|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Medb react to Fedelm's prophecy of a bloody battle?
(a) She is very nervous and afraid.
(b) She gives reasons why she isn't afraid of Conchobar.
(c) She tells Fedelm she doesn't believe in prophesies.
(d) She says she doesn't trust Fedelm.
2. Larini is a weak fighter but is being sent to fight Cuchulain. Why?
(a) He owes Medb a favor.
(b) He has volunteered for a suicide mission.
(c) He has angered Medb.
(d) Medb will make Lugaid avenge his brother's death.
3. As Cuchulain watches the Irish army march south to Ulster, why does Cuchulain grow angry with the Irish army?
(a) He has sworn to kill them all but can't do it.
(b) He is injured and fears for his life.
(c) He wants to make peace and it doesn't.
(d) It still has a huge numbers of soldiers.
4. Etarcumul declares he will kill Cuchulain. Why does Cuchulain refuse to fight him?
(a) He believes Etarcumul is his own brother.
(b) Cuchulain is afraid he would lose and die himself.
(c) Etarcumul is too young to fight.
(d) Etarcumul came with Fergus who Cuchulain calls his foster-father.
5. Where does Cuchulain sit waiting for Nathcrantrail to return?
(a) On the top of a stone column.
(b) In his secret cave.
(c) By a mountain.
(d) On his throne in his tent.
6. Who does Fergus send to tell Cuchulain that he should never be caught running from battle?
7. Which of the following is not true about Cuchulain?
(a) He is a great warrior.
(b) He is a teenager.
(c) He is considered a god.
(d) He is a great speaker.
8. Medb wants to borrow Dari of Cooley's bull for a year. What deal does MacRoth the Messenger offer Dari?
(a) She will return the bull and give him fifty heifers.
(b) She will keep the bull, but give him her friendship and protection.
(c) She will return the bull and give him a chariot.
(d) She will return the bull and give him a lot of land.
9. What does Cuchulain do each night?
(a) Tell stories and poems of his great victories.
(b) Set fires around the camps of the Irish.
(c) Kill one hundred of the Irish.
(d) Steal the Irish livestock.
10. What is Cuchulain doing while the men of Ireland are tunneling?
(a) Following them and killing some of them.
(b) Making deals with other kings to help him.
(c) Training new men for battle.
(d) Digging a tunnel from the other side.
11. Why does the narrator say it would be boring to tell about every battle?
(a) No one can remember everything.
(b) There are only a few ways to kill a man in battle.
(c) The details are too hard to understand.
(d) The results are always the same - Cuchulain is the winner.
12. How does Cuchulain trick the man of Ireland into telling him what he wants to know?
(a) By saying he would never kill an unarmed man.
(b) By giving the man his sword.
(c) By pretending to be a holy druid.
(d) By offering him a bribe.
13. What does the spy find out?
(a) Medb and Fergus are having an affair.
(b) Medb believes Ailill has turned against her.
(c) Medb is very discouraged and is planning a new strategy.
(d) Medb has disappeared with the soldiers.
14. How does Cuchulain kill Cyr?
(a) Hides in an apple tree and shoots him with an arrow.
(b) Throws an apple through his shield and head.
(c) Breaks his neck while wrestling.
(d) Hits him over the head with his shield.
15. Before the battle begins, what does Cuchulain see that shocks him?
(a) Medb and Ailill marching towards him.
(b) The trees in the valley have been chopped down.
(c) Thousands of chariots lined up for battle.
(d) The bodies of hundreds of his slain warriors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cuchulain's body when he becomes very angry about the actions of the Irish?
2. What did the Crutti Cainbili turn into after they ran away from the men of Ireland?
3. How does Cuchulain kill Medb's pet bird?
4. Why did Cuchulain promise not to kill Larini?
5. Why does the king decide to recognize young Cuchulain as a great warrior?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)