|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. George has learned some unfavorable information about which one of his opponent's relatives?
2. How is the room furnished?
3. Which of the men has doubts that George will win the election?
4. Which of the following political figures is not shown in a photo in the room?
5. What do the men do to lighten the mood in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coach respond when hearing about the affair between Phil and George's wife?
2. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
3. What is the role of the men's friend, Phil, in George's political career?
4. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
5. How does Phil learn Sharmen's real feelings about him?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding George and a gun?
7. What does George share with Tom regarding the upcoming re-election campaign?
8. How does the play end?
9. Who are the first two characters to be introduced in the play?
10. Describe the setting for Act 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Martin never appears in the play he is very much a part of the story. What is Martin's impact on the story? Why is his absence so conspicuous? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Martin's character in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)