|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Dobby say he must serve his wizarding family?
(a) Two hundred years
(b) Until he decides to quit
(c) Two years
2. Why is the Mandrake considered dangerous?
(a) Its bite will cause death in moments.
(b) Its cry is fatal to anyone who hears it.
(c) Anyone who looks at it long enough becomes entranced.
(d) It smells bad enough to cause convulsions.
3. What do Ron, Hermione, and Harry find when they go back to the Hall where Mrs. Norris had been petrified?
4. What allows Ron to be level with Harry's window?
(a) A ladder
(b) A magic carpet
(c) A flying car
(d) A dragon
5. What is Harry given to eat before the Masons arrive?
(a) A peanut butter and jelly sandwich
(b) Moldy bread and a glass of water
(d) Two pieces of bread and a lump of cheese
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is visiting Hagrid when Harry and Hermione get Ron to his house?
2. How do they travel to Diagon Alley to get school supplies?
3. What happens when Ron and Harry try to get to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters?
4. How do Fred and George get to Harry's magic items that have been locked up in the cupboard?
5. How many letters has Harry received from his friends over the holidays?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give one word that explains Vernon Dursley's reaction when Harry says "magic" in Chapter One. Explain why you have given this word.
2. What is the reaction that Harry and Ron receive from the other students in the Gryffindor House when they enter it after leaving Professor McGonagall's office in Chapter Five?
3. Explain Harry's reaction when he hears the voice in Chapter Seven while serving detention.
4. In Chapter Two Harry has a dream that he is in locked in a cage. Explain how the dream explains his situation and his feelings.
5. Describe what happens in Gilderoy Lockhart's first class in Chapter Six. What does this reveal about his character?
6. Describe the Weasley house.
7. From what Dobby tells Harry in Chapter Two there is danger waiting at Hogwarts although he does not explain to Harry what that danger is. Do you think that Dobby could have told Harry anything that would have kept him from leaving the Durlseys and returning to Hogwarts? Explain.
8. Draco Malfoy calls Hermione a Mudblood in Chapter Seven. Given the reaction to what is said, explain the significance of the term and what its description would be.
9. In Chapter Five what does Gilderoy Lockhart say is the cause for Harry flying the car to school?
10. Why does Harry not tell the professors about the voice he hears?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)