|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Dried palm fronds.
(b) Wood from the raft.
(d) Wood cut from the palm trees.
2. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
(b) A stone path.
(c) A rope.
(d) A fence.
3. What does Phillip learn to feel the direction of so he will know where to fish?
(a) The movement of the fish.
(b) The wind.
(c) The sun.
(d) The water.
4. In Chapter E11, what does Timothy bring to Phillip and place in his lap?
(a) A fishing pole.
5. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(b) Guide ropes that circle the island.
(c) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
(d) A cane.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, whom does Phillip tell Timothy his mother does not like?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Phillip believe has become of his mother?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
4. What is a jumbi?
5. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a langosta?
2. When Timothy confesses to Phillip that he thinks they are in the Devil's Mouth, why does he tell Phillip that he still believes they will be rescued, even though it will be difficult for ships to come near the island?
3. In Chapter 14, how do Timothy and Phillip know a tempest is on the way?
4. What stops Phillip's sobbing when Timothy first leaves him to get langosta?
5. As Timothy and Phillip wait for the tempest to hit the cay, Phillip feels slithering around his ankles. What causes this feeling?
6. Where does Timothy take Phillip to teach him to fish?
7. After Timothy's fever breaks and he is able to return to the campsite, what two observations about Timothy does Phillip make?
8. How do Phillip and Timothy mark the passing of time on the island?
9. What is the Devil's Mouth?
10. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back from him as he tells Phillip about the island they are on and their prospects of being rescued?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)