|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens to kill Phil?
2. What reason does the coach give for an unexpected pain?
3. What does the coach suggest that James needed more of in his diet?
4. Tom has missed how many of the team reunions?
5. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
2. How does the author show that Coach is bitter about what has happened in his life since the championship season?
3. How does the play end?
4. What is the symbolism of George's vomiting in the championship trophy?
5. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
6. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
7. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
8. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
9. How does Coach respond when Tom challenges him on the championship being a myth?
10. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
Essay Topic 1
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the championship trophy. What does the trophy symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Coach?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Although Martin never appears in the play he is very much a part of the story. What is Martin's impact on the story? Why is his absence so conspicuous? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Martin's character in the play?
This section contains 1,520 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)