|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Irish men think of the result of the meeting of the Ulstermen?
2. What does Donn's last action put an end to?
3. What do the doctors tell Cethern?
4. What does Fergus tell Medb as a result of what MacRoth saw in the woods?
5. Who does Cuchulain send to rouse the troops?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mythical tales almost always contain elements of magic. (a) In your own words, explain why this is; (b) give four examples of magic as they apply to the warriors that confront Cuchulain, and (c) describe Morrigan the Fairy's actions in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what is meant by "plot structure". Explain the following elements in two or three sentences each, of plot structure as they apply to The Cattle Raid of Cooley:
b. Rising Action
d. Falling Action
e. Resolution (or denouement).
Essay Topic 3
The battle that ensues over Dann of Cooley is a direct result of Medb's ambition. Show (1) how this ambition ultimately leads to much loss of life among the Irish and the Ulstermen; and (2) how ambition is Medb's tragic flaw and how it relates the resolution at the end of the book.
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)