|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Medb and Ailill think is responsible for Cuchulain's success in battle?
2. Etarcumul declares he will kill Cuchulain. Why does Cuchulain refuse to fight him?
3. Cuchulain had another name before he took the name Cuchulain. What was it?
4. Who does Fergus send to tell Cuchulain that he should never be caught running from battle?
5. How did the men of Ireland and Ulster honor the men who died in battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Fedelm and what does she tell Medb?
2. What are some of the actions of the Ulstermen as the eve of the great battle approaches?
3. Medb decides she wants a great bull to match Ailill's. What is the outcome of this?
4. What causes Cuchulain to become so enraged that he cannot recognize friend from foe?
5. Cuchulain accidentally kills Ferbaeth. What was his relationship with Ferbaeth?
6. How do the Irish women react to Cuchulain in his regular clothing and hairstyle?
7. Who does Cuchulain kill on the riverbank? Why were they there?
8. How does Cuchulain kill the three men from macArach?
9. What does Donn the bull do after Medb lets him loose after the battle?
10. How do we know that Ferdiad and Cuchulain were equally matched warriors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what is meant by "plot structure". Explain the following elements in two or three sentences each, of plot structure as they apply to The Cattle Raid of Cooley:
b. Rising Action
d. Falling Action
e. Resolution (or denouement).
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the exposition and the resolution components in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, as they relate to the state of the kingdoms of Ireland and Ulster, citing specific examples from the book.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)