|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cuchulain go into battle after he hears someone fighting mightily against Conchobar?
2. Cethern's father, Fintan, brings a hundred and fifty men with him. How many Irish do they kill?
3. Fergus approaches Cuchulain without a sword. Why?
4. What did Fergus want Ailill to give him for the great battle?
5. What do the dreams of the soldiers predict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in your own words the resolution of the story The Cattle Raid of Cooley. (2) What was the outcome for the following characters, describing it in two or three sentences:
Essay Topic 2
Choose either of the following:
(a) Explain and give examples that support the characterization of Cuchulain as a superhuman young man with magical qualities. Compare and contrast this with the character of Medb, as presented in the book. Why does the author present the characters this way?
(b) Cuchulain is also presented as fairly ruthless early in the book but later on we start to see his more vulnerable, human side. Compare and contrast these two sides of Cuchulain's nature, citing four examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
(a) Explain what is meant by "mood" in a literary work.
(b) Give three examples of how mood might be portrayed to the reader.
(c) In Chapters 28 and 29 (The Slaying of Ferbaeth and The Combat of Larini MacNois) show how the mood of the novel changes due to the portrayal of Cuchulain and his actions and feelings.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)