|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Timothy tell Phillip that Phillip must do?
(a) Learn to fish.
(b) Catch his own langosta.
(c) Learn to build a hut.
(d) Leave the island.
2. In Chapter 10, whom does Phillip tell Timothy his mother does not like?
(a) Black people.
(b) Chinese people.
(c) Rich people.
3. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
(a) Phillip has forgotten how to spell.
(b) There is nothing to write with.
(c) Timothy cannot read or write.
(d) There are spiny urchins on the beach.
4. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
(a) A cot.
(b) His own hut.
(c) Fishing hooks.
(d) A spear.
5. In Chapter 8, after going to get langosta, why does Timothy groan?
(a) Phillip has fallen and hurt himself.
(b) He is in pain.
(c) He didn't get any langosta.
(d) The hut has fallen down.
6. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
(a) He may get lost.
(b) The risk of falling.
(c) Stepping on sea urchins.
(d) The path is steep.
7. Why do Timothy and Phillip eat a large meal before the tempest hits?
(a) The fish may not return for a week.
(b) They are very hungry from preparing for the storm.
(c) They need to use up the food they have stored.
(d) The food is about to spoil.
8. What is a langosta?
(a) A type of shark.
(b) A clawless lobster.
(c) An octopus.
(d) A large fish.
9. How long are Phillip and Timothy on the island before it rains for the first time?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) A month.
(c) Two days.
(d) One week.
10. What does Phillip note about Timothy following his illness?
(a) His personality changes.
(b) He is fearful.
(c) He is stronger than ever.
(d) He never fully regains his strength.
11. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(a) A cane.
(b) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
(d) Guide ropes that circle the island.
12. In Chapter 13, upon first arriving at the fishing hole, what does Timothy have Phillip do?
(a) Feel along the edges of the fishing hole.
(b) Take his shoes off.
(c) Go back to the campsite.
(d) Jump in the fishing hole.
13. In Chapter 7, when Timothy tells Phillip he isn't sure where they are, what does Phillip think of Timothy?
(a) He must be a stupid black man.
(b) He must have gone crazy.
(c) He is very intelligent.
(d) He has poor eyesight.
14. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Wood cut from the palm trees.
(b) Wood from the raft.
(d) Dried palm fronds.
15. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(b) Cutting fire wood.
(c) Looking for ships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
2. In Chapter 13, what causes Phillip to almost fall into the fishing hole?
3. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
4. How does Timothy act when he is ill in Chapter 12?
5. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)