|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caden describe his picture that he draws in group therapy in the beginning of Chapter 112?
2. From what narrative perspective is Chapter 70 related?
3. What does "MRI" stand for?
4. What does Caden describe his doctor as always wearing in Chapter 84?
5. Who is described in Chapter 112 as "the girl with bandages on her throat"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Callie describe her history in the hospital in Chapter 106?
2. Why does Callie come to Caden's room at night in Chapter 111?
3. Where is the worm described by Caden in Chapter 68: "Worm Inside"?
4. What does Calliope solicit Caden to do for her in Chapter 100?
5. What artists does Caden describe along with their madness in Chapter 113?
6. How have Caden's perceptions of his parents changed in Chapter 72?
7. What does Hal say about symbols in Chapter 110?
8. What does the Parrot solicit Caden to do in Chapter 71?
9. What happens when Caden's diving bell is tested in Chapter 69?
10. Where does Carlyle tell Caden he can find the key to free Calliope's legs in Chapter 107?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of tragedy in mental illness in Challenger Deep. What tragedies appear in the novel? How are these tragedies directly or indirectly connected to mental illness? What symbolism supports this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Caden's relationship with Carlyle in the novel. Why do you think that Carlyle is one of the few characters who remains the same in Caden's reality and in his alternate reality? What advice does Carlyle give to Caden? What happens to Carlyle?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the death of the parrot on the pirate ship. Who kills the parrot? Why? What impact does the parrot's death have on the plot of the story?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)