|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the taunting boys throw at Birdie in Chapter 12?
2. Which god does Birdie pray to in Chapter 12?
3. Why is Nicholas expelled from his private school?
4. Who is Alexis?
5. What does Nicholas claim to have done in Amsterdam?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jim?
2. What mementos does Birdie find stashed in her mother's room?
3. Describe Birdie's trip to New York in Chapter 13.
4. How does Birdie attempt to find her father and Cole in Chapter 16?
5. Why does Jim scold Birdie for lying?
6. What does Birdie do after Dennis' party?
7. Describe Samantha.
8. Why won't Sandy allow Birdie to try and contact Deck and Cole in Brazil?
9. What happens to Birdie and Sandy's relationship after Birdie moves to Boston?
10. How does Ronnie Parkman help Birdie find her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the physical, social, and emotional effects of Birdie's time spent in hiding? How does Sandy's insistence that Birdie pass as a white Jewish girl affect Birdie's character development? How does Birdie's forced secret identity affect her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Birdie's relationship to Nicholas. What lesson does Sandy teach Birdie about men and how does Nicholas fit into that lesson? What role does race play in Birdie's relationship with Nicholas? How might their relationship change once Birdie has established a life in Berkeley?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Birdie's inability to tell the truth. How does she develop the habit of lying and what effect does this habit have on her character? What event motivates Birdie to begin speaking the truth and what might this foreshadow for her character?
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)