|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a precursor to hearing a confession, according to The Discipline of Service?
(a) Being especially sinful yourself.
(b) Having confessed to someone else previously.
(c) Understanding the death of Jesus on the cross.
(d) Being in the middle of coming to Christ.
2. Many people feel that God's will brings what, according to Christian belief?
(a) Pain and suffering.
(c) Joy and peace.
(d) The devil into our lives.
3. Who is ready to lead, according to the author?
(a) Anyone who is in prayer with God.
(c) It is unclear.
(d) The author, Foster.
4. Based on The Discipline of Worship, what is the first step to improved obedience through worship?
(a) Worship in different ways and places.
(c) Rely solely on God.
(d) Striving for a personal encounter with God daily.
5. What can happen when worshiping in a group, according to Christian belief?
(a) The spirit can grow within the group.
(b) Different perspectives become distracting.
(c) Some start to lead.
(d) People start to turn on one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jesus giving the disciples a chance to do?
2. Using words to control becomes what, according to The Discipline of Silence?
3. What is loneliness, according to Foster?
4. According to Foster, what service helps protect people from gossip?
5. What is the goal of the examination of the conscience, as stated by the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Foster's definition of "self-righteous service"?
2. What is the difference between being alone and solitude, according to Foster?
3. What are three of the seven acts of submission, as stated in the book?
4. What is your definition of "spiritual direction"?
5. What is "the dark night of the soul"?
6. What is the "group guidance" aspect of guidance, according to Foster?
7. Do you think it is easy to make God the object of worship? Why or why not?
8. Why do you think Foster writes that the community gives a "gift" when they pray together?
9. What are some guidelines Foster gives for improving obedience through worship?
10. What benefits are there of submission, according to Foster?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)