|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Elaine think Carol is a sissy?
(a) Carol won't stand up for herself with the other kids.
(b) Carol thinks Elaine's father's lab is gross.
(c) Carol won't get her fancy dress dirty.
(d) Carol won't fight with Elaine.
2. What does John make for a living?
(a) Wrapping paper designs.
(b) Resin body parts for movies.
(c) Strange shaped bottles for soft drinks.
(d) Chairs shaped like ordinary objects.
3. Does Elaine color differently with her friends than with her brother?
(a) Yes, she colors differently in the world of girls.
(b) Yes, because she is getting older and better at coloring.
(c) No, she colors exactly the same.
(d) No, but she colors more with the girls.
4. What makes the narrator remember Cordelia?
(a) Getting a postcard.
(b) Coming back to the town where they knew each other.
(c) Running across a mutual friend.
(d) Finding an old photograph of the two of them together.
5. What shape is the hole Cordelia begins to dig in the back yard?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator say she's not ready to give up, even at fifty, though it's a nuisance?
2. What is Ben's advice to Elaine about going to the art retrospective?
3. How does Mrs. Smeath characterize the children's mistreatment of Elaine?
4. What do Elaine's friends tell her about their bullying?
5. Who do the little girls from Elaine's memories remind her of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Stephen dies.
2. What is the result of Elaine's mother's miscarriage?
3. How does Elaine feel when she attributes her feelings to Cordelia, instead of to herself?
4. What does Elaine imagine will happen the day a famous figure is scheduled to come down her street in Toronto?
5. What does Elaine remember about her birthday after the incident with the hole?
6. How does Elaine react whenever someone asks her for money?
7. How and why do Elaine's feelings for Mrs. Smeath change?
8. How does Elaine feel about the women she talks to at the art retrospective?
9. What is Stephen worried about, when Elaine goes to high school?
10. How does the narrator seem to feel about Cordelia during the first chapter of the novel?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)