|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
(a) They need to use up the food they have stored.
(b) The food is about to spoil.
(c) They are very hungry from preparing for the storm.
(d) The fish may not return for a week.
2. What is a jumbi?
(a) A fish.
(b) A large wolf-like animal.
(c) An evil spirit.
(d) A lucky spirit.
3. When Timothy first goes to explore the island, why does Phillip panic?
(a) He hears something growling.
(b) He is left alone on the beach.
(c) He is sure Timothy will kill him.
(d) He is bitten by something.
4. In Chapter 8, what does Phillip believe has become of his mother?
(a) He believes she is on the other side of the island.
(b) He believes she is dead.
(c) He believes she is safe.
(d) He believes she has returned to Virginia.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
(a) His own hut.
(b) A spear.
(c) A cot.
(d) Fishing hooks.
6. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(b) The raft.
(c) The signal fire pile.
7. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
(a) He can see a ship.
(b) He can see another island.
(c) There is nothing to fear on the island.
(d) There is plenty of food and water on the island.
8. Why does Phillip decide that Timothy chose a high spot to build their campsite on?
(a) For a better view.
(b) It is a sunnier spot.
(c) Timothy doesn't like the beach.
(d) In case a storm caused the waters to rise.
9. How do Timothy and Phillip feel when Phillip catches a fish?
10. Why doesn't Timothy want Phillip to go to the reef with him at first?
(a) He thinks there are people there.
(b) He is hiding treasure.
(c) He doesn't want to share the fish.
(d) It is too dangerous.
11. In Chapter 10, who doesn't like the rain?
(b) The langosta.
12. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
(a) Palm fronds.
(b) Grape leaves.
(d) A piece of sail cloth.
13. In Chapter 15, why are Phillip and Timothy naked?
(a) Their clothes have become too dirty to wear.
(b) They are hot.
(c) The storm took their clothes.
(d) They've decided clothes aren't necessary.
14. What shape does Timothy say the island is?
(b) Long and narrow.
(d) Melon shaped.
15. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
(a) 8 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(b) 10 feet wide and 20 feet long.
(c) 6 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(d) 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
3. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
4. As the tempest blows, why does Timothy have Phillip lie flat on the ground?
5. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)