|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 Disintegration of Funk.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does a white couple call the police while Deck is in the park with Birdie?
(a) Because Birdie was crying and trying to run from Deck.
(b) Because they saw Deck hit Birdie.
(c) Because they see a black man alone with a white girl.
(d) Because they thought Deck stole their basket.
2. How does Carmen treat Birdie when they speak on the phone?
(a) She is stiff and formal.
(b) She accuses Birdie of lying.
(c) She is rude and makes cutting remarks about Deck.
(d) She is friendly.
3. What does Cole do to try and fit in with the students at her private school?
(a) She wears her hair in a thick braid and gets her ears pierced.
(b) She skips school and hangs out near the park.
(c) She joins the cheerleading squad.
(d) She wears lipstick and has her hair braided into small braids.
4. What items does Sandy shoplift in Chapter 3?
(a) Two chocolate bars.
(b) Two pairs of gloves.
(c) A pack of sodas.
(d) Two dolls.
5. Why does the school clerk want to assign Birdie and Cole to different public schools?
(a) The schools are overcrowded.
(b) Because Birdie looks too young to attend Junior High.
(c) She wants to place Birdie in an all-white school.
(d) For the sake of diversity.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cole react to her father's comments about the interracial couple in Chapter 3?
2. Which character confronts Birdie on the playground?
3. Why does Birdie have difficulty fitting into her new private school?
4. Which character teases Birdie about giving the "black is beautiful" salute at school?
5. What does Redbone show Birdie at her Aunt Dot's farewell party?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)