|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elly travel west with Levi?
(a) Because she wants to leave the orphanage.
(b) Because he kidnaps her.
(c) Because she doesn't have a job.
(d) Because she is supposed to marry Levi.
2. When does Becky jump into a sleigh with Levi?
(a) When he is delivering meat.
(b) When he is buying supplies.
(c) When he is taking his mother out.
(d) When he is driving home.
3. What do the white men give the Native Americans when they grant them land rights?
(b) Military uniforms.
(c) Building materials.
4. At the end of Chapter 8, what does Jim note about John Skimmerhorn's traveling group?
(a) They get lost too easily.
(b) They all hate each other.
(c) There will be problems.
(d) They work together very well.
5. Why does Levi buy the Conestoga wagon?
(a) As a gift for his brother.
(b) As a promise to his mother to do better.
(c) To start a new life.
(d) To help a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Bufe Coker a poor person to choose horses for the trip to Texas in Chapter 8?
2. Why is Nate Pearson happy to help on John Skimmerhorn's trip to Texas in Chapter 8?
3. How does Elly die?
4. What do the Rude Water tribe do to Pasquinel's boat?
5. How does John Skimmerhorn meet Nacho?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Larkin interested in Lucinda?
2. Why does John Skimmerhorn hire Nacho as a cook?
3. What happens when Pasquinel is shot with an arrow?
4. What happens when Lame Beaver steals horses from an opposing tribe?
5. What is Pasquinel's relationship with Lame Beaver?
6. How does Skimmerhorn respond to the Native American starvation?
7. What happens after Pasquinel dies?
8. According to the narrator, what happened to the rattlesnake when man encountered it in the American west?
9. What happens to Pasquinel when he tries to return to Saint Louis?
10. What happens after Larkin finds gold?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)