|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy make for Phillip to help him get around?
(a) A cane.
(b) Wooden chimes to signal he is near the water.
(c) Guide ropes that circle the island.
2. What did Timothy keep off the island while he chased away the jumbi?
3. In Chapter 8, whom does Phillip imagine he will have a tale to tell?
(a) His teacher.
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
4. As the tempest blows, why does Timothy have Phillip lie flat on the ground?
(a) So he won't get hit by a falling tree.
(b) The hut has blown away.
(c) So he won't fall in the water.
(d) To avoid the rising waters.
5. Why doesn't Timothy want Phillip to go to the reef with him at first?
(a) He is hiding treasure.
(b) It is too dangerous.
(c) He doesn't want to share the fish.
(d) He thinks there are people there.
6. What do Timothy and Phillip make to help Phillip get from the campsite to the signal fire pile?
(a) A stone path.
(c) A fence.
(d) A rope.
7. In Chapter 9, what does Timothy do when Phillip calls him a stupid, ugly black man?
(a) Timothy agrees.
(b) Timothy cries.
(c) Timothy leaves the campsite in a huff.
(d) Timothy slaps Phillip.
8. When Timothy first goes to explore the island, why does Phillip panic?
(a) He is bitten by something.
(b) He hears something growling.
(c) He is sure Timothy will kill him.
(d) He is left alone on the beach.
9. In Chapter Twelve, when does Timothy's fever finally break?
(b) Early evening.
10. What does Timothy use to make fishing line?
(a) Strings from their clothing.
(b) A vine.
(c) Strands of a life line.
(d) His own hair.
11. When the tempest ends, what does Phillip notice about Timothy's back?
(a) There is one large cut on it.
(b) It has been flayed to ribbons.
(c) It has a few bruises.
(d) It is very strong.
12. In Chapter 10, whom does Phillip tell Timothy his mother does not like?
(a) Black people.
(b) Chinese people.
(c) Rich people.
13. In Chapter 7, what does Timothy say to Phillip to calm his fears?
(a) There is plenty of food and water on the island.
(b) He can see another island.
(c) He can see a ship.
(d) There is nothing to fear on the island.
14. What does Timothy agree to stop calling Phillip, and call him his real name instead?
(a) Young Boss.
15. In Chapter 11, what does Timothy tell Phillip he was doing on the north shore?
(a) Cutting fire wood.
(d) Looking for ships.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method do Timothy and Phillip use to mark time on the island?
2. While on the island, what serious illness does Timothy come down with?
3. How does Timothy act when he is ill in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 15, why are Phillip and Timothy naked?
5. How does Phillip know when it is late May?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)