Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cethern have on his stomach to keep his organs inside?
2. What does Medb's watchman see running towards him?
3. What does Cuchulain want the Ulstermen to do?
4. How does Cethern get killed?
5. How does Cormac make Donn angry so that he fights all night?
Essay Topic 1
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Explain in your own words the resolution of the story The Cattle Raid of Cooley. (2) What was the outcome for the following characters, describing it in two or three sentences:
Essay Topic 3
"Imagery" is language that is used to portray something so that we can visualize an element of a story in our mind's eye.
(1) Give at least four examples from the book where imagery is used to enhance the story;
(2) Refer to Chapter 36 for specific examples of imagery that evoke a picture of Cuchulain as he appears to the women and civilians who are traveling with the army; and (3) State why you believe strong imagery is important when a story is told with only words.
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)