|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sent the letter that Errol has?
2. Who does Hermione ask to tell them about the Chamber of Secrets?
3. Which two schools were said to have had a serious argument about which students to be let into Hogwarts?
4. Who freezes the pixies with a charm?
5. What is Gilderoy Lockhart doing at the bookshop?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Vernon Dursley is so excited to receive the letter from the Improper Use of Magic Office after Dobby breaks Petunia's pudding dessert in Chapter Two.
2. Describe Ginny Weasley.
3. Who do Harry, Ron, and Hermione seem to think would be a possibility for the Heir Slytherin in Chapter Nine and why?
4. Explain how Harry feels about the fortune that his parents left him that is held in Gringotts in London.
5. What does Professor Binns tell the students about the Chamber of Secrets?
6. Describe Fred and George and their appearance in Chapter Three.
7. Describe the Ford Anglia that Mr. Weasley has enchanted and how it drives in Chapter Five when Ron drives it to Hogwarts.
8. In Chapter One there is something worrying Harry regarding Hogwarts. What is it?
9. What is the reaction that Harry and Ron receive from the other students in the Gryffindor House when they enter it after leaving Professor McGonagall's office in Chapter Five?
10. What is confusing to Harry when he hears the voice in the hall before they find the petrified cat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are things in the book that point strongly in the direction of the Chamber of Secrets and the monster that lies within--Ginny and her odd behavior, the voice that only Harry can hear, and Moaning Myrtle. Take away one of these and explain how it would have changed the rest of the story and what it added to have it included.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Dobby's frame of mind that tore him between loyalty to his family and a desire to help Harry Potter. Which do you feel was stronger? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
When the Chamber of Secrets was opened fifty years earlier there was a Muggle killed. At that point in time it was just Tom Riddle controlling the Basilisk. Do you think that it is possible that part of the reason that no one was killed is that Ginny was able to some very small extent to keep Tom Riddle under control while he worked through her? Explain.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)