|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Elaine know the Santa Claus in the parade is not the real Santa?
(a) No, she believes he is real.
(b) No, at first she thinks he isn't real, but she gets convinced during the parade.
(c) Yes, but not until her father tells her later.
(d) Yes, she knows he is someone dressed as Santa.
2. Where do Elaine and her friends watch the Christmas parade from?
(a) The roof of the school.
(b) Grace's mother's car.
(c) The top of a double-decker bus.
(d) The building where her father works.
3. How did Elaine feel about coming to her art retrospective?
(a) She didn't want to go.
(b) She wanted to go, but only stay for one day.
(c) She was thrilled and couldn't wait to leave.
(d) She was excited about going but worried about the expense.
4. What does the narrator say she's not ready to give up, even at fifty, though it's a nuisance?
5. The narrator thinks of time as having a what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elaine lie about the number of Valentines she got?
2. As a young girl, what does Elaine collect?
3. What do the two women Elaine hears talking about her at the Smeath house call her?
4. When Elaine dreams of Toronto, where is she?
5. What does Elaine have to drink while she's at the store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Josef react to Susie's injury?
2. What lie does Elaine tell to cover her suicide attempt, and why?
3. At the art retrospective, what does Elaine wish she could ask Cordelia?
4. What does Elaine remember about her birthday after the incident with the hole?
5. How does Elaine feel about playing with the other girls?
6. Why doesn't Jon want to come to Elaine's art show?
7. While Elaine is dating both Josef and Jon, how does she feel about the two men?
8. Describe Elaine's experience when the girls leave her in the hole.
9. How does the narrator seem to feel about Cordelia during the first chapter of the novel?
10. What does Elaine imagine will happen the day a famous figure is scheduled to come down her street in Toronto?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)