|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(b) The signal fire pile.
(c) The raft.
2. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
3. Why does Phillip decide that Timothy chose a high spot to build their campsite on?
(a) In case a storm caused the waters to rise.
(b) Timothy doesn't like the beach.
(c) It is a sunnier spot.
(d) For a better view.
4. In Chapter 13, upon first arriving at the fishing hole, what does Timothy have Phillip do?
(a) Feel along the edges of the fishing hole.
(b) Jump in the fishing hole.
(c) Go back to the campsite.
(d) Take his shoes off.
5. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His father.
(d) His mother.
6. In Chapter 8, what does Phillip believe has become of his mother?
(a) He believes she is safe.
(b) He believes she is on the other side of the island.
(c) He believes she has returned to Virginia.
(d) He believes she is dead.
7. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
(a) Learn to fish.
(b) Learn to build a hut.
(c) Leave the island.
(d) Catch his own langosta.
8. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
(a) 50 feet deep.
(b) 20 feet deep.
(c) 8 feet deep.
(d) 4 feet deep.
9. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(b) A cane.
(c) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
(d) Guide ropes that circle the island.
10. In Chapter 11, what does Phillip realize Timothy is trying to make him?
11. What does Timothy agree to stop calling Phillip, and call him his real name instead?
(a) Young Boss.
12. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) There is nothing there to see.
(b) There are dangerous reefs there.
(c) The waters are shark-infested.
(d) It is enemy territory.
13. In Chapter 15, why are Phillip and Timothy naked?
(a) They've decided clothes aren't necessary.
(b) The storm took their clothes.
(c) Their clothes have become too dirty to wear.
(d) They are hot.
14. Why do Timothy and Phillip lose consciousness during the tempest?
(a) A wave crashes over their heads.
(b) A tree falls and hits them.
(c) They are frightened.
(d) They are struck by flying debris.
15. In Chapter 10, whom does Phillip tell Timothy his mother does not like?
(a) Black people.
(b) Chinese people.
(c) Rich people.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Timothy and Phillip feel when Phillip catches a fish?
2. In Chapter E11, what does Timothy bring to Phillip and place in his lap?
3. Why doesn't Timothy want Phillip to go to the reef with him at first?
4. What do the rains of the tempest feel like to Phillip?
5. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)