|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cuchulain had another name before he took the name Cuchulain. What was it?
2. In her second disguise, Morrigan is an eel. What does she do to Cuchulain in battle?
3. Why were the men of Ireland waiting around for two weeks?
4. What is Medb's reaction to Etarcumul's death?
5. Cuchulain comes across one of the men of Ireland. What does he help him do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the impassable river the Irish army come upon?
2. Why is the battle at Fintan called the tooth-fight?
3. At the mid-way point, how is the progress of the great battle?
4. How are the charioteers from Ulster killed by the Irish?
5. Who is Fedelm and what does she tell Medb?
6. Why does Forgemen die?
7. Who was Ferchu and what did he do?
8. Why did Setanta's name get changed?
9. How do Medb and Ailill want to use their daughter Finnabair for their own ends? What is the result?
10. How do we know both the Irish and the Ulstermen are nervous the night before the great battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Heroism is a very common theme in stories of myth and legend. (a) in your own words, explain why you think this is so and the purpose it serves; (b) Give three examples of how Cuchulain is presented as a hero, for example, what characteristics and skills does the author describe; and (c) The story of Cuchulain's childhood is chronicled early in the book. Give at least two reasons why it is structured this way.
Essay Topic 3
Characterization of characters in literary works are often revealed to us by what they do.
(1) Choose four characters in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and give one detailed example of how their actions reveal their character, and
(2) Choose one of these characters and explain how this example have an influence on the outcome of the story.
This section contains 1,912 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)