|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(a) A cane.
(b) Guide ropes that circle the island.
(c) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
2. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
(a) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His teacher.
3. What shape does Timothy say the island is?
(a) Melon shaped.
(c) Long and narrow.
4. What do the rains of the tempest feel like to Phillip?
(b) Soft taps.
5. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
(a) Palm fronds.
(b) Grape leaves.
(c) A piece of sail cloth.
6. When Timothy recovers from his illness, what doesn't he recall doing?
(a) Yelling at Phillip.
(b) Phillip's name.
(c) Going down to the beach.
(d) The shipwreck.
7. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
(a) Timothy agrees.
(b) Timothy leaves the campsite in a huff.
(c) Timothy cries.
(d) Timothy slaps Phillip.
8. In Chapter 12, when Timothy stumbles out of the hut while ill, where does Phillip find him?
(a) By the fishing hole.
(b) By the signal fire.
(c) In the water.
(d) On the raft.
9. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
(a) There is nothing to write with.
(b) Phillip has forgotten how to spell.
(c) There are spiny urchins on the beach.
(d) Timothy cannot read or write.
10. What does Timothy agree to stop calling Phillip, and call him his real name instead?
(a) Young Boss.
11. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Wood cut from the palm trees.
(c) Wood from the raft.
(d) Dried palm fronds.
12. What does Timothy do to mark a path for Phillip along the reef?
(a) Makes a line of seashells along the reef.
(b) Plants poles in the reef.
(c) Strings wind chimes along the way to the reef.
(d) Makes a rock path along the reef.
13. In Chapter 13, upon first arriving at the fishing hole, what does Timothy have Phillip do?
(a) Jump in the fishing hole.
(b) Take his shoes off.
(c) Feel along the edges of the fishing hole.
(d) Go back to the campsite.
14. What is a jumbi?
(a) An evil spirit.
(b) A fish.
(c) A lucky spirit.
(d) A large wolf-like animal.
15. Why does Phillip decide that Timothy chose a high spot to build their campsite on?
(a) For a better view.
(b) In case a storm caused the waters to rise.
(c) It is a sunnier spot.
(d) Timothy doesn't like the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
2. How does Timothy suggest they can get more drinking water?
3. In Chapter 10, whom does Phillip tell Timothy his mother does not like?
4. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
5. In Chapter 11, what does Phillip realize Timothy is trying to make him?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)