|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following political figures is not shown in a photo in the room?
2. What sport does Phil coach?
3. What is the setting for Act 1?
4. Who suggests that Phil let his own son get more playing time?
5. What anniversary of a state basketball championship are the men gathered to commemorate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How have the men's lives paralleled the fate of Scranton?
2. Who is Martin and how is he remembered by the men?
3. What theory does James have for why George's wife may have started an affair with Phil?
4. What is George's profession and how does it compare to the high school basketball championship?
5. How does Coach respond when Tom challenges him on the championship being a myth?
6. What does George do when he learns about Phil's affair with his wife?
7. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
8. How does Coach respond when Tom suggests the possibility that the championship was a myth?
9. What is George's position on accepting help from Phil after learning about the affair and what advice does Coach give George on the subject?
10. How does the author show that money does not necessarily buy happiness as exhibited by Phil's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Phil. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Coach and the four men in the play. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)