the men is having an affair with George's wife?
3. What do the men do to lighten the mood in the room?
4. In what sport do the men win a high school championship?
5. George has learned some unfavorable information about which one of his opponent's relatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many of the men have known the truth about the final game for all these years?
2. How does Coach try to encourage the men to stay together in spite of personal issues and problems?
3. Why is it ironic that Tom serves as the voice of reason in the play?
4. What role did Coach play in George's decision to institutionalize his special needs child?
5. What do the troubled lives of the men serve as a metaphor for?
6. Why does Phil think that people just want him for his money after he witnesses the scene between James and George about politics?
7. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
8. What is Tom able to verbalize to the Coach that the others cannot?
9. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
10. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Coach. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)