|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sandy meet Jim?
2. What type of career does Birdie claim her fictitious Grandfather Goldman held?
3. In Chapter 13, where do Jim, Sandy, Birdie, and Mona go on a vacation trip?
4. What name is on Aunt Dot's mailbox?
5. Where does Sandy decide Birdie should go in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Exu and why does Birdie pray to him?
2. How does Birdie finance her trip to California?
3. What happens to Birdie and Sandy's relationship after Birdie moves to Boston?
4. Why does Birdie feel betrayed by Sandy in Chapter 13?
5. Why do the girls in New Hampshire make fun of Birdie in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Birdie imagine she is doing a school report for her old Nkrumah school?
7. Why won't Sandy allow Birdie to try and contact Deck and Cole in Brazil?
8. Why is Birdie taunted by a group of boys in Chapter 12?
9. How does Ronnie Parkman help Birdie find her father?
10. How does Nicholas offend Birdie in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Birdie's inability to tell the truth. How does she develop the habit of lying and what effect does this habit have on her character? What event motivates Birdie to begin speaking the truth and what might this foreshadow for her character?
Essay Topic 2
Caucasia is filled with ironies relating to race and cultural acceptance. List examples of irony found in the novel and note how these situations affect the characters. How is irony linked to the subjects of racism, acceptance, and relationships in the novel? How do these ironic situations affect the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Birdie find acceptance in the novel? What role does education, family, and friendships play in her quest for acceptance? What role does race and color play in her acceptance? Where does Birdie find acceptance, and why? What might this acceptance foreshadow for her future?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)