|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does James say that Phil does not support George's re-election?
(a) He is moving out of town.
(b) Phil is having an affair with George's wife.
(c) He does not support his beliefs anymore.
(d) He does not have the money this year.
2. What reason does the coach give for an unexpected pain?
(a) He is having a heart attack.
(b) He has a migraine.
(c) His surgical incision is still healing.
(d) He is having digestive problems.
3. Which corporation has promised George's opponent that it will bring new jobs to the town?
4. What is the setting for Act 1?
(a) A gym.
(b) A back porch.
(c) A den.
(d) A living room.
5. What do the four men joke about together?
(a) Phil's collection of pornographic films.
(b) Tom's bad haircut.
(c) The coach's argyle socks.
(d) James' old car.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does the coach compare this team of men?
2. Which person had been on the team but no one has heard from for 20 years?
3. Which of the men has doubts that George will win the election?
4. In what year do the men win the high school championship?
5. How many losing seasons did the team of men have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does James feel a political career would be a positive thing for him at this point in his life?
2. What is George's profession and how does it compare to the high school basketball championship?
3. Why is it ironic that Tom serves as the voice of reason in the play?
4. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
5. How does the author show that Coach has lost patience with George?
6. How does George learn that Phil is having an affair with his wife?
7. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
8. How does Coach respond when Tom suggests the possibility that the championship was a myth?
9. What is George's position on accepting help from Phil after learning about the affair and what advice does Coach give George on the subject?
10. What are the men able to remember as the Coach recalls the final ten seconds of the championship game?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)