|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John Skimmerhorn worry about traveling to Texas in Chapter 8?
(a) He has to go alone.
(b) He has never been there before.
(c) People are afraid to travel there.
(d) The roads are not yet built.
2. How does the press react to Leban Asher's plan to save the Native Americans from starvation?
(a) They overlook it.
(b) They attack it.
(c) They question it.
(d) They praise it.
3. What nationality is Pasquinel?
(b) Native American.
4. What information does Pasquinel believe Clay Basket refuses to tell him?
(a) Where the money is hidden.
(b) Where his children are.
(c) How to heal people.
(d) Where the gold is.
5. In Chapter 3, what animal does the narrator say is able to cripple bison?
(a) A scorpion.
(c) A poisonous bird.
(d) A rattlesnake.
6. What does Pasquinel do when he realizes he can't get the arrow out of his back?
(a) Screams for help.
(b) Cuts the end off.
(c) Continues on.
(d) Takes a nap.
7. Who kills Pasquinel?
(a) A Native American tribe.
(b) Enemies of his wife.
(c) It is unknown.
(d) Fur traders.
8. What does John Skimmerhorn hire Nacho as for his trip to Texas in Chapter 8?
(a) A laborer.
(b) A guide.
(c) A translator.
(d) A cook.
9. In Chapter 3, what animal does the narrator say the bison encountered?
(a) The saber-tooth cat.
(b) The large beaver.
(c) The water buffalo.
(d) The native horse.
10. Why is Nate Pearson happy to help on John Skimmerhorn's trip to Texas in Chapter 8?
(a) He is running away from the law.
(b) He needs the money.
(c) He wants to start over in Texas.
(d) He hates his wife.
11. How does Spade Larkin keep his hopes high for finding gold?
(a) He asks people for clues frequently.
(b) He prays daily.
(c) He keeps a small gold nugget in his pocket.
(d) He carries newspaper clippings with him.
12. What does Frank Skimmerhorn threaten will happen to Native Americans who do not put down their weapons when he commands?
(a) They will be shot.
(b) They will be exiled.
(c) They will be jailed.
(d) They will be tortured.
13. How does Elly die?
(a) She is bitten by a rattlesnake.
(b) She becomes very ill.
(c) She is shot.
(d) She is poisoned.
14. How old is Mahlon?
15. When does Levi have lunch with Becky?
(a) When they are at market.
(b) When their families get together.
(c) When they are on vacation.
(d) When they sneak away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ends Pasquinel's partnership with McKeag?
2. What happens when word reaches Levi about the cattle in Chapter 8?
3. How does Leban Asher plan to save the Native Americans from starvation?
4. Why does Sam Purchas suggest Levi sell his horses?
5. Who takes over McKeag's job as an interpreter?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)