|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of items are in Birdie's present?
(a) Reminders of her childhood.
(b) Childhood toys and drawings.
(c) Photos of Deck, Cole, and Birdie.
(d) Reminders of her African-American heritage.
2. What does Cole do to try and fit in with the students at her private school?
(a) She joins the cheerleading squad.
(b) She skips school and hangs out near the park.
(c) She wears her hair in a thick braid and gets her ears pierced.
(d) She wears lipstick and has her hair braided into small braids.
3. What false identity does Sandy claim when speaking to Walter Marsh?
(a) A former high school history teacher.
(b) A freelance writer.
(c) A widowed professor's wife.
(d) A widowed society wife.
4. What make-up ritual do Sandy and Deck typically have after an argument?
(a) Slow dancing to Barry White, a bottle of vodka, and chips.
(b) Gin and tonic and a game of cards.
(c) A bottle of red wine, a carton of noodles, and Al Green music.
(d) Pizza, screwdrivers, and Nat King Cole.
5. Which character does Birdie compare Sandy to in Chapter 6?
(b) Billie Holiday.
(c) Barbara Walters.
(d) Grandma Lodge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What items does Sandy shoplift in Chapter 3?
2. How are Birdie and Cole similar?
3. Why does the school clerk want to assign Birdie and Cole to different public schools?
4. What fear does Sandy develop in Chapter 3?
5. What strange items are placed in Sandy's basement in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Birdie and Cole learn to fit into school society at Nkrumah?
2. How does Deck begin to view interracial couples after he and Sandy separate?
3. Once Sandy decides to end her transient wanderings, where do she and Birdie settle down?
4. Why does Cole give Birdie Golliwog?
5. Describe the peek-a-boo game that Sandy plays with her daughters.
6. Who is Mr. Golliwog?
7. How does Sandy finance her flight from the FBI?
8. What erratic behavior does Sandy begin to display after she and Deck separate?
9. Why does Birdie identify most closely with her black heritage?
10. Why do Birdie and Cole have difficulty fitting into school society at Nkrumah?
This section contains 1,151 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)