|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie does Elaine think could have been directed by Josef?
2. How does Elaine think Cordelia might react to the article?
3. What does Elaine do when Jon first takes her out for a beer?
4. What was the purpose of the beautiful and meaningful Virgin Mary statue Elaine saw?
5. What does Elaine find in her parents' cellar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secrecy is an important part of Elaine's life. From a young age, she begins to hide her true thoughts from others, and she keeps her feelings inside throughout the novel. Discuss the role of secrecy in the novel.
1) Why does the company of other girls make Elaine begin to hide her thoughts?
2) Why does Elaine envy women who can express rage, like Jon's ex-girlfriend?
3) How does Elaine suppress her feelings and emotions during the book? What other things does she keep secret?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss control in the novel.
1) Elaine believes that Cordelia wants her to kill herself, and is putting thoughts of suicide in her mind when Elaine is a young girl. How does Cordelia control her at that age? Does Elaine have a choice in the relationship?
2) Who has the control when Elaine and Cordelia are in high school, and why?
3) Does Cordelia continue to control Elaine, even when they are apart, years later in their lives?
4) Why does Elaine allow Josef to control her during their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of time in the book.
1) What is Elaine's attitude toward time? How does she think of time, and why does she think of it this way?
2) How does Elaine's perception of time differ from Stephen's perception of time?
3) How is time portrayed in the novel? How is time in the novel symbolic?
4) How does time relate to memory in the novel?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)