|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the army get the cattle herd to trample Forgemen to death?
2. When Medb met Cuchulain she scoffed at him. Why?
3. What does Cuchulain propose by saying he won't kill the men anymore if he gets food and water each day?
4. Dari accepts Medb's offer. After the feast to celebrate, he changes his mind. Why?
5. What does Fergus get Cuchulain to agree to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ailill's spy find out about Medb and Fergus? What does Ailill do about it?
2. Why is the battle at Fintan called the tooth-fight?
3. How do Medb and Ailill want to use their daughter Finnabair for their own ends? What is the result?
4. Cuchulain lets Medb resettle her army, but meanwhile what is happening?
5. Why is Cethern a good ally for Cuchulain?
6. Why does Cethern's lack of patience and better judgment cause his death?
7. Why does Cuchulain kill Lochi? Who is she?
8. Who does Cuchulain kill in "The Meeting of Cuchulain and Finnabair". Why?
9. How does Medb show she is a little worried about the strength of the Ulstermen?
10. What promise does Cuchulain make to Luguid about his brother Larini?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose either of the following:
(a) Explain and give examples that support the characterization of Cuchulain as a superhuman young man with magical qualities. Compare and contrast this with the character of Medb, as presented in the book. Why does the author present the characters this way?
(b) Cuchulain is also presented as fairly ruthless early in the book but later on we start to see his more vulnerable, human side. Compare and contrast these two sides of Cuchulain's nature, citing four examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Characterization of characters in literary works are often revealed to us by what they do.
(1) Choose four characters in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and give one detailed example of how their actions reveal their character, and
(2) Choose one of these characters and explain how this example have an influence on the outcome of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Heroism is a very common theme in stories of myth and legend. (a) in your own words, explain why you think this is so and the purpose it serves; (b) Give three examples of how Cuchulain is presented as a hero, for example, what characteristics and skills does the author describe; and (c) The story of Cuchulain's childhood is chronicled early in the book. Give at least two reasons why it is structured this way.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)