|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
(a) His own hut.
(b) Fishing hooks.
(c) A cot.
(d) A spear.
2. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy put on top of the hut?
(b) A carving of a cat.
(c) A lightning rod.
(d) A sun roof.
3. What does Phillip learn to feel the direction of so he will know where to fish?
(a) The water.
(b) The wind.
(c) The sun.
(d) The movement of the fish.
4. In Chapter 10, whom does Phillip tell Timothy his mother does not like?
(a) Black people.
(b) Chinese people.
(c) Rich people.
5. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
(a) His own hair.
(b) Strands of a life line.
(c) Strings from their clothing.
(d) A vine.
6. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
(a) 50 feet deep.
(b) 20 feet deep.
(c) 4 feet deep.
(d) 8 feet deep.
7. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
(c) Over 50.
(d) Over 70.
8. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(a) The signal fire pile.
(c) The raft.
9. In Chapter E11, what does Timothy bring to Phillip and place in his lap?
(a) A fishing pole.
10. In Chapter 8, after going to get langosta, why does Timothy groan?
(a) Phillip has fallen and hurt himself.
(b) He didn't get any langosta.
(c) The hut has fallen down.
(d) He is in pain.
11. What does Timothy smash with a rock to make Phillip's first trip along the reef safer?
(a) Sharp rocks.
(b) Mussel shells.
(d) Sea urchins.
12. How does Phillip know when it is late May?
(a) There are 48 rocks lined up on the beach.
(b) There are 48 pebbles in the can.
(c) He does not know.
(d) There are 48 notches on the tree.
13. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip believe about Timothy?
(a) He is older than he says he is.
(b) He is the smartest man Phillip knows.
(c) He has gone crazy.
(d) He has given up hope of rescue.
14. What does Timothy build on a forty foot rise near the palm trees?
(a) Their campsite.
(b) A statue.
(c) A signal fire.
(d) A trap.
15. How does Timothy know that a tempest is on the way?
(a) There are no fish in the fishing hole.
(b) The waves make a cracking noise.
(c) The birds leave the island.
(d) It gets very cold.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
2. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
3. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
4. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
5. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)