|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Off of what country's coast is the island Phillip and his parents live on at the beginning of the book?
2. What is the charge against the Chinese crewmen who refuse to sail?
3. Who is Stew?
(a) Timothy's cat.
(b) The cook.
(c) The cook's cat.
(d) The captain's dog.
4. When the refinery shuts down, what are the Allies unable to get from the island?
5. Who sends the S.S. Empire Tern to the island?
(a) The German Navy.
(b) The British Navy.
(c) The American Navy.
(d) The Chinese Navy.
6. In Chapter 3, what is Phillip doing when Timothy tells him he feels the same way, but there is nothing to be gained by it?
(a) Swimming away.
7. In Chapter 3, when Timothy and Phillip are on the raft, where does Timothy believe they are?
(a) Near Canada.
(b) Near Panama.
(c) Near the cays.
(d) Near Hawaii.
8. In Chapter 3, how much water does Timothy give Phillip when he first asks for it?
(a) One sip.
(b) As much as he can drink.
(c) A large cupful.
(d) A tiny cup.
9. How long has Phillip's family lived on the island as the book begins?
(a) Four years.
(b) Fifteen years.
(c) Six months.
(d) One year.
10. Where do Phillip and Henrik often spend time playing pirates?
(a) The ancient fort.
(b) The harbor.
(c) In Henrik's basement.
(d) In Phillip's back yard.
11. How does Phillip's father feel about the prospect of the supply ships sailing again?
12. What does Phillip hide under his makeshift bed on the couch?
(a) His report card.
(b) A hatchet.
(c) A gun.
(d) His baseball card collection.
13. In Chapter 4, how old does Timothy tell Phillip he is?
(a) Upwards of 80.
(b) Around 30.
(d) Upwards of 60.
14. What type of ship do the Chinese crewman refuse to sail on?
(b) Cruise ship.
(d) Oil tanker.
15. In Chapter 5, while Phillip and Timothy are on the raft, what does Timothy use to make a smoke signal?
(a) A leg from the lean to.
(b) Pieces of the water keg.
(c) A plank from the raft.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the incident with the Tern, what doesn't Phillip find exciting anymore?
2. How many passengers board the ship with Phillip and his mother to leave the island?
3. In Chapter 4, when Phillip wakes up in the dark after feeling ill, what time does Timothy tell him it is?
4. Why does Timothy warn Phillip to stay away from the edge of the raft?
5. When the supply ships stop sailing, what are the islanders worried about running out of?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)