|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Birdie have difficulty fitting into her new private school?
(a) Her clothes are old and shoddy.
(b) She doesn't appear to be black enough.
(c) She doesn't appear to be white enough.
(d) She is painfully shy and afraid of the other students.
2. What is the name of Birdie and Cole's secret language?
3. How does Carmen treat Cole?
(a) She is rude and makes cutting remarks about Deck.
(b) She is kind and teaches Cole how to drive.
(c) She ignores Cole completely.
(d) She is friendly and fixes Cole's hair.
4. How are Birdie and Cole similar?
(a) They are biracial best friends from different interracial families.
(b) They look almost like identical twins.
(c) They are both daughters of a black father and a white mother.
(d) They are both adopted.
5. What is the Nubian Nation?
(a) A music store that caters to African-Americans.
(b) A county in Brazil.
(c) A country of Africa.
(d) A revolutionary activist group.
6. How does Birdie describe the present she receives from Cole and Deck?
(a) As a box of memorabilia.
(b) As a box of negrobilia.
(c) As a box of Africanabilia.
(d) As a bag of Africana.
7. Why does Sandy want to stop running and settle down?
(a) She meets a wonderful man.
(b) She is tired of running.
(c) She is too sick to keep running.
(d) She feels bad that Birdie has no home.
8. What advice do both Sandy and Birdie's teacher give Birdie?
(a) Stay away from Redbone.
(b) Respect your elders.
(c) Stay away from Mona.
(d) Blood is thicker than water.
9. Where do Sandy and Birdie live for four years after they leave their home?
(a) In New Hampshire.
(b) In motels and communes.
(c) In Aurora, New York.
(d) Near Woodstock.
10. How does Sandy change physically once she goes "on the run"?
(a) Her face appears to sag and age quickly.
(b) She gains weight and must wear sweatpants.
(c) She loses weight and becomes thin.
(d) She allows her tan to fade.
11. Where does the Lee family go to dinner in Chapter 5?
(a) Akunan, a Japanese restaurant.
(b) Akiri, a Chinese restaurant.
(c) All In The Family, a Soul Food restaurant.
(d) Aku-Aku, a Polynesian restaurant.
12. How does Carmen treat Birdie after they meet in person?
(a) She accuses Birdie of lying.
(b) She is rude and makes cutting remarks about Deck.
(c) She is cool and reserved.
(d) She is friendly and fixes Birdie's hair.
13. Why are Cole and Birdie separated for a week in Chapter 4?
(a) Sandy sends Cole to Grandma Logan's house.
(b) Sandy takes Birdie to visit Grandma Logan.
(c) Cole goes to boarding school for a week.
(d) A snowstorm has shut down Boston.
14. Where do Birdie and Cole sleep?
(a) Together in the basement bedroom.
(b) In separate rooms.
(c) Together on the pull-out couch.
(d) Together in the attic bedroom.
15. What does Birdie do to try and fit in with the students at her private school?
(a) She wears lipstick and has her hair braided into small braids.
(b) She wears her hair in a thick braid and gets her ears pierced.
(c) She skips school and hangs out near the park.
(d) She joins the cheerleading squad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which identity does Sandy force Birdie to adopt?
2. Where does Birdie find a pamphlet on Brazil?
3. What family heirloom does Sandy sell?
4. Which school would Deck like for his daughters to attend?
5. How are Birdie and Cole different?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)