|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book the Lodge family ancestor wrote?
2. When do Sandy and Deck meet?
3. Who is Carmen?
4. How does Deck know the Harvard professor?
5. What does Cole do to try and fit in with the students at her private school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Birdie's ride on Mr. Pleasure in Chapter 8.
2. Why does Birdie grieve over her Aunt Dot's move to India?
3. Describe Cole Lee.
4. What happens in Sandy's basement after she and Deck separate?
5. How do Birdie and Cole learn to fit into school society at Nkrumah?
6. Describe Sandy Lee.
7. Why does Sandy tell Deck he is like Grandma Lodge in blackface?
8. Why do Birdie and Cole have difficulty fitting into school society at Nkrumah?
9. What is Deck's theory about ethnic restaurants?
10. Who is Mr. Golliwog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the physical, social, and emotional effects of Birdie's time spent in hiding? How does Sandy's insistence that Birdie pass as a white Jewish girl affect Birdie's character development? How does Birdie's forced secret identity affect her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Birdie's relationship to Nicholas. What lesson does Sandy teach Birdie about men and how does Nicholas fit into that lesson? What role does race play in Birdie's relationship with Nicholas? How might their relationship change once Birdie has established a life in Berkeley?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of WASPs in the novel? How does Sandy identify a WASP? What ironies are evident in her description? How does Sandy's perceptions of WASPs affect both her and Birdie's characters?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)