|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person had been on the team but no one has heard from for 20 years?
2. How is the room furnished?
3. In what year do the men win the high school championship?
4. Who is George's wife?
5. What disease does the coach warn the men about because of their age?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does George learn that Phil is having an affair with his wife?
2. What is the irony of Coach's persona of always playing by the rules?
3. How does Phil learn Sharmen's real feelings about him?
4. What resentments does James carry about his life?
5. How have the men betrayed themselves by betraying each other?
6. How does Coach respond when Tom challenges him on the championship being a myth?
7. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
8. How does the author show that money does not necessarily buy happiness as exhibited by Phil's life?
9. How do the men reconcile by the end of the play?
10. What does Phil state as his main reason for his unwillingness to back George in the election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of George. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Miller's use of humor in the play, especially with Tom's character. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
The search for The American Dream is an important theme in THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)