|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Henrik the American Navy will arrive at Curacao soon?
(a) Phillip, Sr.
(b) One of the Chinese crewmen.
2. Upon discovering he is blind, who does Phillip call for?
(a) His father.
(c) His mother.
3. Why does the army officer tell Phillip and Henrik to leave the bridge?
(a) They are in torpedo range.
(b) They are creating a nuisance.
(c) They are vandalizing the bridge.
(d) The bridge is private property.
4. Where do Phillip and Henrik often spend time playing pirates?
(a) In Henrik's basement.
(b) The harbor.
(c) In Phillip's back yard.
(d) The ancient fort.
5. What is Phillip's father's name?
(a) Phillip Enright, Sr.
(b) Phillip Thomas.
(c) Joseph Smith
(d) Walter Van Boven.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Phillip when the book begins?
2. In Chapter 6, what does Timothy tell Phillip a man can do in these waters?
3. In Chapter 3, how does Phillip react to the amount of water Timothy gives him?
4. What does Timothy use to make the lean-to on the raft?
5. On what island are Phillip and his parents living when the book starts?
Short Essay Questions
1. At noon on Phillip's and Timothy's third day on the raft, what does Timothy do for Phillip as a plane passes overhead?
2. Why does Timothy order Phillip to crawl around the raft, not walk?
3. As the novel opens, why is young Phillip excited?
4. Why does Grace say she doesn't like living in Curacao?
5. Who are the occupants of the raft Phillip wakes up on after the S.S. Hato sinks?
6. Why is the S.S. Hato sailing to Panama before going to Miami?
7. On the first night Timothy and Phillip are on the raft, what does Phillip think about as he lays looking at the stars?
8. What information does Timothy provide Phillip about himself when Phillip asks where Timothy comes from?
9. Why did Phillip's family move to Curacao?
10. When the S.S. Empire Tern is sunk, what does Philip realize about the crew that was on board?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)