|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Elaine know the Santa Claus in the parade is not the real Santa?
(a) No, at first she thinks he isn't real, but she gets convinced during the parade.
(b) Yes, but not until her father tells her later.
(c) Yes, she knows he is someone dressed as Santa.
(d) No, she believes he is real.
2. What job does Elaine give up?
(a) Babysitting for a neighbor after school.
(b) Taking a neighbor's baby for strolls around the block.
(c) Walking a neighbor's dog.
(d) Mowing the neighbors' lawns.
3. What is one of Elaine's favorite childhood games?
4. What is Cordelia digging a hole for?
(a) A clubhouse.
(b) A racetrack.
(c) A dollhouse.
(d) A swimming pool.
5. What do Elaine's friends say she's done wrong that makes them not speak to her at the Christmas parade?
(a) They say she's worn the wrong dress.
(b) They say she's insulted them, but they won't say how.
(c) They say she's said something wrong, but they won't say what.
(d) They say she's grown too tall.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Smeath characterize the children's mistreatment of Elaine?
2. Why does Elaine think Carol is a sissy?
3. What job does Elaine's father get in Toronto?
4. What is wrong with Grace Smeath's mother?
5. What do the girls make with weed flowers, nightshade berries, leaves, and horse chestnuts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elaine try to frighten Cordelia in tenth grade?
2. What do Elaine and Cordelia do at lunch time, when they first go to high school together?
3. Throughout the novel, who does Elaine think she sees in crowds or around town?
4. How do Elaine's parents feel about Stephen's death?
5. What nightmares does Elaine have her senior year in high school?
6. What is Elaine's attitude toward marriage while she is dating Josef?
7. What gives Elaine a reprieve from the other girls' tormenting?
8. How does Cordelia act when Elaine's father comes to check on the girls watching the parade?
9. What lie does Elaine tell to cover her suicide attempt, and why?
10. What is the major element of her life that Elaine comes to terms with at the end of the novel?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)