|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Phillip into his life jacket when their boat is sinking?
2. What is the last name of Phillip's friend, Henrik?
3. In Chapter 5, whom does Timothy say is bad luck?
4. While on the raft, how do Phillip and Timothy get fish to eat?
5. Why does the army officer tell Phillip and Henrik to leave the bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Phillip, Sr. say that Grace and Phillip should not leave Curacao?
2. Why does Grace say she doesn't like living in Curacao?
3. In Chapter 2, what actions do Phillip and Grace take to stay safe from the Germans?
4. In Chapter 5, what does Phillip think he is glad he got to see before going blind?
5. When the S.S. Empire Tern is sunk, what does Philip realize about the crew that was on board?
6. Why doesn't Phillip want to leave Curacao with his mother?
7. In Chapter 2, why does the refinery shut down?
8. Why does Timothy warn Phillip not to dangle his hands over the side of the raft into the water?
9. Who are the occupants of the raft Phillip wakes up on after the S.S. Hato sinks?
10. During their conversation about the war, why does Henrik seem to Phillip to be so knowledgeable about the goings on of the military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is an important theme in The Cay. Who are Phillip's friends? Does he have different friends at different times throughout the book? What needs do Phillips friends meet for him? Do his friendships change during the course of the novel? If so, how? Does his view of friendship change?
Essay Topic 2
Phillip's opinion of Timothy changes a great deal from the time he first meets Timothy to the end of the novel. Describe Phillip's initial opinion of Timothy and how it changes over time. Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
What does Timothy's leaning on Phillip after his illness signify? What events lead to this change? Why is this an important turning point in the story?Did Phillip become independent because Timothy died? Or, did Timothy die because Phillip had become independent? Provide evidence from the book to support your argument.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)