|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the old Utes say about elevators and juke boxes?
(a) They would like to see them some day
(b) They are evil
(c) They do not exist
(d) They are not useful
2. What does Josiah’s mistress say frightens most people?
(c) Losing one’s identity
(d) Dying of thirst in the desert
3. Where does Tayo want to go when he wakes up crying and dreaming about Josiah?
(a) A cave where he and Rocky used to stay for days at a time
(b) The veteran's hospital
(c) His cousin's old RV out on the edge of the reservation
(d) The bar where his mother works
4. What was wrong with the wool blankets the army gave the Indians in the 1800’s?
(a) They were all green
(b) They were infected with smallpox
(c) They were more cotton than wool
(d) They were moth eaten
5. In May where does Tayo tell his family he is going to go?
(a) To Gallup
(b) To the ranch
(c) To the spring cave
(d) To California
6. What is the police’s response to the woman with the reddish hair’s behavior?
(a) They arrest the white men who are harassing the women
(b) Nothing, they are not involved
(c) They take everyone in the arroyo away and tear down the shelters
(d) They arrest the woman
7. What does Floyd Lee call his miles of barbed wire fencing?
(a) Indian bait
(b) Wolf-proof fence
(c) Home moat
(d) Cattle prod
8. What do Robert and Tayo take to Pinkie out at the sheep camp?
(a) Soda pop and comic books
(b) Rented movies
(c) Wool blankets
(d) Pinkie’s girl friend
9. Why does Tayo suddenly tell Rocky he cannot go to the army?
(a) He is in love with an Indian girl in another village
(b) Tayo forgot he had promised Josiah he would always stay to help on the reservation
(c) He cannot pretend to be Rocky’s brother
(d) He cannot produce a birth certificate
10. What does Robert tell Tayo the elders have said when Tayo tells Robert he is ready to help?
(a) The elders do not discuss Tayo with Robert
(b) That Tayo needs to get help
(c) That Tayo is going to be elected to the council
(d) That Tayo must move off the reservation
11. Why does Tayo shake the branches on the tree outside Ts’eh’s house?
(a) To get the snow off so the branches do not break
(b) To get the blanket off a branch
(c) To watch the snow fall
(d) To make a pattern for divination
12. Who goes to church on Sundays with Auntie?
(a) The children
(c) Old Grandma
(d) No one
13. Where do Harley and Tayo pick up a ride after they leave the spring?
(a) Near the edge of the desert barrio
(b) At Harley’s house
(c) On the Acoma Road
(d) Nowhere, they are riding
14. What does Tayo do right before Rocky begins to dress a deer they killed in a hunt?
(a) Pulls up long grass and covers the deer’s head
(b) Walks away
(c) Start crying
(d) Covers the deer’s head with his jacket
15. What is the north side of Gallup called?
(b) The Freezer
(c) The Reservation
(d) Little Africa
Short Answer Questions
1. What is carved on Ts’eh’s silver buckles on her moccasins?
2. What is Tayo's heritage?
3. Why does Josiah send Tayo with a note to Josiah’s mistress?
4. Where does Josiah have the cattle unloaded?
5. Why does the Helen Jean leave the bar?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)