Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elaine think of Jon's dirty mattress when they were first dating?
(a) She was afraid of it.
(b) She hated it.
(c) She was repulsed by it.
(d) She liked it.
2. What do Elaine's friends tell her about their bullying?
(a) That they are trying to help her improve herself.
(b) That they are preparing her for the real world.
(c) That they are bigger and stronger and she must obey.
(d) That they are smarter and can outwit her.
3. Does Elaine like the gallery where her art is exhibited?
(a) Yes, she begins to like it after a while.
(b) Yes, she likes it immediately.
(c) No, she doesn't like the street it's on.
(d) No, she doesn't like the environment.
4. In the present time, where does the narrator look as she walks down the street?
(a) Into all the shop windows.
(b) At the women's clothes and hair.
(c) At the sidewalk.
(d) Up at the sky.
5. Why doesn't Elaine want to look at her paintings?
(a) She is afraid of the angry feelings they bring up.
(b) She finds mistakes and wants to start over.
(c) They make her too sad about her past losses.
(d) She thinks they'll influence her newer paintings.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elaine dreams of Toronto, where is she?
2. What does Elaine try to do instead of playing with her friends?
3. What do the two women Elaine hears talking about her at the Smeath house call her?
4. What does Elaine notice about the boys and girls at Tortonto's shopping centers?
5. At the store, what does someone try to steal from Elaine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator seem to feel about Cordelia during the first chapter of the novel?
2. How do Elaine's parents feel about Stephen's death?
3. How does Cordelia act when Elaine's father comes to check on the girls watching the parade?
4. At the art retrospective, what does Elaine wish she could ask Cordelia?
5. How does Elaine feel about Carol, Cordelia, and Grace when she sees them everyday after she starts sixth grade?
6. In the present time what does Elaine think of Toronto?
7. How does Elaine feel when she first meets Cordelia?
8. How and why do Elaine's feelings for Mrs. Smeath change?
9. What is the result of Elaine's mother's miscarriage?
10. What is the condition of the city where the narrator used to get off the streetcar, compared to how the narrator remembers it?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)