|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Fergus think what MacRoth saw in the woods is all about?
(a) Cuchulain is stronger than ever.
(b) The Irish soldiers are deserting.
(c) The Ulster army has scared the animals into the woods.
(d) Ailill is richer than anyone knew.
2. Why did the Irish pick Tamon to go to Cuchulain in disguise?
(a) Because he was dim-witted.
(b) Because he was clever.
(c) Because he was a coward.
(d) Because he was a rebel.
3. How do the Irish woman react to Cuchulain's appearance?
(a) They ask the soldiers to lift them up to see him.
(b) They won't look at him because he is their enemy.
(c) They can't see him - he is invisible to women.
(d) They think he is ugly.
4. What fraction of the Irish army survives Cuchulain's rage?
5. Who is next to fight the Irish after Menn?
(a) The scouts of Eireann.
(b) The huntsmen.
(c) The charioteers.
(d) The wizards.
6. Why did Cuchulain feel guilty about the Slaughter of the Youths?
(a) He had promised their families they wouldn't die.
(b) Many of them were his friends and cousins.
(c) He had been asleep for three days and didn't protect them.
(d) He had planned to train them before battle.
7. What does Cethern demand from Cuchulain?
(a) That he surrender.
(b) That he join him in killing Medb.
(c) That he get medical help for him.
(d) His sword.
8. What do the Irish men think of the result of the meeting of the Ulstermen?
(a) They are disgusted with the Ulster men.
(b) They plot to join them and fight Cuchulain.
(c) They want to make peace.
(d) They think Cuchulain is too weak to fight these men.
9. Dubthach of Ulster is angry with Cuchulain. Why?
(a) His wife is enamored of Cuchulain.
(b) Cuchulain tried to kidnap his wife.
(c) His wife told him Cuchulain was rude to her.
(d) Cuchulain forced his sons to join his army.
10. What do Catalin and his men do before they go into battle?
(a) Tip their weapons with poison.
(b) Sacrifice one of the their women.
(c) Kill any cow within five miles.
(d) Pray on their knees for the help of the gods.
11. Why does Medb stop Curoi from confronting Amargin?
(a) Because she loves him and wants him alive.
(b) Because he is needed for the final battle.
(c) Because his fighting skills are very poor.
(d) Because he is killing more of their men than Amargin is.
12. What do the dreams of the soldiers predict?
(a) The future of Ireland.
(b) The outcome of the great battle.
(c) Cuchulain will die.
(d) That Ulster will be destroyed.
13. Who visit the Irish in their camps?
(a) Ghosts of slain soldiers.
(c) Ghouls and spirits.
14. What does Ferdiad say he will do if he kills Cuchulain?
(a) Kill Medb.
(b) Become a druid priest.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Have himself made King of Ulster.
15. Why did the Irish name the site of the battle the Tooth-Fight?
(a) They used teeth of wild animals as their talismans.
(b) The bodies of the men were jaw-locked with one another.
(c) They were said to have fought "tooth and nail".
(d) They fought by biting each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Cethern's wounds tell?
2. The battle for Medb's daughter is called a white-fight. Why?
3. Ailill sends MacRoth into the woods. What does he see?
4. How does Laeg make Cuchulain feel better about not fighting?
5. What does Fergus finally offer to do if Cuchulain will run away?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)