|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy put on top of the hut?
(b) A lightning rod.
(c) A carving of a cat.
(d) A sun roof.
2. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip realize Timothy has been making for him?
(a) A spear.
(b) A cot.
(c) Fishing hooks.
(d) His own hut.
3. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
(a) There is plenty of food and water on the island.
(b) There is nothing to fear on the island.
(c) He can see a ship.
(d) He can see another island.
4. When Phillip discovers Timothy is dead, who or what comes to him?
(b) American sailors.
(c) An airplane.
(d) The lizards.
5. What did Timothy keep off the island while he chased away the jumbi?
6. When Timothy asks Phillip to help him write a message in the sand, what does Phillip discover?
(a) Timothy cannot read or write.
(b) There are spiny urchins on the beach.
(c) There is nothing to write with.
(d) Phillip has forgotten how to spell.
7. At what age does Timothy tell Phillip he began working on fishing boats?
8. As the tempest blows, why does Timothy have Phillip lie flat on the ground?
(a) So he won't get hit by a falling tree.
(b) So he won't fall in the water.
(c) The hut has blown away.
(d) To avoid the rising waters.
9. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(a) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
(b) A cane.
(d) Guide ropes that circle the island.
10. When Timothy first goes to explore the island, why does Phillip panic?
(a) He is sure Timothy will kill him.
(b) He is bitten by something.
(c) He is left alone on the beach.
(d) He hears something growling.
11. When does the rain begin to fall, signaling the beginning of the tempest?
(a) Around noon.
(b) As night falls.
(c) Late at night.
(d) At dawn.
12. In Chapter 8, what does Phillip believe has become of his mother?
(a) He believes she is safe.
(b) He believes she has returned to Virginia.
(c) He believes she is dead.
(d) He believes she is on the other side of the island.
13. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
(a) It is very strong.
(b) It has a few bruises.
(c) It has been flayed to ribbons.
(d) There is one large cut on it.
14. How big is the hut Timothy builds?
(a) 6 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(b) 4 feet wide and 5 feet long.
(c) 8 feet wide and 8 feet long.
(d) 10 feet wide and 20 feet long.
15. In Chapter 13, what does Phillip believe about Timothy?
(a) He is older than he says he is.
(b) He has given up hope of rescue.
(c) He has gone crazy.
(d) He is the smartest man Phillip knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what causes Phillip to almost fall into the fishing hole?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
3. How do Timothy and Phillip feel when Phillip catches a fish?
4. What do the rains of the tempest feel like to Phillip?
5. How do Timothy and Phillip get coconuts in Chapter 13?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)