|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it unusual that Cuchulain killed Lochi?
(a) She was actually from Ulster.
(b) He knew that this would truly anger the men of Ireland.
(c) The druids would punish him for killing an unarmed person.
(d) Mythic war heros rarely killed innocent women.
2. What is Medb's reaction to Etarcumul's death?
(a) She screams in rage.
(b) She cries in grief.
(c) She surrenders and starts for home.
(d) She kills Fergus.
3. What did the Crutti Cainbili turn into after they ran away from the men of Ireland?
4. What is the name of the bull of Cooley?
5. Why is Finnabair killed?
(a) She lies to Cuchulain about Medb.
(b) She is not beautiful enough to be Cuchulain's bride.
(c) She tries to kill Cuchulain herself.
(d) Cochulain catches on to a trick Ailill tries to pull on him.
6. Why was Cyr chosen to fight Cuchulain?
(a) He will take any risk to kill Cuchulain.
(b) He has the largest number of soldiers.
(c) He is the strongest warrior the Irish have.
(d) He is not liked very much.
7. After Redg the Satirist is killed, how many men do Medb and Ailill send to battle with Cuchulain?
8. What is the result of Finnabair's death?
(a) The truce is renewed with changes.
(b) Fergus goes over to Cuchulain's side.
(c) Medb offers Cuchulain one of her daughters as a bride.
(d) Ailill and Medb agree there will be no truce with Cuchulain.
9. What does Cuchulain do each night?
(a) Tell stories and poems of his great victories.
(b) Steal the Irish livestock.
(c) Kill one hundred of the Irish.
(d) Set fires around the camps of the Irish.
10. What does Cuchulain pray for Morrigan?
(a) That she will tell him where Medb is.
(b) That her injuries would heal.
(c) That she will live to be a hundred.
(d) That she will find riches.
11. How does Cuchulain kill Cyr?
(a) Hits him over the head with his shield.
(b) Breaks his neck while wrestling.
(c) Hides in an apple tree and shoots him with an arrow.
(d) Throws an apple through his shield and head.
12. Larini is a weak fighter but is being sent to fight Cuchulain. Why?
(a) Medb will make Lugaid avenge his brother's death.
(b) He owes Medb a favor.
(c) He has angered Medb.
(d) He has volunteered for a suicide mission.
13. How does the army get the cattle herd to trample Forgemen to death?
(a) They drive Forgemen and the cattle into a narrow valley.
(b) They tie Forgemen to a swinging gate and let the cattle through.
(c) They make him lie down in the cattle barn where the animals eat.
(d) They have the dogs round up the cattle where Forgemen sleeps on the ground.
14. Who decides to try to kill Cuchulain after the slaughter of the boy troop?
(a) His half-brother.
(d) Six princes.
15. What did Cuchulain get the man of Ireland to tell him?
(a) The best way to find food for his own troops.
(b) The quickest way to get to Dublin.
(c) Where the Irish troops are hiding.
(d) Which tent Medb and Ailill are sleeping in.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cuchulain convince Loch that he should fight him?
2. Why does the narrator say it would be boring to tell about every battle?
3. What does Medb offer Cuchulain if he will stop killing her men?
4. The stories about Cuchulain show that he has amazing abilities but he also has a flaw. What is it?
5. Why does the king decide to recognize young Cuchulain as a great warrior?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)