|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim scold Birdie for in Chapter 9?
(a) Being argumentative.
(b) Running away.
2. Which other character, besides Nicholas, has Birdie made out with in the past?
3. What type of career does Sandy claim Grandfather Goldman held?
(a) A newspaper editor.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A high school history teacher.
(d) A lawyer.
4. Where does Sandy meet Jim?
(a) In the Marsh's garden.
(b) In a grocery store.
(c) In the barn.
(d) In a bar.
5. Why does Deck leave Brazil?
(a) He encountered more racism there than in the United States.
(b) He could not make any money selling his book.
(c) He was offered a teaching position at Berkeley.
(d) Cole was unhappy living in Brazil.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Nicholas in Chapter 10?
2. Who hosts the party that Mona and Birdie attend in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 12, where does Nicholas spend his summer?
4. In the beginning of Chapter 17, which character does Birdie meet in the park?
5. What do Birdie and Nicholas smoke in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jim?
2. What does Birdie do after Dennis' party?
3. How does Birdie endanger her and Sandy's cover story?
4. Why do the girls in New Hampshire make fun of Birdie in Chapter 9?
5. Describe Birdie's conversation with Samantha at Dennis' party.
6. What reaction does Birdie expect her mother to have about her absence?
7. How is the class difference between Birdie and Nicholas demonstrated in the novel?
8. Why does Jim scold Birdie for lying?
9. Why is Birdie taunted by a group of boys in Chapter 12?
10. How does Nicholas offend Birdie in Chapter 10?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)