|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Deck Lee offended by the interracial couple in Chapter 3?
2. Where does Birdie find the Egyptian necklace?
3. Who is Carmen?
4. What does Cole do to try and fit in with the students at her private school?
5. What make-up ritual do Sandy and Deck typically have after an argument?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Birdie identify most closely with her black heritage?
2. Why does Birdie have to change her name and racial identity?
3. Why does Birdie grieve over her Aunt Dot's move to India?
4. Why do Birdie and Cole have difficulty fitting into school society at Nkrumah?
5. According to Sandy, what is a WASP?
6. Who is Mr. Golliwog?
7. How does Sandy finance her flight from the FBI?
8. Describe Cole Lee.
9. Why does Sandy request that the entire family move to Canada?
10. What is in the present that Deck and Cole leave for Birdie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Sandy's development of paranoia after she and Deck separate. How does Sandy's paranoia motivate her? What effect does it have on other characters and how do they react to Sandy? Is her paranoia genuine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sandy and Deck's attempts to promote racial equality. How does Deck plan to change perceptions of race? How does Sandy plan to change perceptions of race? How do their actions and attitudes affect their children, their families, and their own characters? What might Deck be trying to prove? What might Sandy be trying to prove?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Birdie and Cole's secret language. Why might they have felt it necessary to develop the language? How does it bind them in the beginning of the novel and how is it used later in the novel? What does it represent to the biracial sisters?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)