|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Captain describe as the huge, scaled creature and "a very formidable adversary" in Chapter 118?
(a) "The Ballast-Grinder."
(b) "The Abyssmal Serpent."
(c) "The crestmare."
(d) "The Nemesi."
2. What does "MRI" stand for?
(a) Murderous relative intent.
(b) Mutinous resistance impulse.
(c) Magnetic resonance imaging.
(d) Multiple resonance imaging.
3. What is being "put to the test" in Chapter 69?
(a) The cannon.
(b) The rudder.
(c) A diving bell.
(d) The tiller.
4. What does the parrot tell Caden he needs to depend on him for in Chapter 71?
(a) To kill the doctor.
(b) To kill the Captain.
(c) To steer the ship.
(d) To kill Carlyle.
5. The narrator says in Chapter 83, "Your parents come once a day during visiting hour, like a pair of" what?
(b) "Clockwork robots."
(d) "Ghost that see through you."
6. What is the name of the doctor that Caden sees at the hospital?
(a) Dr. Poirot.
(b) Dr. Carlyle.
(c) Dr. Anderson.
(d) Dr. Cullen.
7. What "honors" does the Captain say he will let Caden have in Chapter 73?
(a) "The honors of diving to Challenger Deep."
(b) "The honors of killing the parrot."
(c) "The honors of steering the ship."
(d) "The honors of the crown."
8. What artist is alluded to in Chapter 100: "Garden of Unearthly Delights"?
(c) Hieronymous Bosch.
(d) Pablo Picasso.
9. Who is the creator of the show The Twilight Zone that is alluded to in Chapter 79?
(a) Andrew Willeth.
(b) Peter Jackson.
(c) Rod Serling.
(d) James Wilson.
10. How many times does Callie say she's had "episodes" in Chapter 106?
11. When does the crow's nest operate, according to the narrator in Chapter 109?
(a) 8 hours a day.
(b) 24 hours a day.
(c) 12 hours a day.
(d) 6 hours a day.
12. What color hair does the girl with the puzzle have at the hospital?
13. The narrator says in Chapter 111, "It occurs to me that the most meaningful symbols of all must be based on" what?
(a) "The different ways two people can embrace."
(b) "All love and reason."
(c) "All anarchy and confusion."
(d) "The things that we dream when we are happy."
14. Who is the new therapy group leader that leads Caden's group in Chapter 86?
15. Where does Carlyle say the key is hidden in Chapter 107?
(a) Next to the Marianas Trench.
(b) Behind the peach pit in the socket of the Captain's dead eye.
(c) Under the treasures at the bottom of the Challenger Deep.
(d) Behind the left hand on Calliope's mast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hal tells his mother in Chapter 102, "Our thoughts are only" what?
2. Chapter 103 is titled "Magic Mantras and Latex" what?
3. With whom does the Captain describe Captain Ahab battling in Chapter 81?
4. How does Caden describe his picture that he draws in group therapy in the beginning of Chapter 112?
5. What is Caden ordered to clean on the pirate ship in Chapter 67?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)