|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Birdie suspicious of Jim?
2. What does Birdie notice about her mother's hair in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Deck leave Brazil?
4. While at a party, which character does Birdie meet in the woods?
5. Which character offers Birdie a ride home from town in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Samantha.
2. How does Birdie attempt to find her father and Cole in Chapter 16?
3. Describe Birdie's trip to New York in Chapter 13.
4. Why won't Sandy allow Birdie to try and contact Deck and Cole in Brazil?
5. Describe Birdie's conversation with Samantha at Dennis' party.
6. What mementos does Birdie find stashed in her mother's room?
7. Why do the girls in New Hampshire make fun of Birdie in Chapter 9?
8. How does Birdie endanger her and Sandy's cover story?
9. What does Birdie do after Dennis' party?
10. Why does Birdie feel betrayed by Sandy in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Birdie's comment that she must kill Jesse in order to set herself free. What does Jesse represent to Birdie? What motivates Birdie to eliminate Jesse? How will losing Jesse affect Birdie's relationships with her friends in New Hampshire? What might it foreshadow for her future?
Essay Topic 2
How does Birdie find acceptance in the novel? What role does education, family, and friendships play in her quest for acceptance? What role does race and color play in her acceptance? Where does Birdie find acceptance, and why? What might this acceptance foreshadow for her future?
Essay Topic 3
What is the value placed on skin color in the novel? How does skin color relate to racial perceptions and attitudes? How does the attitude prevalent towards skin color in the novel affect the education, social acceptance, and emotional well-being of the characters in the novel? How might perceptions about skin color affect Birdie's future children? Cole's future children?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)