|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Timothy know that a tempest is on the way?
(a) There are no fish in the fishing hole.
(b) It gets very cold.
(c) The waves make a cracking noise.
(d) The birds leave the island.
2. What does Phillip learn to feel the direction of so he will know where to fish?
(a) The wind.
(b) The sun.
(c) The water.
(d) The movement of the fish.
3. What is a jumbi?
(a) An evil spirit.
(b) A lucky spirit.
(c) A large wolf-like animal.
(d) A fish.
4. What method do Timothy and Phillip use to mark time on the island?
(a) The carve notches on a tree.
(b) They do not mark time.
(c) They line rocks up on the beach.
(d) They drop pebbles in a can.
5. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
(b) Over 50.
(d) Over 70.
6. How does Timothy suggest they can get more drinking water?
(a) They can filter the sea water.
(b) They cannot get more drinking water.
(c) They can collect rainwater.
(d) They can crack open coconuts.
7. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
(a) Palm fronds.
(b) Grape leaves.
(d) A piece of sail cloth.
8. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
(a) They need to use up the food they have stored.
(b) The food is about to spoil.
(c) The fish may not return for a week.
(d) They are very hungry from preparing for the storm.
9. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Dried palm fronds.
(c) Wood from the raft.
(d) Wood cut from the palm trees.
10. In Chapter 12, as Timothy and Phillip return from the beach to their campsite, what does Timothy do for the first time?
(a) Tells Phillip where he is from.
(b) Leans on Phillip.
(c) Catches a langosta.
(d) Tells Phillip his real age.
11. How many feet out on the reef is the fishing hole?
(a) 20 feet.
(b) 50 feet.
(c) 5 feet.
(d) 100 feet.
12. What does Timothy smash with a rock to make Phillip's first trip along the reef safer?
(a) Sharp rocks.
(b) Sea urchins.
(d) Mussel shells.
13. Why do Timothy and Phillip lose consciousness during the tempest?
(a) A tree falls and hits them.
(b) They are frightened.
(c) A wave crashes over their heads.
(d) They are struck by flying debris.
14. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(a) Cutting fire wood.
(c) Looking for ships.
15. In Chapter E11, what does Timothy bring to Phillip and place in his lap?
(d) A fishing pole.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
2. In Chapter 15, why are Phillip and Timothy naked?
3. How does Phillip know when it is late May?
4. In Chapter 11, what does Phillip realize Timothy is trying to make him?
5. When Phillip discovers Timothy is dead, who or what comes to him?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)