|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sandy know the Harvard professor?
(a) She was the professor's neighbor.
(b) She is the professor's daughter.
(c) She is the professor's student.
(d) She worked with the professor.
2. Which famous author is the Lodge family related to?
(a) Mark Twain.
(b) Cotton Mather.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Charles Dickens.
3. What does the snapshot stuck in the encyclopedia show?
(a) Sandy and Deck's high school prom.
(b) Sandy and Deck's wedding.
(c) Sandy's high school graduation.
(d) Deck's high school graduation.
4. What does Birdie do to try and fit in with the students at her private school?
(a) She skips school and hangs out near the park.
(b) She wears lipstick and has her hair braided into small braids.
(c) She wears her hair in a thick braid and gets her ears pierced.
(d) She joins the cheerleading squad.
5. Who is Nicholas?
(a) A friend from school.
(b) One of Walter Marsh's horses.
(c) Walter and Libby Marsh's son.
(d) The gardener's son.
6. What piece of jewelry does Sandy buy for Birdie?
(a) A Nubian armband.
(b) A silver bracelet.
(c) A hemp ankle bracelet.
(d) A Star of David necklace.
7. Which character teases Birdie about giving the "black is beautiful" salute at school?
8. What family heirloom does Sandy sell?
(a) Her grandmother's wedding ring.
(b) The Logan family silver.
(c) An antique painting.
(d) The Egyptian necklace.
9. What fear does Sandy develop in Chapter 3?
(a) She thinks that Birdie and Cole will get hurt at school.
(b) She is afraid of the students living upstairs.
(c) She fears she is under police surveillance.
(d) She fears Deck will leave her.
10. Why is Birdie invited to be a part of Maria's group?
(a) Because she has a boyfriend.
(b) Because her sister Cole is already a member.
(c) Because she is very flexible.
(d) Because she wears her hair in braids.
11. How does Birdie describe the present she receives from Cole and Deck?
(a) As a box of Africanabilia.
(b) As a box of negrobilia.
(c) As a bag of Africana.
(d) As a box of memorabilia.
12. Where does the Lee family go to dinner in Chapter 5?
(a) All In The Family, a Soul Food restaurant.
(b) Akiri, a Chinese restaurant.
(c) Akunan, a Japanese restaurant.
(d) Aku-Aku, a Polynesian restaurant.
13. How does Cole react to her father's comments about the interracial couple in Chapter 3?
(a) She takes their picture.
(b) She ignores him.
(c) She chides him for being too sensitive.
(d) She cries.
14. Where do Cole and her father run to?
15. Why does Sandy want to stop running and settle down?
(a) She is too sick to keep running.
(b) She feels bad that Birdie has no home.
(c) She is tired of running.
(d) She meets a wonderful man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Deck want to leave with Sandy?
2. Where do Birdie and Cole sleep?
3. What types of items are in Birdie's present?
4. What is the name of the book the Lodge family ancestor wrote?
5. What name does Sandy assume in Chapter 6?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)