|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cuchulain kill Ferbaeth?
2. At the age of five, how does Cuchulain show he has special abilities?
3. Why did Lochi wear a golden tiara?
4. What does Fergus get Cuchulain to agree to?
5. Why does the narrator say it would be boring to tell about every battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cuchulain feel so guilty about the slaughter of the Youths of Ulster?
2. What did Fergus and Cuchulain agree to do that they would never normally do. What was the result of this?
3. Why do the Irish scorn the Ulstermen in "The Misthrow at Belach Eoin"?
4. At first, Ferdiad did not want to fight his old friend Cuchulain. What changed his mind?
5. Medb decides she wants a great bull to match Ailill's. What is the outcome of this?
6. How did Cuchulain manage to kill the gigantic Mann?
7. Why is Cethern a good ally for Cuchulain?
8. Who was Ferchu and what did he do?
9. Cuchulain lets Medb resettle her army, but meanwhile what is happening?
10. How does the fairy Morrigan disguise herself while Loch is battling with Cuchulain? Is she successful in stopping Cuchulain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 2
Mythical tales almost always contain elements of magic. (a) In your own words, explain why this is; (b) give four examples of magic as they apply to the warriors that confront Cuchulain, and (c) describe Morrigan the Fairy's actions in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in your own words the resolution of the story The Cattle Raid of Cooley. (2) What was the outcome for the following characters, describing it in two or three sentences:
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)