|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
(a) Phillip is too weak.
(b) Phillip is blind.
(c) Work is for adults.
(d) Phillip doesn't want to.
2. What does Phillip note about Timothy following his illness?
(a) He is fearful.
(b) He never fully regains his strength.
(c) His personality changes.
(d) He is stronger than ever.
3. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(b) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
(c) Guide ropes that circle the island.
(d) A cane.
4. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip believe about Timothy?
(a) He has gone crazy.
(b) He has given up hope of rescue.
(c) He is older than he says he is.
(d) He is the smartest man Phillip knows.
5. When Phillip discovers Timothy is dead, who or what comes to him?
(a) An airplane.
(c) The lizards.
(d) American sailors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Timothy agree to stop calling Phillip, and call him his real name instead?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
3. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
4. In Chapter 8, what does Phillip believe has become of his mother?
5. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back from him as he tells Phillip about the island they are on and their prospects of being rescued?
2. In Chapter 13, after Phillip learns to fish, what evidence is there that Phillip is growing more confident?
3. In Chapter 9, why does Timothy and Phillip tear vines down from the north end of the island?
4. When Timothy confesses to Phillip that he thinks they are in the Devil's Mouth, why does he tell Phillip that he still believes they will be rescued, even though it will be difficult for ships to come near the island?
5. As Timothy and Phillip wait for the tempest to hit the cay, Phillip feels slithering around his ankles. What causes this feeling?
6. Why does Timothy decide to teach Phillip how to fish?
7. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
8. What is a langosta?
9. Why is Phillip angry the first time Timothy goes to find langosta for their dinner?
10. What does the hut Timothy builds on the island look like?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)