|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Finnabair's death?
(a) Ailill and Medb agree there will be no truce with Cuchulain.
(b) Medb offers Cuchulain one of her daughters as a bride.
(c) The truce is renewed with changes.
(d) Fergus goes over to Cuchulain's side.
2. Why does the king decide to recognize young Cuchulain as a great warrior?
(a) If he doesn't, Cuchulain will kill his livestock.
(b) If he doesn't, Cuchulain has threatened to kill him.
(c) If he doesn't, Cuchulain will kill all the boys in the kingdom.
(d) If he doesn't, Cuchulain's father will take his land.
3. Who is Finnabair?
(a) Medb's mother.
(b) Ailill's daughter.
(c) A prophetess who Cuchulain has killed.
(d) Fergus's daughter.
4. Why does Fergus take the time to tell the Irishmen about Cuchulain's youthful exploits?
(a) So they are prepared to deal with a powerful threat.
(b) So they can bring in more men to fight.
(c) So they can cancel the battle and go home.
(d) So they can make a plan to capture him.
5. Why did Lochi wear a golden tiara?
(a) It meant she was an adult woman.
(b) It protected her from evil spirits.
(c) It meant she was related to the queen.
(d) It showed that she was a royal maid.
6. How does the fairy Morrigan first disguise herself in battle with Cuchulain?
(a) As a white cow.
(b) As a white horse.
(c) As a white bird.
(d) As a white cat.
7. What does Medb do as she makes her way through Ulster?
(a) Kills everyone she comes across.
(b) Makes the men join her army.
(c) Steals everything she can.
(d) Names all the places after herself.
8. Why does the narrator say it would be boring to tell about every battle?
(a) The details are too hard to understand.
(b) No one can remember everything.
(c) There are only a few ways to kill a man in battle.
(d) The results are always the same - Cuchulain is the winner.
9. Larini is a weak fighter but is being sent to fight Cuchulain. Why?
(a) He owes Medb a favor.
(b) He has volunteered for a suicide mission.
(c) He has angered Medb.
(d) Medb will make Lugaid avenge his brother's death.
10. Why was it unusual that Cuchulain killed Lochi?
(a) She was actually from Ulster.
(b) Mythic war heros rarely killed innocent women.
(c) The druids would punish him for killing an unarmed person.
(d) He knew that this would truly anger the men of Ireland.
11. What are the men of Ireland finally able to do after they finish the tunnel?
(a) Cross the stream and take their supplies with them.
(b) Go around the mountain on foot.
(c) Trap Cuchulain in a cave.
(d) Finish the tunnel and reach Ulster.
12. Dari accepts Medb's offer. After the feast to celebrate, he changes his mind. Why?
(a) He realizes he needs the bull in order to stay wealthy.
(b) He believes Medb has lied to him about her plans.
(c) At the drunken feast, he is treated disrespectfully by Medb's men.
(d) He overhears a drunken man say they'd have taken the bull by force anyway.
13. Why was Medb a powerful person in her own right?
(a) She was the widow of an Irish king.
(b) She had made some excellent investments.
(c) She was a warrior queen.
(d) She was a favorite daughter of a high king of Ireland.
14. How does Cuchulain kill Ferbaeth?
(a) With poison.
(b) By accidentally throwing a stake behind him.
(c) He sends someone else to do it.
(d) He digs a hole for him to fall into.
15. What does the narrator tell the reader at the end of "The Foretelling"?
(a) That the narrator was Medb's personal bodyguard.
(b) That the introduction was just a dream sequence.
(c) The introduction is over and the body of the story is next.
(d) That the story will be lost forever if not spoken aloud.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Cuchulain promise not to kill Larini?
2. What is Medb's reaction to Etarcumul's death?
3. Why is Fergus chosen to be the spokesman with the powerful men of Ulster?
4. What does Forgemen do?
5. What does Cuchulain pray for Morrigan?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)