|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Laeg make Cuchulain feel better about not fighting?
2. What does Fergus tell Medb as a result of what MacRoth saw in the woods?
3. How many bandits are in Ferchu's gang?
4. Which of the following is untrue about Mann?
5. What does Medb's watchman see running towards him?
Essay Topic 1
"Imagery" is language that is used to portray something so that we can visualize an element of a story in our mind's eye.
(1) Give at least four examples from the book where imagery is used to enhance the story;
(2) Refer to Chapter 36 for specific examples of imagery that evoke a picture of Cuchulain as he appears to the women and civilians who are traveling with the army; and (3) State why you believe strong imagery is important when a story is told with only words.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Choose four short examples of dialogue that appear in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and describe it in the context of (1) mood; (b) characterization; and (c) conflict. Make sure you identify each of the characters in the dialogue, the situation, and the chapter title.
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)