|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Harry given to eat before the Masons arrive?
2. What does Harry do with Dobby when Uncle Vernon comes into the room to tell Harry to be quiet?
3. What do Ron, Hermione, and Harry find when they go back to the Hall where Mrs. Norris had been petrified?
4. What does Uncle Vernon say the Masons know about Harry?
5. What does Ron's brother Charlie do?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what Dobby tells Harry in Chapter Two there is danger waiting at Hogwarts although he does not explain to Harry what that danger is. Do you think that Dobby could have told Harry anything that would have kept him from leaving the Durlseys and returning to Hogwarts? Explain.
2. Explain Harry's reaction when he hears the voice in Chapter Seven while serving detention.
3. Who do Harry, Ron, and Hermione seem to think would be a possibility for the Heir Slytherin in Chapter Nine and why?
4. Describe Mr. Filch from the description given when he takes Harry into his office in Chapter Eight. Why does he let Harry go without punishment?
5. Describe Dobby the House Elf's character when he arrives in Chapter Two.
6. In Chapter Five what does Gilderoy Lockhart say is the cause for Harry flying the car to school?
7. Describe the type of student that Hermione is from the description given in Chapter Six.
8. Explain the relationship between Collin Creevey and Harry Potter as seen in Chapter Seven.
9. What is confusing to Harry when he hears the voice in the hall before they find the petrified cat?
10. In Chapter Two Harry has a dream that he is in locked in a cage. Explain how the dream explains his situation and his feelings.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Defence Against the Dark Arts position is said to be jinxed.
How would the story had differed if Snape had had the Dark Arts position?
What would have happened in potions class if Lockhart had been the teacher?
Given Snape's attitude and disposition do you think he would have made a good Dark Arts teacher? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Dumbledore says in the story that it is not a question of who opened the chamber but how. Later when Harry saves Ginny, Dumbledore doesn't seem surprised by the fact that it was Tom Riddle. Dumbledore also was said to have kept a close eye on Tom Riddle while he was in school. Given the information, did Dumbledore know that it was Tom Riddle that was responsible? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Dobby's frame of mind that tore him between loyalty to his family and a desire to help Harry Potter. Which do you feel was stronger? Explain.
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)