|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why should we buy things, according to the author?
(a) Because we need things.
(c) Because we really want things.
2. Foster says that true prayer requires what of us?
(b) Love for God.
(d) To let go of our own will.
3. What does the author say people should be careful to prevent from taking over their lives?
4. According to The Discipline of Study, what becomes well-trained through repetition?
(a) The body.
(b) The spirit.
(c) The heart.
(d) The inner mind.
5. What does the author say makes it difficult for a person to explore the spiritual life?
(a) The physical world.
(d) Unanswered prayers.
6. Who of the following was an influence on the author's writing?
(a) Pope John Paul II.
(b) St. Francis of Assisi.
(c) His son.
(d) His mother.
7. How many spiritual disciplines does the author say there are?
8. From the start, fasting needs to be what, according to Foster?
(b) God-centered and God-initiated.
(c) Quick and easy.
(d) In order to help those less fortunate.
9. What did Doris Boyce help the author do?
(a) Clean his home.
(b) Type manuscripts.
10. Which of the following is the former missionary who prays over the author to have the hands of a writer?
(a) Doris Boyce.
(b) Paul Newburg.
(c) Clayton Carlson.
(d) Bill Cathers.
11. As stated by the author, how can true prayer take place?
(a) At the right place and time.
(b) At any church, at any time.
(c) It cannot.
(d) It needs to become a way of life, not just an afterthought.
12. What does the author say is NOT a requirement to understand the disciplines?
(a) Trust in God.
(b) Theoretical knowledge.
(c) Close friends.
(d) A Bible.
13. How many categories of spiritual disciplines are there?
14. How many principles does the author give to living a simpler life?
15. What company published this book?
(b) Random House.
(c) Wordsmith Press.
(d) Harper & Row.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the author state that prayer needs to be a complicated process?
2. Who is the religion publisher?
3. What is the author's relationship with Ken and Doris Boyce?
4. What sort of simplicity is the author referring to?
5. How is spiritual study different from academic study?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)