|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Taj?
(a) Aunt Dot's daughter.
(b) Aunt Dot's Pekingese.
(c) Aunt Dot's son.
(d) Aunt Dot's husband.
2. Who is Jim?
(a) Birdie's new boyfriend.
(b) Walter Marsh's gardener.
(c) Sandy's new lover.
(d) Nicholas' father.
3. Which other character, besides Nicholas, has Birdie made out with in the past?
4. Why won't Sandy allow Birdie to contact Deck and Cole?
(a) She is afraid the FBI will capture them.
(b) Because she is afraid of Deck.
(c) She knows that Deck does not want to see Birdie.
(d) Because she wants to hurt Deck.
5. In Chapter 11, why does Birdie call information in Boston?
(a) To find her father's phone number.
(b) To find Aunt Dot's phone number.
(c) To locate a private investigator.
(d) To locate the Boston Police Department.
6. What does Jim scold Birdie for in Chapter 9?
(a) Running away.
(c) Being argumentative.
7. Where does Sandy meet Jim?
(a) In a grocery store.
(b) In the Marsh's garden.
(c) In a bar.
(d) In the barn.
8. In Chapter 12, why is Birdie taunted by the boys in town?
(a) Because they think she is black.
(b) Because she dresses poorly.
(c) Because they think she is Jewish.
(d) Because she is with Samantha.
9. Who is Samantha?
(a) Nicholas' new girlfriend.
(b) The only dark-skinned biracial girl at school.
(c) The Marsh's new maid.
(d) The leader of Birdie's new group of friends.
10. What sad realization does Birdie come to at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) She will never be "black enough" for African-American society.
(b) Deck and Cole are never coming back for her.
(c) Sandy has always loved her the most because her skin is light.
(d) Sandy and Deck have always loved Cole more because her skin is dark.
11. What does Sandy discover has happened to Nkrumah school in Chapter 16?
(a) It burned.
(b) It is now a public school.
(c) It was bought by Berkeley.
(d) It has closed.
12. What does Birdie find in Aunt Dot's living room?
(a) The Egyptian necklace.
(b) A photograph of Deck, Cole, and Carmen.
(c) The African mask.
(d) A postcard from Deck.
13. What object of Samantha's is in Birdie's special box?
(a) A postcard from Boston.
(b) A photograph of Birdie and Samantha at the beach.
(c) One of Samantha's hairs.
(d) Samantha's necklace.
14. Which character does Dot call at the beginning of Chapter 16?
(d) Grandma Logan.
15. How does Ali's father know Deck?
(a) They are brothers.
(b) They worked together at Berkeley.
(c) They were best friends.
(d) He is Deck's publisher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Birdie trade her Grandma Lodge in exchange for the funds to travel to California?
2. What does Birdie take from her mother's box of mementos?
3. While at a party, which character does Birdie meet in the woods?
4. What does Birdie tell the police officer about her relationship with Sandy?
5. What does Birdie notice about her mother's hair in Chapter 14?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)