|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appeal does Phillip make to his mother when she says she wants to leave the island?
(a) To get a dog when they return.
(b) To take Henrik with them.
(c) To take his father with them.
(d) To let him stay.
2. How many passengers board the ship with Phillip and his mother to leave the island?
3. At the beginning of the book, what is the name of the town where Phillip and his family live?
(d) Fort Curacao.
4. What does Timothy tell Phillip is missing from the cay?
(d) A source of water and inhabitants.
5. Where does Phillip think Timothy is from?
(d) South America.
6. What type of ship is the S.S. Empire Tern?
(a) An armed tanker.
(b) A fishing trawler.
(c) A battleship.
(d) A submarine.
7. What type of ship do the Chinese crewman refuse to sail on?
(a) Oil tanker.
(b) Cruise ship.
8. What is Phillip's father's name?
(a) Walter Van Boven.
(b) Joseph Smith
(c) Phillip Thomas.
(d) Phillip Enright, Sr.
9. On what island are Phillip and his parents living when the book starts?
(a) Bikini Islands.
(d) St. Thomas.
10. Where do Phillip and Henrik often spend time playing pirates?
(a) In Henrik's basement.
(b) The harbor.
(c) In Phillip's back yard.
(d) The ancient fort.
11. Upon discovering he is blind, who does Phillip call for?
(a) His mother.
(c) His father.
12. In Chapter 6, when Phillip reminds Timothy that they've spotted land, what returns to Timothy's voice?
13. What happens to Phillip when Timothy spots land?
(a) He trips over the water keg.
(b) He stumbles off the raft.
(c) He regains his sight.
(d) He falls and hits his head.
14. What island does Henrik tell Phillip has been destroyed?
(b) Easter Island.
(c) St. Thomas.
15. In Chapter 5, while Phillip and Timothy are on the raft, what does Timothy spot in the sky?
(a) A comet.
(b) Storm clouds.
(c) A flock of birds.
(d) An airplane.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, how much water does Timothy give Phillip when he first asks for it?
2. Where does Phillip's father work?
3. When the refinery shuts down, what are the Allies unable to get from the island?
4. What happens to the Tern as it sets sail?
5. According to Phillip's father, why can't the islanders fight the Germans?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)