|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Phil say he can't afford to support George?
(a) He has a huge tax bill coming due.
(b) George's opponent will ruin Phil financially if he wins.
(c) His contract with the state has not been renewed.
(d) He lost a big client.
2. Why does George want to change campaign managers?
(a) He is taking Coach's advice.
(b) He needs fresh thinking.
(c) He wants a professional.
(d) He doesn't trust James anymore.
3. Why was George's son institutionalized?
(a) He is developmentally disabled.
(b) He has Down Syndrome.
(c) He is severely retarded.
(d) He is a paraplegic.
4. What does Coach believe will happen if George's opponent wins the election?
(a) Unemployment will drop.
(b) People will move away.
(c) The city will be doomed.
(d) Businesses will move into town.
5. What has Tom spilled on his pants?
6. To what does Coach attribute his recovery after surgery?
(a) Great drugs.
(b) Good genes.
(c) Good home health care.
(d) The support of these men.
7. George listened to Coach and not _____________ when making the decision about his son.
(a) His priest.
(b) His heart.
(c) His wife.
(d) His brother.
8. How does the author show that George is emotionally distant?
(a) He remains with his friends instead of going home to confront his wife.
(b) He did not cry about losing his son.
(c) He cannot tell his wife that he loves her.
(d) He refuses to talk about anything other than sports.
9. What suggestion does James give that Marion may have had the affair with Phil?
(a) To secure the campaign funds for George.
(b) She is lonely.
(c) She is trying to make George jealous.
(d) George doesn't love her anymore.
10. What does James tell George he has lost count of?
(a) His sleepless nights.
(b) His bad business ideas.
(c) The cities he has traveled to.
(d) His wife's parking tickets.
11. Which one of the men goes outside to speak to the coach privately?
12. What memories does Phil continually replay in his head?
(a) Graduation day.
(b) The senior prom.
(c) His first car.
(d) Basketball triumphs.
13. James substitutes the phrase "take care of each other" instead of ______________.
14. In what industry does George work?
15. What does George tell Coach is George's problem.
(a) His son is ill.
(b) His wife is ill.
(c) He has money problems.
(d) It is private.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the men say their wife would never have an affair?
2. When did the affair between Phil and Marion begin?
3. Coach says he wants to _______________________.
4. Which one of the men understands feeling rage and hatred?
5. George finally tells Coach that the real reason he is in distress is ________________________.
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)