|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 66, "Do you know how it feels, to be free from yourself and" what?
(a) "Terrified by it?"
(b) "Alone on the sea?"
(c) "Above the sky?"
2. Where in Las Vegas does Caden take Mackenzie in Chapter 22?
(a) Caesar's Palace.
(b) Circus Circus.
(c) The Magenta.
(d) Trump Tower.
3. What color hair is Carlyle described as having in Chapter 16?
4. The narrator describes his visit with the therapist in Chapter 64, saying, "How do you trust a therapist when" what?
(a) "Even his windows are a lie."
(b) "There are bars on all the windows."
(c) "Even the plant in his waiting room is a lie."
(d) "Even his secretary can't remember your name."
5. What is the deepest place in the Marianas Trench called?
(a) Challenger Deep.
(b) Marianas Depth.
(c) The Great Crypt.
(d) Nova Challenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator describe needing to help his sister with in Chapter 4?
2. What is the title of Chapter 53, which describes the rear-view mirror missing in Caden's father's car?
3. From what narrative point of view is Chapter 1 related?
4. How deep does the protagonist claim the Marianas Trench to be in Chapter 2?
5. From what class does Caden derive a metaphor for "what happens when your universe begins to get off balance" in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caden describe his past on the pirate ship in Chapter 4?
2. What is Carlyle's position on the ship? What is his relationship to Caden?
3. What information does Caden relate about the Marianas Deep in Chapter 35?
4. Who is Ms. Sassel and why does she speak with Caden in Chapter 43?
5. What conversation does Calliope have with Caden in Chapter 42?
6. What are Caden and the Captain discussing in Chapter 2?
7. What is the White Plastic Kitchen? How is it described in Chapter 10?
8. What observations does Max make regarding Caden's behavior in Chapter 51?
9. How does Caden describe his job on the ship in Chapter 15? What is the job that most of the crew has?
10. Who are the crew members that have been called for the mission in Chapter 35? How are they described?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)