|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Elaine's friends tell her about their bullying?
(a) That they are smarter and can outwit her.
(b) That they are preparing her for the real world.
(c) That they are bigger and stronger and she must obey.
(d) That they are trying to help her improve herself.
2. How does Mrs. Smeath characterize the children's mistreatment of Elaine?
(a) As God's punishment for Elaine.
(b) As a sin against God.
(c) As a sin against nature.
(d) As a crime.
3. How does Elaine feel about Grace Smeath's mother?
(a) She feels apologetic towar her.
(b) She feels badly for her.
(c) She dislikes her and avoids her.
(d) She loves her cooking.
4. Why does Elaine think Carol is a sissy?
(a) Carol won't fight with Elaine.
(b) Carol won't stand up for herself with the other kids.
(c) Carol thinks Elaine's father's lab is gross.
(d) Carol won't get her fancy dress dirty.
5. What do the girls put over Elaine?
(c) Palm leaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the new friend that Elaine makes?
2. When Elaine dreams of Toronto, where is she?
3. What shape is the hole Cordelia begins to dig in the back yard?
4. Who does Elaine think is telling her to die?
5. What relationship does Stephen have to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elaine think of Ben when she first meets him?
2. How does the narrator seem to feel about Cordelia during the first chapter of the novel?
3. What does the narrator imagine Cordelia inside of?
4. What does Elaine imagine will happen the day a famous figure is scheduled to come down her street in Toronto?
5. How does Elaine feel when she first meets Cordelia?
6. How does Josef react to Susie's injury?
7. While Elaine is dating both Josef and Jon, how does she feel about the two men?
8. In the last chapter, what does Elaine realize about the day she fell into the ravine?
9. Describe how Stephen dies.
10. How do Elaine's parents feel about Stephen's death?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)