|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Christian theologians, what is "the dark night of the soul"?
(a) A state of meditation.
(b) A catch phrase.
(c) A type of deep breathing.
(d) A period of extreme stillness and solitude.
2. People's lives become void of what as they grow closer to God, according to The Discipline of Celebration?
(a) Stress and worry.
3. According to Foster, when someone holds their words, what can God do?
(a) Work his plan in the situation.
(c) It is unclear.
4. According to Foster, who should be the object of worship?
(c) The person.
5. What can be a freeing experience, according to Foster?
(a) Trusting God.
(b) Reading the Bible.
(c) Letting go.
(d) Defying God.
6. As a person grows deeper in relationship with God, what happens, according to The Discipline of Worship?
(a) They understand more scripture.
(b) They become smarter.
(c) They need more and more time to worship.
(d) Worship becomes more genuine.
7. What are the two types of deep wrongs, according to Foster?
(a) Near and far.
(b) Godly and unGodly.
(c) Sins of the heart and sins of the flesh.
(d) Emotional and physical.
8. According to Foster, what is the final discipline?
9. What is loneliness, according to Foster?
(a) A horrible thing.
(b) A desirable state.
(c) What Jesus experienced.
(d) Inner emptiness.
10. Which discipline offers freedom from the need to always get your way, based on Christian belief?
11. Foster uses examples of groups from where?
(b) The Bible.
(c) The Odyssey.
(d) Modern literature.
12. What does Foster write is the discipline that God desires for all of his people?
13. What must be paired along with guidance, according to Foster?
(a) The Grace of God.
14. God is always willing to receive a person's what, according to Christian belief?
15. According to Foster, what does true service mean?
(a) Helping lots and lots of people in need.
(b) There is no such thing as "true service."
(c) Service without credit or reward.
(d) Authentic service with lots of witnesses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What marked the beginning of Jesus' ministry, according to The Discipline of Celebration?
2. According to the author, what keeps a person from confession?
3. What is the first of the corporate disciplines, according to Foster?
4. How does Foster think many people feel when they are silent?
5. According to Christian belief, what does living a life of submission mean?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)