|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Dr. Lewis Vernor a professor?
2. According to the narrator, what were the Cheyenne originally known as?
3. How does Jake Pasquinel die?
4. How old is Mahlon?
5. What solution does Frank Skimmerhorn offer in regard to the Native Americans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Pasquinel is shot with an arrow?
2. What does Oliver Seccumbe propose to Levi in Chapter 8?
3. What does Skimmerhorn do to Native Americans at the end of Chapter 7?
4. What happens after Larkin finds gold?
5. How is Jacques described in Chapter 5?
6. What encounters does John Skimmerhorn's group have with Native Americans in Chapter 8?
7. What happens to the first gun Lame Beaver's tribe ever owns?
8. What is Pasquinel's relationship with Lame Beaver?
9. According to the narrator, what happened to the rattlesnake when man encountered it in the American west?
10. What happens after Pasquinel dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the theme of science and scientific development in "Centennial." What role does science play in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast at least three characters from this novel. Consider their motivations, their means of reaching goals and their outcomes.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the roles of Native Americans to the roles of white people in "Centennial." What is revealed through these roles?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)