|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who decides to try to kill Cuchulain after the slaughter of the boy troop?
2. What does the narrator tell the reader at the end of "The Foretelling"?
3. Medb wants to borrow Dari of Cooley's bull for a year. What deal does MacRoth the Messenger offer Dari?
4. What does the fairy warrior offer to do for Cuchulain?
5. What does Cuchulain do each night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cuchulain kill the three men from macArach?
2. Who is Orlam and what happens to him?
3. Cuchulain accidentally kills Ferbaeth. What was his relationship with Ferbaeth?
4. Why do the Irish scorn the Ulstermen in "The Misthrow at Belach Eoin"?
5. Nathcrantail is killed for what he said about Cuchulain. What did he say?
6. Who does Cuchulain kill on the riverbank? Why were they there?
7. How do Medb and Ailill want to use their daughter Finnabair for their own ends? What is the result?
8. How did Cuchulain manage to kill the gigantic Mann?
9. How does Medb show she is a little worried about the strength of the Ulstermen?
10. What man of Ulster is angry at Cuchulain and why? What does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose four short examples of dialogue that appear in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and describe it in the context of (1) mood; (b) characterization; and (c) conflict. Make sure you identify each of the characters in the dialogue, the situation, and the chapter title.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 3
"Imagery" is language that is used to portray something so that we can visualize an element of a story in our mind's eye.
(1) Give at least four examples from the book where imagery is used to enhance the story;
(2) Refer to Chapter 36 for specific examples of imagery that evoke a picture of Cuchulain as he appears to the women and civilians who are traveling with the army; and (3) State why you believe strong imagery is important when a story is told with only words.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)