|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Morrigan disguise herself when she sees Cuchulain coming?
2. What is one of the bull of Cooley's special powers?
3. How does Cuchulain kill Mani, Medb and Ailill's son?
4. Why does the fairy put magical herbs on Cuchulain while he sleeps?
5. Where did Medb and Ailill's neighboring kings' men gather?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the mid-way point, how is the progress of the great battle?
2. As the battle approaches, what does Fergus see? What does he warn Ailill?
3. What promise does Cuchulain make to Luguid about his brother Larini?
4. How do Medb and Ailill want to use their daughter Finnabair for their own ends? What is the result?
5. How do we know both the Irish and the Ulstermen are nervous the night before the great battle?
6. Who was Ferchu and what did he do?
7. Describe Cuchulain's actions in "Now of the Battle".
8. Nathcrantail is killed for what he said about Cuchulain. What did he say?
9. What happens at the impassable river the Irish army come upon?
10. What does Ailill's spy find out about Medb and Fergus? What does Ailill do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what foreshadowing is and how it is used in The Cattle Raid of Cooley, citing three examples. Include in two of these examples how the paranormal is used: for example, prophets, witches, fairies, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is used when a concrete object is used to represent an idea or emotion. Explain the use of symbolism in Chapter 16. What is the concrete object that symbolizes something abstract? What does it symbolize? Explain with an example how this illustrates the situation of the Irish later in the chapter. Supply three more examples that show how it symbolizes the situation of the Irish later in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Define the literary term "antagonist". What is the role of an antagonist in literary works? Choose three of the characters below, and show why these characters are antagonists (with Cuchulain as the protagonist) in The Cattle Raid of Cooley (a) providing two examples of characteristics that make them an antagonist, and (b) providing two examples of situations where they behave as an antagonist..
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)