|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Foster uses examples of groups from where?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Odyssey.
(c) Modern literature.
2. According to the writings in this book, should a person worship individually or as a group?
(d) It is unclear.
3. According to Foster, what is the final discipline?
4. According to Foster, what is the final step to improved obedience through worship?
(a) Striving for a personal encounter with God everyday.
(b) Being physically present.
(c) Giving thanksgiving.
(d) Willingly giving time to God.
5. What is the goal of the examination of the conscience, as stated by the author?
(a) To deny the things we have done wrong.
(b) To ask God to open our minds.
(c) To get to know ourselves better.
(d) To get rid of our sins.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the call to submission, as stated in The Discipline of Submission?
2. The description of guidance is opening the _____ to respond to God's directions.
3. What does the service of listening do, according to Christian belief?
4. How many examples does Foster provide of celebration?
5. In The Discipline of Solitude, it is mentioned that people will witness what if they practice solitude?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jesus call his disciples to a life of service?
2. What is Foster's definition of "self-righteous service"?
3. What are the guidelines Foster offers for receiving a confession?
4. According to "The Discipline of Solitude," what is the relationship between silence and solitude?
5. Why do you think Foster writes that the community gives a "gift" when they pray together?
6. What is "the dark night of the soul"?
7. What are some guidelines Foster gives for improving obedience through worship?
8. Do you think it is easy to make God the object of worship? Why or why not?
9. What do you think is an example of a false or empty celebration?
10. Would you rather be the one who guides or the one who is guided? Why?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)