|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the fairy refuse to help Cuchulain avenge the Slaughter of the Youths?
2. Where will Medb and Ailill say they will see Menn again?
3. What is Iliach's reaction to the Irish scorn?
4. How many witches foretell the defeat of Ulster?
5. How does Morrigan cause trouble for both sides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 2
The battle that ensues over Dann of Cooley is a direct result of Medb's ambition. Show (1) how this ambition ultimately leads to much loss of life among the Irish and the Ulstermen; and (2) how ambition is Medb's tragic flaw and how it relates the resolution at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
"Imagery" is language that is used to portray something so that we can visualize an element of a story in our mind's eye.
(1) Give at least four examples from the book where imagery is used to enhance the story;
(2) Refer to Chapter 36 for specific examples of imagery that evoke a picture of Cuchulain as he appears to the women and civilians who are traveling with the army; and (3) State why you believe strong imagery is important when a story is told with only words.
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)