|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cuchulain's body when he becomes very angry about the actions of the Irish?
2. The men of Ireland set off to Ulster. When they get to Cooley, what do they do?
3. Before the battle begins, what does Cuchulain see that shocks him?
4. Where did Medb and Ailill's neighboring kings' men gather?
5. How does Cuchulain kill Ferbaeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Show another example of loyalty for Cuchulain as it appears in "The Combat of Calatin's Children".
2. Cuchulain accidentally kills Ferbaeth. What was his relationship with Ferbaeth?
3. Medb decides she wants a great bull to match Ailill's. What is the outcome of this?
4. What does Ailill's spy find out about Medb and Fergus? What does Ailill do about it?
5. Who is Fedelm and what does she tell Medb?
6. What do we learn about Medb in "The Pillow Talk"?
7. Fueled by the anger of the Slaughter of the Youths, what does Cuchulain do?
8. What man of Ulster is angry at Cuchulain and why? What does he do?
9. What did Fergus and Cuchulain agree to do that they would never normally do. What was the result of this?
10. How do we know that Ferdiad and Cuchulain were equally matched warriors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose either of the following:
(a) Explain and give examples that support the characterization of Cuchulain as a superhuman young man with magical qualities. Compare and contrast this with the character of Medb, as presented in the book. Why does the author present the characters this way?
(b) Cuchulain is also presented as fairly ruthless early in the book but later on we start to see his more vulnerable, human side. Compare and contrast these two sides of Cuchulain's nature, citing four examples for each.
Essay Topic 2
Characterization of characters in literary works are often revealed to us by what they do.
(1) Choose four characters in The Cattle Raid at Cooley and give one detailed example of how their actions reveal their character, and
(2) Choose one of these characters and explain how this example have an influence on the outcome of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary term "antagonist". What is the role of an antagonist in literary works? Choose three of the characters below, and show why these characters are antagonists (with Cuchulain as the protagonist) in The Cattle Raid of Cooley (a) providing two examples of characteristics that make them an antagonist, and (b) providing two examples of situations where they behave as an antagonist..
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)