|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group does Maria invite Birdie to be a part of?
2. How are Birdie and Cole similar?
3. In Chapter 8, why does Nicholas go outside his home one night?
4. Where does Sandy decide to settle at the end of Chapter 7?
5. Why can't Birdie and Cole attend the first day of public school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sandy dye her hair copper?
2. Describe the peek-a-boo game that Sandy plays with her daughters.
3. Why is Sandy angry that Birdie went horseback riding at night?
4. Why does Sandy tell Deck he is like Grandma Lodge in blackface?
5. How do Deck and Sandy meet?
6. Describe Sandy's efforts to find a school for her daughters.
7. Who is Mr. Golliwog?
8. Once Sandy decides to end her transient wanderings, where do she and Birdie settle down?
9. Why does a white couple call the police on Deck when he and Birdie are alone together in the park?
10. Describe Sandy and Birdie's new identities.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the significance of Birdie's relationship to Nicholas. What lesson does Sandy teach Birdie about men and how does Nicholas fit into that lesson? What role does race play in Birdie's relationship with Nicholas? How might their relationship change once Birdie has established a life in Berkeley?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the time period in which Birdie and her mother lived in motels and communes. What motivates Sandy to make the choice to live such a transient lifestyle? How does transient living affect Birdie's education and character development? What motivates Sandy to settle down and how does that decision affect Birdie's character?
Essay Topic 3
What is the value placed on skin color in the novel? How does skin color relate to racial perceptions and attitudes? How does the attitude prevalent towards skin color in the novel affect the education, social acceptance, and emotional well-being of the characters in the novel? How might perceptions about skin color affect Birdie's future children? Cole's future children?
This section contains 1,127 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)