|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. George is proud of the recent opening of _________________.
2. Who suggests that Phil let his own son get more playing time?
3. What job does George have in the town?
4. What disease does the coach warn the men about because of their age?
5. Which of the following is something that is not a passionate topic in Scranton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the strength of the bond between the men as the play ends?
2. What does Phil state as his main reason for his unwillingness to back George in the election?
3. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
4. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding George and a gun?
5. What is Phil's opinion of George's chances of winning the election?
6. Which one of the men shows some sensitivity about Sharmen's religious beliefs?
7. How does Coach try to bolster George's self-esteem regarding the upcoming election?
8. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
9. How does the play end?
10. What does Coach reveal about his past that sheds light on his anti-Semitic views?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Coach. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Miller is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphors, and irony, briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)