|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Taj?
(a) Aunt Dot's daughter.
(b) Aunt Dot's son.
(c) Aunt Dot's Pekingese.
(d) Aunt Dot's husband.
2. What type of music does Birdie enjoy hearing while on vacation?
(a) The Blues.
(b) Rap music.
(d) Black Gospel.
3. What type of career does Sandy claim Grandfather Goldman held?
(a) A lawyer.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A high school history teacher.
(d) A newspaper editor.
4. What does Jim falsely claim to be at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Sandy's brother.
(b) Birdie's father.
(c) Birdie's uncle.
(d) Birdie's brother.
5. Which god does Birdie pray to in Chapter 12?
6. Why is Nicholas expelled from his private school?
(a) For having an affair with his English teacher.
(b) For mooning the headmistress.
(c) For cheating.
(d) For stealing from the school office.
7. Who is Samantha?
(a) The only dark-skinned biracial girl at school.
(b) The leader of Birdie's new group of friends.
(c) The Marsh's new maid.
(d) Nicholas' new girlfriend.
8. How does Ali's father know Deck?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) He is Deck's publisher.
(c) They worked together at Berkeley.
(d) They were best friends.
9. What does Jim scold Birdie for in Chapter 9?
(a) Running away.
(c) Being argumentative.
10. Who is Alexis?
(a) Nicholas' girlfriend.
(b) The Marsh's maid.
(c) Birdie's best friend from Aurora.
(d) Birdie's first friend in New Hampshire.
11. In Chapter 11, why does Birdie call information in Boston?
(a) To find her father's phone number.
(b) To find Aunt Dot's phone number.
(c) To locate a private investigator.
(d) To locate the Boston Police Department.
12. What does Birdie decide to do at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) Move in with Mona.
(b) Leave Sandy and try to find Deck and Cole.
(c) Move in with Nicholas.
(d) Color her hair.
13. What does Birdie look at while she wanders the streets of town in Chapter 9?
(a) An African mask in a store window.
(b) All the white people.
(c) Prom dresses in store windows.
(d) Candy bars in store windows.
14. Why does Sandy drop a jar of jam in the store?
(a) She is shocked to see a black girl with a white mother.
(b) It slips from her trembling fingers.
(c) She is shocked to see Cole.
(d) Redbone suddenly appears in front of her.
15. What does Birdie notice about her mother's hair in Chapter 14?
(a) Sandy has stopped dyeing her hair.
(b) It is turning gray.
(c) Sandy has cut her hair short.
(d) It is very different from her own hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jim?
2. In Chapter 9, which character does Sandy blame for the break up of her family and her "persecution"?
3. What does Birdie do that sparks a racial confrontation in Chapter 13?
4. What does Corvette help Birdie do?
5. Which other character, besides Nicholas, has Birdie made out with in the past?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)