|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offensive name does Carmen begin calling Birdie?
2. In the Prologue, why does Birdie feel like she is nobody?
3. Why does Sandy want to stop running and settle down?
4. Which character teases Birdie about giving the "black is beautiful" salute at school?
5. In Chapter 8, why does Nicholas go outside his home one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Deck and Sandy meet?
2. What is Deck's theory about ethnic restaurants?
3. Why do Deck and Sandy argue about their daughters' schooling?
4. Why does a white couple call the police on Deck when he and Birdie are alone together in the park?
5. According to Sandy, what is a WASP?
6. How do Birdie and Cole learn to fit into school society at Nkrumah?
7. How does Deck begin to view interracial couples after he and Sandy separate?
8. What happens in Sandy's basement after she and Deck separate?
9. Why do Birdie and Cole have difficulty fitting into school society at Nkrumah?
10. Why does Sandy dye her hair copper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Birdie's perceived race affect her status in society? What strengths will she need to develop as an adult in order to thrive in American society? How might living in Berkeley affect her outlook on people of mixed race?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Sandy's development of paranoia after she and Deck separate. How does Sandy's paranoia motivate her? What effect does it have on other characters and how do they react to Sandy? Is her paranoia genuine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Mr. Golliwog. What does he symbolize to Sandy? What does he symbolize to Grandma Logan? What does he symbolize to Cole and Birdie? How does Deck's renaming of the doll affect the reader's view of its purpose?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)