|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Elaine's father?
(a) He has died.
(b) He has retired and stopped going out.
(c) He has divorced his wife.
(d) He has stopped talking to Elaine.
2. In the play Cordelia is in, what is the cabbage supposed to be?
(a) A basketball.
(b) A baby.
(c) A severed head.
(d) An old toy.
3. What does Elaine do at the studio, after the art retrospective?
(a) Make eggs.
(b) Take a bath.
(d) Throw things.
4. How does Josef begin to treat Elaine?
(a) He constantly apologizes and acts weak.
(b) He tells her how to dress and wear her hair.
(c) He is jealous, follows her, and threatens her.
(d) He ignores her.
5. What artists are represented at Elaine's first art show?
(a) All women artists.
(b) All artists from Elaine's art class.
(c) Outsider artists.
(d) Only Elaine.
6. What is malfunctioning in Elaine and Jon's apartment?
(a) The heat.
(b) The water.
(c) The air conditioning.
(d) The electricity.
7. What type of clothes does Elaine wear in college?
(a) Short skirts and revealing tops.
(b) T-shirts and a long, leather jacket.
(c) Black turtlenecks and jeans.
(d) White flowing dresses.
8. How does Elaine describe herself in the eleventh grade?
(a) As having a mean mouth.
(b) As having a nose for trouble.
(c) As having burning ears.
(d) As having angry eyes.
9. What does Elaine's therapist accuse her of?
(a) Hiding things.
(b) Not facing her problems.
(c) Trying to be perfect.
(d) Not trusting men.
10. How long ago did Stephen die?
(a) Five years.
(b) Twelve years.
(c) Two years.
(d) Ten years.
11. What do the people of Mexico leave for the dead that Elaine muses about?
(b) Flower petals.
(d) Boxes of sand.
12. How does Elaine feel when she leaves the retrospective for the studio?
13. What does Elaine do to her hair when she's in eighth grade?
(a) She straightens it.
(b) She curls it.
(c) She dyes it.
(d) She cuts it short.
14. What has happened to Elaine's mother?
(a) She is living abroad in Asia.
(b) She is dying of an illness.
(c) She is going blind.
(d) She is starting a knitting business.
15. What movie does Elaine think could have been directed by Josef?
(a) One where a man fled from all his relationships.
(b) One where a man jumped off a bridge for a woman.
(c) One where a woman went crazy because of men.
(d) One where a painter fell in love with his student.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cordelia look when Elaine visits her after Cordelia moves?
2. What old route does Elaine walk?
3. Who contradicts Elaine's thoughts at the end of Chapter 14?
4. When Cordelia was young, what did she drink to avoid school?
5. What does Jon call Elaine?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)