|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character does Birdie stay with after the dinner in Chapter 5?
(a) Grandma Logan.
2. Which character does Cole stay with after the dinner in Chapter 5?
(a) Grandma Logan.
3. What offensive name does Carmen begin calling Birdie?
4. Where do Deck and Cole plan to travel to?
5. What does Cole's Nana teach her to appreciate when she is three?
(a) African Folk Art.
(b) Sweetened coffee with cream.
(c) Nat King Cole's music.
(d) Billie Holiday and the Blues.
6. What types of food are Sandy and Birdie used to eating?
(a) Beans and rice.
(b) Soups and salads.
(c) Vegetarian meals.
(d) Chicken and white rice.
7. What group does Maria invite Birdie to be a part of?
(a) The Brown Sugars.
(b) The Sweet Mamas.
(c) The Chocolate Babies.
(d) The cheerleading squad.
8. Why do Cole and her father leave America?
(a) To earn a better living.
(b) To find a quiet place.
(c) To run from the FBI.
(d) To escape racism.
9. What culture is Birdie forced to adopt in her teen years?
10. What do Nicholas and Birdie do together in Chapter 8?
(a) Go into town.
(b) Smoke weed.
(c) Replant the yellow rose bush.
(d) Ride to Birdie's cottage on Mr. Pleasure.
11. Where does Sandy decide to settle at the end of Chapter 7?
(a) New Mexico.
(b) New Jersey.
(c) New Hampshire.
(d) New York.
12. Which character does Birdie compare Sandy to in Chapter 6?
(b) Grandma Lodge.
(c) Barbara Walters.
(d) Billie Holiday.
13. How does Birdie describe the present she receives from Cole and Deck?
(a) As a box of negrobilia.
(b) As a bag of Africana.
(c) As a box of Africanabilia.
(d) As a box of memorabilia.
14. Which character does Walter Marsh remind Birdie of?
(a) Grandpa Logan.
15. Who gives Sandy money for her trip?
(c) Grandma Logan.
(d) Aunt Dot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sandy angry at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What item does Cole place in Birdie's bed in Chapter 5?
3. Who is Cole Lee?
4. What family heirloom does Sandy sell?
5. Where do Sandy and Birdie live for four years after they leave their home?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)