|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cuchulain increase his killing as Medb moves into Ulster?
2. What is Cuchulain doing while the men of Ireland are tunneling?
3. What does Cuchulain do each night?
4. Why was Cyr chosen to fight Cuchulain?
5. What is one of the bull of Cooley's special powers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Medb and Ailill want to use their daughter Finnabair for their own ends? What is the result?
2. Why is Cuchulain not happy with his father's actions in The Repeated Warning of Sualtaim? What does Cuchulain have to do in the end?
3. How are the charioteers from Ulster killed by the Irish?
4. How does the book end with both victory and defeat?
5. How does Cuchulain feel about Fergus? Why doesn't this stop him from killing Etarcumul?
6. How does Cuchulain heal Morrigan?
7. What were the Crutti Cainbili and what happened to them?
8. What does Ailill's spy find out about Medb and Fergus? What does Ailill do about it?
9. Why does Forgemen die?
10. What man of Ulster is angry at Cuchulain and why? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Point-of-view refers to the narrative voice of a literary work. What is the point-of-view in The Cattle Raid of Cooley?
(a) Give three examples that show biases the narrator has in telling the story. For example, does the narrator always support the protagonist?
(b) What is the "tone" of the narrative voice in The Cattle Raid of Cooley? Give three examples that show you support the narrative voice as being positive, negative, neutral, or all three at different times.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the exposition and the resolution components in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, as they relate to the state of the kingdoms of Ireland and Ulster, citing specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
A "motif" is an important idea or image that reoccurs in a literary work. Name four motifs that occur in The Battle Raid of Cooley and support each with two examples.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)