|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
3. Why do Timothy and Phillip lose consciousness during the tempest?
4. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
5. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip believe about Timothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops Phillip's sobbing when Timothy first leaves him to get langosta?
2. As Timothy and Phillip wait for the tempest to hit the cay, Phillip feels slithering around his ankles. What causes this feeling?
3. When Phillip tells Timothy that his mother doesn't like black people and asks Timothy why, what is Timothy's response?
4. In Chapter 12, what are the symptoms Timothy exhibits when he tells Phillip he has malaria?
5. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
6. Why does Timothy plan to keep a constant small fire burning at their campsite?
7. In Chapter 13, after Phillip learns to fish, what evidence is there that Phillip is growing more confident?
8. After Timothy's fever breaks and he is able to return to the campsite, what two observations about Timothy does Phillip make?
9. In Chapter 11, why does Phillip become nervous about Stew Cat's safety in Timothy's company?
10. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back from him as he tells Phillip about the island they are on and their prospects of being rescued?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term "protagonist." How does Phillip fit the definition of a protagonist? What characteristics of a protagonist does he have? Is Timothy also a protagonist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is an important theme in The Cay. Who are Phillip's friends? Does he have different friends at different times throughout the book? What needs do Phillips friends meet for him? Do his friendships change during the course of the novel? If so, how? Does his view of friendship change?
Essay Topic 3
Timothy helps Phillip grow into a confident, independent young man during their time together on the cay. How does Phillip's increased confidence change his relationship with Timothy?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)