|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Old Testament, the theme is that wealth belongs to whom?
2. According to the author, living the spiritual disciplines brings us closer to God and opens us up for His gift of __________.
3. What time of day should prayer be offered, according to the author?
4. Perception and what are important aspects to study, based on The Discipline of Study?
5. What is the concept behind fasting of Biblical times?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Christian belief, what types of fasts are there? Describe the differences.
2. Based on what Foster writes, how is meditation different from reading the scriptures?
3. How is Newburg Friends Church characterized?
4. When the author says we should pray like children, what does he mean?
5. How does the author describe sin?
6. Is it impossible for adults to succeed in their prayer lives, according to Foster? Why?
7. What must a person do to meditate effectively, according to Christian belief?
8. How is fasting addressed in the Bible?
9. What is Foster's relationship with Ken and Doris Boyce?
10. Christian belief states that the most important prayers must focus on what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Foster include the spiritual discipline of fasting in his book? What is the "right" purpose of fasting as opposed to fasting for other means? Why might fasting be difficult for some people and not as challenging for others?
Essay Topic 2
Jubilee is described as a celebration during biblical times where debts are canceled and slaves are released. It is a celebration of all that God has given. What does this have to do with discipline, according to Foster?
Essay Topic 3
Foster states in his chapter about the discipline of simplicity that the Kingdom of God is what readers should be seeking. What metaphor does he use to describe the Kingdom of God? Do you think this is a helpful tool? Why or why not?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)