|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
(a) Stepping on sea urchins.
(b) He may get lost.
(c) The risk of falling.
(d) The path is steep.
2. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
(a) 8 feet deep.
(b) 4 feet deep.
(c) 50 feet deep.
(d) 20 feet deep.
3. What method do Timothy and Phillip use to mark time on the island?
(a) The carve notches on a tree.
(b) They line rocks up on the beach.
(c) They drop pebbles in a can.
(d) They do not mark time.
4. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
(a) It is very strong.
(b) It has a few bruises.
(c) It has been flayed to ribbons.
(d) There is one large cut on it.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip believe about Timothy?
(a) He has given up hope of rescue.
(b) He is older than he says he is.
(c) He is the smartest man Phillip knows.
(d) He has gone crazy.
6. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
(c) Scarlet Fever.
7. How does Timothy suggest they can get more drinking water?
(a) They can crack open coconuts.
(b) They cannot get more drinking water.
(c) They can filter the sea water.
(d) They can collect rainwater.
8. Why doesn't Timothy want Phillip to go to the reef with him at first?
(a) He is hiding treasure.
(b) He thinks there are people there.
(c) It is too dangerous.
(d) He doesn't want to share the fish.
9. How does Timothy act when he is ill in Chapter 12?
10. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back?
(a) Timothy won't speak to him.
(b) He can hear Timothy fidgeting.
(c) The tone of Timothy's voice.
(d) Timothy is too cheerful.
11. What is a jumbi?
(a) A lucky spirit.
(b) A fish.
(c) An evil spirit.
(d) A large wolf-like animal.
12. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
(a) Timothy cries.
(b) Timothy agrees.
(c) Timothy slaps Phillip.
(d) Timothy leaves the campsite in a huff.
13. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
(a) Strings wind chimes along the way to the reef.
(b) Makes a line of seashells along the reef.
(c) Makes a rock path along the reef.
(d) Plants poles in the reef.
14. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) There are dangerous reefs there.
(b) The waters are shark-infested.
(c) There is nothing there to see.
(d) It is enemy territory.
15. What does Timothy build on a forty foot rise near the palm trees?
(a) A statue.
(b) A signal fire.
(c) Their campsite.
(d) A trap.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Timothy agree to stop calling Phillip, and call him his real name instead?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Phillip realize Timothy is trying to make him?
3. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
4. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
5. What does Timothy use to make sinkers?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)