|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Harry's owl?
2. Why is Hagrid not allowed to use magic?
3. Why does Dobby tell Harry he has come to talk to him?
4. Who catches Ron, Hermione and Harry coming out of the girls' bathroom where Moaning Myrtle stays?
5. What attacks the car after it has crashed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter One there is something worrying Harry regarding Hogwarts. What is it?
2. Describe the reaction Vernon has when he realizes that Harry is escaping with Ron and his brothers. Do you think his reaction is odd? Why or why not.
3. Describe Ginny Weasley.
4. In Chapter Two Harry has a dream that he is in locked in a cage. Explain how the dream explains his situation and his feelings.
5. Describe Serverous Snape and the description that Ron and Harry give him in Chapter Five.
6. In Chapter Five what does Gilderoy Lockhart say is the cause for Harry flying the car to school?
7. From what Dobby tells Harry in Chapter Two there is danger waiting at Hogwarts although he does not explain to Harry what that danger is. Do you think that Dobby could have told Harry anything that would have kept him from leaving the Durlseys and returning to Hogwarts? Explain.
8. Why does Harry not tell the professors about the voice he hears?
9. Describe Fred and George and their appearance in Chapter Three.
10. What are some of the effects of the Howler letter that Ron's mother sends him in Chapter Six?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Dobby's frame of mind that tore him between loyalty to his family and a desire to help Harry Potter. Which do you feel was stronger? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Harry had more than one opportunity to explain to Dumbledore about the voice that he was hearing that no one else seemed to hear. Was Harry right in keeping this to himself? Could he have told Dumbledore? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Lucius Malfoy is very hard on his son. He openly rebukes him for not being smarter than Hermione, a Mudblood, but then buys him new equipment to ensure he is put on the Slytherin Quidditch team.
Part 1-Explain their relationship.
Part 2-Do you think that Draco could do anything to fully make his father proud?
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)