|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the islanders call the Chinese crewmen when they refuse to sail?
2. How does Phillip's father feel about the prospect of the supply ships sailing again?
3. In Chapter 4, when Phillip wakes up in the dark after feeling ill, what time does Timothy tell him it is?
(a) 3 p.m.
(b) 10 a.m.
4. What is the destination of the ship Phillip and his mother leave the island on?
(a) New York.
5. How old is Phillip when the book begins?
6. Where does Phillip's father work?
(a) At a grocery store.
(b) On a ship.
(c) At the refinery.
(d) At the post office.
7. In Chapter 4, how old does Timothy tell Phillip he is?
(a) Around 30.
(b) Upwards of 80.
(c) Upwards of 60.
8. In Chapter 3, how much water does Timothy give Phillip when he first asks for it?
(a) As much as he can drink.
(b) A large cupful.
(c) A tiny cup.
(d) One sip.
9. In Chapter 4, what does Timothy tell Phillip is temporary?
(a) Their being stranded.
(b) Phillip's blindness.
(c) Timothy's fever.
(d) Stew's illness.
10. What type of ship is the S.S. Empire Tern?
(a) A fishing trawler.
(b) An armed tanker.
(c) A battleship.
(d) A submarine.
11. Who shows Phillip around the Tern?
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) The captain.
12. When the refinery shuts down, what are the Allies unable to get from the island?
13. After the incident with the Tern, what doesn't Phillip find exciting anymore?
(a) The harbor.
14. Who is Grace?
(a) Phillip's sister.
(b) Phillip's teacher.
(c) Phillip's mother.
(d) Henrik's mother.
15. What causes the S.S. Hato to sink?
(a) The engine malfunctions.
(b) It is bombed by an aircraft.
(c) It is torpedoed.
(d) It hits another ship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon discovering he is blind, who does Phillip call for?
2. What island does Henrik tell Phillip has been destroyed?
3. After Phillip goes blind, how long does Timothy tell him it will take him to regain his sight?
4. What does Phillip hide under his makeshift bed on the couch?
5. Who is Stew?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)