|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fergus want Ailill to give him for the great battle?
2. After eight hours of battle with shields and blades, what do Ferdiad and Cuchulain decide to do?
3. Ailill sends MacRoth into the woods. What does he see?
4. What do the people who help Cuchulain after the battle with Ferdiad put on his wounds?
5. Why do the Irish fighters scorn Iliach as a warrior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characterization of characters in literary works are often revealed to us by what they do.
(1) Choose four characters in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and give one detailed example of how their actions reveal their character, and
(2) Choose one of these characters and explain how this example have an influence on the outcome of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 3
The tragic flaw is used in literary works to show the weakness of humans and how it influences the outcomes of many situations. Write a short essay wherein you list what you consider five fatal flaws and how they can have a serious influence on people's lives. Choose one of these fatal flaws and apply it to a character in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and show how it influences the outcome of the story.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)