|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was turned into a spider that causes Ron to have a fear of them?
2. What do the boys say about a family that would be able to own a House Elf?
3. What does Hagrid say he is looking for in Knockturn Alley?
4. Who does Harry see in the shop where he is accidentally transported?
5. Who does Professor Binns say built the secret chamber in the school according to legend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens in Gilderoy Lockhart's first class in Chapter Six. What does this reveal about his character?
2. Explain the relationship between Collin Creevey and Harry Potter as seen in Chapter Seven.
3. Why does Harry not tell the professors about the voice he hears?
4. McGonagall finds Harry and Ron and tells them what their detention punishment will be. Harry will help Lockhart sign his fan mail and Ron will polish trophies without using magic. Are these detentions appropriate for them? Why or why not?
5. Explain why Vernon Dursley is so excited to receive the letter from the Improper Use of Magic Office after Dobby breaks Petunia's pudding dessert in Chapter Two.
6. Describe Dobby the House Elf's character when he arrives in Chapter Two.
7. Explain how Harry feels about the fortune that his parents left him that is held in Gringotts in London.
8. Explain Harry's reaction when he hears the voice in Chapter Seven while serving detention.
9. Describe Gilderoy Lockhart.
10. Describe Ginny Weasley.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hagrid was expelled from the school but not imprisoned.
Part 1-Explain why Hagrid refused to tell anyone about Aragog.
Part 2-Why does Hagrid continually find large pets to take care of?
Part 3-What would have changed if Hagrid had explained about Aragog fifty years ago?
Essay Topic 2
Quidditch seems to be an important part of Hogwarts life. Explain the role that it plays as a symbol in the book and why it is important to Harry and to what his character is.
Essay Topic 3
The Defence Against the Dark Arts position is said to be jinxed.
How would the story had differed if Snape had had the Dark Arts position?
What would have happened in potions class if Lockhart had been the teacher?
Given Snape's attitude and disposition do you think he would have made a good Dark Arts teacher? Explain.
This section contains 1,221 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)