|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of mask does Sandy wear when playing with her daughters in Chapter 3?
(a) A Mardi Gras mask.
(b) A Halloween mask.
(c) A Brazillian Carnival mask.
(d) An African mask.
2. What do Nicholas and Birdie do together in Chapter 8?
(a) Replant the yellow rose bush.
(b) Go into town.
(c) Ride to Birdie's cottage on Mr. Pleasure.
(d) Smoke weed.
3. How much older than Birdie is Cole?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 8 years.
4. What family heirloom does Sandy sell?
(a) The Logan family silver.
(b) The Egyptian necklace.
(c) Her grandmother's wedding ring.
(d) An antique painting.
5. Where in the encyclopedia is the snapshot placed?
(a) It marks the page that describes Africa's geography.
(b) It marks the page that describes West African gods.
(c) It marks the page that describes the culture of Brazil.
(d) It marks the page that describes the three main racial categories.
6. Which character does Walter Marsh remind Birdie of?
(d) Grandpa Logan.
7. What does Birdie think that Sandy needs to buy in Chapter 8?
(a) A new car.
(b) A new outfit.
(c) A new house.
(d) More food.
8. How does Sandy earn money once her funds run out?
(a) By tutoring dyslexic children.
(b) By working at the front desk of Motel 6.
(c) By working in a convenience store.
(d) By shoplifting.
9. What does Redbone show Birdie at her Aunt Dot's farewell party?
(a) Articles about forced integration.
(c) Her grandfather's book.
(d) A photo of her parents.
10. How does Deck know the Harvard professor?
(a) He was the professor's neighbor.
(b) He is the professor's son.
(c) He is the professor's student.
(d) He worked with the professor.
11. Who is Birdie Lee?
(a) Deck and Sandy's dark skinned oldest daughter.
(b) Cole Lee's light skinned youngest daughter.
(c) Deck and Sandy's light skinned youngest daughter.
(d) Sandy's white daughter from her first marriage.
12. Why does Birdie have difficulty fitting into her new private school?
(a) She doesn't appear to be white enough.
(b) Her clothes are old and shoddy.
(c) She is painfully shy and afraid of the other students.
(d) She doesn't appear to be black enough.
13. How does Birdie describe the present she receives from Cole and Deck?
(a) As a box of memorabilia.
(b) As a box of negrobilia.
(c) As a box of Africanabilia.
(d) As a bag of Africana.
14. What piece of jewelry does Sandy buy for Birdie?
(a) A Nubian armband.
(b) A Star of David necklace.
(c) A hemp ankle bracelet.
(d) A silver bracelet.
15. What do Cole and Birdie learn from an Ebony magazine article?
(a) Black English.
(b) How to wear turbans.
(c) About forced integration.
(d) How to braid their hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Birdie and Cole similar?
2. What items does Sandy shoplift in Chapter 3?
3. What name does Sandy assume in Chapter 6?
4. What surprising meal does Sandy buy Cole and Birdie in Chapter 3?
5. Why can't Birdie and Cole attend the first day of public school?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)