|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape is the hole Cordelia begins to dig in the back yard?
2. What are the girls playing when they put Elaine into the hole?
3. What does Cordelia do with Elaine's hat?
4. Who does Elaine pray to instead of God?
5. When Elaine dreams of Toronto, where is she?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stephen worried about, when Elaine goes to high school?
2. How does Elaine describe her marriage to Jon?
3. What does Elaine imagine will happen the day a famous figure is scheduled to come down her street in Toronto?
4. What do Elaine and Cordelia do at lunch time, when they first go to high school together?
5. Why doesn't Charna want Elaine to be in the gallery when people begin arriving for the art retrospective?
6. What is the major element of her life that Elaine comes to terms with at the end of the novel?
7. How does Elaine feel when she sees her old school doesn't exist anymore?
8. Describe Elaine's experience when the girls leave her in the hole.
9. How does Elaine react to the other girls' bullying?
10. How does Elaine feel when she visits the new school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many instances of theft and begging in the novel. Discuss the significance of theft and begging to the novel.
1) Why does Elaine think of Cordelia when someone tries to steal her wallet? In what way has Cordelia stolen from her?
2) Why does Elaine always give to people who beg from her? Why does Elaine think one woman who comes to beg from her might be Cordelia?
3) Who has stolen or taken (emotionally) from Elaine during her life? Is Elaine partially responsible for these instances?
Essay Topic 2
Elaine is drawn to religion but also rejects it. Discuss the importance and meaning of religion in the novel.
1) What is Grace's mother's attitude to religion? How do her values affect her children?
2) Why does Elaine choose hell over forgiving Grace's mother? How does she perceive God? Why does she seek out different churches as an adult?
3) Why does Elaine embrace the Virgin Mary as an alternative to God? What does the Virgin Mary that Elaine visits in Mexico mean to her?
4) What is the meaning of Elaine's vision of the Virgin Mary when she is in the icy ravine?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structure of the book and its use of flashbacks.
1) Why did the author choose this particular present time to anchor the flashbacks?
2) What purpose do the flashbacks serve, and how would this book be different if it were told chronologically?
3) How does the past intrude into the present time for Elaine, and how does that compare to the reader's experience of the flashbacks?
4) Why are the flashbacks presented in the order that they are?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)