Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Myrtle live?
2. Why does Oliver Wood wake Harry up at daybreak on Saturday?
3. What does Mr. Weasley install on the car in case they want to fly it?
4. How long does Dobby say he must serve his wizarding family?
5. How do Harry and Ron get to Hogwarts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the difference between the treatment that Harry and Dudley receive from Petunia and Vernon Dursley as outlined in Chapter One.
2. McGonagall finds Harry and Ron and tells them what their detention punishment will be. Harry will help Lockhart sign his fan mail and Ron will polish trophies without using magic. Are these detentions appropriate for them? Why or why not?
3. What does Harry see while he is hiding in the Borgin and Burkes Shop on Knockturn Alley.
4. How does Harry distract Snape while Hermione retrieves the needed ingredients?
5. What does Dumbledore tell Harry while in his office in Chapter Twelve?
6. How does Gilderoy Lockhart plan to boost the school moral in Chapter Thirteen?
7. What does Dumbledore tell Harry regarding his likeness to Voldemort?
8. Why does Hermione volunteer to sneak into Professor Snape's storeroom?
9. Describe Gilderoy Lockhart.
10. When Harry gets to the Chamber of Secrets in Chapter Seventeen what does Tom Riddle tell him?
Essay Topic 1
The phoenix appears after Harry proclaims his devotion to Dumbledore in the Chamber of Secrets. What does the phoenix symbolize in the story? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The main character in the story is Harry with Ron and Hermione always close by him in some regard. Describe the differences between the characters and their likenesses. Look at their characteristics and their backgrounds and explain why they work so effectively with each other.
Essay Topic 3
Moaning Myrtle is obsessed with death. She seems to enjoy sitting and thinking about it.
Part 1- Do you believe that she is happy being a ghost? Explain.
Part 2- Had Moaning Myrtle not chosen to stay in the bathroom where she was killed, would Harry and Ron have had any clue about where the entrance to the chamber was?
Part 3- Myrtle says that she still has feelings. Do you think that she has feelings or that she is simply sad all the time? Explain.
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)