|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Birdie go to school in Chapter 7?
(a) She is home schooled.
(b) South Boston Junior High.
2. How much older than Birdie is Cole?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 8 years.
3. Who is Sandy Lee?
(a) A white intellectual mother and writer.
(b) A white mother and lawyer.
(c) A white Brahmin mother and political activist.
(d) A black Harvard professor.
4. What does Birdie think that Sandy needs to buy in Chapter 8?
(a) A new outfit.
(b) More food.
(c) A new house.
(d) A new car.
5. Who has been using Sandy and Deck's second floor guestroom in Chapter 1?
(a) Sandy's mother.
(b) Different groups of strangers.
(c) College students.
(d) Deck's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the snapshot stuck in the encyclopedia show?
2. What false identity does Sandy claim when speaking to Walter Marsh?
3. What item does Cole wear at the end of Chapter 5 as she leaves Birdie a present?
4. Why doesn't Sandy believe she is making Birdie "pass"?
5. In the Prologue, why does Birdie feel like she is nobody?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Birdie and Cole have difficulty fitting into school society at Nkrumah?
2. What erratic behavior does Sandy begin to display after she and Deck separate?
3. Describe Cole Lee.
4. Describe the peek-a-boo game that Sandy plays with her daughters.
5. How does Deck begin to view interracial couples after he and Sandy separate?
6. Why does Birdie have to change her name and racial identity?
7. Why does Birdie identify most closely with her black heritage?
8. Describe Sandy and Birdie's new identities.
9. Describe Sandy's efforts to find a school for her daughters.
10. Once Sandy decides to end her transient wanderings, where do she and Birdie settle down?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)