|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Timothy order Phillip to get around on the raft?
(a) He tells him not to move at all.
(b) On his bottom.
2. In Chapter 5, while Phillip and Timothy are on the raft, what does Timothy use to make a smoke signal?
(a) A leg from the lean to.
(b) A plank from the raft.
(c) Pieces of the water keg.
3. In Chapter 6, where does Timothy think he and Phillip will be better off?
(a) On the raft.
(b) In the ocean.
(c) On the island.
4. What island does Henrik tell Phillip has been destroyed?
(c) Easter Island.
(d) St. Thomas.
5. What appeal does Phillip make to his mother when she says she wants to leave the island?
(a) To take his father with them.
(b) To take Henrik with them.
(c) To let him stay.
(d) To get a dog when they return.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Phillip's father doing as Phillip and his mom leave the island?
2. Who shows Phillip around the Tern?
3. Why does Timothy warn Phillip to stay away from the edge of the raft?
4. What do the islanders call the Chinese crewmen when they refuse to sail?
5. In Chapter 4, how old does Timothy tell Phillip he is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Phillip want to leave Curacao with his mother?
2. In Chapter 2, why does the refinery shut down?
3. What information does Timothy provide Phillip about himself when Phillip asks where Timothy comes from?
4. What is unusual about Grace's reaction when the S.S. Hato is torpedoed?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Phillip think he is glad he got to see before going blind?
6. As the novel opens, why is young Phillip excited?
7. Why does Phillip accuse Timothy of being stingy when they are on the raft?
8. On the first night Timothy and Phillip are on the raft, what does Phillip think about as he lays looking at the stars?
9. When the S.S. Empire Tern is sunk, what does Philip realize about the crew that was on board?
10. Why does Timothy warn Phillip not to dangle his hands over the side of the raft into the water?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)