|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elaine feel about Grace Smeath's mother?
(a) She feels apologetic towar her.
(b) She dislikes her and avoids her.
(c) She loves her cooking.
(d) She feels badly for her.
2. What relationship does Stephen have to the narrator?
3. What does Elaine's mother tell her to do?
(a) Pretend everything is okay.
(b) Ignore the other girls.
(c) Stand up for herself.
(d) Avoid the other girls.
4. Who does Elaine pray to instead of God?
(a) Saint Bernadette.
(b) The baby Jesus.
(c) The Holy Ghost.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
5. At the store, what does someone try to steal from Elaine?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Her wallet.
(c) Her watch.
(d) Her package.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is strange about the girls' seating arrangements at the parade?
2. What careers do Elaine's daughters have?
3. What do the girls put over Elaine?
4. What is Ben's advice to Elaine about going to the art retrospective?
5. What are the girls playing when they put Elaine into the hole?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stephen worried about, when Elaine goes to high school?
2. What does the narrator think happens to things that are past?
3. What does Carol tell all the other children about Elaine?
4. Describe how Elaine and Cordelia are different in biology class.
5. How and why do Elaine's feelings for Mrs. Smeath change?
6. What is Elaine's attitude toward marriage while she is dating Josef?
7. What does Elaine imagine will happen the day a famous figure is scheduled to come down her street in Toronto?
8. What is the condition of the city where the narrator used to get off the streetcar, compared to how the narrator remembers it?
9. How does Elaine feel when she first meets Cordelia?
10. Throughout the novel, who does Elaine think she sees in crowds or around town?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)