|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 17, which character does Birdie meet in the park?
2. Who is Samantha?
3. Which language does Birdie use while praying?
4. In Chapter 9, which character does Sandy blame for the break up of her family and her "persecution"?
5. What does Birdie take from her mother's box of mementos?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Birdie attempt to find her father and Cole in Chapter 16?
2. Why is Birdie taunted by a group of boys in Chapter 12?
3. How does Birdie finance her trip to California?
4. What reaction does Birdie expect her mother to have about her absence?
5. Why won't Sandy allow Birdie to try and contact Deck and Cole in Brazil?
6. Why does Jim scold Birdie for lying?
7. Why does Birdie imagine she is doing a school report for her old Nkrumah school?
8. Describe Birdie's conversation with Samantha at Dennis' party.
9. Who is Exu and why does Birdie pray to him?
10. What does Birdie do after Dennis' party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the physical, social, and emotional effects of Birdie's time spent in hiding? How does Sandy's insistence that Birdie pass as a white Jewish girl affect Birdie's character development? How does Birdie's forced secret identity affect her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Birdie's relationship to Nicholas. What lesson does Sandy teach Birdie about men and how does Nicholas fit into that lesson? What role does race play in Birdie's relationship with Nicholas? How might their relationship change once Birdie has established a life in Berkeley?
Essay Topic 3
What is the value placed on skin color in the novel? How does skin color relate to racial perceptions and attitudes? How does the attitude prevalent towards skin color in the novel affect the education, social acceptance, and emotional well-being of the characters in the novel? How might perceptions about skin color affect Birdie's future children? Cole's future children?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)