|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Cuchulain and Mann fight?
2. Who is Sencha?
3. What is Iliach's reaction to the Irish scorn?
4. How does Cormac make Donn angry so that he fights all night?
5. What is the result of Cuchulain's anger fit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pride as a personal characteristic is prevalent in The Cattle Raid of Cooley. Show how pride is shown as a characteristic of these warriors and provide two instances where pride influences their decisions or actions:
Essay Topic 2
The battle that ensues over Dann of Cooley is a direct result of Medb's ambition. Show (1) how this ambition ultimately leads to much loss of life among the Irish and the Ulstermen; and (2) how ambition is Medb's tragic flaw and how it relates the resolution at the end of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)