|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not seen in the room?
2. To what does the coach compare this team of men?
(a) A well-oiled machine.
(b) A fine watch.
(c) A new car.
(d) A group of panthers.
3. Why does James say that Phil does not support George's re-election?
(a) He is moving out of town.
(b) He does not have the money this year.
(c) Phil is having an affair with George's wife.
(d) He does not support his beliefs anymore.
4. George has learned some unfavorable information about which one of his opponent's relatives?
(a) His brother.
(b) His son.
(c) His wife.
(d) His uncle.
5. How is the room furnished?
(a) Cottage chic.
(b) Nothing in it.
(c) Minimalist styling.
(d) Old dusty furnishings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men do to lighten the mood in the room?
2. What reason does the coach give for an unexpected pain?
3. What is the setting for Act 1?
4. Who does Tom intend to appoint as Superintendent of Schools?
5. What do the four men joke about together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Coach and Phil seem to be especially tied to the past?
2. What is the nature of Coach's illness as discussed by George and Tom?
3. How does Phil's affair with George's wife become known?
4. What is the symbolism of George's vomiting in the championship trophy?
5. Describe the setting for Act 1.
6. Which character seems to be the only one with a voice of reason in the play?
7. What resentments does James carry about his life?
8. How do the men show that their relationships with others are based primarily in obligation, not love?
9. How do the men react to Coach in spite of his candor about their failures?
10. How does Coach try to encourage the men to stay together in spite of personal issues and problems?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)