|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the army get the cattle herd to trample Forgemen to death?
2. The stories about Cuchulain show that he has amazing abilities but he also has a flaw. What is it?
3. How does Medb break an agreement by sending six Druids to fight Cuchulain?
4. What did the Crutti Cainbili turn into after they ran away from the men of Ireland?
5. Why does Cuchulain increase his killing as Medb moves into Ulster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Show another example of loyalty for Cuchulain as it appears in "The Combat of Calatin's Children".
2. How do Medb and Ailill want to use their daughter Finnabair for their own ends? What is the result?
3. What does Cuchulain do in "The Decision of the Battle" and how is he feeling?
4. What does the "red-shame of Menn" refer to?
5. What does Donn the bull do after Medb lets him loose after the battle?
6. Who is Orlam and what happens to him?
7. Even though Cuchulain is keeping his end of the bargain, Medb and Ailill break theirs. How do they do this?
8. Why did Setanta's name get changed?
9. What are some of the actions of the Ulstermen as the eve of the great battle approaches?
10. How does Cuchulain kill the three men from macArach?
Essay Topic 1
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, citing three examples. Include in two of these examples how the paranormal is used: for example, prophets, witches, fairies, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Hyperbole is a literary device that writers use to exaggerate characteristics or situations. It almost always appears in myths and legends.
(1) Give two examples from The Cattle Raid at Cooley that show how hyperbole is used in the characterization of Cuchulain in regards to: (a) his physical power, (b) his skills at a young age, and (c) his rage.
(2) Hyperbole is not used in describing Cuchulain's mental maturity. How is his mental maturity presented as lagging behind his physical strengths? Give two examples.
Essay Topic 3
The pairing of conflict and archetypes are almost always elements of heroic tales. Considering this,
(a) define conflict and cite three examples of conflict in the novel,
(b) define archetypes and cite three examples of archetypes in the novel, (c) explain how conflict is built into the structure of The Cattle-Raid of Cooley, and
(d) explain how archetypes are used in Man vs. Man conflicts.
This section contains 2,043 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)