|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
(a) A cot.
(b) Fishing hooks.
(c) A spear.
(d) His own hut.
2. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy put on top of the hut?
(a) A carving of a cat.
(b) A sun roof.
(c) A lightning rod.
3. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy insist Phillip help him make?
(a) Phillip's sleeping mat.
(b) A water collection system.
(c) A new raft.
(d) The hut.
4. In Chapter 7, when Timothy tells Phillip he isn't sure where they are, what does Phillip think of Timothy?
(a) He is very intelligent.
(b) He must be a stupid black man.
(c) He has poor eyesight.
(d) He must have gone crazy.
5. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(a) Cutting fire wood.
(d) Looking for ships.
6. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
(a) The food is about to spoil.
(b) They are very hungry from preparing for the storm.
(c) They need to use up the food they have stored.
(d) The fish may not return for a week.
7. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
(a) Work is for adults.
(b) Phillip doesn't want to.
(c) Phillip is too weak.
(d) Phillip is blind.
8. What do the rains of the tempest feel like to Phillip?
(c) Soft taps.
9. How does Phillip know when it is late May?
(a) He does not know.
(b) There are 48 pebbles in the can.
(c) There are 48 rocks lined up on the beach.
(d) There are 48 notches on the tree.
10. Why does Timothy think people have different colors of skin?
(a) Because people are all different.
(b) For the same reason fish and flowers come in different colors.
(c) Because of the parts of the world they live in.
(d) Because some skin colors are better than others.
11. How does Timothy know that a tempest is on the way?
(a) It gets very cold.
(b) The waves make a cracking noise.
(c) The birds leave the island.
(d) There are no fish in the fishing hole.
12. What is a jumbi?
(a) A lucky spirit.
(b) An evil spirit.
(c) A large wolf-like animal.
(d) A fish.
13. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
(a) There is one large cut on it.
(b) It is very strong.
(c) It has been flayed to ribbons.
(d) It has a few bruises.
14. What shape does Timothy say the island is?
(b) Melon shaped.
(d) Long and narrow.
15. How do Timothy and Phillip feel when Phillip catches a fish?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
2. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
3. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
4. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
5. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)