|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ron tell Harry the definition of a Squib is?
2. What allows Ron to be level with Harry's window?
3. What happens that causes Harry to mispronounce Diagon Alley?
4. What is the first thing the car begins to do that worries Harry and Ron?
5. Why does Hermione want to get the Moste Potente Potions book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Ford Anglia that Mr. Weasley has enchanted and how it drives in Chapter Five when Ron drives it to Hogwarts.
2. Describe Fred and George and their appearance in Chapter Three.
3. What is the reaction that Harry and Ron receive from the other students in the Gryffindor House when they enter it after leaving Professor McGonagall's office in Chapter Five?
4. Describe the reaction Vernon has when he realizes that Harry is escaping with Ron and his brothers. Do you think his reaction is odd? Why or why not.
5. What is Filch's reaction when he finds Mrs. Norris, his cat, petrified?
6. What does Professor Binns tell the students about the Chamber of Secrets?
7. What are some of the effects of the Howler letter that Ron's mother sends him in Chapter Six?
8. Why does Harry not tell the professors about the voice he hears?
9. Explain Harry's reaction when he hears the voice in Chapter Seven while serving detention.
10. Explain why Vernon Dursley is so excited to receive the letter from the Improper Use of Magic Office after Dobby breaks Petunia's pudding dessert in Chapter Two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Harry had more than one opportunity to explain to Dumbledore about the voice that he was hearing that no one else seemed to hear. Was Harry right in keeping this to himself? Could he have told Dumbledore? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Quidditch seems to be an important part of Hogwarts life. Explain the role that it plays as a symbol in the book and why it is important to Harry and to what his character is.
Essay Topic 3
Moaning Myrtle is obsessed with death. She seems to enjoy sitting and thinking about it.
Part 1- Do you believe that she is happy being a ghost? Explain.
Part 2- Had Moaning Myrtle not chosen to stay in the bathroom where she was killed, would Harry and Ron have had any clue about where the entrance to the chamber was?
Part 3- Myrtle says that she still has feelings. Do you think that she has feelings or that she is simply sad all the time? Explain.
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)