|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
(a) Over 50.
(b) Over 70.
2. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
(a) Timothy cries.
(b) Timothy slaps Phillip.
(c) Timothy leaves the campsite in a huff.
(d) Timothy agrees.
3. What does Phillip note about Timothy following his illness?
(a) He never fully regains his strength.
(b) He is fearful.
(c) He is stronger than ever.
(d) His personality changes.
4. How does Timothy suggest they can get more drinking water?
(a) They can collect rainwater.
(b) They can crack open coconuts.
(c) They cannot get more drinking water.
(d) They can filter the sea water.
5. In Chapter 15, why are Phillip and Timothy naked?
(a) Their clothes have become too dirty to wear.
(b) They've decided clothes aren't necessary.
(c) The storm took their clothes.
(d) They are hot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phillip feel slithering around his feet as the tempest begins to hit?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
3. When does the rain begin to fall, signaling the beginning of the tempest?
4. How does Phillip know when it is late May?
5. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Timothy take Phillip to teach him to fish?
2. As Timothy and Phillip wait for the tempest to hit the cay, Phillip feels slithering around his ankles. What causes this feeling?
3. What is a langosta?
4. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
5. Why does Timothy decide to teach Phillip how to fish?
6. After the hut is blown away in the tempest, what does Timothy do to protect Phillip from the storm?
7. Why does Timothy plan to keep a constant small fire burning at their campsite?
8. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back from him as he tells Phillip about the island they are on and their prospects of being rescued?
9. When Timothy confesses to Phillip that he thinks they are in the Devil's Mouth, why does he tell Phillip that he still believes they will be rescued, even though it will be difficult for ships to come near the island?
10. After Timothy's fever breaks and he is able to return to the campsite, what two observations about Timothy does Phillip make?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)