|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the four steps to study, according to Foster?
(a) Repetition, condensation, rehearsal, refraining.
(b) Repetition, concentration, comprehension, reflection.
(c) First, second, third, fourth.
(d) Start, repeat, endure, finish.
2. What did Doris Boyce help the author do?
(b) Type manuscripts.
(c) Clean his home.
3. What discipline makes change occur, according to the author?
(a) None of them.
(c) All of them.
4. What is the final step of study, based on Christian belief?
5. Why does the author say most people are afraid of meditation?
(a) Because they have visions.
(b) Because they meet with God with no go-between.
(c) It has a stigma.
(d) It might make them believe in another religion.
6. Foster says that true prayer requires what of us?
(b) To let go of our own will.
(c) Love for God.
7. According to Foster, how does study benefit meditation?
(a) They are unrelated.
(b) Meditation makes studying look easy.
(c) Study helps the person get into a peaceful frame of mind.
(d) It makes the environment more conducive for meditation.
8. Who is the religion publisher?
(a) Doris Boyce.
(b) Clayton Carlson.
(c) Richard Foster.
(d) Bill Cathers.
9. The author thinks that what sort of environment is good for meditation?
(a) A dark space.
(b) The outdoors.
(d) One that is quiet and peaceful.
10. How common was fasting in Biblical times?
(a) Very common.
(b) It is unclear.
(c) It never happened.
11. Foster writes that Eastern meditation hopes to do what to the mind?
(a) Transform it.
(b) Empty it.
(c) Get rid of it.
(d) Fill it up with knowledge.
12. Christian belief states that something can change how a person thinks and imagines. What is it that changes how a person thinks and imagines?
(a) God's grace.
(b) A person's hard work.
(c) Lots of studying.
(d) How much television someone watches.
13. Does the author state that prayer needs to be a complicated process?
(a) It is unclear.
14. What company published this book?
(b) Wordsmith Press.
(c) Random House.
(d) Harper & Row.
15. In The Door to Liberations, how are ingrained habits conquered?
(b) Legalistic discipline.
(c) God's grace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an example of verbal study?
2. What sort of simplicity is the author referring to?
3. What happens when people truly pray, according to Christian belief?
4. What are the most important prayers as mentioned in The Discipline of Prayer?
5. According to Christian belief, what three things does a person need to consider before meeting with God in meditation?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)