|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Walter Bellamy warn causes soil erosion in Chapter 13?
2. Who do the Wendells arrive at Centennial with?
3. Why does Hans Brumbaugh want to buy land from Levi?
4. How does Seccumbe die?
5. Who stands up for Triunfador and rents him land for one dollar a year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim plan to kill the Pettis boys?
2. What bothers Phillip about his father dying?
3. Why does Hans Brumbaugh decide to start a farm in Chapter 9?
4. How do sugar beets cause problems for the people of Centennial?
5. What happens as soon as the Wendells arrive in Centennial?
6. How does Charlotte stop Clemma from interfering with her marriage to Jim?
7. In Chapter 12, how does Charlotte interfere with Skimmerhorn's career?
8. Why can't Dumire complete his investigation of Soren Sorenson's death?
9. Why does Phillip Wendell not sell his land in Chapter 13?
10. What problems do the dust storms cause in Centennial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Levi's role in founding Centennial. How is Levi representative of new beginnings?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least three characters from this novel. Consider their motivations, their means of reaching goals and their outcomes.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the fulfillment of race roles in this novel. Consider the lives of the characters who are half Native American.
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)