|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elaine see on the escalator after she has her drink?
(a) A child who can't find his mother.
(b) A dog running around without an owner.
(c) A drunk woman asking for money.
(d) An old school friend and her husband.
2. Who do the little girls from Elaine's memories remind her of?
(a) Lady Macbeth.
(b) Frankenstein's monster.
(c) Joan of Arc.
(d) Marie Antoinette.
3. Does Elaine know about the interview?
(a) Yes, but she'd forgotten.
(b) Yes, she's looking forward to it.
(c) No, she's happily surprised.
(d) No, she's surprised and not happy.
4. What adjective did people use to describe Toronto in the past?
5. How old is the narrator in the book's first flashback?
(a) A teenager.
(b) A toddler.
(c) A baby.
(d) A college grad.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elaine think is telling her to die?
2. What is wrong with Grace Smeath's mother?
3. Who does Elaine pray to instead of God?
4. What relationship does Cordelia have to the narrator?
5. What do the girls make with weed flowers, nightshade berries, leaves, and horse chestnuts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elaine feel toward her ex-husband when she meets him again?
2. How and why do Elaine's feelings for Mrs. Smeath change?
3. What view did Elaine have of Toronto as a child?
4. What nightmares does Elaine have her senior year in high school?
5. What does Carol tell all the other children about Elaine?
6. Why do Jon and Elaine get married?
7. What do Elaine and Cordelia do at lunch time, when they first go to high school together?
8. What is the condition of the city where the narrator used to get off the streetcar, compared to how the narrator remembers it?
9. What does Elaine remember about her birthday after the incident with the hole?
10. How does Elaine behave during the interview?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)