|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sandy want to stop running and settle down?
2. Who is Sandy Lee?
3. Why does Sandy believe she is about to be arrested?
4. How does Cole react to her father's comments about the interracial couple in Chapter 3?
5. Why does the school clerk want to assign Birdie and Cole to different public schools?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Birdie's ride on Mr. Pleasure in Chapter 8.
2. Once Sandy decides to end her transient wanderings, where do she and Birdie settle down?
3. Describe Cole Lee.
4. Why does Sandy tell Deck he is like Grandma Lodge in blackface?
5. What happens in Sandy's basement after she and Deck separate?
6. Who is Mr. Golliwog?
7. How does Deck begin to view interracial couples after he and Sandy separate?
8. How do Deck and Sandy meet?
9. Why does Sandy dye her hair copper?
10. How is Birdie schooled while she and Sandy are on the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the physical, social, and emotional effects of Birdie's time spent in hiding? How does Sandy's insistence that Birdie pass as a white Jewish girl affect Birdie's character development? How does Birdie's forced secret identity affect her relationship with her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the significance of Birdie's box of "negrobilia". What does the box originally contain and what types of items does Birdie add to it over the years? Why do Deck and Cole give Birdie the box? What is the significance of the negrobilia to Birdie?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of WASPs in the novel? How does Sandy identify a WASP? What ironies are evident in her description? How does Sandy's perceptions of WASPs affect both her and Birdie's characters?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)