|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Harry and Ron supposed to be turning their beetles into in Transfiguration class?
2. What happens to Ron's wand in the crash?
3. What does Ron say, to tease Harry, that Ginny Weasley and Colin Creevey might start?
4. Why does Gilderoy Lockhart think that Harry flew the car to Hogwarts?
5. Whose books do they get for school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Harry's reaction when he hears the voice in Chapter Seven while serving detention.
2. Why does Harry not tell the professors about the voice he hears?
3. Draco Malfoy calls Hermione a Mudblood in Chapter Seven. Given the reaction to what is said, explain the significance of the term and what its description would be.
4. Describe Ginny Weasley.
5. Describe Harry's feelings for Hogwarts, his school, as compared to the Dursley house where he lives with his aunt and uncle from what is detailed in Chapter One.
6. What is Filch's reaction when he finds Mrs. Norris, his cat, petrified?
7. What is the reaction that Harry and Ron receive from the other students in the Gryffindor House when they enter it after leaving Professor McGonagall's office in Chapter Five?
8. Describe Serverous Snape and the description that Ron and Harry give him in Chapter Five.
9. Give one word that explains Vernon Dursley's reaction when Harry says "magic" in Chapter One. Explain why you have given this word.
10. Who do Harry, Ron, and Hermione seem to think would be a possibility for the Heir Slytherin in Chapter Nine and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry had more than one opportunity to explain to Dumbledore about the voice that he was hearing that no one else seemed to hear. Was Harry right in keeping this to himself? Could he have told Dumbledore? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Moaning Myrtle is obsessed with death. She seems to enjoy sitting and thinking about it.
Part 1- Do you believe that she is happy being a ghost? Explain.
Part 2- Had Moaning Myrtle not chosen to stay in the bathroom where she was killed, would Harry and Ron have had any clue about where the entrance to the chamber was?
Part 3- Myrtle says that she still has feelings. Do you think that she has feelings or that she is simply sad all the time? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The phoenix appears after Harry proclaims his devotion to Dumbledore in the Chamber of Secrets. What does the phoenix symbolize in the story? Explain.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)