|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Timothy and Phillip get coconuts in Chapter 13?
(a) Timothy climbs a tree.
(b) They throw rocks at the coconuts hanging from the tree.
(c) They collect them off the beach.
(d) Phillip climbs a tree.
2. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(b) The signal fire pile.
(c) The raft.
3. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
(a) The path is steep.
(b) He may get lost.
(c) Stepping on sea urchins.
(d) The risk of falling.
4. What is a jumbi?
(a) A fish.
(b) A large wolf-like animal.
(c) An evil spirit.
(d) A lucky spirit.
5. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
(a) A piece of sail cloth.
(b) Grape leaves.
(d) Palm fronds.
6. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
7. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy put on top of the hut?
(a) A sun roof.
(c) A carving of a cat.
(d) A lightning rod.
8. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
(a) It is very strong.
(b) It has been flayed to ribbons.
(c) It has a few bruises.
(d) There is one large cut on it.
9. What does Timothy smash with a rock to make Phillip's first trip along the reef safer?
(a) Sea urchins.
(b) Mussel shells.
(c) Sharp rocks.
10. What does Timothy use to make sinkers?
(c) Pieces of wood.
(d) Rusty bolts.
11. As the tempest blows, why does Timothy have Phillip lie flat on the ground?
(a) So he won't fall in the water.
(b) So he won't get hit by a falling tree.
(c) The hut has blown away.
(d) To avoid the rising waters.
12. When does the rain begin to fall, signaling the beginning of the tempest?
(a) Around noon.
(b) Late at night.
(c) As night falls.
(d) At dawn.
13. What do the rains of the tempest feel like to Phillip?
(c) Soft taps.
14. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
(a) He can see another island.
(b) There is plenty of food and water on the island.
(c) There is nothing to fear on the island.
(d) He can see a ship.
15. What is a langosta?
(a) A clawless lobster.
(b) An octopus.
(c) A large fish.
(d) A type of shark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
2. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy insist Phillip help him make?
4. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
5. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)