|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
(a) Makes a rock path along the reef.
(b) Makes a line of seashells along the reef.
(c) Strings wind chimes along the way to the reef.
(d) Plants poles in the reef.
2. How do Timothy and Phillip get coconuts in Chapter 13?
(a) Phillip climbs a tree.
(b) They collect them off the beach.
(c) Timothy climbs a tree.
(d) They throw rocks at the coconuts hanging from the tree.
3. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
4. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
(a) The risk of falling.
(b) He may get lost.
(c) The path is steep.
(d) Stepping on sea urchins.
5. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
(a) A vine.
(b) Strands of a life line.
(c) His own hair.
(d) Strings from their clothing.
6. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
(a) Timothy cries.
(b) Timothy agrees.
(c) Timothy leaves the campsite in a huff.
(d) Timothy slaps Phillip.
7. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
(a) Phillip is blind.
(b) Phillip doesn't want to.
(c) Phillip is too weak.
(d) Work is for adults.
8. In Chapter 10, whom does Phillip tell Timothy his mother does not like?
(b) Chinese people.
(c) Black people.
(d) Rich people.
9. What is a langosta?
(a) A type of shark.
(b) A clawless lobster.
(c) An octopus.
(d) A large fish.
10. What did Timothy keep off the island while he chased away the jumbi?
11. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
(b) Over 70.
(c) Over 50.
12. What do the rains of the tempest feel like to Phillip?
(c) Soft taps.
13. How does Timothy know that a tempest is on the way?
(a) The birds leave the island.
(b) It gets very cold.
(c) There are no fish in the fishing hole.
(d) The waves make a cracking noise.
14. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
(a) A cot.
(b) Fishing hooks.
(c) A spear.
(d) His own hut.
15. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
(b) A stone path.
(c) A rope.
(d) A fence.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who doesn't like the rain?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip believe about Timothy?
3. What shape does Timothy say the island is?
4. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
5. What does Phillip note about Timothy following his illness?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)