|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 7, when Timothy tells Phillip he isn't sure where they are, what does Phillip think of Timothy?
(a) He must be a stupid black man.
(b) He is very intelligent.
(c) He has poor eyesight.
(d) He must have gone crazy.
2. How does Timothy know that a tempest is on the way?
(a) There are no fish in the fishing hole.
(b) It gets very cold.
(c) The waves make a cracking noise.
(d) The birds leave the island.
3. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(b) Looking for ships.
(c) Cutting fire wood.
4. What did Timothy keep off the island while he chased away the jumbi?
5. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
(a) Strings from their clothing.
(b) A vine.
(c) His own hair.
(d) Strands of a life line.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many feet out on the reef is the fishing hole?
2. How long are Phillip and Timothy on the island before it rains for the first time?
3. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
4. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
5. What is a langosta?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Timothy contracts malaria, why isn't Phillip able to stop him from leaving the campsite and going to the beach?
2. After the hut is blown away in the tempest, what does Timothy do to protect Phillip from the storm?
3. In Chapter 14, how do Timothy and Phillip know a tempest is on the way?
4. In Chapter 11, why does Phillip become nervous about Stew Cat's safety in Timothy's company?
5. Why does Timothy decide to teach Phillip how to fish?
6. What does Timothy tell Phillip to try to convince him that, despite his blindness, Phillip will be able to weave a sleeping mat?
7. In Chapter 9, why does Timothy and Phillip tear vines down from the north end of the island?
8. What is a langosta?
9. When Timothy confesses to Phillip that he thinks they are in the Devil's Mouth, why does he tell Phillip that he still believes they will be rescued, even though it will be difficult for ships to come near the island?
10. After Timothy's fever breaks and he is able to return to the campsite, what two observations about Timothy does Phillip make?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)