|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Donn is almost back to Cruachan?
2. Who was the leader of the Youths of Ulster?
3. What is the result of Cuchulain's anger fit?
4. What do the doctors tell Cethern?
5. Why do the Irish fighters scorn Iliach as a warrior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, citing three examples. Include in two of these examples how the paranormal is used: for example, prophets, witches, fairies, etc.
Essay Topic 2
"Imagery" is language that is used to portray something so that we can visualize an element of a story in our mind's eye.
(1) Give at least four examples from the book where imagery is used to enhance the story;
(2) Refer to Chapter 36 for specific examples of imagery that evoke a picture of Cuchulain as he appears to the women and civilians who are traveling with the army; and (3) State why you believe strong imagery is important when a story is told with only words.
Essay Topic 3
(a) Explain what is meant by "mood" in a literary work.
(b) Give three examples of how mood might be portrayed to the reader.
(c) In Chapters 28 and 29 (The Slaying of Ferbaeth and The Combat of Larini MacNois) show how the mood of the novel changes due to the portrayal of Cuchulain and his actions and feelings.
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)