|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which person had been on the team but no one has heard from for 20 years?
2. Phil's name is the caption underneath a picture of what animal in the school newspaper?
3. What sport does Phil coach?
4. How is the room furnished?
5. Which one of the men is having an affair with George's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it begin to become clear that Coach is not the stalwart figure he thinks he is?
2. Why does James feel a political career would be a positive thing for him at this point in his life?
3. How does Coach respond when Tom challenges him on the championship being a myth?
4. What is George's profession and how does it compare to the high school basketball championship?
5. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
6. What does George share with Tom regarding the upcoming re-election campaign?
7. What is Phil's opinion of George's chances of winning the election?
8. How is George's emotional unavailability become evident as Act 2 progresses?
9. How does Coach try to encourage the men to stay together in spite of personal issues and problems?
10. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the play. Why does Inge use the setting he does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Phil. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,571 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)