|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cuchulain increase his killing as Medb moves into Ulster?
(a) They are taunting him and it angers him.
(b) They are increasing their numbers of warriors.
(c) He is nervous that they are getting stronger.
(d) They are reaching his own lands.
2. What job does Laeg do for Cuchulain?
(a) He is his personal assistant.
(b) He is his battle advisor.
(c) He is his chariot driver.
(d) He is his fortune teller.
3. What does the narrator tell the reader at the end of "The Foretelling"?
(a) That the introduction was just a dream sequence.
(b) That the narrator was Medb's personal bodyguard.
(c) That the story will be lost forever if not spoken aloud.
(d) The introduction is over and the body of the story is next.
4. Why did Cuchulain promise not to kill Larini?
(a) Cuchulain was afraid of Larini.
(b) Larini had once saved his life.
(c) Larini's brother was another old Ulster friend.
(d) Cuchulain felt sorry for simple-minded Larini.
5. Why is Cuchulain sad about fighting Ferbaeth?
(a) He admires his courage.
(b) He is his favorite uncle.
(c) He was raised with him.
(d) He is his spiritual advisor.
6. Dari accepts Medb's offer. After the feast to celebrate, he changes his mind. Why?
(a) He realizes he needs the bull in order to stay wealthy.
(b) At the drunken feast, he is treated disrespectfully by Medb's men.
(c) He believes Medb has lied to him about her plans.
(d) He overhears a drunken man say they'd have taken the bull by force anyway.
7. How does Cuchulain kill Medb's pet bird?
(a) He traps it with a net.
(b) He throws a rock at it.
(c) With a slingshot.
(d) He sends a cat after it.
8. At the age of five, how does Cuchulain show he has special abilities?
(a) He fought off 150 other boys with his bare hands and toys.
(b) He can memorize his lessons in only minutes.
(c) He helps Conchobar with his battle strategy.
(d) He can lift three times his weight.
9. What are Ailill and Medb talking about as they lie in their bed?
(a) That Ailill was a king before he married Medb.
(b) Their health.
(c) Their wealth.
(d) That Medb did not get along with her father.
10. What is Cuchulain doing while the men of Ireland are tunneling?
(a) Following them and killing some of them.
(b) Digging a tunnel from the other side.
(c) Making deals with other kings to help him.
(d) Training new men for battle.
11. Who decides to try to kill Cuchulain after the slaughter of the boy troop?
(a) Six princes.
(b) His half-brother.
12. What are Munremar and Curoi involved in?
(a) Stealing livestock from the Irish.
(b) A feud.
(c) A business.
(d) A plot.
13. What is the name of the bull of Cooley?
14. Cuchulain had another name before he took the name Cuchulain. What was it?
(a) Brian Boru.
15. How does Medb break an agreement by sending six Druids to fight Cuchulain?
(a) Only one man at a time should fight Cuchulain.
(b) Religious men should not fight Cuchulain.
(c) The Druids have no fighting skills.
(d) Cuchulain will kill all her relatives if she does this.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many young boys of Ulster march off to help Cuchulan defeat the Irish?
2. What fraction of the young boys of Ulster march off to help Cuchulain defeat the Irish?
3. When Loch is dying, what does he beg Cuchulain to do?
4. What is one of the bull of Cooley's special powers?
5. What does the spy find out?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)