|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Phillip move Soren Sorenson's body?
(a) In a haystack.
(b) In a cattle barn.
(c) In a beaver lodge.
(d) In a ditch.
2. When Charlotte goes to England in Chapter 10, what does she learn about the ranch investors?
(a) They left their shares to her.
(b) They were stealing from the ranchers.
(c) They had been lying about their finances.
(d) They sold the ranch.
3. In Chapter 10, why do ranchers fight Messmore Garret?
(a) For his sheep.
(b) For water rights.
(c) For taxes.
(d) For land use.
4. How much bonus money does Charlotte give Skimmerhorn before he starts his new job in Chapter 12?
5. Why does Tranquilino Marquez leave Mexico?
(a) He is told to shoot a woman.
(b) He was following his wife.
(c) He was robbed.
(d) He wanted to earn more money.
6. Where does Brumbaugh find Tranquilino Marquez?
(d) San Francisco.
7. What school does Phillip go away to?
(a) Acting school.
(b) Law school.
(d) Music school.
8. Why does Amos Calender agree to lead a mass slaughter of buffalo in Chapter 9?
(a) Because they offer him a lot of money.
(b) Because he is a talented hunter.
(c) Because he has nothing else to do.
(d) Because Levi insists he does it.
9. Where does Jim find Clemma in Chapter 10?
10. In Chapter 10, who orders Charlotte to find a new bull for the ranch?
11. How do the Wendells prove they have enough money to own the land they do?
(a) They buy expensive clothes.
(b) They work overtime.
(c) They talk about their money loudly.
(d) They share their bank statements.
12. Who is Beely Garret's father?
(a) The first lawer in Centennial.
(b) The first sheep herder in Centennial.
(c) The first cattle rancher in Centennial.
(d) The first doctor in Centennial.
13. Who do the Wendells arrive at Centennial with?
(a) A flock of sheep.
(b) A theater troup.
(c) Police guards.
14. Who does Finlay Perkin threaten to turn Seccumbe into in Chapter 10?
(a) The country sheriff.
(b) English officials.
(c) The IRS.
(d) The owners of the ranch.
15. Why does Messmore Garret's arrival cause such problems in Colorado?
(a) Because he brings sheep with him.
(b) Because he has different religious beliefs.
(c) Because he burns the land.
(d) Because he wants to build houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dumire assume about Soren Sorenson when he hears he is missing?
2. Why doesn't Soren Sorenson give any money to Maude?
3. What small town is named Wendell after Mervin Wendell's death?
4. What causes farming problems in the early 1920s?
5. Why does Jim agree to avenge Coker's death?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)