|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who freezes the pixies with a charm?
2. What do Ron, Hermione, and Harry find when they go back to the Hall where Mrs. Norris had been petrified?
3. Where is Harry told to be when the Masons arrive?
4. Who tags along with Harry to Quidditch practice even though Harry tries to get him/her not to do it?
5. What lives in their attic according to Ron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction from those that find the petrified cat and the message on the wall stating that the heir of Slytherin has returned?
2. Why does Harry not tell the professors about the voice he hears?
3. Describe Serverous Snape and the description that Ron and Harry give him in Chapter Five.
4. Explain how Harry feels about the fortune that his parents left him that is held in Gringotts in London.
5. What is the reaction that Harry and Ron receive from the other students in the Gryffindor House when they enter it after leaving Professor McGonagall's office in Chapter Five?
6. In Chapter One there is something worrying Harry regarding Hogwarts. What is it?
7. Give one word that explains Vernon Dursley's reaction when Harry says "magic" in Chapter One. Explain why you have given this word.
8. Describe Dobby the House Elf's character when he arrives in Chapter Two.
9. Explain Harry's reaction when he hears the voice in Chapter Seven while serving detention.
10. Describe the difference between the treatment that Harry and Dudley receive from Petunia and Vernon Dursley as outlined in Chapter One.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main character in the story is Harry with Ron and Hermione always close by him in some regard. Describe the differences between the characters and their likenesses. Look at their characteristics and their backgrounds and explain why they work so effectively with each other.
Essay Topic 2
When the Chamber of Secrets was opened fifty years earlier there was a Muggle killed. At that point in time it was just Tom Riddle controlling the Basilisk. Do you think that it is possible that part of the reason that no one was killed is that Ginny was able to some very small extent to keep Tom Riddle under control while he worked through her? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hermione puts her schooling in danger by mixing the Polyjuice Potion. Explain the reason she was so willing to get into trouble making the potion. Is it possible that part of the reason she was willing to make the potion was because of the thrill of breaking the rules or to get revenge on Draco for calling her a Mudblood? Explain.
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)