|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Larini is a weak fighter but is being sent to fight Cuchulain. Why?
(a) He has volunteered for a suicide mission.
(b) Medb will make Lugaid avenge his brother's death.
(c) He owes Medb a favor.
(d) He has angered Medb.
2. Why is Finnabair killed?
(a) She is not beautiful enough to be Cuchulain's bride.
(b) She lies to Cuchulain about Medb.
(c) She tries to kill Cuchulain herself.
(d) Cochulain catches on to a trick Ailill tries to pull on him.
3. Why did Cuchulain promise not to kill Larini?
(a) Larini had once saved his life.
(b) Larini's brother was another old Ulster friend.
(c) Cuchulain was afraid of Larini.
(d) Cuchulain felt sorry for simple-minded Larini.
4. What does Medb do while Cuchulain is with Morrigan?
(a) Send a spy to find out where Cuchulain is.
(b) Send Druids out to find Morrigan.
(c) Send one hundred men to fight him.
(d) Plot with Ailill to offer Cuchulain her daughter.
5. Why is Cuchulain sad about fighting Ferbaeth?
(a) He is his favorite uncle.
(b) He is his spiritual advisor.
(c) He admires his courage.
(d) He was raised with him.
6. What does Ailill do about the marching boys of Ulster?
(a) He makes them into slaves.
(b) He sends his own men to destroy them.
(c) He takes them all prisoner.
(d) He ignores them - they are just kids.
7. What are the men of Ireland finally able to do after they finish the tunnel?
(a) Finish the tunnel and reach Ulster.
(b) Go around the mountain on foot.
(c) Cross the stream and take their supplies with them.
(d) Trap Cuchulain in a cave.
8. Why does Nathcrantail tell Medb that Cuchulain is a coward?
(a) Cuchulain ran after a flock of birds.
(b) Cuchulain would not talk to anyone without ten bodyguards.
(c) Cuchulain threw down his sword at Nathcrantail's feet.
(d) Cuchulain ran away from Nathcrantail when he saw him coming.
9. At the age of five, how does Cuchulain show he has special abilities?
(a) He fought off 150 other boys with his bare hands and toys.
(b) He can memorize his lessons in only minutes.
(c) He helps Conchobar with his battle strategy.
(d) He can lift three times his weight.
10. The Crutti Cainbilli were not ordinary men at all. What were they?
(c) Kings and princes.
(d) Christian priests.
11. Why does the fairy put magical herbs on Cuchulain while he sleeps?
(a) To increase his strength.
(b) To give him the power to see the future.
(c) To give him superhuman eyesight.
(d) To heal his wounds.
12. What did the Crutti Cainbili turn into after they ran away from the men of Ireland?
13. How does Medb react to Fedelm's prophecy of a bloody battle?
(a) She tells Fedelm she doesn't believe in prophesies.
(b) She says she doesn't trust Fedelm.
(c) She gives reasons why she isn't afraid of Conchobar.
(d) She is very nervous and afraid.
14. What do Ailill and Medb want to ask Cuchulain for after the slaughter of the boy trooper?
(a) Prisoners of war.
(b) A truce.
(c) A final showdown.
(d) Carts to transport soldiers.
15. What does Cuchulain do to the three MacArach men?
(a) Decapitates them.
(b) Laughs at them and rides off.
(c) Marches them off to his camp.
(d) Throws them into a pit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fergus send to tell Cuchulain that he should never be caught running from battle?
2. The men of Ireland set off to Ulster. When they get to Cooley, what do they do?
3. In her second disguise, Morrigan is an eel. What does she do to Cuchulain in battle?
4. How did the men of Ireland and Ulster honor the men who died in battle?
5. How does Morrigan disguise herself when she sees Cuchulain coming?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)