|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elaine keep in her pocket for protection?
(a) A fly trapped in amber.
(b) A polished stone.
(c) A cat's eye marble.
(d) A wilted daisy.
2. What careers do Elaine's daughters have?
(a) Accountant and doctor.
(b) Architect and dentist.
(c) Teacher and lawyer.
(d) Librarian and scientist.
3. What word does Elaine use to describe her profession?
4. Who does Elaine see on the escalator after she has her drink?
(a) A child who can't find his mother.
(b) An old school friend and her husband.
(c) A drunk woman asking for money.
(d) A dog running around without an owner.
5. What makes the narrator remember Cordelia?
(a) Finding an old photograph of the two of them together.
(b) Coming back to the town where they knew each other.
(c) Getting a postcard.
(d) Running across a mutual friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elaine dreams of Toronto, where is she?
2. What has someone drawn on the poster for her art exhibit that Elaine sees?
3. How did Elaine feel about coming to her art retrospective?
4. Who do the little girls from Elaine's memories remind her of?
5. Where do the girls stare at Elaine from as she walks home from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the paintings at the gallery organized when Elaine arrives at the art retrospective?
2. What gives Elaine a reprieve from the other girls' tormenting?
3. How does Elaine feel about Carol, Cordelia, and Grace when she sees them everyday after she starts sixth grade?
4. How does Elaine react whenever someone asks her for money?
5. What is the condition of the city where the narrator used to get off the streetcar, compared to how the narrator remembers it?
6. What is the major element of her life that Elaine comes to terms with at the end of the novel?
7. In the present time what does Elaine think of Toronto?
8. What makes Elaine feel out of place when she first goes to the art exhibit?
9. What do Elaine and Cordelia do at lunch time, when they first go to high school together?
10. Why doesn't Jon want to come to Elaine's art show?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)