|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Timothy build on a forty foot rise near the palm trees?
(a) Their campsite.
(b) A trap.
(c) A statue.
(d) A signal fire.
2. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
(a) The risk of falling.
(b) Stepping on sea urchins.
(c) He may get lost.
(d) The path is steep.
3. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(a) Guide ropes that circle the island.
(b) A cane.
(d) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
4. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
(b) Palm fronds.
(c) A piece of sail cloth.
(d) Grape leaves.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
(a) Catch his own langosta.
(b) Learn to build a hut.
(c) Leave the island.
(d) Learn to fish.
6. In Chapter 8, what does Phillip believe has become of his mother?
(a) He believes she has returned to Virginia.
(b) He believes she is on the other side of the island.
(c) He believes she is safe.
(d) He believes she is dead.
7. What do the rains of the tempest feel like to Phillip?
(b) Soft taps.
8. How does Timothy know that a tempest is on the way?
(a) It gets very cold.
(b) There are no fish in the fishing hole.
(c) The birds leave the island.
(d) The waves make a cracking noise.
9. When Timothy first goes to explore the island, why does Phillip panic?
(a) He is bitten by something.
(b) He is left alone on the beach.
(c) He hears something growling.
(d) He is sure Timothy will kill him.
10. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
(a) 8 feet deep.
(b) 20 feet deep.
(c) 4 feet deep.
(d) 50 feet deep.
11. How do Timothy and Phillip feel when Phillip catches a fish?
12. What is a langosta?
(a) A clawless lobster.
(b) A type of shark.
(c) An octopus.
(d) A large fish.
13. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Dried palm fronds.
(c) Wood cut from the palm trees.
(d) Wood from the raft.
14. Why does Timothy think people have different colors of skin?
(a) Because of the parts of the world they live in.
(b) Because some skin colors are better than others.
(c) For the same reason fish and flowers come in different colors.
(d) Because people are all different.
15. In Chapter E11, what does Timothy bring to Phillip and place in his lap?
(a) A fishing pole.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
2. How do Timothy and Phillip get coconuts in Chapter 13?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
4. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back?
5. What is a jumbi?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)