|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Tayo, Leroy and Emo earn in the war?
(a) Purple hearts
(b) Commendation medals
(c) Silver stars
(d) General discharges
2. How does Ts’eh have Tayo’s cattle corralled?
(a) They ran into a arroyo with a dead end
(b) She sung them calm then put them in her corral
(c) Her cattle dog herded them
(d) She enticed them with hay
3. What is behind the bar at Cerritos?
(a) A barrel cactus that is fifteen feet tall
(b) A field of corn
(c) A garage
(d) A large pond
4. What is the name of Auntie’s old dog who always ran after female dogs in heat?
5. What does Tayo feel about the medicine man’s possessions?
(a) They are holy
(b) They are cast-offs of the white people
(c) They are too disorganized
(d) There are too few of them
6. What is painted on the war shield that is at Tayo’s house when he returns from finding the cattle?
(a) A horse
(b) A cave with a spring in it
(c) A Navajo war chief
(d) A night sky with stars
7. Where is Thought-Woman sitting in the opening poem?
(a) In her room
(b) In a creek bed
(c) Under a tree
(d) On top of a mountain
8. Where did the medicine man first go to school?
(b) Salt Lake City
(d) Riverside, Ca
9. What is the police’s response to the woman with the reddish hair’s behavior?
(a) Nothing, they are not involved
(b) They arrest the woman
(c) They take everyone in the arroyo away and tear down the shelters
(d) They arrest the white men who are harassing the women
10. How did white people come to be, according to the medicine man?
(a) A white god from another universe placed them on the earth
(b) They were created by Indian witchery
(c) The Great Spirit created them to teach Indians courage
(d) They were all born at the same time but took different paths through evolution
11. What color is the beard of the store keeper where Tayo tries to buy some candy?
12. How is Tayo able to anticipate Auntie’s mood?
(a) By how high her voice is when she speaks
(b) By what she cooks
(c) By watching her face
(d) By what television show she has on
13. What does Auntie tell Tayo and Old Grandma is the way that Pinkie dies?
(a) Emo shoots him in the back of the head
(b) He is hit by a car
(c) Leroy stabbed him in the heart
(d) Pinkie does not get killed
14. Why does Tayo shake the branches on the tree outside Ts’eh’s house?
(a) To make a pattern for divination
(b) To watch the snow fall
(c) To get the blanket off a branch
(d) To get the snow off so the branches do not break
15. In what three colors does the medicine man paint paw prints next to bear footprints?
(a) Brown, green and blue
(b) Blue, yellow, and white
(c) Red, yellow, and black
(d) Purple, black and white
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tayo’s mother doing before he is born that his Auntie sees?
2. To whom does Tayo talk almost incessantly?
3. What has Rocky promised to buy Old Grandma with his army pay?
4. What does the medicine man tell Tayo about who the medicine man’s grandmother was?
5. Upon what does Harley come riding up when he finds Tayo and asks for a beer?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)