|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Medb and Ailill's neighboring kings' men gather?
2. Who is Finnabair?
3. What did the Crutti Cainbili turn into after they ran away from the men of Ireland?
4. The Crutti Cainbilli were not ordinary men at all. What were they?
5. How does Cuchulain kill Ferbaeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the impassable river the Irish army come upon?
2. Oengus had great fighting skills but forgot to do something. What does he forget to do?
3. Why is Cethern a good ally for Cuchulain?
4. How does Cuchulain feel about Fergus? Why doesn't this stop him from killing Etarcumul?
5. Describe Cuchulain's actions in "Now of the Battle".
6. How did Cuchulain manage to kill the gigantic Mann?
7. How do the Irish women react to Cuchulain in his regular clothing and hairstyle?
8. What choice does Cuchulain have to make in The Finding of the Bull? Which one does he choose?
9. How does Cuchulain show the Irish that he is a real threat to them?
10. What man of Ulster is angry at Cuchulain and why? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what is meant by "plot structure". Explain the following elements in two or three sentences each, of plot structure as they apply to The Cattle Raid of Cooley:
b. Rising Action
d. Falling Action
e. Resolution (or denouement).
Essay Topic 3
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, citing three examples. Include in two of these examples how the paranormal is used: for example, prophets, witches, fairies, etc.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)