Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens to kill Phil?
2. What reason does the coach give for an unexpected pain?
3. What does the coach suggest that James needed more of in his diet?
4. Tom has missed how many of the team reunions?
5. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
2. How does the author show that Coach is bitter about what has happened in his life since the championship season?
3. How does the play end?
4. What is the symbolism of George's vomiting in the championship trophy?
5. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
6. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
7. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
8. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
9. How does Coach respond when Tom challenges him on the championship being a myth?
10. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
Explain Miller's use of humor in the play, especially with Tom's character. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Coach and the four men in the play. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)