|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape does Timothy say the island is?
(c) Long and narrow.
(d) Melon shaped.
2. In Chapter 7, what makes Phillip believe Timothy is holding something back?
(a) Timothy won't speak to him.
(b) He can hear Timothy fidgeting.
(c) Timothy is too cheerful.
(d) The tone of Timothy's voice.
3. In Chapter 13, upon first arriving at the fishing hole, what does Timothy have Phillip do?
(a) Go back to the campsite.
(b) Feel along the edges of the fishing hole.
(c) Jump in the fishing hole.
(d) Take his shoes off.
4. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
(b) His teacher.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
5. What does Timothy tell Phillip will be the main problem with Phillip traveling to the reef on his own?
(a) The risk of falling.
(b) He may get lost.
(c) Stepping on sea urchins.
(d) The path is steep.
6. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
(a) There is nothing to write with.
(b) Timothy cannot read or write.
(c) There are spiny urchins on the beach.
(d) Phillip has forgotten how to spell.
7. Why does Timothy think people have different colors of skin?
(a) For the same reason fish and flowers come in different colors.
(b) Because some skin colors are better than others.
(c) Because of the parts of the world they live in.
(d) Because people are all different.
8. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy insist Phillip help him make?
(a) The hut.
(b) A new raft.
(c) A water collection system.
(d) Phillip's sleeping mat.
9. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(a) Looking for ships.
(b) Cutting fire wood.
10. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
(a) A fence.
(c) A rope.
(d) A stone path.
11. How do Timothy and Phillip feel when Phillip catches a fish?
12. At the end of Chapter 11, what is Timothy sure will change?
(a) The number of fish around the island.
(b) Their luck.
(c) The weather.
(d) Phillip's attitude.
13. What does Timothy make the hut out of?
(a) Wood from the raft.
(b) Dried palm fronds.
(c) Wood cut from the palm trees.
14. What reason does Phillip give Timothy for being unable to help with the work?
(a) Phillip is blind.
(b) Phillip is too weak.
(c) Work is for adults.
(d) Phillip doesn't want to.
15. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Phillip realize Timothy is trying to make him?
2. How does Timothy act when he is ill in Chapter 12?
3. When does the rain begin to fall, signaling the beginning of the tempest?
4. How does Timothy know that a tempest is on the way?
5. Why do ships avoid the Devil's Mouth?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)