|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, living the spiritual disciplines brings us closer to God and opens us up for His gift of __________.
2. According to The Discipline of Meditation, a person must overcome what in order to meditate effectively?
(b) Preconceived notions.
(d) The obstacles of the devil.
3. What does the author say people should be careful to prevent from taking over their lives?
4. What sort of simplicity is the author referring to?
(a) Spiritual simplicity.
(b) Our minds.
(c) Monetary spending.
(d) Our social circles.
5. Under what circumstances does Jesus instruct his disciples to fast?
(a) When no one is looking.
(b) At nighttime.
(c) When the time comes for Him to leave them.
(d) When he tells them to do so.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the most important prayers as mentioned in The Discipline of Prayer?
2. How is spiritual study different from academic study?
3. What is the author's goal through this book?
4. What happens when people truly pray, according to Christian belief?
5. According to the author of this book, how can people learn they can trust God to provide them with what they need?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on what Foster writes, how is meditation different from reading the scriptures?
2. How does the author describe sin?
3. Explain the differences between verbal and nonverbal study.
4. Based on Christian belief, how are studying and meditation different?
5. According to "The Discipline of Study," what are the four steps to study?
6. When the author says we should pray like children, what does he mean?
7. What is the difference between spiritual and modern fasting, as described in "The Discipline of Fasting"?
8. Is it impossible for adults to succeed in their prayer lives, according to Foster? Why?
9. Why is inner focus important to the discipline of simplicity, according to Foster?
10. What elements does a person need to consider in order to prepare for meditation, according to "The Discipline of Meditation"?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)