|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(a) Looking for ships.
(b) Cutting fire wood.
2. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) There is nothing there to see.
(b) The waters are shark-infested.
(c) There are dangerous reefs there.
(d) It is enemy territory.
3. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
(a) He may get lost.
(b) The path is steep.
(c) The risk of falling.
(d) Stepping on sea urchins.
4. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(a) The raft.
(d) The signal fire pile.
5. How does Phillip know when it is late May?
(a) There are 48 notches on the tree.
(b) There are 48 pebbles in the can.
(c) He does not know.
(d) There are 48 rocks lined up on the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
2. How do Timothy and Phillip get coconuts in Chapter 13?
3. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
4. What shape does Timothy say the island is?
5. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops Phillip's sobbing when Timothy first leaves him to get langosta?
2. After the hut is blown away in the tempest, what does Timothy do to protect Phillip from the storm?
3. What is a langosta?
4. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
5. What does the hut Timothy builds on the island look like?
6. Why is Phillip angry the first time Timothy goes to find langosta for their dinner?
7. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be his main danger as he makes his way along the poles planted in the reef to the fishing hole?
8. When Timothy contracts malaria, why isn't Phillip able to stop him from leaving the campsite and going to the beach?
9. Where does Timothy take Phillip to teach him to fish?
10. In Chapter 12, what are the symptoms Timothy exhibits when he tells Phillip he has malaria?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)