|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Elaine know the Santa Claus in the parade is not the real Santa?
(a) Yes, but not until her father tells her later.
(b) No, she believes he is real.
(c) Yes, she knows he is someone dressed as Santa.
(d) No, at first she thinks he isn't real, but she gets convinced during the parade.
2. What do Elaine's friends tell her about their bullying?
(a) That they are trying to help her improve herself.
(b) That they are preparing her for the real world.
(c) That they are smarter and can outwit her.
(d) That they are bigger and stronger and she must obey.
3. What trick does Elaine begin using to get out of situations she doesn't like?
(a) Pretending to have a siezure.
(b) Making her nose bleed.
(d) Having a screaming fit.
4. What is the name of the new friend that Elaine makes?
5. What store does Elaine go to?
(a) Kitty's Kite Shop.
(b) Barbie's Candy Store.
(c) Johnson's Hardware.
(d) Simpson's Department Store.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Elaine like the gallery where her art is exhibited?
2. Does Elaine know about the interview?
3. What does Elaine have to drink while she's at the store?
4. What does Elaine buy for the art exhibit?
5. Who does Elaine think is telling her to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elaine try to frighten Cordelia in tenth grade?
2. How does Elaine feel when she attributes her feelings to Cordelia, instead of to herself?
3. How does Elaine feel about the women she talks to at the art retrospective?
4. What does Elaine imagine will happen the day a famous figure is scheduled to come down her street in Toronto?
5. How does Cordelia act when Elaine's father comes to check on the girls watching the parade?
6. What is the major element of her life that Elaine comes to terms with at the end of the novel?
7. What is the condition of the city where the narrator used to get off the streetcar, compared to how the narrator remembers it?
8. What was Elaine's reaction to statues of the Virgin Mary she saw in churches?
9. Describe Elaine's experience when the girls leave her in the hole.
10. Why is Cordelia in the rest home?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)