|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Finnabair?
2. What is the name of the bull of Cooley?
3. What does the narrator tell the reader at the end of "The Foretelling"?
4. What does Cuchulain do to the three MacArach men?
5. What is the result of the man of Ireland's dealing with Cuchulain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Irish scorn the Ulstermen in "The Misthrow at Belach Eoin"?
2. Medb decides she wants a great bull to match Ailill's. What is the outcome of this?
3. What does Cuchulain do in "The Decision of the Battle" and how is he feeling?
4. How are the charioteers from Ulster killed by the Irish?
5. What man of Ulster is angry at Cuchulain and why? What does he do?
6. What did Fergus and Cuchulain agree to do that they would never normally do. What was the result of this?
7. What does Donn the bull do after Medb lets him loose after the battle?
8. What promise does Cuchulain make to Luguid about his brother Larini?
9. How does Cuchulain feel about Fergus? Why doesn't this stop him from killing Etarcumul?
10. What choice does Cuchulain have to make in The Finding of the Bull? Which one does he choose?
Essay Topic 1
Choose four short examples of dialogue that appear in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and describe it in the context of (1) mood; (b) characterization; and (c) conflict. Make sure you identify each of the characters in the dialogue, the situation, and the chapter title.
Essay Topic 2
A "motif" is an important idea or image that reoccurs in a literary work. Name four motifs that occur in The Battle Raid of Cooley and support each with two examples.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in your own words the resolution of the story The Cattle Raid of Cooley. (2) What was the outcome for the following characters, describing it in two or three sentences:
This section contains 1,938 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)