|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sencha?
2. The Irish make progress. What is their plan?
3. What fraction of the Irish army survives Cuchulain's rage?
4. After eight hours of battle with shields and blades, what do Ferdiad and Cuchulain decide to do?
5. What does Cethern soak in for three days?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Heroism is a very common theme in stories of myth and legend. (a) in your own words, explain why you think this is so and the purpose it serves; (b) Give three examples of how Cuchulain is presented as a hero, for example, what characteristics and skills does the author describe; and (c) The story of Cuchulain's childhood is chronicled early in the book. Give at least two reasons why it is structured this way.
Essay Topic 2
The tragic flaw is used in literary works to show the weakness of humans and how it influences the outcomes of many situations. Write a short essay wherein you list what you consider five fatal flaws and how they can have a serious influence on people's lives. Choose one of these fatal flaws and apply it to a character in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and show how it influences the outcome of the story.
Essay Topic 3
"Imagery" is language that is used to portray something so that we can visualize an element of a story in our mind's eye.
(1) Give at least four examples from the book where imagery is used to enhance the story;
(2) Refer to Chapter 36 for specific examples of imagery that evoke a picture of Cuchulain as he appears to the women and civilians who are traveling with the army; and (3) State why you believe strong imagery is important when a story is told with only words.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)