|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the coach give for an unexpected pain?
2. What anniversary of a state basketball championship are the men gathered to commemorate?
3. With what weapon does George threaten to kill Phil?
4. How much money has Phil offered for George's re-election campaign?
5. Which of the following political figures is not shown in a photo in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George do when he learns about Phil's affair with his wife?
2. How does the author use Tom's character as a humorous release from the tense situation in the room?
3. How have the men betrayed themselves by betraying each other?
4. What theory does James have for why George's wife may have started an affair with Phil?
5. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
6. Why is it ironic that Tom serves as the voice of reason in the play?
7. How is George's emotional unavailability become evident as Act 2 progresses?
8. Which one of the men shows some sensitivity about Sharmen's religious beliefs?
9. What does Phil state as his main reason for his unwillingness to back George in the election?
10. What city does the play take place in and how does its decline mirror the lives of the men of the championship team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Miller uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Miller's use of humor in the play, especially with Tom's character. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)