|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Harry puts on the sorting hat and begs for help?
2. When Harry sees some spiders walking in a straight line where does he realize they are heading?
3. What does Hermione give Ron and Harry that is intended to keep Crabbe and Goyle away while they use the transformation potions?
4. How does Harry destroy Tom Riddle's diary?
5. What teacher does Hermione get to sign the paper giving her permission to go to the restricted section of the library?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Hermione, Ron and Harry get Lockhart to sign a permission form for them to retrieve a book from the restricted section of the library.
2. What does Harry hear while lying in the hospital wing when Dumbledore brings in a petrified Collin Creevey?
3. How does Harry distract Snape while Hermione retrieves the needed ingredients?
4. What happens when Harry tells Tom Riddle that Dumbledore is the greatest wizard that ever lived and that people will always be faithful to Dumbledore.
5. What do Harry and Ron find in Hermione's hand when they go to visit her in the hospital wing in chapter Sixteen?
6. What happens when Harry gives Lucius Malfoy the diary that belonged to Tom Riddle?
7. What are the students saying about Harry after they find he can speak to snakes like Salazar Slytherin?
8. What are the pros and cons of the Polyjuice Potion that Hermione, Ron and Harry intend to brew?
9. What does Aragog tell Harry and Ron about the creature from the Chamber of Secrets?
10. When Harry gets to the Chamber of Secrets in Chapter Seventeen what does Tom Riddle tell him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dumbledore says in the story that it is not a question of who opened the chamber but how. Later when Harry saves Ginny, Dumbledore doesn't seem surprised by the fact that it was Tom Riddle. Dumbledore also was said to have kept a close eye on Tom Riddle while he was in school. Given the information, did Dumbledore know that it was Tom Riddle that was responsible? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The Dursleys treat Harry very foul and give him nothing more than a toothpick for Christmas. Explain why they don't let Harry stay with the Weasleys and why they would rather have him locked in his room than to be at Ron's house.
How would the story have been different if Harry had been appreciated a little more at home?
Essay Topic 3
The Weasley children are all very different. Explain the importance of the differences between Percey, Ginny, Ron, and the twins George and Fred. Did each of these characters play an important role on Harry in the book? Explain.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)