Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who threatens to kill Phil?
2. What reason does the coach give for an unexpected pain?
3. What does the coach suggest that James needed more of in his diet?
4. Tom has missed how many of the team reunions?
5. What does the coach recall about the last game the men played together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
2. How does the author show that Coach is bitter about what has happened in his life since the championship season?
3. How does the play end?
4. What is the symbolism of George's vomiting in the championship trophy?
5. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
6. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
7. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
8. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
9. How does Coach respond when Tom challenges him on the championship being a myth?
10. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of men in the 1970s when the men in the play are living their adult lives. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they enjoy that 21st century men do not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of George and Phil. What are their roles within the story? Why is there such animosity between the two? Does their level of success create more competition between them than with any of the other men? Why would Marion be attracted to both of these men and for what reasons?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Phil. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)