|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Cole react to her father's comments about the interracial couple in Chapter 3?
(a) She ignores him.
(b) She cries.
(c) She chides him for being too sensitive.
(d) She takes their picture.
2. Why is Sandy angry at the end of Chapter 8?
(a) Because Birdie was with a white boy.
(b) Because Mr. Marsh accused Birdie of stealing his yellow roses.
(c) Because Birdie did not come home until morning.
(d) Because she thought the feds had captured Birdie.
3. What items does Sandy shoplift in Chapter 3?
(a) A pack of sodas.
(b) Two dolls.
(c) Two chocolate bars.
(d) Two pairs of gloves.
4. Why can't Birdie and Cole attend the first day of public school?
(a) Sandy refuses to let the girls go to school.
(b) They are both sick with the flu.
(c) The bus can't get through due to riotous demonstrations.
(d) Boston is covered in snow.
5. What is the name of the book the Lodge family ancestor wrote?
(a) The Wonders of the Invisible World.
(b) A Tale of Two Cities.
(c) The Raven.
(d) Huckleberry Finn.
6. How much older than Birdie is Cole?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 10 years.
(d) 3 years.
7. What does Sandy do with the girls on the day she keeps them out of school in Chapter 3?
(a) They drive to New York and see a Broadway show.
(b) They visit their Grandma Logan.
(c) They eat pizza and watch old movies.
(d) They go to Concord and visit sites of literary significance.
8. Who is Deck Lee?
(a) A black father and lawyer.
(b) A white intellectual father and writer.
(c) A black intellectual father and writer.
(d) A black Harvard professor.
9. Where do Sandy and Birdie live for four years after they leave their home?
(a) In New Hampshire.
(b) In Aurora, New York.
(c) Near Woodstock.
(d) In motels and communes.
10. Which famous author is the Lodge family related to?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Cotton Mather.
(d) Mark Twain.
11. What does Birdie miss listening to in Chapter 8?
(a) Black music like Barry White.
(b) The sounds of the city.
(c) Billie Holiday and the Blues.
(d) Her sister's voice.
12. Where do Cole and her father run to?
13. Which character does Cole stay with after the dinner in Chapter 5?
(b) Grandma Logan.
14. How does Carmen treat Cole?
(a) She is friendly and fixes Cole's hair.
(b) She is rude and makes cutting remarks about Deck.
(c) She ignores Cole completely.
(d) She is kind and teaches Cole how to drive.
15. What make-up ritual do Sandy and Deck typically have after an argument?
(a) Slow dancing to Barry White, a bottle of vodka, and chips.
(b) A bottle of red wine, a carton of noodles, and Al Green music.
(c) Pizza, screwdrivers, and Nat King Cole.
(d) Gin and tonic and a game of cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What culture is Birdie forced to adopt in her teen years?
2. How does Sandy change physically once she goes "on the run"?
3. Why doesn't Sandy want Birdie to attend Deck's preferred school?
4. What item does Cole place in Birdie's bed in Chapter 5?
5. Why doesn't Deck want to leave with Sandy?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)