|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(a) The raft.
(c) The signal fire pile.
2. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) It is enemy territory.
(b) There is nothing there to see.
(c) The waters are shark-infested.
(d) There are dangerous reefs there.
3. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
(a) Phillip is blind.
(b) Work is for adults.
(c) Phillip is too weak.
(d) Phillip doesn't want to.
4. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back?
(a) Timothy is too cheerful.
(b) He can hear Timothy fidgeting.
(c) Timothy won't speak to him.
(d) The tone of Timothy's voice.
5. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
(a) Over 50.
(c) Over 70.
6. Why does Phillip decide that Timothy chose a high spot to build their campsite on?
(a) In case a storm caused the waters to rise.
(b) Timothy doesn't like the beach.
(c) It is a sunnier spot.
(d) For a better view.
7. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
(a) 6 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(b) 8 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(c) 10 feet wide and 20 feet long.
(d) 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.
8. In Chapter 13, what causes Phillip to almost fall into the fishing hole?
(a) He jumps up and down when Timothy catches a fish.
(b) He steps on a sea urchin.
(c) He slips on a rock.
(d) Pulling on a stubborn mussel.
9. In Chapter 12, when Timothy stumbles out of the hut while ill, where does Phillip find him?
(a) By the signal fire.
(b) In the water.
(c) On the raft.
(d) By the fishing hole.
10. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(d) His teacher.
11. What does Timothy smash with a rock to make Phillip's first trip along the reef safer?
(a) Sharp rocks.
(b) Sea urchins.
(d) Mussel shells.
12. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(b) Looking for ships.
(d) Cutting fire wood.
13. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
(a) Timothy slaps Phillip.
(b) Timothy agrees.
(c) Timothy cries.
(d) Timothy leaves the campsite in a huff.
14. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Dried palm fronds.
(b) Wood cut from the palm trees.
(d) Wood from the raft.
15. In Chapter E11, what does Timothy bring to Phillip and place in his lap?
(b) A fishing pole.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
2. In Chapter Twelve, when does Timothy's fever finally break?
3. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
4. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
5. When Phillip discovers Timothy is dead, who or what comes to him?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)