|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the challenge that the Captain gives to Caden in Chapter 34?
(a) Cleaning the cannon.
(b) Polishing the bowsprit.
(c) Swabbing the deck.
(d) Diving at the Challenger Deep.
2. What is the obsession that the narrator describes taking over him in Chapter 44?
(d) Playing video games.
3. The Marianas Trench is located southwest of what island?
(a) Bora Bora.
4. What does Caden do in Chapter 59?
(a) He goes into the hospital.
(b) He calls the police on his parents.
(c) He jumps into the river.
(d) He ditches school.
5. What position on the ship does Carlyle hold?
(b) "Master Helmsman."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator describe needing to help his sister with in Chapter 4?
2. In what class is Caden taking a test in Chapter 39?
3. For how long does Caden say he's been designing a computer RPG game with Max and Shelby in Chapter 19?
4. What title has "the pudgy kid" been given on the ship in Chapter 40?
5. The narrator says in Chapter 66, "Do you know how it feels, to be free from yourself and" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Caden relate about the Marianas Deep in Chapter 35?
2. What experience does Caden describe when his dad was driving the car on the way to school a few years ago in Chapter 53: "Hindsight at my Feet"?
3. What challenge does the Captain present to Caden in Chapter 34? Why?
4. What behavior of Caden's causes Mackenzie to lose her temper in Chapter 44?
5. What metaphor does the narrator make in describing the donation bucket at the mall in Chapter 7?
6. What observations does Max make regarding Caden's behavior in Chapter 51?
7. How would you describe the narrative style in Chapter 1? Why does the author employ this narrative perspective here?
8. What positions for the mission have been doled out to the inner circle on the pirate ship in Chapter 40?
9. What is Carlyle's position on the ship? What is his relationship to Caden?
10. What advice does Caden's father give him regarding the kid at school whom Caden thinks wants to kill him in Chapter 8?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)