|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Birdie invited to be a part of Maria's group?
2. What types of food are Sandy and Birdie used to eating?
3. Who is Bernadette?
4. How does Sandy earn money once her funds run out?
5. When do Sandy and Deck meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Birdie schooled while she and Sandy are on the road?
2. What is in the present that Deck and Cole leave for Birdie?
3. Why does Sandy dye her hair copper?
4. What is Deck's theory about ethnic restaurants?
5. Describe Birdie and Cole's relationship.
6. Why do Birdie and Cole have difficulty fitting into school society at Nkrumah?
7. Describe Sandy and Birdie's new identities.
8. What erratic behavior does Sandy begin to display after she and Deck separate?
9. How does Deck begin to view interracial couples after he and Sandy separate?
10. How do Birdie and Cole learn to fit into school society at Nkrumah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Birdie and Cole's secret language. Why might they have felt it necessary to develop the language? How does it bind them in the beginning of the novel and how is it used later in the novel? What does it represent to the biracial sisters?
Essay Topic 2
Caucasia is filled with ironies relating to race and cultural acceptance. List examples of irony found in the novel and note how these situations affect the characters. How is irony linked to the subjects of racism, acceptance, and relationships in the novel? How do these ironic situations affect the characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Birdie's inability to tell the truth. How does she develop the habit of lying and what effect does this habit have on her character? What event motivates Birdie to begin speaking the truth and what might this foreshadow for her character?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)