|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elaine actually feel when she finally sees Cordelia at the rest home?
(a) Angry at herself.
(b) Numb and empty.
(d) Glad to see her.
2. Why did Cordelia dig holes in the yard when she was young?
(a) To sit in them and feel safe.
(b) To put her dolls in them.
(c) As traps for her parents.
(d) As traps for animals.
3. What does the Middle Eastern woman ask Elaine for money for?
(a) To buy cigarettes.
(b) To feed her children.
(c) To buy a bus ticket.
(d) A place to stay.
4. What does Charna say that the attendees at the art retrospective feel about Elaine?
5. What job does Elaine get after leaving Jon?
(a) Painting restorer.
(b) Mural painter.
(c) Interior designer.
(d) Furniture refinisher.
6. What time does Elaine wake at the beginning of Chapter 13?
(a) Early, but she thinks she's late.
(b) On time.
7. What does Elaine do to her hair when she's in eighth grade?
(a) She cuts it short.
(b) She straightens it.
(c) She curls it.
(d) She dyes it.
8. Why is Cordelia in Elaine's class in high school?
(a) She ran away from home for a year.
(b) She failed her first year and was expelled from her school.
(c) She went to Europe for a year with her mother.
(d) She had to leave school for a year because she was sick.
9. Is the art retrospective a success?
(a) Yes, and Elaine's mind is relieved.
(b) Yes, but that doesn't seem important to Elaine.
(c) No, but only because of Elaine's attitude.
(d) No, it seems a horrible failure.
10. How does Cordelia do on her exams?
(a) She passes all but one of them.
(b) She fails them.
(c) She doesn't take them.
(d) She passes all of them.
11. Where is the bar that Elaine meets Jon for a drink?
(a) At the university.
(b) In a basement downtown.
(c) On the roof of a hotel.
(d) Above a pool hall.
12. How does Elaine think Cordelia might react to the article?
(a) By rolling her eyes.
(b) By crying.
(c) By getting angry.
(d) By laughing.
13. How does Cordelia feel when Elaine insults her?
14. What does Elaine's mother talk about?
(a) Stephen as a grown man.
(b) Stephen as a young child.
(c) Stephen as a teenager.
(d) Stephen's death.
15. What old route does Elaine walk?
(a) The route to the train station.
(b) The route from school.
(c) The route to church.
(d) The route to her art class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the bridge over the ravine?
2. Is Elaine's ex-husband on time?
3. How does Elaine feel when she leaves the retrospective for the studio?
4. Who killed Stephen?
5. How does Elaine believe Josef thought of women?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)