|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
(b) His mother.
(c) His teacher.
(d) His father.
2. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
(a) 8 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(b) 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.
(c) 10 feet wide and 20 feet long.
(d) 6 feet wide and 8 feet long.
3. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(a) A cane.
(b) Guide ropes that circle the island.
(d) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
4. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back?
(a) Timothy is too cheerful.
(b) Timothy won't speak to him.
(c) He can hear Timothy fidgeting.
(d) The tone of Timothy's voice.
5. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(b) Wood from the raft.
(c) Wood cut from the palm trees.
(d) Dried palm fronds.
6. In Chapter 13, upon first arriving at the fishing hole, what does Timothy have Phillip do?
(a) Go back to the campsite.
(b) Jump in the fishing hole.
(c) Take his shoes off.
(d) Feel along the edges of the fishing hole.
7. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
(a) Strings wind chimes along the way to the reef.
(b) Makes a line of seashells along the reef.
(c) Makes a rock path along the reef.
(d) Plants poles in the reef.
8. What is a langosta?
(a) A type of shark.
(b) A large fish.
(c) A clawless lobster.
(d) An octopus.
9. How does Phillip know when it is late May?
(a) He does not know.
(b) There are 48 rocks lined up on the beach.
(c) There are 48 pebbles in the can.
(d) There are 48 notches on the tree.
10. What method do Timothy and Phillip use to mark time on the island?
(a) The carve notches on a tree.
(b) They drop pebbles in a can.
(c) They do not mark time.
(d) They line rocks up on the beach.
11. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
12. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
(a) It is very strong.
(b) There is one large cut on it.
(c) It has been flayed to ribbons.
(d) It has a few bruises.
13. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy put on top of the hut?
(a) A carving of a cat.
(b) A lightning rod.
(c) A sun roof.
14. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
15. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
(a) Learn to fish.
(b) Catch his own langosta.
(c) Leave the island.
(d) Learn to build a hut.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
2. What did Timothy keep off the island while he chased away the jumbi?
3. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
4. In Chapter 10, who doesn't like the rain?
5. In Chapter Twelve, when does Timothy's fever finally break?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)