|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elaine describe herself in the eleventh grade?
2. Does Elaine agree to help Cordelia get out of the rest home?
3. How is Elaine described in the article about her in Entertainment?
4. Why did Cordelia dig holes in the yard when she was young?
5. What do the people of Mexico leave for the dead that Elaine muses about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is an important part of Elaine's life. From a young age, she begins to hide her true thoughts from others, and she keeps her feelings inside throughout the novel. Discuss the role of secrecy in the novel.
1) Why does the company of other girls make Elaine begin to hide her thoughts?
2) Why does Elaine envy women who can express rage, like Jon's ex-girlfriend?
3) How does Elaine suppress her feelings and emotions during the book? What other things does she keep secret?
Essay Topic 2
There are many instances of theft and begging in the novel. Discuss the significance of theft and begging to the novel.
1) Why does Elaine think of Cordelia when someone tries to steal her wallet? In what way has Cordelia stolen from her?
2) Why does Elaine always give to people who beg from her? Why does Elaine think one woman who comes to beg from her might be Cordelia?
3) Who has stolen or taken (emotionally) from Elaine during her life? Is Elaine partially responsible for these instances?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Elaine's art retrospective.
1) How does the art retrospective make Elaine look back on her life? How is her artwork related to the progression of her life?
2) How does Elaine feel about the art retrospective, and why does she feel this way? How does she feel about her paintings and about her career as an artist?
3) Why does Elaine want her pictures presented chronologically?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)