|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the parrot tell Caden he needs to depend on him for in Chapter 71?
2. What does the Captain describe as the huge, scaled creature and "a very formidable adversary" in Chapter 118?
3. Who is the new therapy group leader that leads Caden's group in Chapter 86?
4. Who is the artist of David that the narrator alludes to in Chapter 113?
5. What is Caden ordered to clean in Chapter 82?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caden remark about the faces on dollar bills in Chapter 74?
2. What does the fish tank at the hospital make Caden question in Chapter 75?
3. Where does Carlyle tell Caden he can find the key to free Calliope's legs in Chapter 107?
4. Where is the worm described by Caden in Chapter 68: "Worm Inside"?
5. What information does Hal relate to Caden about his mother in Chapter 120?
6. What does the Parrot solicit Caden to do in Chapter 71?
7. What does Hal say about symbols in Chapter 110?
8. What artists does Caden describe along with their madness in Chapter 113?
9. How does Caden describe his state of mind as his parents drive him to the hospital in Chapter 75?
10. How is Hal's mother described in Chapter 102?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Caden describe the experience of his mental illness in the novel? In what ways is Caden's illness glorious to him? In what ways is it tragic? What emotions does Caden experience as he enters into his first "episode"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of stigmas, stereotypes, and assumptions about mental illness and the treatment of mental illness in the novel. How does the author explore different cultural and historical views of mental illness? How did these views differ? How does the novel serve to confront stigmas?
Essay Topic 3
How are the treatments for mental illness portrayed in Challenger Deep? What are the positive and negative aspects of Caden's treatment? What are the outcomes of the treatment that Caden receives at Seaview?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)