Chapters 1 - 2
• German submarines come to patrol the island of Curacao, where 11-year-old Phillip lives with his father, Phillip Sr., and mother, Grace.
• Phillip and his best friend Henrik go to the harbor and find no cargo ships at sea; instead, the townsmen are armed at Willemstad's ancient fort.
• Phillip and Henrik are chased away from the harbor and go to the Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge where they discuss the prospect of war.
• An army officer tells the boys to leave the bridge because they are within range of the torpedoes on the German submarines.
• When Phillip arrives home, he asks his father questions about the submarines and Grace expresses her unhappiness about living in Curacao.
• When Phillip Sr. returns to work at the refinery, Grace and Phillip make their beds downstairs for safety.
• Phillip overhears his parents discussing Grace and Phillip leaving Curacao. Phillip Sr. says it...
This section contains 1,708 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)