|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
(a) 8 feet deep.
(b) 20 feet deep.
(c) 50 feet deep.
(d) 4 feet deep.
2. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(a) Looking for ships.
(c) Cutting fire wood.
3. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) There is nothing there to see.
(b) It is enemy territory.
(c) There are dangerous reefs there.
(d) The waters are shark-infested.
4. In Chapter 13, what causes Phillip to almost fall into the fishing hole?
(a) Pulling on a stubborn mussel.
(b) He jumps up and down when Timothy catches a fish.
(c) He slips on a rock.
(d) He steps on a sea urchin.
5. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Dried palm fronds.
(b) Wood cut from the palm trees.
(c) Wood from the raft.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
2. When Timothy first goes to explore the island, why does Phillip panic?
3. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy put on top of the hut?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip believe about Timothy?
5. How long are Phillip and Timothy on the island before it rains for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Phillip tells Timothy that his mother doesn't like black people and asks Timothy why, what is Timothy's response?
2. After Timothy's fever breaks and he is able to return to the campsite, what two observations about Timothy does Phillip make?
3. What are three steps Timothy and Phillip take to prepare themselves for the tempest?
4. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back from him as he tells Phillip about the island they are on and their prospects of being rescued?
5. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be his main danger as he makes his way along the poles planted in the reef to the fishing hole?
6. What is a langosta?
7. Where does Timothy take Phillip to teach him to fish?
8. As Timothy and Phillip wait for the tempest to hit the cay, Phillip feels slithering around his ankles. What causes this feeling?
9. In Chapter 11, why does Phillip become nervous about Stew Cat's safety in Timothy's company?
10. What is the Devil's Mouth?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)