|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Timothy want Phillip to go to the reef with him at first?
(a) He is hiding treasure.
(b) It is too dangerous.
(c) He doesn't want to share the fish.
(d) He thinks there are people there.
2. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
(a) A piece of sail cloth.
(b) Grape leaves.
(d) Palm fronds.
3. When Timothy recovers from his illness, what doesn't he recall doing?
(a) The shipwreck.
(b) Phillip's name.
(c) Yelling at Phillip.
(d) Going down to the beach.
4. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(b) The signal fire pile.
(d) The raft.
5. How does Timothy suggest they can get more drinking water?
(a) They can collect rainwater.
(b) They can crack open coconuts.
(c) They cannot get more drinking water.
(d) They can filter the sea water.
6. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip believe about Timothy?
(a) He is older than he says he is.
(b) He is the smartest man Phillip knows.
(c) He has gone crazy.
(d) He has given up hope of rescue.
7. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
(a) Learn to build a hut.
(b) Catch his own langosta.
(c) Leave the island.
(d) Learn to fish.
8. What is a jumbi?
(a) An evil spirit.
(b) A fish.
(c) A large wolf-like animal.
(d) A lucky spirit.
9. In Chapter Twelve, when does Timothy's fever finally break?
(b) Early evening.
10. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) It is enemy territory.
(b) There are dangerous reefs there.
(c) There is nothing there to see.
(d) The waters are shark-infested.
11. How long are Phillip and Timothy on the island before it rains for the first time?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) One week.
(d) Two days.
12. When Phillip discovers Timothy is dead, who or what comes to him?
(a) The lizards.
(c) An airplane.
(d) American sailors.
13. In Chapter 12, when Timothy stumbles out of the hut while ill, where does Phillip find him?
(a) In the water.
(b) On the raft.
(c) By the fishing hole.
(d) By the signal fire.
14. How does Timothy act when he is ill in Chapter 12?
15. What is a langosta?
(a) A type of shark.
(b) A clawless lobster.
(c) An octopus.
(d) A large fish.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
2. In Chapter 8, after going to get langosta, why does Timothy groan?
3. In Chapter 7, when Timothy tells Phillip he isn't sure where they are, what does Phillip think of Timothy?
4. What does Phillip learn to feel the direction of so he will know where to fish?
5. How many feet out on the reef is the fishing hole?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)