|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Off of what country's coast is the island Phillip and his parents live on at the beginning of the book?
2. In Chapter 3, how much water does Timothy give Phillip when he first asks for it?
3. Who shows Phillip around the Tern?
4. What happens to the Tern as it sets sail?
5. What is the last name of Phillip's friend, Henrik?
Short Essay Questions
1. At noon on Phillip's and Timothy's third day on the raft, what does Timothy do for Phillip as a plane passes overhead?
2. During their conversation about the war, why does Henrik seem to Phillip to be so knowledgeable about the goings on of the military?
3. In Chapter 2, why does the refinery shut down?
4. Why does Phillip, Sr. say that Grace and Phillip should not leave Curacao?
5. As the novel opens, why is young Phillip excited?
6. What information does Timothy provide Phillip about himself when Phillip asks where Timothy comes from?
7. What activity do Phillip and Henrik often engage in when they visit the harbor?
8. Who are the occupants of the raft Phillip wakes up on after the S.S. Hato sinks?
9. Why doesn't Phillip want to leave Curacao with his mother?
10. When the S.S. Empire Tern is sunk, what does Philip realize about the crew that was on board?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Phillip change from an innocent to a more worldly character during the course of the novel? What events lead to the change? Does he maintain any of his innocence? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What does Timothy's leaning on Phillip after his illness signify? What events lead to this change? Why is this an important turning point in the story?Did Phillip become independent because Timothy died? Or, did Timothy die because Phillip had become independent? Provide evidence from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of symbolism in The Cay. Name five of these symbols and discuss what each of them represents. Use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)