|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the king decide to recognize young Cuchulain as a great warrior?
(a) If he doesn't, Cuchulain has threatened to kill him.
(b) If he doesn't, Cuchulain's father will take his land.
(c) If he doesn't, Cuchulain will kill all the boys in the kingdom.
(d) If he doesn't, Cuchulain will kill his livestock.
2. Why is Fergus chosen to be the spokesman with the powerful men of Ulster?
(a) He is Conchobar's brother and knows how to handle him.
(b) He is the only one who speaks their language well.
(c) He was an Ulster king himself before Conchobar drove him out.
(d) He has been an advisor to all the powerful men of Ulster.
3. Who does Fergus send to tell Cuchulain that he should never be caught running from battle?
4. How does Cuchulain trick the man of Ireland into telling him what he wants to know?
(a) By saying he would never kill an unarmed man.
(b) By pretending to be a holy druid.
(c) By giving the man his sword.
(d) By offering him a bribe.
5. Why does Fergus take the time to tell the Irishmen about Cuchulain's youthful exploits?
(a) So they are prepared to deal with a powerful threat.
(b) So they can bring in more men to fight.
(c) So they can make a plan to capture him.
(d) So they can cancel the battle and go home.
6. What are Ailill and Medb talking about as they lie in their bed?
(a) Their wealth.
(b) That Ailill was a king before he married Medb.
(c) Their health.
(d) That Medb did not get along with her father.
7. The stories about Cuchulain show that he has amazing abilities but he also has a flaw. What is it?
(a) He wants to be top dog, no matter who suffers.
(b) He changes his strategy too often.
(c) He is not physically strong.
(d) He takes too long to make decisions.
8. How does Medb break an agreement by sending six Druids to fight Cuchulain?
(a) Cuchulain will kill all her relatives if she does this.
(b) Religious men should not fight Cuchulain.
(c) The Druids have no fighting skills.
(d) Only one man at a time should fight Cuchulain.
9. Why does the fairy put magical herbs on Cuchulain while he sleeps?
(a) To heal his wounds.
(b) To give him the power to see the future.
(c) To give him superhuman eyesight.
(d) To increase his strength.
10. Why does Nathcrantail tell Medb that Cuchulain is a coward?
(a) Cuchulain ran away from Nathcrantail when he saw him coming.
(b) Cuchulain ran after a flock of birds.
(c) Cuchulain would not talk to anyone without ten bodyguards.
(d) Cuchulain threw down his sword at Nathcrantail's feet.
11. What fraction of the young boys of Ulster march off to help Cuchulain defeat the Irish?
12. What does the narrator tell the reader at the end of "The Foretelling"?
(a) The introduction is over and the body of the story is next.
(b) That the narrator was Medb's personal bodyguard.
(c) That the story will be lost forever if not spoken aloud.
(d) That the introduction was just a dream sequence.
13. What are the men of Ireland finally able to do after they finish the tunnel?
(a) Cross the stream and take their supplies with them.
(b) Trap Cuchulain in a cave.
(c) Finish the tunnel and reach Ulster.
(d) Go around the mountain on foot.
14. What does Medb do as she makes her way through Ulster?
(a) Names all the places after herself.
(b) Steals everything she can.
(c) Makes the men join her army.
(d) Kills everyone she comes across.
15. As Cuchulain watches the Irish army march south to Ulster, why does Cuchulain grow angry with the Irish army?
(a) He is injured and fears for his life.
(b) He has sworn to kill them all but can't do it.
(c) It still has a huge numbers of soldiers.
(d) He wants to make peace and it doesn't.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fergus get Cuchulain to agree to?
2. Due to Munremar and Curoi's activities, what does Medb ask Cuchulain to do?
3. What happens to Cuchulain's body when he becomes very angry about the actions of the Irish?
4. How does Cuchulain get his revenge on Medb for sending six Druids to fight him?
5. The men of Ireland set off to Ulster. When they get to Cooley, what do they do?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)