|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the poem "Ceremony" at the beginning of the book, what tries to destroy the stories?
2. How many years has it been dry since Tayo prayed the rain away?
3. In which direction do the cows always run?
4. Where does Tayo's mother live?
(a) In a trailer on the Sioux reservation
(b) In an apartment in Gallup
(c) She is homeless
(d) In a house in Santa Fe
5. What does Tayo do right before Rocky begins to dress a deer they killed in a hunt?
(a) Walks away
(b) Covers the deer’s head with his jacket
(c) Start crying
(d) Pulls up long grass and covers the deer’s head
6. What does Tayo find out about cigarette butts when he is a toddler?
(a) They would come apart if he tugged on them
(b) He would vomit if he ate them
(c) They could be hot
(d) They came in different colors
7. What does Rocky tell Josiah about the cattle books Josiah decides to abandon?
(a) The books are written by scientist so one should follow their advice
(b) The books are written by white idiots
(d) The books will not help with raising cattle
8. What does Emo suggests the men do since they fought a white man’s war and still are stuck on a dried up reservation?
(a) Kill the white president
(b) Go to law school and fight the laws
(c) Rejoin the army
(d) Get their hands on some white women
9. How does the medicine man Tayo is sent to wear his hair?
(a) It is cut short like the military
(b) It is shoulder length and wavy
(c) In a single braid down his back
(d) Tied in a chongo knot with red yarn
10. What does Harley have in his hand when the friends stop to pick up Tayo who is walking on the side of the road?
(a) A gun
(b) Two bottles of Garden Deluxe Tokay
(c) Two cold beers
(d) A camera
11. Out of what did the old male Indians whittle toothpicks?
(a) Hickory branches
(b) Cacti thorns
(c) Pinon twigs
12. What does Tayo eat as he is walking back to Ts’eh’s house?
(a) Gum drops
(c) Pinon nuts
(d) Beef jerky
13. What does Tayo do with the heart and liver of the deer?
(a) He puts them into a cooler
(b) He leaves them for the wolves
(c) They eat it raw right out of the body
(d) He wraps them in cheesecloth
14. Where do Harley and Tayo pick up a ride after they leave the spring?
(a) Near the edge of the desert barrio
(b) Nowhere, they are riding
(c) On the Acoma Road
(d) At Harley’s house
15. What kind of job does Helen Jean get in Gallup?
(c) Theater janitor
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tayo tell Ku'oosh about Tayo’s experience in the war?
2. What does Tayo's sergeant tell the men to do that Tayo is unable to do?
3. Where do the holy men look when they want to know the time to dance for rain?
4. What does Tayo say when Leroy offers him a drink while in the truck?
5. How does Harley get to a bar once when he had been sent to the far reaches of the reservation?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)