|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Levi call a scientist when he finds a bone?
2. What does Clemma tell Jim after they meet again in Chapter 10?
3. What does Dumire assume about Soren Sorenson when he hears he is missing?
4. In Chapter 10, why do ranchers fight Messmore Garret?
5. What happens to the help farmers bring in from other countries?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim plan to kill the Pettis boys?
2. How does Finlay Perkin threaten to ruin Seccumbe?
3. What happens to Jim after he asks Clemma to marry him?
4. What is the appeal behind dry farming?
5. How does Brumbaugh help Tranquilino in Chapter 12?
6. Why doesn't Finlay Perkin turn Seccumbe in?
7. What happens when farmers buy tracts of land from Levi?
8. How does Mervin try to tease Phillip in Chapter 12?
9. In Chapter 12, how does Charlotte interfere with Skimmerhorn's career?
10. What happens to Clemma in Saint Louis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the development of the United States throughout this novel. How does what happens in Centennial reflect the rest of the country?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the decline of agriculture as it is depicted in this novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast at least three characters from this novel. Consider their motivations, their means of reaching goals and their outcomes.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)