|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Loch is dying, what does he beg Cuchulain to do?
2. Where does Cuchulain sit waiting for Nathcrantrail to return?
3. How does Cuchulain kill Medb's pet bird?
4. What happens to Cuchulain's body when he becomes very angry about the actions of the Irish?
5. Fedelm is a prophet. What is she doing when Medb meets her for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cuchulain accidentally kills Ferbaeth. What was his relationship with Ferbaeth?
2. Even though Cuchulain is keeping his end of the bargain, Medb and Ailill break theirs. How do they do this?
3. What do we learn about Medb in "The Pillow Talk"?
4. Who is Fedelm and what does she tell Medb?
5. What choice does Cuchulain have to make in The Finding of the Bull? Which one does he choose?
6. Why does Fergus decide to talk to Medb? What does he tell Medb about what Cuchulain wants to do?
7. How do we know both the Irish and the Ulstermen are nervous the night before the great battle?
8. How did Cuchulain manage to kill the gigantic Mann?
9. How does Cuchulain heal Morrigan?
10. What did Fergus and Cuchulain agree to do that they would never normally do. What was the result of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characterization of characters in literary works are often revealed to us by what they do.
(1) Choose four characters in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and give one detailed example of how their actions reveal their character, and
(2) Choose one of these characters and explain how this example have an influence on the outcome of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary term "antagonist". What is the role of an antagonist in literary works? Choose three of the characters below, and show why these characters are antagonists (with Cuchulain as the protagonist) in The Cattle Raid of Cooley (a) providing two examples of characteristics that make them an antagonist, and (b) providing two examples of situations where they behave as an antagonist..
This section contains 2,005 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)