|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Birdie trade her Grandma Lodge in exchange for the funds to travel to California?
(a) A postcard from Sandy.
(b) A postcard from Deck.
(c) A fictitious address for Sandy.
(d) Sandy's cell phone number.
2. Why is Nicholas expelled from his private school?
(a) For mooning the headmistress.
(b) For cheating.
(c) For stealing from the school office.
(d) For having an affair with his English teacher.
3. Who is waiting for Birdie in front of Dot's apartment at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) Deck and Cole.
(b) A Boston police officer.
(d) Jim and Sandy.
4. Why doesn't Birdie tell her Aunt Dot where Sandy is living?
(a) She is concerned Aunt Dot might be working with the feds.
(b) She is afraid Aunt Dot will contact Sandy.
(c) Sandy is still afraid of Deck.
(d) She does not want to tell Aunt Dot about Jim.
5. What does Corvette help Birdie do?
(a) Find Deck's apartment.
(b) Cash a check.
(c) Find Aunt Dot's apartment.
(d) Read a map.
6. In Chapter 10, why type of report does Birdie imagine she is doing research for?
(a) A newspaper article on white people.
(b) A report on FBI spy techniques.
(c) A school report on white people.
(d) An article for Ebony magazine.
7. What does Jim scold Birdie for in Chapter 9?
(a) Running away.
(d) Being argumentative.
8. Why does Sandy drop a jar of jam in the store?
(a) Redbone suddenly appears in front of her.
(b) It slips from her trembling fingers.
(c) She is shocked to see Cole.
(d) She is shocked to see a black girl with a white mother.
9. Who is Samantha?
(a) Nicholas' new girlfriend.
(b) The only dark-skinned biracial girl at school.
(c) The leader of Birdie's new group of friends.
(d) The Marsh's new maid.
10. What does Birdie take from her mother's box of mementos?
(a) Her great grandmother's wedding ring.
(b) A photo of her father and Cole.
(c) A postcard from Aunt Dot.
(d) The Egyptian necklace.
11. Why won't Sandy allow Birdie to contact Deck and Cole?
(a) She knows that Deck does not want to see Birdie.
(b) Because she is afraid of Deck.
(c) Because she wants to hurt Deck.
(d) She is afraid the FBI will capture them.
12. In Chapter 9, why do the girls in town tease Birdie?
(a) Because they think she is Jewish.
(b) Because she is new.
(c) She looks a bit too dark for their liking.
(d) Because her clothes are old and sloppy.
13. Which other character, besides Nicholas, has Birdie made out with in the past?
14. Where does Sandy meet Jim?
(a) In the Marsh's garden.
(b) In a bar.
(c) In a grocery store.
(d) In the barn.
15. In Chapter 9, which character does Sandy blame for the break up of her family and her "persecution"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Deck insult Ronnie Parkman?
2. What name is on Aunt Dot's mailbox?
3. What does Birdie do that sparks a racial confrontation in Chapter 13?
4. Which god does Birdie pray to in Chapter 12?
5. What does Nicholas claim to have done in Amsterdam?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)