|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George Sikowski doing in the kitchen?
2. What is the heritage of most of the people in Scranton?
3. Why does James say he hasn't been sleeping well lately?
4. What sport does Phil coach?
5. Who threatens to kill Phil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Martin and how is he remembered by the men?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding George and a gun?
3. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
4. What is the reason for Coach's sudden pain while the men are singing?
5. What is the role of the men's friend, Phil, in George's political career?
6. How does the author show that money does not necessarily buy happiness as exhibited by Phil's life?
7. How does George learn that Phil is having an affair with his wife?
8. How does Coach respond when Tom suggests the possibility that the championship was a myth?
9. How does Coach respond when hearing about the affair between Phil and George's wife?
10. Describe the setting for Act 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON is a classic loyalty and betrayal story. What does that classification entail? Why does this play fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the play's title. What did the author mean by calling the play THAT CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)