|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
2. Which person had been on the team but no one has heard from for 20 years?
3. In what state is the high school where the men win the championship?
4. Why does James say he hasn't been sleeping well lately?
5. What sport does Phil coach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
2. Why does Phil think that people just want him for his money after he witnesses the scene between James and George about politics?
3. How does it begin to become clear that Coach is not the stalwart figure he thinks he is?
4. How does the play end?
5. How does Coach try to bolster George's self-esteem regarding the upcoming election?
6. How does James' interest in running for mayor come up in conversation?
7. Why does James feel a political career would be a positive thing for him at this point in his life?
8. What is the irony of Coach's persona of always playing by the rules?
9. Which one of the men shows some sensitivity about Sharmen's religious beliefs?
10. What city does the play take place in and how does its decline mirror the lives of the men of the championship team?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inge uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the play and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of George. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)