|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the bull enter Medb's possession?
(a) It is given to her as a gift from the Irish man who found it.
(b) She steals it from Cuchulain's men.
(c) She trades a bag full of gold for it.
(d) Cuchulain fights the Irish and the cattle run to the Irish camp.
2. The men of Ireland set off to Ulster. When they get to Cooley, what do they do?
(a) Surround Cooley and just wait.
(b) Destroy all the villages in the area.
(c) Raid Conchobar's castle.
(d) Divide into groups and look for the bull.
3. What is Cuchulain doing while the men of Ireland are tunneling?
(a) Following them and killing some of them.
(b) Training new men for battle.
(c) Making deals with other kings to help him.
(d) Digging a tunnel from the other side.
4. As Cuchulain watches the Irish army march south to Ulster, why does Cuchulain grow angry with the Irish army?
(a) He wants to make peace and it doesn't.
(b) He has sworn to kill them all but can't do it.
(c) It still has a huge numbers of soldiers.
(d) He is injured and fears for his life.
5. What did Cuchulain get the man of Ireland to tell him?
(a) Where the Irish troops are hiding.
(b) The quickest way to get to Dublin.
(c) The best way to find food for his own troops.
(d) Which tent Medb and Ailill are sleeping in.
6. How did the men of Ireland and Ulster honor the men who died in battle?
(a) They named the land where they fell after them.
(b) They held special ceremonies every year.
(c) They built statues on the battlefields.
(d) They gave their widows gold.
7. Cuchulain comes across one of the men of Ireland. What does he help him do?
(a) Fix the chariots destroyed the day before.
(b) Plan a strategy to attack Cuchulain's men.
(c) Bury the heads of the slain frontrunners.
(d) Set up camps for the men of Ireland.
8. How does Cuchulain get his revenge on Medb for sending six Druids to fight him?
(a) He takes one hundred soldiers prisoner.
(b) He captures and tortures Medb's beloved dog.
(c) He kills some soldiers with his slingshot.
(d) He makes plans to capture Medb.
9. Ferbaeth is next in line to fight Cuchulain. What is his relationship to Cuchulain?
(a) He is his foster brother.
(b) He is his personal assistant.
(c) He is his physician.
(d) He is his cousin.
10. In her second disguise, Morrigan is an eel. What does she do to Cuchulain in battle?
(a) Scares him so he drops his shield.
(b) Slithers under his armor and tickles him.
(c) Binds herself around his arms.
(d) Binds herself around his feet.
11. How many young boys of Ulster march off to help Cuchulan defeat the Irish?
(a) Two hundred and fifty.
(b) Eight hundred and fifty.
(c) One hundred and fifty.
(d) Four hundred and fifty.
12. Medb wants to borrow Dari of Cooley's bull for a year. What deal does MacRoth the Messenger offer Dari?
(a) She will keep the bull, but give him her friendship and protection.
(b) She will return the bull and give him fifty heifers.
(c) She will return the bull and give him a lot of land.
(d) She will return the bull and give him a chariot.
13. What do Medb and Ailill think is responsible for Cuchulain's success in battle?
(a) He has a magic slingshot.
(b) He has a magic spearlet.
(c) His warriors really do all the work.
(d) His druids cast battle spells.
14. When Loch is dying, what does he beg Cuchulain to do?
(a) Pull his spear out of Loch's chest.
(b) Stop all the battles and make peace.
(c) Kill Loch's second-in-command.
(d) Step backward so Loch can fall forward.
15. How does Medb break an agreement by sending six Druids to fight Cuchulain?
(a) Only one man at a time should fight Cuchulain.
(b) Religious men should not fight Cuchulain.
(c) The Druids have no fighting skills.
(d) Cuchulain will kill all her relatives if she does this.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Cuchulain's body when he becomes very angry about the actions of the Irish?
2. Why does Nathcrantail tell Medb that Cuchulain is a coward?
3. What job does Laeg do for Cuchulain?
4. Who decides to try to kill Cuchulain after the slaughter of the boy troop?
5. Etarcumul declares he will kill Cuchulain. Why does Cuchulain refuse to fight him?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)