|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take before Soren Sorenson is reported missing?
(a) A month.
(b) Several days.
(c) One day.
(d) A week.
2. Why does Dumire desire to know where Soren Sorenson's body is, even though he is dying himself?
(a) Because he cared for Soren Sorenson.
(b) Because it is his job to know.
(c) Because he promised he'd find out.
(d) Because he is curious.
3. How does Ethan Grebe die?
(a) He falls ill.
(b) He freezes to death.
(c) He is shot.
(d) He starves.
4. What does Alex Dumire offer the Wendells?
(a) Five hundred dollars.
(b) Relocation costs.
(c) Free rent for a month.
(d) A family of sheep.
5. What does Hans Brumbaugh do to the land he buys from Levi?
(a) He scorches it.
(b) He digs holes in it.
(c) He sells it again.
(d) He irrigates it.
6. Why are people slaughtering buffalo in Chapter 9?
(a) Because the hunters had new guns.
(b) Because the buffalo were ruining the farms.
(c) To win a prize.
(d) To take away the Native American food source.
7. What does Mervin Wendell fall ill from in Chapter 13?
(a) The flu.
(b) Yellow fever.
(d) Small pox.
8. Where does Dumire search after questioning Phillip about Soren Sorenson?
(a) Near the creek.
(b) Next to Levi's land.
(c) In the well.
(d) Behind the house.
9. How does Buckford assume he will be able to run his cattle business?
(a) Like any other farm.
(b) Like a large enterprise.
(c) Like his silk business.
(d) Like a small business.
10. What small town is named Wendell after Mervin Wendell's death?
(a) Line Camp.
(b) Field Grove.
11. Why does Amos Calendar collect bones in Chapter 9?
(a) To sell.
(b) To inspect.
(c) To collect.
(d) To bury.
12. What causes farming problems in the early 1920s?
(c) Dust storms.
13. In Chapter 10, who orders Charlotte to find a new bull for the ranch?
14. Where does Tranquilino Marquez say he was forced to work?
(a) The jail.
(b) The slaughter house.
(c) The mines.
(d) The strawberry farm.
15. What does Mervin jokingly ask for for his birthday?
(a) A happier son.
(b) A prettier wife.
(c) Five hundred dollars.
(d) To know where the body is.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Seccumbe a little reluctant about marrying Charlotte?
2. What does Clemma tell Jim after they meet again in Chapter 10?
3. Who does Seccumbe confide in about his poor bookkeeping skills in Chapter 10?
4. Where does Phillip move Soren Sorenson's body?
5. What does Amos Calendar lead in Chapter 9?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)