|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Medb a powerful person in her own right?
2. What does Medb do while Cuchulain is with Morrigan?
3. How does Cuchulain kill Medb's pet bird?
4. Why is Fergus chosen to be the spokesman with the powerful men of Ulster?
5. After hearing the three stories about Cuchulain's youth, what do they Irishmen think?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cuchulain heal Morrigan?
2. What promise does Cuchulain make to Luguid about his brother Larini?
3. What does Donn the bull do after Medb lets him loose after the battle?
4. Describe Cuchulain's actions in "Now of the Battle".
5. Even though Cuchulain is keeping his end of the bargain, Medb and Ailill break theirs. How do they do this?
6. At first, Ferdiad did not want to fight his old friend Cuchulain. What changed his mind?
7. Medb decides she wants a great bull to match Ailill's. What is the outcome of this?
8. Show another example of loyalty for Cuchulain as it appears in "The Combat of Calatin's Children".
9. How did Cuchulain manage to kill the gigantic Mann?
10. How do we know that Ferdiad and Cuchulain were equally matched warriors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mythical tales almost always contain elements of magic. (a) In your own words, explain why this is; (b) give four examples of magic as they apply to the warriors that confront Cuchulain, and (c) describe Morrigan the Fairy's actions in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the exposition and the resolution components in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, as they relate to the state of the kingdoms of Ireland and Ulster, citing specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)