|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the doctors tell Cethern?
2. Cethern's father, Fintan, brings a hundred and fifty men with him. How many Irish do they kill?
3. What problem does the death of Medb's daughter cause?
4. What do the people who help Cuchulain after the battle with Ferdiad put on his wounds?
5. What is unusual about Cuchulain's hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, citing three examples. Include in two of these examples how the paranormal is used: for example, prophets, witches, fairies, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 3
The battle that ensues over Dann of Cooley is a direct result of Medb's ambition. Show (1) how this ambition ultimately leads to much loss of life among the Irish and the Ulstermen; and (2) how ambition is Medb's tragic flaw and how it relates the resolution at the end of the book.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)