|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what does Levi think about a peace treaty between the United States and Native Americans?
2. Why is Nate Pearson happy to help on John Skimmerhorn's trip to Texas in Chapter 8?
3. How does Levi's group manage to cross the Platte?
4. What does Levi name his restored trading post?
5. Why is Lucinda described as Saint Louis's most eligible young woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Levi decide to turn around and go back east?
2. What does Skimmerhorn do to Native Americans at the end of Chapter 7?
3. Why does John Skimmerhorn help plan Oliver's trip to Texas?
4. What happens after Pasquinel dies?
5. According to the narrator, what happened to the rattlesnake when man encountered it in the American west?
6. What happens to Pasquinel when he tries to return to Saint Louis?
7. What does Levi do when he finds a group of emigrants heading back east?
8. What does John Skimmerhorn do when he meets up with Lost Eagle's tribe in Chapter 8?
9. What is Pasquinel's relationship with Brockweiss?
10. What happens when Lame Beaver steals horses from an opposing tribe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate the role of marriage in developing the characters and plot of this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Levi's role in founding Centennial. How is Levi representative of new beginnings?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the development of the United States throughout this novel. How does what happens in Centennial reflect the rest of the country?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)