|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which god does Birdie pray to in Chapter 12?
2. In Chapter 13, where do Jim, Sandy, Birdie, and Mona go on a vacation trip?
(b) New York.
(c) New Haven.
3. In Chapter 12, where does Nicholas spend his summer?
(d) In the Marsh's garden.
4. What does Birdie notice about her mother's hair in Chapter 14?
(a) It is very different from her own hair.
(b) Sandy has stopped dyeing her hair.
(c) It is turning gray.
(d) Sandy has cut her hair short.
5. Why does Deck leave Brazil?
(a) He could not make any money selling his book.
(b) He encountered more racism there than in the United States.
(c) Cole was unhappy living in Brazil.
(d) He was offered a teaching position at Berkeley.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Birdie tell her Aunt Dot where Sandy is living?
2. Why does Ali lie about his father?
3. Who is Jim?
4. In Chapter 11, why does Birdie call information in Boston?
5. What type of career does Sandy claim Grandfather Goldman held?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim scold Birdie for lying?
2. How is the class difference between Birdie and Nicholas demonstrated in the novel?
3. Who is Exu and why does Birdie pray to him?
4. What happens to Birdie and Sandy's relationship after Birdie moves to Boston?
5. How does Birdie attempt to find her father and Cole in Chapter 16?
6. Describe Samantha.
7. Why does Birdie imagine she is doing a school report for her old Nkrumah school?
8. How does Nicholas offend Birdie in Chapter 10?
9. Why won't Sandy allow Birdie to try and contact Deck and Cole in Brazil?
10. What mementos does Birdie find stashed in her mother's room?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)