|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Medb and Ailill split into two groups. What does Ailill then do?
(a) He sends a spy to see what Medb and Fergus are doing.
(b) He ambushes a group of Cuchalain's men.
(c) He stops and camps for a while because he is ill.
(d) He gets lost on the unfamiliar road.
2. How does the army get the cattle herd to trample Forgemen to death?
(a) They make him lie down in the cattle barn where the animals eat.
(b) They have the dogs round up the cattle where Forgemen sleeps on the ground.
(c) They drive Forgemen and the cattle into a narrow valley.
(d) They tie Forgemen to a swinging gate and let the cattle through.
3. Who finds the bull of Cooley?
(d) Brian Boru.
4. What does Forgemen do?
(a) He negotiates everything between Medb and Cuchulain.
(b) He takes care of the great bull of Cooley.
(c) He takes care of the other cattle of Cooley.
(d) He makes sure the armor is ready for the Irish fighters.
5. What is Cuchulain doing while the men of Ireland are tunneling?
(a) Training new men for battle.
(b) Making deals with other kings to help him.
(c) Digging a tunnel from the other side.
(d) Following them and killing some of them.
6. How does Cuchulain kill Medb's pet bird?
(a) He throws a rock at it.
(b) He traps it with a net.
(c) He sends a cat after it.
(d) With a slingshot.
7. What does Ailill do about the marching boys of Ulster?
(a) He takes them all prisoner.
(b) He makes them into slaves.
(c) He ignores them - they are just kids.
(d) He sends his own men to destroy them.
8. The stories about Cuchulain show that he has amazing abilities but he also has a flaw. What is it?
(a) He wants to be top dog, no matter who suffers.
(b) He is not physically strong.
(c) He changes his strategy too often.
(d) He takes too long to make decisions.
9. Why does Nathcrantail tell Medb that Cuchulain is a coward?
(a) Cuchulain threw down his sword at Nathcrantail's feet.
(b) Cuchulain ran away from Nathcrantail when he saw him coming.
(c) Cuchulain ran after a flock of birds.
(d) Cuchulain would not talk to anyone without ten bodyguards.
10. After Redg the Satirist is killed, how many men do Medb and Ailill send to battle with Cuchulain?
11. How does Cuchulain get his revenge on Medb for sending six Druids to fight him?
(a) He takes one hundred soldiers prisoner.
(b) He makes plans to capture Medb.
(c) He kills some soldiers with his slingshot.
(d) He captures and tortures Medb's beloved dog.
12. Why is Fergus chosen to be the spokesman with the powerful men of Ulster?
(a) He was an Ulster king himself before Conchobar drove him out.
(b) He has been an advisor to all the powerful men of Ulster.
(c) He is Conchobar's brother and knows how to handle him.
(d) He is the only one who speaks their language well.
13. How does the bull enter Medb's possession?
(a) It is given to her as a gift from the Irish man who found it.
(b) She steals it from Cuchulain's men.
(c) Cuchulain fights the Irish and the cattle run to the Irish camp.
(d) She trades a bag full of gold for it.
14. What is one of the bull of Cooley's special powers?
(a) He is so large he can kill three men with one step.
(b) He can speak.
(c) He breeds with heifers who give birth the next day.
(d) He breeds with heifers who always have twins.
15. Why does Cuchulain increase his killing as Medb moves into Ulster?
(a) They are taunting him and it angers him.
(b) They are reaching his own lands.
(c) They are increasing their numbers of warriors.
(d) He is nervous that they are getting stronger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Medb and Ailill think is responsible for Cuchulain's success in battle?
2. What does Cuchulain do to the three MacArach men?
3. How does Cuchulain kill Mani, Medb and Ailill's son?
4. What did the Crutti Cainbili turn into after they ran away from the men of Ireland?
5. Why does the king decide to recognize young Cuchulain as a great warrior?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)