|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the service of listening do, according to Christian belief?
2. According to Foster, what does true service mean?
3. According to Foster, what is the final step to improved obedience through worship?
4. Foster states that what requires surrender of our will?
5. Foster writes that there are how many acts of submission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Foster writes that the community gives a "gift" when they pray together?
2. What are the guidelines Foster offers for receiving a confession?
3. What is the "group guidance" aspect of guidance, according to Foster?
4. Do you think it is easy to make God the object of worship? Why or why not?
5. Why might it be difficult for someone to explain the benefits of being alone, as Foster explains it?
6. How are celebration, joy, and strength related, according to Foster?
7. What does the service of sharing the Word of Life include, according to "The Discipline of Service"?
8. According to Christian belief, why is the discipline of submission the least desirable to pursue?
9. According to "The Discipline of Solitude," what is the relationship between silence and solitude?
10. Foster states that which of the spiritual disciplines is the most abused? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foster indicates that time, place, and posture are all significant to worship. Describe what he says about each term and what role each plays in helping Christians to become more connected with God.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism of the towel Foster uses in his chapter on the discipline of service. What does the towel symbolize? How can it help readers better follow the spiritual discipline of service?
Essay Topic 3
What is the purpose of juxtaposition in literature? Describe one discipline in Foster's book that you think is a good example of a juxtaposition of another discipline. Why do you think Foster may have presented concepts in his book this way?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)