|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the man of Ireland's dealing with Cuchulain?
2. What are Ailill and Medb talking about as they lie in their bed?
3. What are Munremar and Curoi involved in?
4. Why did Cuchulain promise not to kill Larini?
5. Larini is a weak fighter but is being sent to fight Cuchulain. Why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Cuchulain kill on the riverbank? Why were they there?
2. Why does Cuchulain feel so guilty about the slaughter of the Youths of Ulster?
3. What does Ailill's spy find out about Medb and Fergus? What does Ailill do about it?
4. Why did Setanta's name get changed?
5. Who is Fedelm and what does she tell Medb?
6. What promise does Cuchulain make to Luguid about his brother Larini?
7. How does Cuchulain show the Irish that he is a real threat to them?
8. Why do the Irish scorn the Ulstermen in "The Misthrow at Belach Eoin"?
9. Why does Cethern's lack of patience and better judgment cause his death?
10. What does Cuchulain do in "The Decision of the Battle" and how is he feeling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Heroism is a very common theme in stories of myth and legend. (a) in your own words, explain why you think this is so and the purpose it serves; (b) Give three examples of how Cuchulain is presented as a hero, for example, what characteristics and skills does the author describe; and (c) The story of Cuchulain's childhood is chronicled early in the book. Give at least two reasons why it is structured this way.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
This section contains 1,948 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)