|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of ship do the Chinese crewman refuse to sail on?
2. Who shows Phillip around the Tern?
3. What is Phillip's father doing as Phillip and his mom leave the island?
4. Who is Grace?
5. What happens to Phillip when Timothy spots land?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what happens that causes Phillip to fall off the raft into the water?
2. Why does Phillip, Sr. say that Grace and Phillip should not leave Curacao?
3. Why does Phillip accuse Timothy of being stingy when they are on the raft?
4. At noon on Phillip's and Timothy's third day on the raft, what does Timothy do for Phillip as a plane passes overhead?
5. Why doesn't Phillip want to leave Curacao with his mother?
6. In Chapter 2, why does the refinery shut down?
7. What is unusual about Grace's reaction when the S.S. Hato is torpedoed?
8. In Chapter 5, what does Phillip think he is glad he got to see before going blind?
9. Why does Timothy order Phillip to crawl around the raft, not walk?
10. What activity do Phillip and Henrik often engage in when they visit the harbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Timothy helps Phillip grow into a confident, independent young man during their time together on the cay. How does Phillip's increased confidence change his relationship with Timothy?
Essay Topic 2
What does Timothy's leaning on Phillip after his illness signify? What events lead to this change? Why is this an important turning point in the story?Did Phillip become independent because Timothy died? Or, did Timothy die because Phillip had become independent? Provide evidence from the book to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Phillip's relationship with Grace has a great impact on his life and the way he approaches the world. Describe their relationship. What characteristics of Grace do you also see in Phillip? How do these characteristics define Phillip's personality and the way he goes about his life?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)