|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Timothy use to make sinkers?
(a) Rusty bolts.
(c) Pieces of wood.
2. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
(a) A stone path.
(b) A rope.
(c) A fence.
3. What does Phillip learn to feel the direction of so he will know where to fish?
(a) The sun.
(b) The movement of the fish.
(c) The water.
(d) The wind.
4. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back?
(a) Timothy is too cheerful.
(b) He can hear Timothy fidgeting.
(c) The tone of Timothy's voice.
(d) Timothy won't speak to him.
5. In Chapter 7, when Timothy tells Phillip he isn't sure where they are, what does Phillip think of Timothy?
(a) He has poor eyesight.
(b) He must have gone crazy.
(c) He is very intelligent.
(d) He must be a stupid black man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
2. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
3. In Chapter 10, who doesn't like the rain?
4. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
5. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be his main danger as he makes his way along the poles planted in the reef to the fishing hole?
2. Why does Timothy plan to keep a constant small fire burning at their campsite?
3. In Chapter 13, after Phillip learns to fish, what evidence is there that Phillip is growing more confident?
4. What does Timothy tell Phillip to try to convince him that, despite his blindness, Phillip will be able to weave a sleeping mat?
5. Where does Timothy take Phillip to teach him to fish?
6. As Timothy and Phillip wait for the tempest to hit the cay, Phillip feels slithering around his ankles. What causes this feeling?
7. In Chapter 11, why does Phillip become nervous about Stew Cat's safety in Timothy's company?
8. In Chapter 9, why does Timothy and Phillip tear vines down from the north end of the island?
9. What stops Phillip's sobbing when Timothy first leaves him to get langosta?
10. What is the Devil's Mouth?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)