|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Timothy tell Phillip is missing from the cay?
2. In Chapter 3, why does Phillip vomit over the side of the raft?
3. Who helps Phillip into his life jacket when their boat is sinking?
4. What color is the beach on the cay?
5. Upon discovering he is blind, who does Phillip call for?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the first night Timothy and Phillip are on the raft, what does Phillip think about as he lays looking at the stars?
2. At the beginning of the book, what do Phillip and Henrik find when they visit the harbor against their mothers' wishes?
3. Why is the S.S. Hato sailing to Panama before going to Miami?
4. Why did Phillip's family move to Curacao?
5. In Chapter 6, what happens that causes Phillip to fall off the raft into the water?
6. When Phillip realizes he is blind, what story does Timothy tell him to attempt to soothe him?
7. As the novel opens, why is young Phillip excited?
8. Why does Grace say she doesn't like living in Curacao?
9. Why doesn't Phillip want to leave Curacao with his mother?
10. When the S.S. Empire Tern is sunk, what does Philip realize about the crew that was on board?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term "protagonist." How does Phillip fit the definition of a protagonist? What characteristics of a protagonist does he have? Is Timothy also a protagonist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What point of view is The Cay told from? Why do you think the author chose this point of view? Would another point of view have been as effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What is a coming of age novel? How does The Cay fit into this genre? Use specific examples.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)