|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of surgery has the coach recently had?
2. In what year do the men win the high school championship?
3. What type of business does Phil have that George's political opponent has tried to ruin?
4. What is the prominent religion in the city of Scranton?
5. In what sport do the men win a high school championship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Coach play in George's decision to institutionalize his special needs child?
2. What does George share with Tom regarding the upcoming re-election campaign?
3. How many of the men have known the truth about the final game for all these years?
4. What does Phil state as his main reason for his unwillingness to back George in the election?
5. What is the symbolism of George's vomiting in the championship trophy?
6. What metaphor does Coach use for the men of the winning championship team?
7. How have the men's lives paralleled the fate of Scranton?
8. What do the troubled lives of the men serve as a metaphor for?
9. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
10. What is George's position on accepting help from Phil after learning about the affair and what advice does Coach give George on the subject?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Coach and the four men in the play. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the championship trophy. What does the trophy symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Coach?
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)