|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caden describe his doctor as always wearing in Chapter 84?
2. Chapter 103 is titled "Magic Mantras and Latex" what?
3. What images are on Callie's pajamas in Chapter 111?
4. Hal tells his mother in Chapter 102, "Our thoughts are only" what?
5. Who is described in Chapter 112 as "the girl with bandages on her throat"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caden describe his state of mind as his parents drive him to the hospital in Chapter 75?
2. What does Calliope solicit Caden to do for her in Chapter 100?
3. What does Caden remark about the faces on dollar bills in Chapter 74?
4. How have Caden's perceptions of his parents changed in Chapter 72?
5. What foes are described by the Captain in Chapter 81: "War of the Nemesi"?
6. Why does Callie come to Caden's room at night in Chapter 111?
7. How is Hal's mother described in Chapter 102?
8. Where does Carlyle tell Caden he can find the key to free Calliope's legs in Chapter 107?
9. What phrase does Caden describe his father repeating and annoying him in Chapter 103? Why does it annoy Caden?
10. How does Caden describe the manufacturing of medication in Chapter 115?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of stigmas, stereotypes, and assumptions about mental illness and the treatment of mental illness in the novel. How does the author explore different cultural and historical views of mental illness? How did these views differ? How does the novel serve to confront stigmas?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the settings of the pirate ship and the setting of Seaview Memorial Hospital in the novel. How are these settings similar? How are they different? What correlations exist between these two settings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of Challenger Deep. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? Where does the climax occur? What is revealed in the falling action and denouement of the story?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)