|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape does Timothy say the island is?
(b) Long and narrow.
(c) Melon shaped.
2. In Chapter 7, when Timothy tells Phillip he isn't sure where they are, what does Phillip think of Timothy?
(a) He has poor eyesight.
(b) He is very intelligent.
(c) He must have gone crazy.
(d) He must be a stupid black man.
3. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) There are dangerous reefs there.
(b) The waters are shark-infested.
(c) It is enemy territory.
(d) There is nothing there to see.
4. In Chapter 11, what does Phillip realize Timothy is trying to make him?
5. As the tempest blows, why does Timothy have Phillip lie flat on the ground?
(a) To avoid the rising waters.
(b) So he won't fall in the water.
(c) So he won't get hit by a falling tree.
(d) The hut has blown away.
6. How does Timothy know that a tempest is on the way?
(a) The birds leave the island.
(b) There are no fish in the fishing hole.
(c) The waves make a cracking noise.
(d) It gets very cold.
7. At the end of Chapter 11, what is Timothy sure will change?
(a) The weather.
(b) Their luck.
(c) Phillip's attitude.
(d) The number of fish around the island.
8. In Chapter 10, who doesn't like the rain?
(d) The langosta.
9. What does Timothy build on a forty foot rise near the palm trees?
(a) Their campsite.
(b) A signal fire.
(c) A trap.
(d) A statue.
10. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
(a) Plants poles in the reef.
(b) Makes a rock path along the reef.
(c) Strings wind chimes along the way to the reef.
(d) Makes a line of seashells along the reef.
11. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
(a) Timothy slaps Phillip.
(b) Timothy leaves the campsite in a huff.
(c) Timothy agrees.
(d) Timothy cries.
12. What method do Timothy and Phillip use to mark time on the island?
(a) The carve notches on a tree.
(b) They line rocks up on the beach.
(c) They drop pebbles in a can.
(d) They do not mark time.
13. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
(a) A spear.
(b) A cot.
(c) His own hut.
(d) Fishing hooks.
14. Why doesn't Timothy want Phillip to go to the reef with him at first?
(a) It is too dangerous.
(b) He doesn't want to share the fish.
(c) He is hiding treasure.
(d) He thinks there are people there.
15. What is a langosta?
(a) A large fish.
(b) A type of shark.
(c) A clawless lobster.
(d) An octopus.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 8, what does Phillip believe has become of his mother?
2. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
3. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
4. When does the rain begin to fall, signaling the beginning of the tempest?
5. In Chapter Twelve, when does Timothy's fever finally break?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)