|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, when Timothy and Phillip are on the raft, where does Timothy believe they are?
2. According to Phillip's father, why can't the islanders fight the Germans?
3. On what date do the Chinese crews agree to sail again?
4. Upon discovering he is blind, who does Phillip call for?
5. What does Timothy use to make the lean-to on the raft?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Grace say she doesn't like living in Curacao?
2. At noon on Phillip's and Timothy's third day on the raft, what does Timothy do for Phillip as a plane passes overhead?
3. In Chapter 5, what does Phillip think he is glad he got to see before going blind?
4. In Chapter 2, what actions do Phillip and Grace take to stay safe from the Germans?
5. Why does Phillip accuse Timothy of being stingy when they are on the raft?
6. Why does Timothy order Phillip to crawl around the raft, not walk?
7. When the S.S. Empire Tern is sunk, what does Philip realize about the crew that was on board?
8. At the beginning of the book, what do Phillip and Henrik find when they visit the harbor against their mothers' wishes?
9. In Chapter 2, why does the refinery shut down?
10. What is unusual about Grace's reaction when the S.S. Hato is torpedoed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phillip's relationship with Grace has a great impact on his life and the way he approaches the world. Describe their relationship. What characteristics of Grace do you also see in Phillip? How do these characteristics define Phillip's personality and the way he goes about his life?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is an important theme in The Cay. Who are Phillip's friends? Does he have different friends at different times throughout the book? What needs do Phillips friends meet for him? Do his friendships change during the course of the novel? If so, how? Does his view of friendship change?
Essay Topic 3
When Phillip and Timothy first meet, they are two very different people. Do you think this changes as the story progresses? Do Timothy and Phillip grow more alike? Why or why not? If so, which of the characters change and how does he change?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)