|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fraction of the young boys of Ulster march off to help Cuchulain defeat the Irish?
2. How does the army get the cattle herd to trample Forgemen to death?
3. How did the men of Ireland and Ulster honor the men who died in battle?
4. What is Medb's reaction to Etarcumul's death?
5. What is the result of the man of Ireland's dealing with Cuchulain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Cuchulain accidentally kills Ferbaeth. What was his relationship with Ferbaeth?
2. Why does Cethern's lack of patience and better judgment cause his death?
3. How do the Irish underestimate Iliach?
4. How does Medb anger Cuchulain by sending six druids to fight him?
5. What does the "red-shame of Menn" refer to?
6. Even though Cuchulain is keeping his end of the bargain, Medb and Ailill break theirs. How do they do this?
7. How does Cuchulain feel about Fergus? Why doesn't this stop him from killing Etarcumul?
8. Oengus had great fighting skills but forgot to do something. What does he forget to do?
9. Medb decides she wants a great bull to match Ailill's. What is the outcome of this?
10. How does Cuchulain heal Morrigan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Choose either of the following:
(a) Explain and give examples that support the characterization of Cuchulain as a superhuman young man with magical qualities. Compare and contrast this with the character of Medb, as presented in the book. Why does the author present the characters this way?
(b) Cuchulain is also presented as fairly ruthless early in the book but later on we start to see his more vulnerable, human side. Compare and contrast these two sides of Cuchulain's nature, citing four examples for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in your own words the resolution of the story The Cattle Raid of Cooley. (2) What was the outcome for the following characters, describing it in two or three sentences:
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)