|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Seccumbe always show a profit in his work?
(a) He is a great business man.
(b) He lies in his books.
(c) He has a lucky investment.
(d) He lies to other people.
2. Where does Jim find Clemma in Chapter 10?
3. What does Jim Lloyd warn causes soil erosion in Chapter 13?
(b) Breaking up sod.
(c) Not building a well.
(d) Not tilling the land.
4. Why is Seccumbe a little reluctant about marrying Charlotte?
(a) He is interested in someone else.
(b) She is older than he is.
(c) He is older than she is.
(d) She is poor.
5. Why does Tranquilino Marquez leave Mexico?
(a) He is told to shoot a woman.
(b) He wanted to earn more money.
(c) He was following his wife.
(d) He was robbed.
6. Why does Hans Brumbaugh want to buy land from Levi?
(a) To build a house.
(b) To start a farm.
(c) To start a hotel.
(d) To raise cattle.
7. Why are people slaughtering buffalo in Chapter 9?
(a) To take away the Native American food source.
(b) To win a prize.
(c) Because the hunters had new guns.
(d) Because the buffalo were ruining the farms.
8. What does Walter Bellamy warn causes soil erosion in Chapter 13?
(b) Farming in straight lines.
(c) Scorching the land.
(d) Building wells.
9. Where does Mervin put Soren Sorenson's body?
(a) In a well.
(b) Near Levi's land.
(c) In a river.
(d) In a ditch.
10. In Chapter 10, why do ranchers fight Potato Brumbaugh?
(a) For his sheep.
(b) For land use.
(c) For taxes.
(d) For water rights.
11. How long does it take before Soren Sorenson is reported missing?
(a) A month.
(b) One day.
(c) Several days.
(d) A week.
12. Where does Triunfador build a cantina?
(a) An abandoned shack.
(b) A doctor's office.
(c) A silo.
(d) An old farm house.
13. How does Ethan Grebe die?
(a) He starves.
(b) He falls ill.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He freezes to death.
14. How do the farmers react to Walter Bellamy's warning in Chapter 13?
(a) They admire his work.
(b) They follow his advice.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) They ignore him.
15. How does Maude kill Soren Sorenson?
(a) With a fake pistol.
(b) With a brick.
(c) With a gun.
(d) With a sword.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mervin jokingly ask for for his birthday?
2. Where is the scientist from that Levi calls in Chapter 9?
3. What job does Mervin Wendell end up working in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 10, why do ranchers fight Messmore Garret?
5. Who does Dumire request to meet with as he is dying?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)