|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cuchulain killed Tamon because Tamon was disguised as someone else. Who?
2. What do the Ulstermen do with the Irish female slaves?
3. Who is next to fight the Irish after Menn?
4. Why did Cuchulain feel guilty about the Slaughter of the Youths?
5. How many bandits are in Ferchu's gang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 2
The battle that ensues over Dann of Cooley is a direct result of Medb's ambition. Show (1) how this ambition ultimately leads to much loss of life among the Irish and the Ulstermen; and (2) how ambition is Medb's tragic flaw and how it relates the resolution at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary term "antagonist". What is the role of an antagonist in literary works? Choose three of the characters below, and show why these characters are antagonists (with Cuchulain as the protagonist) in The Cattle Raid of Cooley (a) providing two examples of characteristics that make them an antagonist, and (b) providing two examples of situations where they behave as an antagonist..
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)