|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did white people come to be, according to the medicine man?
(a) A white god from another universe placed them on the earth
(b) They were created by Indian witchery
(c) They were all born at the same time but took different paths through evolution
(d) The Great Spirit created them to teach Indians courage
2. What does Josiah’s mistress say frightens most people?
(b) Dying of thirst in the desert
(d) Losing one’s identity
3. What is the name of the medicine man that Ku'oosh wants Tayo to see?
(d) Red Sun
4. Out of what did the old male Indians whittle toothpicks?
(b) Cacti thorns
(c) Pinon twigs
(d) Hickory branches
5. What color is the beard of the store keeper where Tayo tries to buy some candy?
6. What does Betonie draw in the sand that he tells Tayo to remember?
(a) A type of herb for nausea
(b) How to twine vines for the next Ceremony
(c) A map
(d) The pattern of some stars
7. Why is Tayo happy it starts snowing the morning after his encounter with the fence patrol?
(a) It will mean they will not be able to track him
(b) He likes it when the land looks new with snow on it
(c) It will bring water to the land
(d) He will be able to bury himself in the snow to sleep that night
8. What does Tayo's sergeant tell the men to do that Tayo is unable to do?
(a) Kill young children
(b) Beat up another American soldier
(c) Kill unarmed Japanese prisoners
(d) Bury evidence
9. What does the medicine man do when Tayo wakes and the medicine man sits down with Tayo?
(a) Tayo does not sleep after the Ceremony
(b) Fills a peace pipe and passes it to Tayo
(c) Tayo does not see the medicine man after the Ceremony
(d) Rolls a cigarette and smokes
10. What does Tayo do when he goes into the corn field one night?
(a) Strips the corn from the plants
(b) Draws a crop circle
(c) Smashes the melons growing there
(d) Lays down to watch the corn above him
11. For what is Reed Woman scolded by her sister?
(a) Dancing all night
(b) Sleeping all day
(c) Bathing all day
(d) Singing during the sacred
12. What does "she" say is the only cure in the four-line poem, "What She Said"?
(c) A good Ceremony
13. What is the name of the Apache sheepherder Auntie has?
(a) White Cloud
14. Why does Josiah’s mistress leave the village?
(a) She goes home to care for her elderly mother
(b) She dies
(c) She gets married
(d) Josiah dies
15. How does the medicine man Tayo is sent to wear his hair?
(a) It is shoulder length and wavy
(b) In a single braid down his back
(c) It is cut short like the military
(d) Tied in a chongo knot with red yarn
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Auntie keep Josiah very busy?
2. In May where does Tayo tell his family he is going to go?
3. What happens to Rocky and Tayo the first day they are in Oakland?
4. In which direction do the cows always run?
5. Why are some of the cattles’ necks scraped?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)