|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the beginning of Chapter 17, which character does Birdie meet in the park?
2. What does Nicholas claim to have done in Amsterdam?
(a) Seen a transvestite.
(b) Sleep with a prostitute.
(c) Drank beer.
(d) Stolen a bicycle.
3. What does Birdie notice about her mother's hair in Chapter 14?
(a) It is very different from her own hair.
(b) It is turning gray.
(c) Sandy has stopped dyeing her hair.
(d) Sandy has cut her hair short.
4. According to Ronnie Parkman, how long do Deck and Cole stay in Brazil?
(a) Six months.
(b) Two years.
(c) Two months.
(d) Five years.
5. What excuse does Birdie give Ali for being away for so many years?
(a) That Sandy was working for the government.
(b) That Grandma Lodge sent her away to boarding school.
(c) That she was exploring Africa with Sandy.
(d) That she was in Brazil.
6. What does Jim falsely claim to be at the end of Chapter 9?
(a) Birdie's father.
(b) Sandy's brother.
(c) Birdie's brother.
(d) Birdie's uncle.
7. In Chapter 12, why is Birdie taunted by the boys in town?
(a) Because they think she is black.
(b) Because she is with Samantha.
(c) Because they think she is Jewish.
(d) Because she dresses poorly.
8. In Chapter 10, why type of report does Birdie imagine she is doing research for?
(a) An article for Ebony magazine.
(b) A newspaper article on white people.
(c) A report on FBI spy techniques.
(d) A school report on white people.
9. Why do Birdie and Nicholas become such close friends?
(a) They both love horses.
(b) Neither one of them really "fit-in".
(c) Both have unhappy home lives.
(d) They are both biracial.
10. What do Birdie and Nicholas smoke in Chapter 10?
(b) A ham.
11. Who is Taj?
(a) Aunt Dot's son.
(b) Aunt Dot's Pekingese.
(c) Aunt Dot's husband.
(d) Aunt Dot's daughter.
12. In Chapter 9, why do the girls in town tease Birdie?
(a) Because they think she is Jewish.
(b) Because her clothes are old and sloppy.
(c) Because she is new.
(d) She looks a bit too dark for their liking.
13. What sad realization does Birdie come to at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Sandy has always loved her the most because her skin is light.
(b) Deck and Cole are never coming back for her.
(c) Sandy and Deck have always loved Cole more because her skin is dark.
(d) She will never be "black enough" for African-American society.
14. Where do Jim, Sandy, Birdie, and Mona get lost when returning from vacation?
(a) New Jersey.
(b) New Haven.
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New York City.
15. What does Birdie do that sparks a racial confrontation in Chapter 13?
(a) She stares at a Puerto Rican boy.
(b) She talks to a Puerto Rican boy through the car window.
(c) She waves at a black boy.
(d) She sticks her tongue out at a black boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sandy drop a jar of jam in the store?
2. Why does Birdie go to the woods to urinate in Chapter 14?
3. What do the taunting boys throw at Birdie in Chapter 12?
4. Which language does Birdie use while praying?
5. In Chapter 9, which character does Sandy blame for the break up of her family and her "persecution"?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)