Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Medb's reaction to Etarcumul's death?
2. How does Cuchulain kill Mani, Medb and Ailill's son?
3. What does Ailill do about the marching boys of Ulster?
4. Why does Nathcrantail tell Medb that Cuchulain is a coward?
5. What does Medb do while Cuchulain is with Morrigan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does Cuchulain make to Luguid about his brother Larini?
2. Why does Fergus decide to talk to Medb? What does he tell Medb about what Cuchulain wants to do?
3. At the mid-way point, how is the progress of the great battle?
4. Why does Cuchulain feel so guilty about the slaughter of the Youths of Ulster?
5. How do the Irish women react to Cuchulain in his regular clothing and hairstyle?
6. What were the Crutti Cainbili and what happened to them?
7. What does Ailill's spy find out about Medb and Fergus? What does Ailill do about it?
8. Nathcrantail is killed for what he said about Cuchulain. What did he say?
9. Why is Fergus familiar with Cuchulain? What does he say about Cuchulain?
10. How does Medb show she is a little worried about the strength of the Ulstermen?
Essay Topic 1
"Imagery" is language that is used to portray something so that we can visualize an element of a story in our mind's eye.
(1) Give at least four examples from the book where imagery is used to enhance the story;
(2) Refer to Chapter 36 for specific examples of imagery that evoke a picture of Cuchulain as he appears to the women and civilians who are traveling with the army; and (3) State why you believe strong imagery is important when a story is told with only words.
Essay Topic 2
Point-of-view refers to the narrative voice of a literary work. What is the point-of-view in The Cattle Raid of Cooley?
(a) Give three examples that show biases the narrator has in telling the story. For example, does the narrator always support the protagonist?
(b) What is the "tone" of the narrative voice in The Cattle Raid of Cooley? Give three examples that show you support the narrative voice as being positive, negative, neutral, or all three at different times.
Essay Topic 3
Pride as a personal characteristic is prevalent in The Cattle Raid of Cooley. Show how pride is shown as a characteristic of these warriors and provide two instances where pride influences their decisions or actions:
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)