|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of trees do the people from the villages use for carving?
(d) Black walnut
2. What does Helen Jean do for a living in her hometown before she moves to Gallup?
(c) Hotel maid
(d) Cook for a missionary
3. What does Auntie take from Tayo when he is a small boy and will not return to him?
(a) A letter from his mother
(b) The name and address of his father
(c) A picture of his father
(d) A picture of his mother
4. What was wrong with the wool blankets the army gave the Indians in the 1800’s?
(a) They were moth eaten
(b) They were all green
(c) They were infected with smallpox
(d) They were more cotton than wool
5. How does Ts’eh have Tayo’s cattle corralled?
(a) Her cattle dog herded them
(b) They ran into a arroyo with a dead end
(c) She enticed them with hay
(d) She sung them calm then put them in her corral
6. What does the woman with reddish hair do when white men come to harass the women at the arroyo?
(a) Throws the bottles back at the white men and curses them
(b) Kicks one of them in the groin
(c) Shoots one with her bow
(d) She ignores them
7. What did all the Navajos do in the white school when the teacher brought out a tub of dead frogs to dissect?
(a) Tipped the tub over
(b) Stood up and left the room
(c) Stood up and turned their backs to the tub
(d) Start singing a chant
8. What does Rocky tell Josiah about the cattle books Josiah decides to abandon?
(a) The books will not help with raising cattle
(c) The books are written by white idiots
(d) The books are written by scientist so one should follow their advice
9. What does the army recruiter tell Tayo and Rocky about joining the military?
(a) He does not mention anything about them being Indians
(b) He tells them anyone can fight for America when there is a war
(c) He tells them it will bring money to the reservation
(d) He says there is a special Indian unit
10. To what tribe do the two Indians belong who get coins from Tayo when he and Robert are on the bridge?
11. What does Tayo say when Leroy offers him a drink while in the truck?
(a) His stomach is too sick for drinking
(b) He would like a beer
(c) He does not like the brand of wine
(d) He is attending AA
12. Where does Tayo sleep the night when the cowboys let him go?
(a) In a shallow depression covered with leaves
(b) In a cave
(c) Near the pine tree where he cut the fence
(d) Next to the body of his horse
13. What is playing on the juke box at the Y bar when Tayo and the others enter the bar?
(a) A World War II military song
(b) A Mexican polka
(c) A cowboy country western
(d) A love ballad
14. What is the name of Auntie’s old dog who always ran after female dogs in heat?
15. What does the Irishman call out to Emo when the Irishman knocks on Emo’s door when Emo is with a redhead woman?
(d) Stinkin Indin
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tayo shake the branches on the tree outside Ts’eh’s house?
2. What does Tayo do right before Rocky begins to dress a deer they killed in a hunt?
3. What does Josiah and Robert do to the deer while Rocky is gutting it?
4. What does Tayo do when Emo will not leave him alone at the bar?
5. What is the police’s response to the woman with the reddish hair’s behavior?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)