|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the men of Ireland waiting around for two weeks?
2. Why did Lochi wear a golden tiara?
3. What is the result of Finnabair's death?
4. What does the narrator tell the reader at the end of "The Foretelling"?
5. How does Cuchulain convince Loch that he should fight him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What man of Ulster is angry at Cuchulain and why? What does he do?
2. How do the Irish women react to Cuchulain in his regular clothing and hairstyle?
3. Who was Ferchu and what did he do?
4. Who does Cuchulain kill in "The Meeting of Cuchulain and Finnabair". Why?
5. What choice does Cuchulain have to make in The Finding of the Bull? Which one does he choose?
6. What does Cuchulain do in "The Decision of the Battle" and how is he feeling?
7. What were the Crutti Cainbili and what happened to them?
8. Who is Fedelm and what does she tell Medb?
9. Why does Cuchulain kill Lochi? Who is she?
10. What does Ailill's spy find out about Medb and Fergus? What does Ailill do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The pairing of conflict and archetypes are almost always elements of heroic tales. Considering this,
(a) define conflict and cite three examples of conflict in the novel,
(b) define archetypes and cite three examples of archetypes in the novel, (c) explain how conflict is built into the structure of The Cattle-Raid of Cooley, and
(d) explain how archetypes are used in Man vs. Man conflicts.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what is meant by "plot structure". Explain the following elements in two or three sentences each, of plot structure as they apply to The Cattle Raid of Cooley:
b. Rising Action
d. Falling Action
e. Resolution (or denouement).
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)