|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What allows Ron to be level with Harry's window?
2. Who does Professor Binns say built the secret chamber in the school according to legend?
3. Who tags along with Harry to Quidditch practice even though Harry tries to get him/her not to do it?
4. Who arrives and tells Ron and Harry the password to enter Gryffindor Tower?
5. What does Hermione tell Ron she has been very busy with over the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter One there is something worrying Harry regarding Hogwarts. What is it?
2. Give one word that explains Vernon Dursley's reaction when Harry says "magic" in Chapter One. Explain why you have given this word.
3. From what Dobby tells Harry in Chapter Two there is danger waiting at Hogwarts although he does not explain to Harry what that danger is. Do you think that Dobby could have told Harry anything that would have kept him from leaving the Durlseys and returning to Hogwarts? Explain.
4. Explain why Vernon Dursley is so excited to receive the letter from the Improper Use of Magic Office after Dobby breaks Petunia's pudding dessert in Chapter Two.
5. Describe Serverous Snape and the description that Ron and Harry give him in Chapter Five.
6. Describe the Deathday party for Nearly Headless Nick.
7. Describe the reaction Vernon has when he realizes that Harry is escaping with Ron and his brothers. Do you think his reaction is odd? Why or why not.
8. Explain how Harry feels about the fortune that his parents left him that is held in Gringotts in London.
9. Describe the difference between the treatment that Harry and Dudley receive from Petunia and Vernon Dursley as outlined in Chapter One.
10. Describe the Ford Anglia that Mr. Weasley has enchanted and how it drives in Chapter Five when Ron drives it to Hogwarts.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chamber of Secrets had been opened only fifty years ago. Many of the people at Hogwarts, such as the ghosts and teachers, were around at that time.
Part 1-Describe why they were so quick to dismiss the fact that the chamber was a myth and didn't exist.
Part 2-How would things have been different if the Chamber of Secrets had been taken as a more serious threat in the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
The main character in the story is Harry with Ron and Hermione always close by him in some regard. Describe the differences between the characters and their likenesses. Look at their characteristics and their backgrounds and explain why they work so effectively with each other.
Essay Topic 3
When the Chamber of Secrets was opened fifty years earlier there was a Muggle killed. At that point in time it was just Tom Riddle controlling the Basilisk. Do you think that it is possible that part of the reason that no one was killed is that Ginny was able to some very small extent to keep Tom Riddle under control while he worked through her? Explain.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)