|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Foster write is the discipline that God desires for all of his people?
2. The author warns against what type of celebrations?
3. According to The Discipline of Confession, what are the two sides to confession?
4. What are the two types of deep wrongs, according to Foster?
5. Which type of service helps reduce pride, according to The Discipline of Service?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Foster, what are three examples of celebration?
2. How are celebration, joy, and strength related, according to Foster?
3. Would you rather be the one who guides or the one who is guided? Why?
4. What is Foster's definition of "self-righteous service"?
5. What does the service of sharing the Word of Life include, according to "The Discipline of Service"?
6. What is the difference between sorrow and feeling sorry, based on Christian beliefs?
7. What is the difference between being alone and solitude, according to Foster?
8. Why do you think Foster writes that the community gives a "gift" when they pray together?
9. What is the "group guidance" aspect of guidance, according to Foster?
10. According to "The Discipline of Solitude," what is the relationship between silence and solitude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Summarize the incident in which Jesus' disciples are taught how to pray. Why would Foster include this scene in his book?
Essay Topic 2
Foster indicates that time, place, and posture are all significant to worship. Describe what he says about each term and what role each plays in helping Christians to become more connected with God.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main theme of Foster's book? Identify at least three instances in "Celebration of Discipline" that communicate this theme.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)