|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry see in the bushes that catches his attention?
2. While the car is beginning to fall to earth, Ron lets go of the wheel to get ____________ out of his back pocket.
3. What does Uncle Vernon's company make?
4. What does Ron get during breakfast from his mother?
5. What does Draco Malfoy call Hermione?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Vernon Dursley is so excited to receive the letter from the Improper Use of Magic Office after Dobby breaks Petunia's pudding dessert in Chapter Two.
2. In Chapter Five what does Gilderoy Lockhart say is the cause for Harry flying the car to school?
3. In Chapter One there is something worrying Harry regarding Hogwarts. What is it?
4. Draco Malfoy calls Hermione a Mudblood in Chapter Seven. Given the reaction to what is said, explain the significance of the term and what its description would be.
5. What does Harry see while he is hiding in the Borgin and Burkes Shop on Knockturn Alley.
6. From what Dobby tells Harry in Chapter Two there is danger waiting at Hogwarts although he does not explain to Harry what that danger is. Do you think that Dobby could have told Harry anything that would have kept him from leaving the Durlseys and returning to Hogwarts? Explain.
7. Who do Harry, Ron, and Hermione seem to think would be a possibility for the Heir Slytherin in Chapter Nine and why?
8. Describe Ginny Weasley.
9. Why does Harry not tell the professors about the voice he hears?
10. What are some of the effects of the Howler letter that Ron's mother sends him in Chapter Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moaning Myrtle is obsessed with death. She seems to enjoy sitting and thinking about it.
Part 1- Do you believe that she is happy being a ghost? Explain.
Part 2- Had Moaning Myrtle not chosen to stay in the bathroom where she was killed, would Harry and Ron have had any clue about where the entrance to the chamber was?
Part 3- Myrtle says that she still has feelings. Do you think that she has feelings or that she is simply sad all the time? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Hermione being called a Mudblood before the attacks began. Would it have had the same impact if it had been explained later in the book? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Dobby's frame of mind that tore him between loyalty to his family and a desire to help Harry Potter. Which do you feel was stronger? Explain.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)