|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hagrid say he is looking for in Knockturn Alley?
2. What attacks the car after it has crashed?
3. Why is the Mandrake considered dangerous?
4. What is wrong with Harry's owl?
5. What happens to Ron's wand in the crash?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the students saying about Harry after they find he can speak to snakes like Salazar Slytherin?
2. Describe Harry's feelings for Hogwarts, his school, as compared to the Dursley house where he lives with his aunt and uncle from what is detailed in Chapter One.
3. Explain how Hermione, Ron and Harry get Lockhart to sign a permission form for them to retrieve a book from the restricted section of the library.
4. Explain how Harry feels about the fortune that his parents left him that is held in Gringotts in London.
5. When Harry gets to the Chamber of Secrets in Chapter Seventeen what does Tom Riddle tell him?
6. What does Dumbledore tell Harry regarding his likeness to Voldemort?
7. What does Aragog tell Harry and Ron about the creature from the Chamber of Secrets?
8. What does Harry hear while lying in the hospital wing when Dumbledore brings in a petrified Collin Creevey?
9. In Chapter Thirteen why has Moaning Myrtle flooded the bathroom and been crying?
10. What does Professor Binns tell the students about the Chamber of Secrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ginny had been acting oddly from the beginning of the story due to the fact that she has feelings for Harry.
Part 1-How would the story have been different if she hadn't had feelings for Harry?
Part 2-Would someone have noticed sooner that she was acting strangely because of the diary if she had not been preoccupied with Harry?
Essay Topic 2
Dumbledore says in the story that it is not a question of who opened the chamber but how. Later when Harry saves Ginny, Dumbledore doesn't seem surprised by the fact that it was Tom Riddle. Dumbledore also was said to have kept a close eye on Tom Riddle while he was in school. Given the information, did Dumbledore know that it was Tom Riddle that was responsible? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
When the Chamber of Secrets was opened fifty years earlier there was a Muggle killed. At that point in time it was just Tom Riddle controlling the Basilisk. Do you think that it is possible that part of the reason that no one was killed is that Ginny was able to some very small extent to keep Tom Riddle under control while he worked through her? Explain.
This section contains 2,004 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)