|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the coach think would be a great asset as a speech writer for George's campaign?
2. What does the coach suggest that James needed more of in his diet?
3. Who will be mad if he arrives and finds Tom drunk?
4. In what year do the men win the high school championship?
5. George is about to launch a re-election campaign against someone of what religious affiliation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
2. How does George learn that Phil is having an affair with his wife?
3. How have the men's lives paralleled the fate of Scranton?
4. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
5. Why does Phil think that people just want him for his money after he witnesses the scene between James and George about politics?
6. Why is it ironic that Tom serves as the voice of reason in the play?
7. What information has George recently learned that he thinks will harm his opponent's campaign?
8. What does George do when he learns about Phil's affair with his wife?
9. How does it begin to become clear that Coach is not the stalwart figure he thinks he is?
10. How do the men reconcile by the end of the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Antagonism takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Although Martin never appears in the play he is very much a part of the story. What is Martin's impact on the story? Why is his absence so conspicuous? What was the author trying to accomplish by creating Martin's character in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of George. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him--if anything--at this point in his life?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)