|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Carmen?
(a) Grandma Logan's maid.
(b) Cole's new teacher.
(c) Deck's new girlfriend.
(d) Birdie's best friend in Boston.
2. What false identity does Sandy claim when speaking to Walter Marsh?
(a) A freelance writer.
(b) A former high school history teacher.
(c) A widowed society wife.
(d) A widowed professor's wife.
3. What does Cole do to try and fit in with the students at her private school?
(a) She wears her hair in a thick braid and gets her ears pierced.
(b) She skips school and hangs out near the park.
(c) She joins the cheerleading squad.
(d) She wears lipstick and has her hair braided into small braids.
4. How does Sandy earn money once her funds run out?
(a) By working in a convenience store.
(b) By tutoring dyslexic children.
(c) By shoplifting.
(d) By working at the front desk of Motel 6.
5. What type of paper is used to wrap Birdie's gift?
(a) Christmas paper.
(b) The Sunday comics.
(c) Birthday paper.
(d) White butcher paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Deck and Cole plan to travel to?
2. What type of mask does Sandy wear when playing with her daughters in Chapter 3?
3. How does Sandy know the Harvard professor?
4. Why does Sandy believe she is about to be arrested?
5. Why does Sandy want to stop running and settle down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Deck and Sandy meet?
2. Why does Sandy tell Deck he is like Grandma Lodge in blackface?
3. What is in the present that Deck and Cole leave for Birdie?
4. Why do Birdie and Cole have difficulty fitting into school society at Nkrumah?
5. Describe Sandy's encounter with Redbone in Chapter 4.
6. Describe Birdie Lee.
7. Why does Birdie have to change her name and racial identity?
8. Describe Cole Lee.
9. What happens in Sandy's basement after she and Deck separate?
10. What is Deck's theory about ethnic restaurants?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)