|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Phillip's family lived on the island as the book begins?
2. What is the name of the bridge that gives Phillip and Henrik a view of the harbor?
3. How does Phillip's father feel about the prospect of the supply ships sailing again?
4. After the incident with the Tern, what doesn't Phillip find exciting anymore?
5. What ship do Phillip and his mother board to leave the island?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Phillip want to leave Curacao with his mother?
2. Why is the S.S. Hato sailing to Panama before going to Miami?
3. At the beginning of the book, what do Phillip and Henrik find when they visit the harbor against their mothers' wishes?
4. Why did Phillip's family move to Curacao?
5. What is unusual about Grace's reaction when the S.S. Hato is torpedoed?
6. Who are the occupants of the raft Phillip wakes up on after the S.S. Hato sinks?
7. In Chapter 6, what happens that causes Phillip to fall off the raft into the water?
8. Why does Timothy warn Phillip not to dangle his hands over the side of the raft into the water?
9. Why does Timothy order Phillip to crawl around the raft, not walk?
10. When Phillip realizes he is blind, what story does Timothy tell him to attempt to soothe him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several instances of racism in The Cay. Name three different characters or groups of people who display racism. Who are they? Whom do they dislike? What do they do or say?
Essay Topic 2
What is an antagonist? Who or what is the antagonist of The Cay? Is there more than one antagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Phillip's opinion of Timothy changes a great deal from the time he first meets Timothy to the end of the novel. Describe Phillip's initial opinion of Timothy and how it changes over time. Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)