|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
2. Who will be mad if he arrives and finds Tom drunk?
3. How much money has Phil offered for George's re-election campaign?
4. What is George Sikowski doing in the kitchen?
5. The coach tells the men that they must ________________ in times of danger and dissension.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the play end?
2. What is George's profession and how does it compare to the high school basketball championship?
3. What resentments does James carry about his life?
4. What is the reason for Coach's sudden pain while the men are singing?
5. How does the author show that Coach is a racist?
6. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
7. What is the premise of THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON?
8. How does George learn that Phil is having an affair with his wife?
9. How does Coach respond when Tom suggests the possibility that the championship was a myth?
10. Who is Martin and how is he remembered by the men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Inge use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Coach. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
There is much symbolism in this story regarding the championship trophy. What does the trophy symbolize for the men? What does it mean for Coach?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)