|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Medb do as she makes her way through Ulster?
2. What is one of the bull of Cooley's special powers?
3. After hearing the three stories about Cuchulain's youth, what do they Irishmen think?
4. When Medb met Cuchulain she scoffed at him. Why?
5. How many young boys of Ulster march off to help Cuchulan defeat the Irish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cuchulain kill Tamon?
2. At the mid-way point, how is the progress of the great battle?
3. How do we know that Ferdiad and Cuchulain were equally matched warriors?
4. What causes Cuchulain to become so enraged that he cannot recognize friend from foe?
5. How did Cuchulain manage to kill the gigantic Mann?
6. What does Cuchulain do in "The Decision of the Battle" and how is he feeling?
7. Who was Ferchu and what did he do?
8. How does Cuchulain show the Irish that he is a real threat to them?
9. Nathcrantail is killed for what he said about Cuchulain. What did he say?
10. Even though Cuchulain is keeping his end of the bargain, Medb and Ailill break theirs. How do they do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary term "antagonist". What is the role of an antagonist in literary works? Choose three of the characters below, and show why these characters are antagonists (with Cuchulain as the protagonist) in The Cattle Raid of Cooley (a) providing two examples of characteristics that make them an antagonist, and (b) providing two examples of situations where they behave as an antagonist..
Essay Topic 2
Mythical tales almost always contain elements of magic. (a) In your own words, explain why this is; (b) give four examples of magic as they apply to the warriors that confront Cuchulain, and (c) describe Morrigan the Fairy's actions in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
This section contains 1,874 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)