|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what grade was Caden when he describes the mentally ill kid that banged his head in Chapter 58?
2. How does the narrator describe his spinning emotions in Chapter 5?
3. What does the parrot demand that Caden do in the beginning of Chapter 25?
4. Where does the protagonist describe his dream taking place in Chapter 3?
5. What is the obsession that the narrator describes taking over him in Chapter 44?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caden describe his past on the pirate ship in Chapter 4?
2. Who are the crew members that have been called for the mission in Chapter 35? How are they described?
3. How does Caden perform on his science exam in Chapter 30? Why?
4. What experience does Caden describe when his dad was driving the car on the way to school a few years ago in Chapter 53: "Hindsight at my Feet"?
5. What does the setting called "the crow's nest" represent symbolically?
6. How would you describe the narrative style in Chapter 1? Why does the author employ this narrative perspective here?
7. What advice does Caden's father give him regarding the kid at school whom Caden thinks wants to kill him in Chapter 8?
8. What observations does Max make regarding Caden's behavior in Chapter 51?
9. What information does Caden relate about the Marianas Deep in Chapter 35?
10. How is the narrative in Chapter 2 related? From what perspective is the majority of the story told? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Caden's relationship with Callie in the novel. How is Callie represented in Caden's alternate reality? In what ways do Caden and Callie help one another in their recovery? What happens to Callie?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different medications that Caden is prescribed at the hospital. What are the names of the drugs and what are they used to treat? How does Caden respond to the medications? How does he describe the experience of being on meds?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of Challenger Deep. Where in the narrative does the exposition transition into rising action? Where does the climax occur? What is revealed in the falling action and denouement of the story?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)