|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Helen Jean leave the bar?
(a) Her brother came to get her
(b) She has to go meet her sister
(c) She is interested in a Mexican man there
(d) She does not like the atmosphere
2. Where did the medicine man see Geronimo on display?
(b) St. Louis
(c) Santa Fe
3. What is the name of Auntie’s old dog who always ran after female dogs in heat?
4. What is the police’s response to the woman with the reddish hair’s behavior?
(a) They arrest the white men who are harassing the women
(b) Nothing, they are not involved
(c) They take everyone in the arroyo away and tear down the shelters
(d) They arrest the woman
5. What does Tayo say one has to know in order to get to the moon?
(a) How to speak the man in the moon's language
(b) If one really wants to get there
(c) How many ways there are of arriving there
(d) The directions there
6. According to the poem "Ceremony" at the beginning of the book, what tries to destroy the stories?
7. What does Betonie draw in the sand that he tells Tayo to remember?
(a) The pattern of some stars
(b) A map
(c) A type of herb for nausea
(d) How to twine vines for the next Ceremony
8. What does Harley say riding in the truck at top speed is better than?
(a) Carnival rides at the Laguna festival
(b) A six pack of cold beer
(c) Warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream
(d) Taking the roller coaster in Atlantic City
9. Why does Auntie always watch Tayo more closely than Rocky when they were growing up?
(a) Rocky was her own son and she had to raise him
(b) Rocky was innately good
(c) Tayo always need more attention
(d) Tayo had a more promising future
10. What does Floyd Lee call his miles of barbed wire fencing?
(a) Home moat
(b) Cattle prod
(c) Indian bait
(d) Wolf-proof fence
11. Why does medicine man say deeds and titles mean nothing to Mount Taylor?
(a) The mountain will kill the white people and bury their deeds and titles
(b) The white people will all die out and the mountain will still stand
(c) The Indians belong to the mountain
(d) The mountain cannot read
12. How does the medicine man Tayo is sent to wear his hair?
(a) Tied in a chongo knot with red yarn
(b) It is cut short like the military
(c) In a single braid down his back
(d) It is shoulder length and wavy
13. What does the medicine man say about living so close to Gallup?
(a) The town is out of place
(b) He is thinking about moving
(c) The town belongs to the land
(d) He hates it
14. Where do Josiah and Tayo fill up their water barrels?
(a) At the spring in the sandstone cave
(b) At the government office
(c) At the village well
(d) In the river
15. How is Tayo able to anticipate Auntie’s mood?
(a) By watching her face
(b) By what television show she has on
(c) By how high her voice is when she speaks
(d) By what she cooks
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harley get to a bar once when he had been sent to the far reaches of the reservation?
2. What does the medicine man tell Tayo about who the medicine man’s grandmother was?
3. Where do the holy men look when they want to know the time to dance for rain?
4. What does Robert tell Tayo the elders have said when Tayo tells Robert he is ready to help?
5. How did white people come to be, according to the medicine man?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)