|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
2. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
3. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
4. In Chapter 13, upon first arriving at the fishing hole, what does Timothy have Phillip do?
5. As the tempest blows, why does Timothy have Phillip lie flat on the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 14, how do Timothy and Phillip know a tempest is on the way?
2. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be his main danger as he makes his way along the poles planted in the reef to the fishing hole?
3. When Phillip tells Timothy that his mother doesn't like black people and asks Timothy why, what is Timothy's response?
4. Why does Timothy decide to teach Phillip how to fish?
5. What does the hut Timothy builds on the island look like?
6. Where does Timothy take Phillip to teach him to fish?
7. What is a langosta?
8. Why is Phillip angry the first time Timothy goes to find langosta for their dinner?
9. Why does Timothy plan to keep a constant small fire burning at their campsite?
10. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phillip's relationship with Grace has a great impact on his life and the way he approaches the world. Describe their relationship. What characteristics of Grace do you also see in Phillip? How do these characteristics define Phillip's personality and the way he goes about his life?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is an important theme in The Cay. Who are Phillip's friends? Does he have different friends at different times throughout the book? What needs do Phillips friends meet for him? Do his friendships change during the course of the novel? If so, how? Does his view of friendship change?
Essay Topic 3
There are several instances of racism in The Cay. Name three different characters or groups of people who display racism. Who are they? Whom do they dislike? What do they do or say?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)