|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Phillip into his life jacket when their boat is sinking?
(a) His mother.
(b) A sailor.
(c) The captain.
2. Where does Phillip tell Timothy he is from?
(a) New Orleans.
(c) New York City.
(d) St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands.
3. How does Grace feel about living on the island?
4. After Phillip goes blind, how long does Timothy tell him it will take him to regain his sight?
(a) A month.
(b) A year.
(c) A couple of days.
(d) He will never regain his sight.
5. Why does Timothy warn Phillip to stay away from the edge of the raft?
(a) There are jellyfish nearby.
(b) There are sharks in the water.
(c) He can't swim.
(d) The water is too cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, when Phillip wakes up in the dark after feeling ill, what time does Timothy tell him it is?
2. What appeal does Phillip make to his mother when she says she wants to leave the island?
3. According to Phillip's father, why can't the islanders fight the Germans?
4. In Chapter 6, why does Timothy yell at Phillip?
5. How long has Phillip's family lived on the island as the book begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Timothy provide Phillip about himself when Phillip asks where Timothy comes from?
2. What is unusual about Grace's reaction when the S.S. Hato is torpedoed?
3. At the beginning of the book, what do Phillip and Henrik find when they visit the harbor against their mothers' wishes?
4. Why does Phillip accuse Timothy of being stingy when they are on the raft?
5. As the novel opens, why is young Phillip excited?
6. During their conversation about the war, why does Henrik seem to Phillip to be so knowledgeable about the goings on of the military?
7. When Phillip realizes he is blind, what story does Timothy tell him to attempt to soothe him?
8. Why does Grace say she doesn't like living in Curacao?
9. What does Timothy say the island he spots looks like?
10. Why does Timothy order Phillip to crawl around the raft, not walk?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)