|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who doesn't like the rain?
(b) The langosta.
2. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
(a) The food is about to spoil.
(b) They need to use up the food they have stored.
(c) They are very hungry from preparing for the storm.
(d) The fish may not return for a week.
3. What is a langosta?
(a) A large fish.
(b) An octopus.
(c) A clawless lobster.
(d) A type of shark.
4. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(a) The raft.
(d) The signal fire pile.
5. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
(a) 6 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(b) 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.
(c) 10 feet wide and 20 feet long.
(d) 8 feet wide and 8 feet long.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
2. Why doesn't Timothy want Phillip to go to the reef with him at first?
3. What does Phillip feel slithering around his feet as the tempest begins to hit?
4. When Timothy recovers from his illness, what doesn't he recall doing?
5. In Chapter 7, when Timothy tells Phillip he isn't sure where they are, what does Phillip think of Timothy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a langosta?
2. When Timothy confesses to Phillip that he thinks they are in the Devil's Mouth, why does he tell Phillip that he still believes they will be rescued, even though it will be difficult for ships to come near the island?
3. How do Phillip and Timothy mark the passing of time on the island?
4. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back from him as he tells Phillip about the island they are on and their prospects of being rescued?
5. When Timothy contracts malaria, why isn't Phillip able to stop him from leaving the campsite and going to the beach?
6. In Chapter 13, after Phillip learns to fish, what evidence is there that Phillip is growing more confident?
7. What is the Devil's Mouth?
8. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be his main danger as he makes his way along the poles planted in the reef to the fishing hole?
9. When Phillip tells Timothy that his mother doesn't like black people and asks Timothy why, what is Timothy's response?
10. In Chapter 11, why does Phillip become nervous about Stew Cat's safety in Timothy's company?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)