|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) The waters are shark-infested.
(b) It is enemy territory.
(c) There is nothing there to see.
(d) There are dangerous reefs there.
2. When Timothy first goes to explore the island, why does Phillip panic?
(a) He hears something growling.
(b) He is left alone on the beach.
(c) He is bitten by something.
(d) He is sure Timothy will kill him.
3. What does Timothy use to make sinkers?
(c) Pieces of wood.
(d) Rusty bolts.
4. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy put on top of the hut?
(a) A sun roof.
(c) A lightning rod.
(d) A carving of a cat.
5. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Dried palm fronds.
(b) Wood from the raft.
(c) Wood cut from the palm trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
2. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
3. How many feet out on the reef is the fishing hole?
4. In Chapter 11, what does Phillip realize Timothy is trying to make him?
5. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy insist Phillip help him make?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the hut is blown away in the tempest, what does Timothy do to protect Phillip from the storm?
2. In Chapter 9, why does Timothy and Phillip tear vines down from the north end of the island?
3. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be his main danger as he makes his way along the poles planted in the reef to the fishing hole?
4. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
5. In Chapter 11, why does Phillip become nervous about Stew Cat's safety in Timothy's company?
6. In Chapter 13, after Phillip learns to fish, what evidence is there that Phillip is growing more confident?
7. Why is Phillip angry the first time Timothy goes to find langosta for their dinner?
8. When Timothy confesses to Phillip that he thinks they are in the Devil's Mouth, why does he tell Phillip that he still believes they will be rescued, even though it will be difficult for ships to come near the island?
9. What does Timothy tell Phillip to try to convince him that, despite his blindness, Phillip will be able to weave a sleeping mat?
10. When Phillip tells Timothy that his mother doesn't like black people and asks Timothy why, what is Timothy's response?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)