|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sam Purchas suggest Levi sell his horses?
(a) To raise money for a farm.
(b) To get a good deal.
(c) To buy oxen.
(d) To have money for food.
2. When Lame Beaver goes to steal horses from another tribe, how many people go with him?
3. In Chapter 8, how old is Jim when he joins John Skimmerhorn's group?
4. What does John Skimmerhorn hire J.R. Poteet as for his trip to Texas in Chapter 8?
(a) A nurse.
(b) A laborer.
(c) A cook.
(d) A driver.
5. What does John Skimmerhorn hire Nacho as for his trip to Texas in Chapter 8?
(a) A translator.
(b) A cook.
(c) A guide.
(d) A laborer.
6. What causes Levi to be shunned from the Mennonite community?
(a) He steals his delivery.
(b) He kisses a girl.
(c) He tears Becky's dress.
(d) He tells lies about his family.
7. Why does Elly travel west with Levi?
(a) Because she wants to leave the orphanage.
(b) Because she doesn't have a job.
(c) Because she is supposed to marry Levi.
(d) Because he kidnaps her.
8. Where does Larkin find gold in Chapter 7?
(a) Black Waters.
(b) Blue Valley.
(c) Red Mountain.
(d) Green Hills.
9. What happens when word reaches Levi about the cattle in Chapter 8?
(a) Levi closes his store to celebrate.
(b) Levi yells it to everyone outside.
(c) Riders come to Levi's trading post.
(d) Someone tries to buy the cattle from Levi.
10. Why is Skimmerhorn chastised for his role in United States and Native American relations?
(a) Because he was too harsh.
(b) Because he didn't have permission.
(c) Because he acted without direction.
(d) Because everyone disagreed with him.
11. How does John Skimmerhorn meet Nacho?
(a) He follows the smell of cooking.
(b) He gets lost in the desert.
(c) Nacho saves him from being robbed.
(d) Nacho asks him for dinner.
12. While traveling west, why does Levi realize some families became stranded?
(a) They weren't trying hard enough.
(b) They had broken wagons.
(c) They ran out of supplies.
(d) Their horses died.
13. How does Levi's group manage to cross the Platte?
(a) They carry their supplies on their backs.
(b) They pay someone to help them.
(c) They team up with another wagon.
(d) They leave the oxen behind.
14. What information does Pasquinel believe Clay Basket refuses to tell him?
(a) How to heal people.
(b) Where the money is hidden.
(c) Where the gold is.
(d) Where his children are.
15. What is Skimmerhorn blamed for in Chapter 7?
(a) Forcing Native Americans to surrender.
(b) Loss of American money.
(c) The War of 1863.
(d) Native American massacre.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor spreads in 1851?
2. What does McKeag do to help Clay Basket after Pasquinel's death?
3. How long does it take Pasquinel to get the arrowhead out of his body?
4. How do Jake and Mike test Levi's bravery in Chapter 6?
5. How does McKeag die?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)