|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Larini is a weak fighter but is being sent to fight Cuchulain. Why?
(a) He has volunteered for a suicide mission.
(b) Medb will make Lugaid avenge his brother's death.
(c) He owes Medb a favor.
(d) He has angered Medb.
2. Why is Fergus chosen to be the spokesman with the powerful men of Ulster?
(a) He is the only one who speaks their language well.
(b) He has been an advisor to all the powerful men of Ulster.
(c) He was an Ulster king himself before Conchobar drove him out.
(d) He is Conchobar's brother and knows how to handle him.
3. What does Cuchulain propose by saying he won't kill the men anymore if he gets food and water each day?
(a) A declaration of war.
(b) A surrender.
(c) A ceasefire.
(d) A truce.
4. Which of the following is not true about Cuchulain?
(a) He is a great speaker.
(b) He is a great warrior.
(c) He is considered a god.
(d) He is a teenager.
5. Why were the men of Ireland waiting around for two weeks?
(a) They were waiting for a sign to go into battle.
(b) They were training for battle.
(c) They were deciding which men would be in each unit.
(d) They were waiting for supplies to arrive.
6. In her second disguise, Morrigan is an eel. What does she do to Cuchulain in battle?
(a) Binds herself around his feet.
(b) Scares him so he drops his shield.
(c) Binds herself around his arms.
(d) Slithers under his armor and tickles him.
7. Why does Nathcrantail tell Medb that Cuchulain is a coward?
(a) Cuchulain would not talk to anyone without ten bodyguards.
(b) Cuchulain threw down his sword at Nathcrantail's feet.
(c) Cuchulain ran after a flock of birds.
(d) Cuchulain ran away from Nathcrantail when he saw him coming.
8. What does Cuchulain do every day to prepare for battle?
(a) Chooses the best horse.
(b) Plays chess to improve his strategies.
(c) Practices his skills and stays fit.
(d) Talks with his advisors.
9. Who finds the bull of Cooley?
(d) Brian Boru.
10. What does the narrator tell the reader at the end of "The Foretelling"?
(a) The introduction is over and the body of the story is next.
(b) That the introduction was just a dream sequence.
(c) That the story will be lost forever if not spoken aloud.
(d) That the narrator was Medb's personal bodyguard.
11. Why does the king decide to recognize young Cuchulain as a great warrior?
(a) If he doesn't, Cuchulain will kill all the boys in the kingdom.
(b) If he doesn't, Cuchulain's father will take his land.
(c) If he doesn't, Cuchulain has threatened to kill him.
(d) If he doesn't, Cuchulain will kill his livestock.
12. What do Medb and Ailill think is responsible for Cuchulain's success in battle?
(a) His druids cast battle spells.
(b) He has a magic spearlet.
(c) He has a magic slingshot.
(d) His warriors really do all the work.
13. The men of Ireland set off to Ulster. When they get to Cooley, what do they do?
(a) Raid Conchobar's castle.
(b) Destroy all the villages in the area.
(c) Divide into groups and look for the bull.
(d) Surround Cooley and just wait.
14. How does Cuchulain kill Cyr?
(a) Hits him over the head with his shield.
(b) Throws an apple through his shield and head.
(c) Hides in an apple tree and shoots him with an arrow.
(d) Breaks his neck while wrestling.
15. Where did Medb and Ailill's neighboring kings' men gather?
(a) At Cruachan.
(b) At Fergus.
(c) At Dublin.
(d) At Connacht.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ailill do about the marching boys of Ulster?
2. What job does Laeg do for Cuchulain?
3. What are the men of Ireland finally able to do after they finish the tunnel?
4. What does Fergus get Cuchulain to agree to?
5. Fedelm is a prophet. What is she doing when Medb meets her for the first time?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)