|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 8, after going to get langosta, why does Timothy groan?
(a) The hut has fallen down.
(b) He is in pain.
(c) He didn't get any langosta.
(d) Phillip has fallen and hurt himself.
2. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
(a) They are very hungry from preparing for the storm.
(b) The food is about to spoil.
(c) The fish may not return for a week.
(d) They need to use up the food they have stored.
3. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
(a) Learn to fish.
(b) Leave the island.
(c) Catch his own langosta.
(d) Learn to build a hut.
4. What does Timothy build on a forty foot rise near the palm trees?
(a) A statue.
(b) A trap.
(c) A signal fire.
(d) Their campsite.
5. What does Phillip learn to feel the direction of so he will know where to fish?
(a) The wind.
(b) The water.
(c) The movement of the fish.
(d) The sun.
6. What does Phillip note about Timothy following his illness?
(a) He never fully regains his strength.
(b) His personality changes.
(c) He is stronger than ever.
(d) He is fearful.
7. As the tempest blows, why does Timothy have Phillip lie flat on the ground?
(a) The hut has blown away.
(b) To avoid the rising waters.
(c) So he won't fall in the water.
(d) So he won't get hit by a falling tree.
8. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
(a) Over 50.
(c) Over 70.
9. In Chapter 13, upon first arriving at the fishing hole, what does Timothy have Phillip do?
(a) Jump in the fishing hole.
(b) Feel along the edges of the fishing hole.
(c) Take his shoes off.
(d) Go back to the campsite.
10. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
(a) 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.
(b) 10 feet wide and 20 feet long.
(c) 6 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(d) 8 feet wide and 8 feet long.
11. What is a jumbi?
(a) A fish.
(b) A lucky spirit.
(c) An evil spirit.
(d) A large wolf-like animal.
12. What is a langosta?
(a) A clawless lobster.
(b) An octopus.
(c) A large fish.
(d) A type of shark.
13. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
14. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
(a) Strings from their clothing.
(b) Strands of a life line.
(c) His own hair.
(d) A vine.
15. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
(a) There are spiny urchins on the beach.
(b) Phillip has forgotten how to spell.
(c) Timothy cannot read or write.
(d) There is nothing to write with.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Timothy act when he is ill in Chapter 12?
2. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
3. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
4. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
5. In Chapter 8, what does Phillip believe has become of his mother?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)