|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy insist Phillip help him make?
(a) Phillip's sleeping mat.
(b) A water collection system.
(c) A new raft.
(d) The hut.
2. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
(a) Over 70.
(d) Over 50.
3. In Chapter 8, after going to get langosta, why does Timothy groan?
(a) He is in pain.
(b) Phillip has fallen and hurt himself.
(c) He didn't get any langosta.
(d) The hut has fallen down.
4. At the end of Chapter 11, what is Timothy sure will change?
(a) Phillip's attitude.
(b) The weather.
(c) The number of fish around the island.
(d) Their luck.
5. Why doesn't Timothy want Phillip to go to the reef with him at first?
(a) He doesn't want to share the fish.
(b) He thinks there are people there.
(c) It is too dangerous.
(d) He is hiding treasure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phillip note about Timothy following his illness?
2. Why does Timothy think people have different colors of skin?
3. What does Timothy use to make sinkers?
4. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back?
5. When Timothy first goes to explore the island, why does Phillip panic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
2. In Chapter 11, why does Phillip become nervous about Stew Cat's safety in Timothy's company?
3. After the hut is blown away in the tempest, what does Timothy do to protect Phillip from the storm?
4. In Chapter 12, what are the symptoms Timothy exhibits when he tells Phillip he has malaria?
5. What is the Devil's Mouth?
6. When Phillip tells Timothy that his mother doesn't like black people and asks Timothy why, what is Timothy's response?
7. What does Timothy tell Phillip to try to convince him that, despite his blindness, Phillip will be able to weave a sleeping mat?
8. How do Phillip and Timothy mark the passing of time on the island?
9. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back from him as he tells Phillip about the island they are on and their prospects of being rescued?
10. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be his main danger as he makes his way along the poles planted in the reef to the fishing hole?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)