|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
2. Why do Timothy and Phillip lose consciousness during the tempest?
(a) A tree falls and hits them.
(b) A wave crashes over their heads.
(c) They are struck by flying debris.
(d) They are frightened.
3. What did Timothy keep off the island while he chased away the jumbi?
4. In Chapter 13, upon first arriving at the fishing hole, what does Timothy have Phillip do?
(a) Feel along the edges of the fishing hole.
(b) Take his shoes off.
(c) Go back to the campsite.
(d) Jump in the fishing hole.
5. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
(a) 4 feet deep.
(b) 50 feet deep.
(c) 8 feet deep.
(d) 20 feet deep.
6. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
(b) A piece of sail cloth.
(c) Grape leaves.
(d) Palm fronds.
7. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
(a) Over 70.
(d) Over 50.
8. What does Phillip feel slithering around his feet as the tempest begins to hit?
9. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
(a) Timothy cries.
(b) Timothy slaps Phillip.
(c) Timothy agrees.
(d) Timothy leaves the campsite in a huff.
10. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
(a) It has a few bruises.
(b) It has been flayed to ribbons.
(c) It is very strong.
(d) There is one large cut on it.
11. What is a langosta?
(a) A type of shark.
(b) A large fish.
(c) A clawless lobster.
(d) An octopus.
12. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
(a) Stepping on sea urchins.
(b) The risk of falling.
(c) He may get lost.
(d) The path is steep.
13. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy insist Phillip help him make?
(a) A water collection system.
(b) Phillip's sleeping mat.
(c) A new raft.
(d) The hut.
14. What does Timothy agree to stop calling Phillip, and call him his real name instead?
(d) Young Boss.
15. What is a jumbi?
(a) A lucky spirit.
(b) A fish.
(c) An evil spirit.
(d) A large wolf-like animal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Phillip learn to feel the direction of so he will know where to fish?
2. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
3. How do Timothy and Phillip feel when Phillip catches a fish?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
5. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)