Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cethern have on his stomach to keep his organs inside?
2. What does Medb's watchman see running towards him?
3. What does Cuchulain want the Ulstermen to do?
4. How does Cethern get killed?
5. How does Cormac make Donn angry so that he fights all night?
Essay Topic 1
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 2
The tragic flaw is used in literary works to show the weakness of humans and how it influences the outcomes of many situations. Write a short essay wherein you list what you consider five fatal flaws and how they can have a serious influence on people's lives. Choose one of these fatal flaws and apply it to a character in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and show how it influences the outcome of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Heroism is a very common theme in stories of myth and legend. (a) in your own words, explain why you think this is so and the purpose it serves; (b) Give three examples of how Cuchulain is presented as a hero, for example, what characteristics and skills does the author describe; and (c) The story of Cuchulain's childhood is chronicled early in the book. Give at least two reasons why it is structured this way.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)