|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Phil's name is the caption underneath a picture of what animal in the school newspaper?
2. What job does George have in the town?
3. Which one of the men offers to run for mayor with Phil's support?
4. What does the coach say will help ease his pain?
5. Who will be mad if he arrives and finds Tom drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the strength of the bond between the men as the play ends?
2. How does the author use Tom's character as a humorous release from the tense situation in the room?
3. What is Tom able to verbalize to the Coach that the others cannot?
4. How does the author show that money does not necessarily buy happiness as exhibited by Phil's life?
5. How does the author show that Coach is a racist?
6. What do the troubled lives of the men serve as a metaphor for?
7. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
8. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
9. What does Phil state as his main reason for his unwillingness to back George in the election?
10. Who is Martin and how is he remembered by the men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Coach and the four men in the play. Be sure to include emotional states as well as physical characteristics, geographic locations, work, hobbies, socialization, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Miller's use of humor in the play, especially with Tom's character. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)