|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Elaine feel about coming to her art retrospective?
(a) She wanted to go, but only stay for one day.
(b) She was thrilled and couldn't wait to leave.
(c) She didn't want to go.
(d) She was excited about going but worried about the expense.
2. What are the girls playing when they put Elaine into the hole?
(a) Mary, Queen of Scots.
(b) Bloody Mary.
(c) Mary of Modena.
(d) Mary of Guelders.
3. Who does Elaine think is telling her to die?
(b) Her mother.
(d) Her inner self.
4. Why does Elaine make mistakes on her Sunday School tests?
(a) So the girls won't call her a goody-goody.
(b) Because she doesn't study.
(c) Because Cordelia is blackmailing her.
(d) Because she gets nervous when taking tests.
5. What does Cordelia do after Elaine is sick from being in the cold water?
(a) She feels truly sorry and gives Elaine a gift.
(b) She makes an apology she doesn't mean.
(c) She refuses to apologize, although she gets in trouble.
(d) She sends Elaine a card to apologize, and Elaine can't tell if it's sincere.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Elaine color differently with her friends than with her brother?
2. What does Cordelia want to punish Elaine for, after the incident with the cold water?
3. What adjective did people use to describe Toronto in the past?
4. What does the narrator compare time to?
5. Who would the narrator and Cordelia analyze on the streetcars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the major element of her life that Elaine comes to terms with at the end of the novel?
2. What does the narrator imagine Cordelia inside of?
3. How does Cordelia act when Elaine's father comes to check on the girls watching the parade?
4. What lie does Elaine tell to cover her suicide attempt, and why?
5. How does Elaine react to the other girls' bullying?
6. What do Elaine and Cordelia do at lunch time, when they first go to high school together?
7. What is Stephen worried about, when Elaine goes to high school?
8. What gives Elaine a reprieve from the other girls' tormenting?
9. How does the narrator seem to feel about Cordelia during the first chapter of the novel?
10. What does the narrator think happens to things that are past?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)