|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the narrator remember Cordelia?
(a) Finding an old photograph of the two of them together.
(b) Coming back to the town where they knew each other.
(c) Running across a mutual friend.
(d) Getting a postcard.
2. What shape is the hole Cordelia begins to dig in the back yard?
3. What are the girls playing when they put Elaine into the hole?
(a) Bloody Mary.
(b) Mary of Guelders.
(c) Mary, Queen of Scots.
(d) Mary of Modena.
4. How does Elaine feel about the boys?
(a) As if they are out to get her.
(b) As if they are always watching her.
(c) As if they are on her side.
(d) As if she wants to hide from them.
5. What word does Elaine use to describe her profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offered Elaine a place to stay in Toronto?
2. What has someone drawn on the poster for her art exhibit that Elaine sees?
3. What does Elaine buy for the art exhibit?
4. What does Elaine keep in her pocket for protection?
5. What did Jon's ex-girlfriend throw at him and Elaine?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the present time what does Elaine think of Toronto?
2. Why doesn't Jon want to come to Elaine's art show?
3. How and why do Elaine's feelings for Mrs. Smeath change?
4. Throughout the novel, who does Elaine think she sees in crowds or around town?
5. Describe how Stephen dies.
6. How does Elaine feel when she sees her old school doesn't exist anymore?
7. What does Carol tell all the other children about Elaine?
8. What view did Elaine have of Toronto as a child?
9. What lie does Elaine tell to cover her suicide attempt, and why?
10. How does Elaine feel when she attributes her feelings to Cordelia, instead of to herself?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)