|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How deep is the water in the fishing hole?
(a) 8 feet deep.
(b) 50 feet deep.
(c) 4 feet deep.
(d) 20 feet deep.
2. In Chapter 11, what can't Phillip find on the beach?
(b) The signal fire pile.
(d) The raft.
3. What does Phillip learn to feel the direction of so he will know where to fish?
(a) The movement of the fish.
(b) The wind.
(c) The water.
(d) The sun.
4. What do the rains of the tempest feel like to Phillip?
(d) Soft taps.
5. How long are Phillip and Timothy on the island before it rains for the first time?
(a) A month.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Two weeks.
6. How does Phillip know when it is late May?
(a) There are 48 pebbles in the can.
(b) He does not know.
(c) There are 48 rocks lined up on the beach.
(d) There are 48 notches on the tree.
7. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(a) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
(b) Guide ropes that circle the island.
(d) A cane.
8. In Chapter 10, who doesn't like the rain?
(b) The langosta.
9. When Phillip discovers Timothy is dead, who or what comes to him?
(a) American sailors.
(b) An airplane.
(d) The lizards.
10. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
(a) There is nothing there to see.
(b) The waters are shark-infested.
(c) It is enemy territory.
(d) There are dangerous reefs there.
11. When Timothy recovers from his illness, what doesn't he recall doing?
(a) Going down to the beach.
(b) Yelling at Phillip.
(c) Phillip's name.
(d) The shipwreck.
12. How do Timothy and Phillip get coconuts in Chapter 13?
(a) They collect them off the beach.
(b) Phillip climbs a tree.
(c) They throw rocks at the coconuts hanging from the tree.
(d) Timothy climbs a tree.
13. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
(a) A fence.
(b) A stone path.
(c) A rope.
14. When does the rain begin to fall, signaling the beginning of the tempest?
(a) Around noon.
(b) Late at night.
(c) At dawn.
(d) As night falls.
15. In Chapter 12, when Timothy stumbles out of the hut while ill, where does Phillip find him?
(a) By the signal fire.
(b) By the fishing hole.
(c) On the raft.
(d) In the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
2. In Chapter 8, how old does Timothy admit he is?
3. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
4. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
5. What does Phillip cover Timothy with when he shivers due to his illness?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)