|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Phil Romano and James Daley bring to the gathering?
(a) Chinese take out.
(b) Pizza and beer.
(c) Fried chicken and beer.
(d) Barbecue and beer.
2. In what year does the story take place?
3. Which person had been on the team but no one has heard from for 20 years?
4. Why does James say that Phil does not support George's re-election?
(a) He is moving out of town.
(b) Phil is having an affair with George's wife.
(c) He does not support his beliefs anymore.
(d) He does not have the money this year.
5. What does the coach suggest that James needed more of in his diet?
(a) Vitamin A.
(c) Vitamin C.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 1?
2. What type of business does Phil have that George's political opponent has tried to ruin?
3. George has learned some unfavorable information about which one of his opponent's relatives?
4. Phil's name is the caption underneath a picture of what animal in the school newspaper?
5. Which one of the men offers to run for mayor with Phil's support?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Coach rally the men when he senses that their bickering and differences could escalate out of control?
2. Who is Martin and how is he remembered by the men?
3. What does Coach reveal about his past that sheds light on his anti-Semitic views?
4. What is the irony of Coach's persona of always playing by the rules?
5. What is the symbolism of George's vomiting in the championship trophy?
6. How have the men betrayed themselves by betraying each other?
7. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
8. What metaphor does Coach use for the men of the winning championship team?
9. What is George's profession and how does it compare to the high school basketball championship?
10. What does George share with Tom regarding the upcoming re-election campaign?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)