|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does James say that Phil does not support George's re-election?
2. Which one of the men is having an affair with George's wife?
3. With what weapon does George threaten to kill Phil?
4. What is George Sikowski doing in the kitchen?
5. Tom tells George that he saw a woman that they __________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the troubled lives of the men serve as a metaphor for?
2. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
3. What does Phil state as his main reason for his unwillingness to back George in the election?
4. How does Coach respond inappropriately when Tom falls down the steps?
5. What does George do when he learns about Phil's affair with his wife?
6. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
7. How does Phil learn Sharmen's real feelings about him?
8. How does Coach try to bolster George's self-esteem regarding the upcoming election?
9. What is the strength of the bond between the men as the play ends?
10. What is the role of the men's friend, Phil, in George's political career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of flashbacks in the story. Explain what a flashback is and cite at least two making sure to explain what makes each a flashback.
Essay Topic 2
THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON is a classic loyalty and betrayal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Miller uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)