Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cethern have on his stomach to keep his organs inside?
2. What does Medb's watchman see running towards him?
3. What does Cuchulain want the Ulstermen to do?
4. How does Cethern get killed?
5. How does Cormac make Donn angry so that he fights all night?
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, citing three examples. Include in two of these examples how the paranormal is used: for example, prophets, witches, fairies, etc.
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)