|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tranquilino Marquez say he was forced to work?
2. What causes farming problems in the early 1920s?
3. Where does Brumbaugh find Tranquilino Marquez?
4. What small town is named Wendell after Mervin Wendell's death?
5. What does Cyprian Pasquinel warn Lucinda about in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hans Brumbaugh decide to start a farm in Chapter 9?
2. What problems do the dust storms cause in Centennial?
3. What happens of Soren Sorenson's body?
4. What is the appeal behind dry farming?
5. What happens when Buckford brings his daughter to Colorado for the first time?
6. What happens to Jim after he asks Clemma to marry him?
7. How does Brumbaugh help Tranquilino in Chapter 12?
8. What happens when Levi finds the giant bone in Chapter 9?
9. How do sugar beets cause problems for the people of Centennial?
10. How does Mervin try to tease Phillip in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the role of marriage in developing the characters and plot of this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast two farming methods described in "Centennial." How successful are they? What types of people do they attract? How do they represent this?
Essay Topic 3
What is symbolic about hunting in this novel? What does hunting represent? How are people who hunt described?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)