|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Timothy recovers from his illness, what doesn't he recall doing?
2. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
3. In Chapter 12, when Timothy stumbles out of the hut while ill, where does Phillip find him?
4. When Phillip discovers Timothy is dead, who or what comes to him?
5. What is a langosta?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be his main danger as he makes his way along the poles planted in the reef to the fishing hole?
2. When Timothy confesses to Phillip that he thinks they are in the Devil's Mouth, why does he tell Phillip that he still believes they will be rescued, even though it will be difficult for ships to come near the island?
3. Where does Timothy take Phillip to teach him to fish?
4. What stops Phillip's sobbing when Timothy first leaves him to get langosta?
5. In Chapter 9, why does Timothy and Phillip tear vines down from the north end of the island?
6. Why is Phillip angry the first time Timothy goes to find langosta for their dinner?
7. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
8. When Timothy contracts malaria, why isn't Phillip able to stop him from leaving the campsite and going to the beach?
9. In Chapter 12, what are the symptoms Timothy exhibits when he tells Phillip he has malaria?
10. After Timothy's fever breaks and he is able to return to the campsite, what two observations about Timothy does Phillip make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a coming of age novel? How does The Cay fit into this genre? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Many of the characters in The Cay show great determination to achieve what they want. Name three characters who show determination. What are they determined to do? How do they achieve their goals?
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of symbolism in The Cay. Name five of these symbols and discuss what each of them represents. Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)