|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What strange items are placed in Sandy's basement in Chapter 4?
(a) Cardboard boxes full of paper.
(b) Short brown packages that resemble books.
(c) Long black packages that resemble guns.
(d) Plastic pipe and wooden boxes.
2. Who is Birdie Lee?
(a) Deck and Sandy's light skinned youngest daughter.
(b) Deck and Sandy's dark skinned oldest daughter.
(c) Cole Lee's light skinned youngest daughter.
(d) Sandy's white daughter from her first marriage.
3. In Chapter 8, why does Nicholas go outside his home one night?
(a) To smoke.
(b) To replant the yellow rose bush.
(c) To hide from Mr. Marsh.
(d) To investigate a noise.
4. What is a WASP?
(a) White Anglo Saxon Protestant.
(b) White Angry Southern Princess.
(c) White Anglo Saxon Princess.
(d) White Anglo Saxon Person.
5. What type of paper is used to wrap Birdie's gift?
(a) Christmas paper.
(b) Birthday paper.
(c) The Sunday comics.
(d) White butcher paper.
6. What decision does Deck make in Chapter 1 that radically alters Birdie and Cole's lives?
(a) His daughters will no longer be home-schooled.
(b) The family will move to Canada.
(c) The family will move to Brazil.
(d) His daughters will go to boarding school.
7. What does Sandy do with the girls on the day she keeps them out of school in Chapter 3?
(a) They drive to New York and see a Broadway show.
(b) They eat pizza and watch old movies.
(c) They go to Concord and visit sites of literary significance.
(d) They visit their Grandma Logan.
8. What piece of jewelry does Sandy buy for Birdie?
(a) A hemp ankle bracelet.
(b) A Nubian armband.
(c) A Star of David necklace.
(d) A silver bracelet.
9. Why doesn't Sandy believe she is making Birdie "pass"?
(a) Because they have no other choice.
(b) Because she knows what race Birdie really is.
(c) Because Birdie is more white than black anyway.
(d) Because she thinks Jewish people aren't really white.
10. Who is Bernadette?
(a) Deck's new girlfriend.
(b) An Australian woman who becomes Sandy's lover.
(c) The landlord of Motel 6 in upstate New York.
(d) Birdie's best friend from Aurora.
11. What fear does Sandy develop in Chapter 3?
(a) She is afraid of the students living upstairs.
(b) She thinks that Birdie and Cole will get hurt at school.
(c) She fears Deck will leave her.
(d) She fears she is under police surveillance.
12. Who has been using Sandy and Deck's second floor guestroom in Chapter 1?
(a) Sandy's mother.
(b) College students.
(c) Deck's mother.
(d) Different groups of strangers.
13. Where do Cole and her father run to?
14. How does Sandy change physically once she goes "on the run"?
(a) She gains weight and must wear sweatpants.
(b) She allows her tan to fade.
(c) She loses weight and becomes thin.
(d) Her face appears to sag and age quickly.
15. Why does a white couple call the police while Deck is in the park with Birdie?
(a) Because they thought Deck stole their basket.
(b) Because they see a black man alone with a white girl.
(c) Because Birdie was crying and trying to run from Deck.
(d) Because they saw Deck hit Birdie.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sandy decide to settle at the end of Chapter 7?
2. How are Birdie and Cole similar?
3. What culture is Birdie forced to adopt in her teen years?
4. Why can't Birdie and Cole attend the first day of public school?
5. Which character does Cole stay with after the dinner in Chapter 5?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)