|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does the narrator describe Hal's mother playing with him in Chapter 120?
2. What artist does the narrator describe having cut off his ear in Chapter 113?
3. What does Calliope say she has been concentrating on in the beginning of Chapter 100?
4. What does the white whale battle against in the Captain's story in Chapter 81?
5. What color hair does the girl with the puzzle have at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Parrot solicit Caden to do in Chapter 71?
2. What does Caden remark about the faces on dollar bills in Chapter 74?
3. What happens when Caden's diving bell is tested in Chapter 69?
4. Where is the worm described by Caden in Chapter 68: "Worm Inside"?
5. What does Calliope solicit Caden to do for her in Chapter 100?
6. How does Caden describe his state of mind as his parents drive him to the hospital in Chapter 75?
7. What does Hal say about symbols in Chapter 110?
8. How is Hal's mother described in Chapter 102?
9. Why does Callie come to Caden's room at night in Chapter 111?
10. What foes are described by the Captain in Chapter 81: "War of the Nemesi"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different medications that Caden is prescribed at the hospital. What are the names of the drugs and what are they used to treat? How does Caden respond to the medications? How does he describe the experience of being on meds?
Essay Topic 2
How does Caden describe the experience of his mental illness in the novel? In what ways is Caden's illness glorious to him? In what ways is it tragic? What emotions does Caden experience as he enters into his first "episode"?
Essay Topic 3
How do Caden's family members, teachers, and peers respond to the changes in behavior that he undergoes? Do you think that their concerns are justified? What treatment is sought to help Caden?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)