|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, when Phillip wakes up in the dark after feeling ill, what time does Timothy tell him it is?
(a) 10 a.m.
(d) 3 p.m.
2. Who does Timothy say raised him?
(a) Olivia Washington.
(b) Grace Enright.
(c) His parents.
(d) Hannah Grumbs.
3. How does Timothy order Phillip to get around on the raft?
(b) He tells him not to move at all.
(d) On his bottom.
4. When Phillip first asks Timothy for water while on the raft, where does Timothy get the water?
(a) From a small bottle of water.
(b) From a large keg on the raft.
(c) From a canteen around his neck.
(d) From the ocean.
5. In Chapter 3, when Timothy and Phillip are on the raft, where does Timothy believe they are?
(a) Near Panama.
(b) Near the cays.
(c) Near Canada.
(d) Near Hawaii.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how does Phillip react to the amount of water Timothy gives him?
2. In Chapter 4, how old does Timothy tell Phillip he is?
3. Where does Phillip think Timothy is from?
4. What appeal does Phillip make to his mother when she says she wants to leave the island?
5. In Chapter 6, why does Timothy yell at Phillip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Timothy order Phillip to crawl around the raft, not walk?
2. Why is the S.S. Hato sailing to Panama before going to Miami?
3. What is unusual about Grace's reaction when the S.S. Hato is torpedoed?
4. Why did Phillip's family move to Curacao?
5. What information does Timothy provide Phillip about himself when Phillip asks where Timothy comes from?
6. In Chapter 2, what actions do Phillip and Grace take to stay safe from the Germans?
7. During their conversation about the war, why does Henrik seem to Phillip to be so knowledgeable about the goings on of the military?
8. As the novel opens, why is young Phillip excited?
9. Why does Phillip, Sr. say that Grace and Phillip should not leave Curacao?
10. Why does Grace say she doesn't like living in Curacao?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)