Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cethern have on his stomach to keep his organs inside?
2. What does Medb's watchman see running towards him?
3. What does Cuchulain want the Ulstermen to do?
4. How does Cethern get killed?
5. How does Cormac make Donn angry so that he fights all night?
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
The pairing of conflict and archetypes are almost always elements of heroic tales. Considering this,
(a) define conflict and cite three examples of conflict in the novel,
(b) define archetypes and cite three examples of archetypes in the novel, (c) explain how conflict is built into the structure of The Cattle-Raid of Cooley, and
(d) explain how archetypes are used in Man vs. Man conflicts.
Choose either of the following:
(a) Explain and give examples that support the characterization of Cuchulain as a superhuman young man with magical qualities. Compare and contrast this with the character of Medb, as presented in the book. Why does the author present the characters this way?
(b) Cuchulain is also presented as fairly ruthless early in the book but later on we start to see his more vulnerable, human side. Compare and contrast these two sides of Cuchulain's nature, citing four examples for each.
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)