|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jon's ex-girlfriend throw at him and Elaine?
(d) Bread rolls.
2. What part of the narrator's body is bloodied?
(a) Her wrists.
(b) Her knee.
(c) Her fingers.
(d) Her nose.
3. What do the two women Elaine hears talking about her at the Smeath house call her?
(a) A heathen.
(b) a poor beggar.
(c) An urchin.
(d) A wildcat.
4. What does Elaine's mother tell her to do?
(a) Stand up for herself.
(b) Avoid the other girls.
(c) Ignore the other girls.
(d) Pretend everything is okay.
5. What is wrong with Grace Smeath's mother?
(a) Multiple sclerosis.
(b) A bad heart.
(c) Kidney failure.
(d) Lung cancer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elaine buy for the art exhibit?
2. What adjective did people use to describe Toronto in the past?
3. Why does Elaine stop reciting the prayers at church?
4. What does Cordelia warn that nightshade berries do?
5. What job does Elaine's father get in Toronto?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elaine feel about the woman who models for her first nude female drawing?
2. How does Josef react to Susie's injury?
3. What gives Elaine a reprieve from the other girls' tormenting?
4. How does Cordelia act when Elaine's father comes to check on the girls watching the parade?
5. What is Elaine's attitude toward marriage while she is dating Josef?
6. How does Elaine feel toward her ex-husband when she meets him again?
7. What is the condition of the city where the narrator used to get off the streetcar, compared to how the narrator remembers it?
8. What is the major element of her life that Elaine comes to terms with at the end of the novel?
9. What does the narrator think happens to things that are past?
10. What nightmares does Elaine have her senior year in high school?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)