|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book, it states that for worship, there is a need for the person to have a strong desire to be what?
2. How many examples does Foster provide of celebration?
3. What must be paired along with guidance, according to Foster?
4. What is the first of the corporate disciplines, according to Foster?
5. According to Christian theologians, what is "the dark night of the soul"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the benefits to worshiping in a group as opposed to worshiping alone, according to "The Discipline of Worship"?
2. What is the difference between being alone and solitude, according to Foster?
3. What does the service of sharing the Word of Life include, according to "The Discipline of Service"?
4. What is the "group guidance" aspect of guidance, according to Foster?
5. According to Christian belief, why is the discipline of submission the least desirable to pursue?
6. Would you rather be the one who guides or the one who is guided? Why?
7. What is your definition of "spiritual direction"?
8. What do you think is an example of a false or empty celebration?
9. What is Foster's definition of "self-righteous service"?
10. What benefits are there of submission, according to Foster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the disciplines of meditation and prayer. How are they different? How are they the same?
Essay Topic 2
How is simplicity explored and conveyed in Foster's work? Why do you think Foster wrote about it in this way?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think is the main theme of Foster's book? Identify at least three instances in "Celebration of Discipline" that communicate this theme.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)